The identity of Masked Knight

If you have seen the new japanese overview trailer you already know that they're adding another brand new character.

The most suspicious thing about this is how Celica and the new character more or less have the same color scheme. Also the fact that it gets its own CG means it's a pretty important scene.

So I've got two ideas.

a) More realistic version. Celica isn't the last survivor of Sofian royal family and they managed to hide another kid. It might not be her brother but it could be her cousin.
If Alm gets a new cousin (Berkut), Celica deserves one too. Especially if it's someone who could fill Cavalier slot in Celica's party (sorry, Atlas).

b) This one is much more unlikely but knowing IS and their weird decisions it's not impossible. They are bringing back time traveling children and this guy is Celica's son. Doesn't help that "masked child from the future protects her relatives" was already in Awakening. Another worrying thing is that both time traveling portals in Awakening (rewatch Cataclysm) and Mila's turnwheel use Zodiac signs... but so did Starsphere Shards in Mystery.  I hope I'm just being paranoid.

So I really doubt it's an ordinary Cavalier. Actually, another suspicious thing is overabudance of new Cavalier characters yet no signs of Zeak.

Edited by Cat Villager

If it's Celica's son, I'll eat my own socks.

I'm on the side thinking it's her brother or cousin. Regardless, he's voiced by Ono Daisuke, so he has a great setup to be a happy addition to my "Favorite Echoes Characters" list.

I feel like hes probably a relative of Celica from the color scheme. I would be kinda annoyed if they pulled the whole awakening time travel stuff, but hopefully that is unlikely.

I just hope he's playable. I like his design.a lot, and a playable cavalier on Celica's side would be nice.

10 minutes ago, Cat Villager said:

This one is much more unlikely but knowing IS and their weird decisions it's not impossible. They are bringing back time traveling children and this guy is Celica's son. Doesn't help that "masked child from the future protects her relatives" was already in Awakening. Another worrying thing is that both time traveling portals in Awakening (rewatch Cataclysm) and Mila's turnwheel use Zodiac signs... but so did Starsphere Shards in Mystery.  I hope I'm just being paranoid.

I actually thought of this and keep telling myself this is not possible... is it? Please.

I think the first option is the most plausible and intriguing plotwise.

TBH, if the Masked Knight is not Celica's brother/cousin, I will eat my shoe, sock and foot. I personally wouldn't mind them changing the plot to include him. If anything I think it would be nice for Celica to have some family.

However, if he is her son from the future, I will be pissed. I know I'm gonna love this game regardless, but I am sick of fucking children in FE recently. FEA's were a nice throwback to FE4 and they genuinely were decent characters IMO, but Fates just shoehorned them in with a shitty explanation. Pls IntSys don't do this to me.

There will be canon marriages through S supports and Mila's Turnwheel bring the children to the present.

Hopefully this doesn't happen. But we know what IS would do.

Edited by Aera

I think it's pretty likely that he's another survivor of the Zofian royal family, and wears the mask to hide his identity. He's probably gonna join Celica's group, seeing as Alm's also gets an entirely new character.

My guess is he joins at the end of chapter 2, because the scene with him shows a castle wall with the Zofian symbol on a flag. He will probably already appear in chapter 1 and fight alongside the Deliverance, but decides to go with Celica once he meets her.

6 minutes ago, Night Zap said:

My guess is he joins at the end of chapter 2

I think you can see him in the map before Deen/Sonya in one of last week's english trailers. I remember seeing people thinking it was Atlas at first because of his red hair amd being a Cav, but it'd make more sense for it to be this guy.

8 minutes ago, Aera said:

I have this immense sense of dread for this.

10 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I think you can see him in the map before Deen/Sonya in one of last week's english trailers. I remember seeing people thinking it was Atlas at first because of his red hair amd being a Cav, but it'd make more sense for it to be this guy.

I'm pretty sure the cav was Atlas. I just went back and watched the trailer (Being the Two Armies one) and the sprite had white hair and dark skin, just like Atlas. Unless of coarse I was watching the wrong trailer.

1 minute ago, Azz said:

I'm pretty sure the cav was Atlas. I just went back and watched the trailer (Being the Two Armies one) and the sprite had white hair and dark skin, just like Atlas. Unless of coarse I was watching the wrong trailer.

Ah, you are correct. I guess I just remembered wrong, or I never gave the gave a good enough look.

IMG_3083.PNG

23 minutes ago, Aera said:

There will be canon marriages through S supports and Mila's Turnwheel bring the children to the present.

Hell no. They've made a point of removing pair-up and making supports similar to the GBA games, as well as keeping Gaiden's overall feel.

Anyways, the Masked Knight is likely a brother/cousin of Celica's, what with the identical hair color and armor shade.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Hell no. They've made a point of removing pair-up and making supports similar to the GBA games, as well as keeping Gaiden's overall feel.

Fair point. That's what gives me hope children are not in this game.

