Lyn should have used Murgleis

Jotari

Lyn should have used Murgleis  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Lyn should have used Murgleis

• I agree! Legendary Weapons for everyone!
    • I disagree! Those Sol Katti animations are too sweet.
    • Would have made sense if she was a Bow Lord to begin with.

It's just so lame that Lyn gets a random weapon we've never heard of before while Eliwood and Hector get a legit legendary weapon. Plus, given how Lyn is basically a nomad without a horse, I think Mulgreis would have fit her perfectly.

Either that, or go with the original idea like Hardin said and give Durandal to Lyn (and Maltet to Eliwood so everyone gets a legendary weapon).

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, GonzoMD1993 said:

It's just so lame that Lyn gets a random weapon we've never heard of before while Eliwood and Hector get a legit legendary weapon. Plus, given how Lyn is basically a nomad without a horse, I think Mulgreis would have fit her perfectly.

Either that, or go with the original idea like Hardin said and give Durandal to Lyn (and Maltet to Eliwood so everyone gets a legendary weapon).

That definitely would've been cool as it would've represented the entire weapon triangle. 

My best guess is the reason they gave Eliwood swords/Durandal, when in FE6 and prototypes of FE7, he had a S rank in Lances was because Lyn was going to be a main character with her own story outside of the prologue, but lack of time to create a third campaign led to it being cut. They felt they had to use Eliwood, Roy's father, and they had to have a Durandal wielding hero, so hence Lyn losing Durandal.

I think the original choices made the most sense.

Hector is basically a General, so he gets axes.

Eliwood is basically a Paladin, so he gets lances.

Lyn is basically a Swordmaster, so she gets swords.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

On 8/30/2017 at 2:18 PM, Tenzen12 said:

Well, yeah, but even with lesser weight it would be still completely random weapon  that was never seen before and  neither ever after. 

Wouldn't two unique swords be better than some legendaries that were used by others in FE6? IS could have written a back story about the two blades to hype them up. The tutorial was a great place to show such a back story for Mani Katti and could even hint at the existence of Sol Katti. 

Not only that, but giving her a Scouring weapon fits better with the other lord weapons.  Eliwood and Hector get Durandal and Armads, pulling a weapon out of thin air for Lyn makes her seem... left out.  Mulagir/Murgleis already had an established place in the lore, whereas the Sol Katti just sort of... exists and that's really my main problem with it, even moreso than it's absurd weight.

On 9/1/2017 at 1:10 AM, Tenzen12 said:

Not really. Manni Kati is fine, it has history behind it, it's part of Sacae'd culture, but where was Sol Katti that whole time, why noone ever heard about it, even though it's supposed be Manni twin sword?

It might have been hidden away in the same temple as the Mani Katti, but in a room few know about.

Edited by Just call me AL

Maybe they really really wanted to have the set, haha.

Anyway, I agree on the matter of Murgleis. Although, if I might add, if Lyn had indeed obtained Murgleis, I think it would've also been a nice detail if it had also gotten its own gameplay Chapter to obtain it. Not just to be also on the same level as obtaining Durandal and Armads were, but also since Murgleis is also the only Divine Weapon we never see its resting place in Binding Blade. In its gaiden, you are instead ambushing the Djute remmants while they're moving the weapon to hide it, so you never saw its actual resting place. Would've been a good chance to finally see it.

Amusingly, with the Kattis, it does make Sacae seem to have quite a few special swords around. The Wo Dao (at least in Elibe's continuity) is also a sword heavily tied to the country, to the point only Myrmidons, Swordmasters, and Lyn can use it. Granted, there is more than one Wo Dao, but still...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Amusingly, with the Kattis, it does make Sacae seem to have quite a few special swords around. The Wo Dao (at least in Elibe's continuity) is also a sword heavily tied to the country, to the point only Myrmidons, Swordmasters, and Lyn can use it. Granted, there is more than one Wo Dao, but still...

A school of swordsmanship centered around the wo dao? I can buy it. Does this make the Kattis special wo daos?

10 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

A school of swordsmanship centered around the wo dao? I can buy it. Does this make the Kattis special wo daos?

Might be possible. It could also say something about Karel, Karla, and Fir, considering they all carry one (well, Karla's most likely passed down to Fir, but still), implying the use of Wo Dao is a family thing for them. By itself, the Wo Dao doesn't seem special, its name is even just "Japanese Sword" in Chinese, apparently. But its exclusive use on Myrmidons and Swordmasters, which in Elibe are pretty much pseudo-exclusive to Sacae as the Nomad/NomadTroopers are, could, or can imply stuff.

As for the Kattis... could be. Manni and Sol refers to the Moon and Sun. So for all intents and purposes, they could have literal terms of Moon Katana and Sun Katana.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 9/2/2017 at 0:48 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Anyway, I agree on the matter of Murgleis. Although, if I might add, if Lyn had indeed obtained Murgleis, I think it would've also been a nice detail if it had also gotten its own gameplay Chapter to obtain it. Not just to be also on the same level as obtaining Durandal and Armads were, but also since Murgleis is also the only Divine Weapon we never see its resting place in Binding Blade. In its gaiden, you are instead ambushing the Djute remmants while they're moving the weapon to hide it, so you never saw its actual resting place. Would've been a good chance to finally see it.

