Pegasi or Wyverns

Which do you prefer?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Pegasi
    • Wyverns

Last time we did a Voting Gauntlet, I ran a topic to see what a more general favourite list of princess and princesses was. This time, it's pegasi and wyverns... but I've already done that before (see here https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/68612-class-favourite-11-pegasuswyvern-knights/). Instead, I'm going to ask a more genericised version:

Do you prefer the speedy pegasus knight or the tough wyvern knight?

(Your favourites of each are welcome, like last time).

Shouldn't this be in the Fire Emblem: Heroes section since this more or less pertains to the next Voting Gauntlet? I'm pretty sure more people would respond that way, too. Well, you probably had your reasons for posting this thread here, and I'm new relatively speaking, so maybe it isn't in my place to bring this up.

I'm gonna leave this here, because moving it means an auto-lock.  The Voting Gauntlet thread already exists.

EDIT: And if I see this topic in the ticket queue, along with a request to move/close, that's grounds for a warning (albeit a light one).  READ THE TOPIC FIRST.

Edited by eclipse

I love Pegasus Knights, and personally I find Wyverns to generally be kind of disappointing to use. The only exception for me personally is Camilla - all the other Wyverns I've used have turned out sorta lame. Miledy and Minerva are probably good too ofc. I never cared for promoting Pegs into Wyverns either as I find most people get attached to their mounts. 

I picked wyvern, but the choice wasn't easy.

On a game by game basis, starting with FE4, gameplay wise in practice (and not in theory), its been:

Spoiler

FE4: Pegs (b/c the one drag joins so late)

FE5: About equal, but Pegs (Dean vs. Karin)

FE6: Drags (Melady)

FE7: Pegs (Heath joins underpowered)

FE8: Pegs on Eirika, Drags on Eph

FE9: About equal, but Pegs (b/c Tanith > Haar)

FE10: Drags by a gazillion miles

FE13: Pegs (Cherche joins so late)

FE14: Drags (Javelin no doubling means Pegs can't ORKO mages)

Flying horses >>> wyverns/dragons no contest. I like dragons okay, but horses are my favorite animals, you know, and it's just even better when they get pretty wings and (sometimes) unicorn horns. <3

My favorite Pegasus units in the series are Elincia and Marcia. Shame they aren't popular characters at all, they're sorely underrated. Marcia is pretty and hilarious, Elincia is beautiful and so well-written, plus her healing abilities are useful. Amiti is an awesome sword too.

I like Hinoka, Cordelia, and Fiora too though.

Edited by Anacybele

I really really wish Wyverns weren't a staple of the bad guy's nation in every game they appear. Bern, Valm, Nations I don't remember from Archanea, Daein,  Nohr, and Grado. Similarly, Pegasi are always on the side of right. It's a literal black and white trend for these black and white creatures. We're desperately in need of a game that honestly looks at wyverns and gives us a story about earning their respect before they allow you to ride - a perfect idea for a story based lord promotion. I hate that such a powerful plot point is recurring but only exists in support conversations. Meanwhile Pegasi just look for the cutest little girl and say they're "pure of heart" like some lonely little boys on the internet. Give me a break, I'm going team dragon.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

My favorite Pegasus units in the series are Elincia and Marcia. Shame they aren't popular characters at all, they're sorely underrated. Marcia is pretty and hilarious,

Sigh, all I'd ever hear about is Marcia, especially years ago on this site. Marcia-only runs, I think the first youtube playthrough of PoR was a MarciaxIke run of the game, girl-only runs with Marcia (not even Mia, a blue haired swordie that joins sooner) as the main lord, LTCs and speed runs where Marcia is crucial to every map. The only underrated Tellius girls are the pre-promoted ones and even that's debatable with Tanith's summons

Edited by Gustavos

Wyverns, mostly because Trabant is probably one of my favourite characters in the series. A few of the pegs get a little samey, but I generally enjoy the charactersation of Wyvern Riders.

I like both of them, but I prefer me some adorable flying lizards. Their tough scales. Their vicious claws. Their cute, beady eyes. Wyverns are (one of) my favorite unit types in the FE series. Usually, this is in combination with the design of their riders' armor - I love the sharp, jagged motif some of the Wyvern Rider/Lord designs have. The Malig Knight line combined my two favorite weapons in one class, along with having a badass design - particularly the generic helmet (that I wish was an accessory in-game).

Plus, some of my favorite characters are Wyvern Riders: Haar, Jill, Heath, Cormag and Beruka.

