It seems you can no longer buy orbs through emulators

LuxSpes

16 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I can't answer that, sadly. I haven't tried before since orbs don't carry over between Android / iOS, and now I don't want to try given this thread. Is there confirmation that the "ban" doesn't bar unrooted mobile devices from buying orbs with an affected account? That, and I haven't been able to get google play store to work on my end. How did you install the app?

Ghast released an update video saying that he was able to buy orbs on his afflected account through his phone. And I had to used QooApp to get an  up to date APK of the game in order to play it on Bluestacks and I heard it's pretty much the same with Nox.

13 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

a used phone should be $100 max. you can play it at a better convenient. but its your choice.

considering you spend money on the game.. i suppose $100 on a used phone via kijiji (Android 4) ... you should be good to go

I am due to get a new phone anyway and I have money stored to buy one with my cellphone company so that won't be a problem.

Though now that I had the chance to calm down and saw that my account is still fine, I'm in no rush to buy orbs. I guess I'll be able to see for myself if it's an account wide limitation or just tied to rooted devices when I get a new phone.

I hope this thread serves more as a PSA from now on for other paying players that use emulators and helps prevent people from panicking like I did.

What exactly is this rooting thing? I don't know much about phones, so I just want to see if mine could ever be at risk of this ban. It's an Android.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What exactly is this rooting thing? I don't know much about phones, so I just want to see if mine could ever be at risk of this ban. It's an Android.

If you don't know what it is, unless you bought a used phone I can guarantee that your phone is not rooted.  

(iirc it's to manually edit stuff on your phone).

If you don't know what rooting is, you're never going to be banned.

Rooting is essentially getting administration access to your phone (which is a computer) so you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

Like removing all those stupid bloatware apps (apps that are unnecessary, slow down the system, hardly used, and take up space... and you can never normally uninstall them).

Or switching my phone language to Japanese when the option is hidden for US phone users.

Edited by shadowofchaos

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

If you don't know what it is, unless you bought a used phone I can guarantee that your phone is not rooted.  

(iirc it's to manually edit stuff on your phone).

Well, since I don't know much about phones, I don't know if I could accidentally root my phone one day.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I don't think I'll ever have that happen, but who knows...

Edited by Anacybele

27 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

...well then. I'm just going to have to buy orbs on a tablet. If we get a tablet.

Because my phone is rooted and I just got the message.

Well done, Nintendo.

...not.

I'm still trying to understand how they benefit from this decision since they cut themselves from a lot of potential buyers.

8 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

I'm still trying to understand how they benefit from this decision since they cut themselves from a lot of potential buyers.

I don't even get the logic here.

It can't be abuse.

There is no orb injection with hacks/rooted phones.

Hackers wouldn't buy orbs anyway.

I sometimes wanna question their logic.

Customer: Hi, I'd like to order some food.
Developers: Nope, you're *insert racist comment*
Customer: But, I'm buying your stuff! What gives?!
Developers: Nope.
Customer: How about I buy everything on the menu?
Customer: Seriously?! I'm giving you money! Here! Take the money!

23 minutes ago, Falcom said:

I sometimes wanna question their logic.

Customer: Hi, I'd like to order some food.
Developers: Nope, you're *insert racist comment*
Customer: But, I'm buying your stuff! What gives?!
Customer: How about I buy everything on the menu?
Customer: Seriously?! I'm giving you money! Here! Take the money!

I still think it's more an issue with Google than with Nintendo.  Hasn't Bluestacks had issues with Google Play Store before?

If the issue were strictly that Nintendo didn't like emulators and rooted phones, they'd just outright ban people like other games do, rather than simply bar them from making purchases.

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

I still think it's more an issue with Google than with Nintendo.  Hasn't Bluestacks had issues with Google Play Store before?

If the issue were strictly that Nintendo didn't like emulators and rooted phones, they'd just outright ban people like other games do, rather than simply bar them from making purchases.

It could be since the I didn't get the in-app error right away when I went on the store page. I had to actually select one of the orb package and I got a message from Google that said something like 'there is nothing to purchase'. 

Curiously enough, it seems that transactions could possibly be made through emulators already modified to use microG (as per aacprime's instructions, more or less) to bypass the SafetyNet check. Quite possibly lends more credence to the theory that it is SafetyNet, rather than some purposeful action by IS, that is causing this (though of course it could just be both.)

