FE8 Hacking vs FE7

maxamus333

Personally, I much preferred FE8 to FE7. When I started trying to learn to hack, I noticed most of the tutorials are for FE7; it also seems that FE7 is just much easier to hack than FE8. My question is this: what are the main differences between FE7 and FE8 hacking, and can I use the principles I'm learning for FE7 to hack FE8? Or are they just too different?

28 minutes ago, maxamus333 said:

Personally, I much preferred FE8 to FE7. When I started trying to learn to hack, I noticed most of the tutorials are for FE7; it also seems that FE7 is just much easier to hack than FE8. My question is this: what are the main differences between FE7 and FE8 hacking, and can I use the principles I'm learning for FE7 to hack FE8? Or are they just too different?

FE8 has everything in FE7, plus manaketes and a traversable world map (though this is optional), eventing memory slots (so you can actually pass data to events, something not possible in FE7), more current support--though not as well established and therefore tutorials are much rarer; all at the measely cost of the player being allowed to input a name.

The reason why FE7 tutorials are so popular is because it seemed originally to not be any different and there had been more time to look at it (but was natively in English, therefore a hot topic amongst speakers of it).

Yes, anything that you learn is almost all applicable to both things. The general concepts are the same.

19 minutes ago, General MacArthur said:

Iirc, the whole purpose of hacking FE8 is to enhance the difficulties, since its one of the most easiest FE game to beat.

... Where do I even begin with this.

This would be if you were restricting yourself to messing with the game's direct numbers, as opposed to letting yourself fudge with the engine in many regards including and not limited to actually writing your own story; as most hacks are wont to do.

Yes, difficulty increases are common, but they're not "the whole purpose".

Thanks for the quick replies. Do you know of any tutorials for FE8 hacking? I'm using Blazers ultimate guide (which is freaking amazing), but I'd need to have things like the event ID's for FE8, things that are unique that I'd have no way of being able to figure out myself.  Actually, just any FE8 tutorials at all would be super helpful.

17 minutes ago, Bedimal Eliwan said:

... Where do I even begin with this.

This would be if you were restricting yourself to messing with the game's direct numbers, as opposed to letting yourself fudge with the engine in many regards including and not limited to actually writing your own story; as most hacks are wont to do.

Yes, difficulty increases are common, but they're not "the whole purpose".

Well excuse my ignorance, I haven't been playing GBA FE in a while. o3o

10 minutes ago, maxamus333 said:

Thanks for the quick replies. Do you know of any tutorials for FE8 hacking? I'm using Blazers ultimate guide (which is freaking amazing), but I'd need to have things like the event ID's for FE8, things that are unique that I'd have no way of being able to figure out myself.  Actually, just any FE8 tutorials at all would be super helpful.

The short answer is that, as hacking FE8 is a relatively recent development, many of the tutorials just do not exist. When you speak of things like "event ID's for FE8", my gut instinct is to say "the event ID system works exactly the same in both games", but there are still special-cased IDs like 0x4 (in FE7) that do specific things that we just don't know about. If you want random information dumps, I'd point you to FEU, where we try to take as many notes as we can. Otherwise, you can try to find people's scattered documentation (like mine, although mine is mostly FE7-centric) and glean as much information as possible by reading a ton of those.

Of course, when you say "things that are unique that I'd have no way of being able to figure out myself"... well, this info doesn't sprout up from magic -- people put time and effort into figuring these things out by trial and error (which anybody can do).

8 minutes ago, CT075 said:

The short answer is that, as hacking FE8 is a relatively recent development, many of the tutorials just do not exist. When you speak of things like "event ID's for FE8", my gut instinct is to say "the event ID system works exactly the same in both games", but there are still special-cased IDs like 0x4 (in FE7) that do specific things that we just don't know about. If you want random information dumps, I'd point you to FEU, where we try to take as many notes as we can. Otherwise, you can try to find people's scattered documentation (like mine, although mine is mostly FE7-centric) and glean as much information as possible by reading a ton of those.

Of course, when you say "things that are unique that I'd have no way of being able to figure out myself"... well, this info doesn't sprout up from magic -- people put time and effort into figuring these things out by trial and error (which anybody can do).

Not even shilling my incomplete FE8 eventing resource smh Cam

Edited by InvdrZim13