Edited by saisymbolic

21 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Sigh, all I'd ever hear about is Marcia, especially years ago on this site. Marcia-only runs, I think the first youtube playthrough of PoR was a MarciaxIke run of the game, girl-only runs with Marcia (not even Mia, a blue haired swordie that joins sooner) as the main lord, LTCs and speed runs where Marcia is crucial to every map. The only underrated Tellius girls are the pre-promoted ones and even that's debatable with Tanith's summons

Not really, the only Tellius girls you hear a lot about now are freaking Mia and Nephenee (the former of which I honestly despise) and to a lesser extent, Titania. I don't hear anybody talk about Marcia, Elincia, or Jill, who I think are the best Tellius girls. I think all three are underrated.

How in the world are the 2nd and 3rd greatest units on the PoR tier list underrated? Plus Jill is the growth unit goddess of RD. And outside of gameplay, Marcia is a better Mia personality-wise and people love her "Crackers!" swearing. Jill, unlike Marcia or so many others, actually gets character development in PoR too!

Sure they're not being brought up a lot, but consider that a sign that it is silently accepted that they're dominant/well-loved.

4 hours ago, Gustavos said:

I really really wish Wyverns weren't a staple of the bad guy's nation in every game they appear. Bern, Valm, Nations I don't remember from Archanea, Daein,  Nohr, and Grado.

Wyverns were based in Macedon in Archanea... but so were pegasi, given that three of the pegasi you got in those games were under the command of Minerva. Likewise, Begnion in Radiant Dawn had both pegasus and wyvern armies.

That being said, I'm on team pegasus all the way - most wyverns fail to stand out to me (and the ones that do are more-or-less countable on one hand - Camilla, RD Haar, Miledy, Scarlet).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Wyverns, easily.

Aesthetically I tend to prefer hella armor and I personally dislike miniskirts in general but doubly their prevalence in female designs (Tellius pegs are good, though). Minerva's design is fucking baller. Get me more Minerva. Statwise I like the bulk. Also, axes. Axes are fucking baller. 

In general I also tend to like the characters who happen to be Wyverns over the characters who happen to be pegs. Not a hard and fast rule, but Minerva and Scarlet are some of my top favorite FE characters. Hell, my favorite antagonist (Travant) is a Wyvern.

tl;dr glory to Thracia

Edited by Thor Odinson

5 hours ago, Gustavos said:

I really really wish Wyverns weren't a staple of the bad guy's nation in every game they appear.

You got your wish in Heroes. All the wyvern riders are obtainable characters while the generic enemy fliers all use pegasi.

I like the wyverns. Not too much into horses, but I love those winged lizards. And yeah, we need more wyvern knights aligned with the hero's kingdom.

Pegasi, truth be told I don't like many wyvern riders, the only ones in the latter class I can think of that I like are Miledy (mainly for the Lugh support) and Jill.

Whereas there aren't any pegasi I can honestly say I completely dislike and far more that I quite like than in the wyvern group, all 6 of the playable Elibe pegs, Tana, and Cynthia come to mind.

There's units I like from both.  Est is my favorite Peg Knight, and Jill my favorite Wyvern Rider.  I usually train at least one if not several per game.  It would be hard to say which class I like more.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How in the world are the 2nd and 3rd greatest units on the PoR tier list underrated? Plus Jill is the growth unit goddess of RD. And outside of gameplay, Marcia is a better Mia personality-wise and people love her "Crackers!" swearing. Jill, unlike Marcia or so many others, actually gets character development in PoR too!

Sure they're not being brought up a lot, but consider that a sign that it is silently accepted that they're dominant/well-loved.

I'm not talking about gameplay?

Mia and Nephenee are consistently the most popular Tellius characters not named Ike or Micaiah as far as I've seen. And Elincia and Marcia both scored pretty low on that Heroes poll. Jill too.

Edited by Anacybele

People picking good characters in Heroes popularity polls is not from guaranteed. How many of them have as much as touched half the games they can vote for? It's on appearances only pretty much.

Don't mean to be elitist, there is nothing wrong with loving a simple character.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Word changes to oust unnecessary bitterness

Wyverns; Dragons > Flying Horses

As characters, I like so many Wyvern riders as opposed to Pegasi riders. To be honest, as characters, I like Caeda, Tana, and maybe Karin, and I'm incredibly null on most Pegasi riders, most of them are incredibly boring to me. I can name 10+ Wyvern riders I love, and I also just like the Wyvern classes better.

I don't really like either wyverns or pegasi as a class, so they're both neutral for me. If I only look at the characters, though, I'd say that pegasi may have a slight edge simply because they have Elincia and Marcia (and Tsubaki, I guess) while wyverns only have Heath. (I've only played FE6 once, and I haven't really formed an opinion on Miledy and Zeiss, and I barely remember FE11 so no opinion on Minerva. Cormag is merely all right.)

Also, funny enough, I don't really like either dragons or flying horses. I only seem to like dragons in Pokemon.

Edited by Sunwoo