I think that it's just a generic soldier or a member of the royal guard given his name is masked soldier (I believe). I find it unlikely that it is a relative to celica because a) That would make him the successor to the zofian throne, effectively rewriting the entire epilogue if Gaiden, and b) It was a major plot point in Gaiden that the entire royal family was killed. This may be a scene where her older brother is protecting her from Desaix while she escapes, but if it were then Celica would probably look younger. (What does he say in japanese?)

12 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

I think that it's just a generic soldier or a member of the royal guard given his name is masked soldier

Royal guard is possible, but making his hair color the same as Celica's has to be for some reason. He also sounds like he's voiced by Ono Daisuke, who has a thing for voicing semi-important characters in FE (Frederick and Kaze). Though I agree his being her brother is unlikely, being her cousin wouldn't interfere with her claim to the throne while also having the drama behind him being a surviving member of the royal family. He could have a bunch of scars under his mask and armor where he was attacked by Desaix's men? Who knows.

I believe a rough translation of the text is "if you want to live, escape while you can" or something. Feel free to correct me on that.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

5 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I believe a rough translation of the text is "if you want to live, escape while you can" or something. Feel free to correct me on that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is fairly accurate. Though I do think it;s more along the lines of 'If you value your life' or something like that, but they are pretty much the same :P.

Looking more at the Masked Knight, I definitely can't see him as Celica's future child cause he doesn't look enough like Alm IMO (I mean, he would probably have more of a combination of Alm and Celica's hair colours). But I can see him maybe being an outcast bastard child since King Lima did seem to have a lot of women around him and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a child or two with a few of them especially considering...

Spoiler

Celica's mother died soon after giving birth to her.

Maybe there is possibly a similar thing like with Garon and concubines going on.

He's going to be a member of the Zophian royal family, probably an older brother or cousin of Celica. In true Char clone fashion he'll be serving Desaix in order to get his revenge on him and then potentially join the heroes once Desaix is defeated, but he'll probably stop at Zeta-era Char and remain a hero although if he somehow finds a way to drop an asteroid on Valentia I'd be cool with that too. He'll then abdicate the throne in favor of Celica at the end of the game and disappear to Mars somewhere else, presumably with his love interest if they choose to give him one.

5 hours ago, boarbaque said:

Maybe Cain and Abel are in it, since Berkut is most likely gonna be Alm's route, that's two new characters needed for Celica's route. They're pulling Sirius's before Sirius is able to!

How?

8 hours ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

I think that it's just a generic soldier or a member of the royal guard given his name is masked soldier (I believe). I find it unlikely that it is a relative to celica because a) That would make him the successor to the zofian throne, effectively rewriting the entire epilogue if Gaiden, and b) It was a major plot point in Gaiden that the entire royal family was killed. This may be a scene where her older brother is protecting her from Desaix while she escapes, but if it were then Celica would probably look younger. (What does he say in japanese?)

Keep in mind that the guy can still bite the dust before the game ends. 

Anyway, you rarely give masks to random people. Have their faces partially covered by helmets like with the generic soldiers, sure, but masks are dramatic business. I must admit I'm a bit skeptical of this guy's inclusion if he turns out to be one of Celica's relatives, but hey, who knows, it might turn out well.

8 hours ago, Azz said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is fairly accurate. Though I do think it;s more along the lines of 'If you value your life' or something like that, but they are pretty much the same :P.

Looking more at the Masked Knight, I definitely can't see him as Celica's future child cause he doesn't look enough like Alm IMO (I mean, he would probably have more of a combination of Alm and Celica's hair colours). But I can see him maybe being an outcast bastard child since King Lima did seem to have a lot of women around him and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a child or two with a few of them especially considering...

Hide contents

Celica's mother died soon after giving birth to her.

Maybe there is possibly a similar thing like with Garon and concubines going on.

I really like this idea, it gives Celica a long lost relative sibling drama, daddy got some 'splainin' to do and if he's a bastard, Celica's claim to the throne isn't threatened either. He could become a duke though, but knowing FE, he'll probably just disappear to the Outrealms some distant faraway land and we'll never know.

6 minutes ago, Pikappa93 said:

I don't think he could be Marth since his hair color really doesn't match.

It's a wig he's wearing.

I don't think any of these are actually true. But if they went the opposite of Awakening to surprise us, it would be quite fun.

So here's an interesting thought; what if this is a character we've already seen from Awakening? If/Fates had the inclusion of the three most popular children from Awakening, who's to say that they won't sprinkle in a few more for these new slots? It's a bit of a stretch, but this Masked Knight could very well be Gerome (Masked Rider) being given a different hair color a la Inigo with a slightly less conspicuous design this time around. I don't think they'd be able to get away with having identical characters across games turn out to be the same people again from a  'le gasp, twist' standpoint again; need to get more creative this time.

Not saying I particularly want this outcome, but it's a possible avenue, especially if there turns out to be another new character on Alm's side that has a passing resemblence to any of the other Awakening kids (perhapse Noire or Laurent?)...