How to add custom Chapter Titles in FE7?

Zalor

I am 99% sure that you have to change Chapter Titles through editing the graphics, but I can't seem to find anywhere the offsets that I need to extract that information with the GBA Graphics Editor. And by anywhere, I mean the internet, since I don't really know how to debug for that information myself (believe me when I say I tried). The odd thing is, is that I have seen many FE7 hacks with edited Chapter titles, so I assumed it was common knowledge. Specifically right now I am curious how I can replace the first chapter title "Prologue: A Girl from the Plain"

Furthermore, where can I find an image of the font used in Fire Emblem chapter titles, since I want my custom chapter title to use the same font if I can. If anyone could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it!

For FE7, changing the chapter titles is as simple as going into Feditor and changing the name. Find the original chapter name, and then replace it. I think two instances of the names might appear; if so, one is for the ending and the other is for the chapter title. The one you want should say "Prologue: A Girl from the Plains" or something like that. May as well change both instances for the long run.

The titles are graphics in FE8, however.

33 minutes ago, Darrman said:

For FE7, changing the chapter titles is as simple as going into Feditor and changing the name. Find the original chapter name, and then replace it. I think two instances of the names might appear; if so, one is for the ending and the other is for the chapter title. The one you want should say "Prologue: A Girl from the Plains" or something like that. May as well change both instances for the long run.

The titles are graphics in FE8, however.

Really? That's a bit weird because when I changed it in Feditor, the game crashes the moment I start the chapter. That's what lead me to believe it was a graphics issue. The picture I attached is what happens when I alter the title. It's like, the moment the game has to render my new text it doesn't know what to do. 

Crash after changing title.png

Edited by Zalor

8 minutes ago, CT075 said:

that seems to be either FEditor being itself or user error (note that the latter often leads to the former)

What kind of user error? For example, I specifically modified the text in Feditor that is located at 0x058C, which is "Prologue: A Girl from the Plains[X]". I even did this on a clean rom and the game still crashed. And what exactly do you mean by "FEditor being itself", is FEditor often buggy? 

50 minutes ago, Zalor said:

What kind of user error? For example, I specifically modified the text in Feditor that is located at 0x058C, which is "Prologue: A Girl from the Plains[X]". I even did this on a clean rom and the game still crashed. And what exactly do you mean by "FEditor being itself", is FEditor often buggy? 

FEditor is often buggy, yes. Despite that, I don't think that's the problem here. What did you change the text to? And did you include the [X] at the end?

25 minutes ago, Tequila said:

FEditor is often buggy, yes. Despite that, I don't think that's the problem here. What did you change the text to? And did you include the [X] at the end?

Yeah, I included the "[X]". The title I want is "The Heist!". What I wrote was "The Heist![X]". Oddly enough, when I changed the text to "Custom Title" I had no problem. But I have no idea why "Custom Title" works but not "The Heist!". By the way, is there an alternative to Feditor these days? Last time I dabbled in hacking was two years ago, and while I downloaded up to date copies of the programs I used then, perhaps my methods are outdated? 

EDIT: Okay, I figured out the problem. The issue was with the exclamation point, once I got rid of it and left it as "The Heist" everything worked fine. Thanks everyone for helping me out, especially for pointing out that I didn't need to fiddle with the graphics to change chapter titles. I am curious why the exclamation point caused so many problems, but the issue has been resolved. 

Edited by Zalor

10 hours ago, Tequila said:

I'd assume there's no graphic for ! so it didn't know how to display that.

Regarding FEditor alternatives, take a gander at this.

Thanks for the link! Wow, that's a totally different method from what I am used to. But it doesn't seem too bad, it will require learning a new method of hacking though. I'm pretty comfortable with the Event assembler, but using it for everything will definitely take some getting used to.