The Future of Skill Systems

What skill system do you want in the next game?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What skill system do you want in the next game?

• Gaiden/Sacred Stones style, a balancing factor for certain classes
    • Holy War/Thracia set based on unit and class with limited learning of new skills
    • Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, skills scrolls found throughout the game, assignable and removable at will
    • Awakening/Fates, skills learned by leveling classes with heavy focus on reclassing
    • Heroes, SP system
    • Something new
    • We could do without skills for a game

I absolutely do not want the Awakening/Fates style. Either the Jugdral/Tellius versions of the system would be the best(Preferably Tellius), where at most you'll get one or two skills to use at any given time, and you can't just get basically infinites of each skill.

The Thracia style of getting skill books, but being able to learn every skill on one character would be fine. That style had enough limitations to make it work.

This basically limitless/no compromise version of Awakening/Fates is so bad for game balance.

Edited by Slumber

I dislike the Awakening skill style in general since it puts so much emphasis on grinding, which is diverting gameplay from the main draw of the series, however Fates' personal skills is a stroke of genius to differentiate units and allow more situational skills without being useless and add to their character.

I'd like something like the Thracia/Path of Radiance style system combined with the above Fates feature. If they keep infinite weapon uses, it would be more consistent to use something more like Radiant Dawn where you can redistribute at will.

My preference would be mostly the Tellius system with a bit of overlap with the Awakening System. Skills can be learned through scrolls, the number of skills is limited by a point system, and some units have skills by default, without needing to learn them. Unlike skills that have been learned through scrolls, these default skills can not be turned into scrolls and taught to other units.

The overlap comes from my idea for the reclass system: Every class has a certain class skill, which a unit possesses alongside their personal/learned skills. Changing classes also changes the class skill, so swapping from Thief to Myrmidon exchanges Locktouch for Duelist's Strike. Some class skills can also exist as personal/learned skills.

Class skills are not dependend on Level. A unit has it's class skill from level 1, and a second class skill is learned immediately upon promotion.

I admit that I would be interested in seeing a mix between Tellius system but with heroes' proc system: characters learns skills through scrolls but are limited by a Point system and in order to trigger they'll need to hit/be hitted another enemy.

Still, even without Heroes proc system, I would be fine with the Tellius one.

The Shadows of Valentia system looks pretty interesting. The "learn skills by using different equipment" system was something I loved about FF9, so I'm eager to try it in Fire Emblem.

I've got gripes with every skill system we've been given, but I'm not bitter enough to suggest removing skills entirely. It's like saying "Archers and Fog of War maps have always been terrible, so we should remove them from Fire Emblem". No, just try harder to make it work. 

I actually really like the SP system from Heroes before inheritance was added.  It made everyone feel very unique, as if they all had a job of their own to do, while still giving a sense of progression with the skills.