That's a really good point and would have been pretty cool if they went that route. Not sure how it would work with the whole Eliwood/Hector mode without rewriting Lyn's entire presence in the game (which I doubt few people would actually object to).

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's a really good point and would have been pretty cool if they went that route. Not sure how it would work with the whole Eliwood/Hector mode without rewriting Lyn's entire presence in the game (which I doubt few people would actually object to).

Well, you wouldn't need to rewrite the other modes. The hypothetical Murgleis chapter could've just appeared in both. Considering Athos is already warping the group around, it wouldn't be hard to pull off.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, you wouldn't need to rewrite the other modes. The hypothetical Murgleis chapter could've just appeared in both. Considering Athos is already warping the group around, it wouldn't be hard to pull off.

I feel like that would cause the players to just question why we've got weapons for two of the lords and not the third. In which case you'd need to have all three included in a single playthrough. Which then again would make the Hector and Eliwood modes feel more samey(though now that I question it I can't really think of any strong justification as to why both those modes even exist).

33 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I feel like that would cause the players to just question why we've got weapons for two of the lords and not the third. In which case you'd need to have all three included in a single playthrough. Which then again would make the Hector and Eliwood modes feel more samey(though now that I question it I can't really think of any strong justification as to why both those modes even exist).

To be fair, Hector's mode does show the heroes still picking up Durandal, just as a cutscene (hard to avoid, considering what happens just outside the cave). It's only in Eliwood's mode that Armads also seemingly shows up out of nowhere, like the Sol Katti (but at least you can easily think Athos went himself for it, since Binding Blade already showed it existed and where and stuff). Then again, Hector's mode makes it a point to show things either from his POV, or that he witnessed but Eliwood didn't. And dialogue in the Armads chapter has him alone, implying Eliwood and Lyn weren't there when he obtained it (nevermind that you can still deploy them).

Or, as an alternate suggestion, make it a gaiden chapter.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 6:41 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

Not only that, but giving her a Scouring weapon fits better with the other lord weapons.  Eliwood and Hector get Durandal and Armads, pulling a weapon out of thin air for Lyn makes her seem... left out.  Mulagir/Murgleis already had an established place in the lore, whereas the Sol Katti just sort of... exists and that's really my main problem with it, even moreso than it's absurd weight.

I honestly never thought about it this way. When I was younger, my experience to Fire Emblem being limited to Fire Emblem, I always thought it was cool that each of the Lords got a cool new weapon. Now that I know that Lyn's just...appears, it makes the existence of the sword a bit sad to me. Sort of like IS just went, "Oh hey, she needs one too..."

I also didn't really like the Sol Katti when I was younger. I didn't look or care about the stats, but I saw that other weapons, like the Mani Katti, achieved the results I wanted better than the Sol Katti, so it sort of just sat there in subsequent playthroughs. The beginning and end of it's legend.

While bit sidestepping here, I think Lyn also should get crit rate bonus with promotion too. I mean she is myrmidon based right? She would get much better evaluation as lord unit if she did.

Edited by Tenzen12

I thought Sol Katti was cool myself esp with its unique animations but the fact NoA -added those in- really shows that Lyn was getting the short stick here. I saw someone mention Eliwood might've meant to have been a lance lord at first and I can see that: there's beta animations for Lyn with Durandel, and Eliwood in FE6 was a paladin with a high lance rating. Either way, Murgleis would've been cool, but the problem is if you don't level/promote Lyn she can't use it. Granted the odds of doing that are slim, but I guess they wanted Lyn to have a weapon she could technically use regardless if she was promoted or not? Even if realistically an unpromoted Lyn should not be fighting at all in the final chapter... ech!

However given she shows up as basically a nomad trooper in Heroes with the Murgleis maybe in a remake that will be remedied. Who knows!

18 hours ago, CappnRob said:

I thought Sol Katti was cool myself esp with its unique animations but the fact NoA -added those in- really shows that Lyn was getting the short stick here. I saw someone mention Eliwood might've meant to have been a lance lord at first and I can see that: there's beta animations for Lyn with Durandel, and Eliwood in FE6 was a paladin with a high lance rating. Either way, Murgleis would've been cool, but the problem is if you don't level/promote Lyn she can't use it. Granted the odds of doing that are slim, but I guess they wanted Lyn to have a weapon she could technically use regardless if she was promoted or not? Even if realistically an unpromoted Lyn should not be fighting at all in the final chapter... ech!

However given she shows up as basically a nomad trooper in Heroes with the Murgleis maybe in a remake that will be remedied. Who knows!

Oh yeah, Lyn's promotion is sort of optional...eh. That one soldier gave me a Purge I couldn't use in Radiant Dawn because it was my first game and Micaiah sucked too much to use it because I was terrified of her dying. If they can get away with that then an unpromoted Lyn using Murgleis.

Or to give a parallel to Ike and Urvan, they could have made all the Holy Weapons just S Ranked weapons with only extra special animations for the main lords implied weapon. That would gel better with how they worked in the previous game too.

• 7 months later...

I like the idea of every unit having there own special unit weapon which would be harder to balance I guess (idk correct me if i'm wrong) but it'd be really cool. I wonder what florina's special weapon would be uwu