Unfortunately, when I made the transition to microG, it was kind of a rush job because I cared more about just getting the game itself to work rather than cleanly ironing out any issues (like not having a working Geocoder because microG is apparently only compatible with Nominatim and that doesn't work, sigh), so trying to actually go through with the transaction just crashed Google Play and then crashed the game. The documentation on getting microG and Google Play Services / IAP to work nicely together is unfortunately very sparse... I'm hoping to test some more on it though, I can at least see the option to make a transaction, unlike on my usual emulator that I do that on (BlueStacks).

...There's also the fact that I use BlueStacks to make transactions because Nox couldn't when I'd tried it way back when, but hey, one step at a time I guess. BlueStacks seriously needs to come with root since it's already an emulator and can't really hide it but lol.

Edited by Sarquael

Same case here since today. My smart phone is too old so I play this game on emulator since last month. I spent around $500 already, and today I also want to buy some orbs but this error happened. I think this is Nintendo begun to against the hacker to cheat on orbs. So emulator and any phone device they think suspicious will also ban to buy orbs. Sad but I have no idea to solve this problem now, only one way is buy a new phone device or borrow some other phone device from friend or family.

I'm not care spend around few hundreds in a month to play this game, but now I maybe quit just because they don't allow me to purchase on emulator. Be honest I'm not willing to buy a new phone because my phone device is out of the question and works fine for everything.

4 minutes ago, lifeisfkup said:

Same case here since today. My smart phone is too old so I play this game on emulator since last month. I spent around $500 already, and today I also want to buy some orbs but this error happened. I think this is Nintendo begun to against the hacker to cheat on orbs. So emulator and any phone device they think suspicious will also ban to buy orbs. Sad but I have no idea to solve this problem now, only one way is buy a new phone device or borrow some other phone device from friend or family.

I'm not care spend around few hundreds in a month to play this game, but now I maybe quit just because they don't allow me to purchase on emulator. Be honest I'm not willing to buy a new phone because my phone device is out of the question and works fine for everything.

just same with Ghast's video: 

Edited by lifeisfkup

1 minute ago, lifeisfkup said:

JJ48 and Sarquael raised the possibility that it might an issue with Google's SafetyNet instead of Nintendo actively blocking rooted devices and emulators. We'll have to wait and see if it get fixed.

Also, you shouldn't double post and instead edit your first comment.

9 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

JJ48 and Sarquael raised the possibility that it might an issue with Google's SafetyNet instead of Nintendo actively blocking rooted devices and emulators. We'll have to wait and see if it get fixed.

Also, you shouldn't double post and instead edit your first comment.

Be honest, I don't think Nintendo can against with google, so it's really upset...

And I apology for the double post, because I'm first time to this forum.

Just now, lifeisfkup said:

Be honest, I don't think Nintendo can against with google, so it's really upset...

And I apology for the double post, because I'm first time to this forum.

If it's google reinforcing SafetyNet, maybe emulators will find a way to sidestep it again in the future.

And welcome to the forum! You might want to go take a look at the Forum's Code of Conduct to make sure you're aware of all the rules beside the double post one ^^

19 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

If it's google reinforcing SafetyNet, maybe emulators will find a way to sidestep it again in the future.

And welcome to the forum! You might want to go take a look at the Forum's Code of Conduct to make sure you're aware of all the rules beside the double post one ^^

I suppose I'll borrow an unroot phone from my family to purchase for Spring Festival summon in this time, and I maybe F2P in the future.
Also I have one thing afraid that they banned to purchase on emulator today, what if they banned to play on emulator/ rooted device later...

5 minutes ago, lifeisfkup said:

I suppose I'll borrow an unroot phone from my family to purchase for Spring Festival summon in this time, and I maybe F2P in the future.
Also I have one thing afraid that they banned to purchase on emulator today, what if they banned to play on emulator/ rooted device later...

That latter the point is the one that makes me nervous, which is that Nintendo will eventually do a blanket account ban to rooted device, but I'm not sure if it's feasible (I'll try to get an actual smartphone as soon as possible, but for more reasons than just Heroes)

Interesting.  I suspect this is as people have pointed out a transaction issue with rooted non standard OS's between Google and payment methods rather than Nintendo.  None the less its an interesting choice.