Are you okay that [spoilers] is in the game?

Are you okay that Grima is in the game?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Are you okay that Grima is in the game?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am neutral
    • I don't know
    • I don't care at all

I don't really mind it, personally, as long as it's relegated to postgame content and stays out of the way of the original main story, which thankfully looks to be the case. I'm just glad Grima's finally being given some real backstory, and an explanation for the Risen—although rather unneeded, given how common zombies are as stock monsters—is nice, too.

I would say it's a bit of a leap to say that this is the whole reason why Gaiden is being remade, though, considering it's only 1/6th of the game. On top of that, Gaiden is the only one of the original Archanea-Valentia trilogy that had yet to be remade, as well as the game that introduced a number of mechanics that featured prominently in Awakening and Fates. It may also have been partly an answer to frequent fan wishes for it to be remade, although that's a little more of a stretch.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty intriguing that an insane alchemist essentially created what would later be revered and feared as a deity-like figure.

Also, Alm gets to kick Grima's ass before it was cool since Alm gets to defeat Grima 1000 years before the First Exalt did.

I should think Chapter 6 is also meant to alleviate Gaiden being such a short game, especially if it were running on 3DS hardware with animation and enemy phase skipping. Gaiden would easily be less than 20 hours playtime going off of howlongtobeat for Shadow Dragon, and considerably shorter than Awakening and Fates. These games have been getting longer, and they should be worried about criticisms of game length for this one. 

More chapters with the combined armies would also be nice.

36 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

I don't really see a reason to be upset, so I'm okay with it.

I mean, you're getting a brand-new chapter that creates continuity and world building for something that honestly needs it.

If people were to get upset about this, I'd be surprised, honestly.

I am super excited for this like how Ghast was  excited for Gaiden remake.... Well not that extreme, but I am happy that we got more Awakening backstory since Awakening my favorite Fire Emblem. So I am definitely buying day one. Also do you know the fire Emblem fan base. It get salty over anything.

Edited by mikethepokemaster

It has to be written well enough.

If it's serving as some sort of 'origin' story or something, it may be interesting. However

Spoiler

Doesn't Grima fight Marth and Co. like a year or two later according to the chronology? So I don't understand how we kill him, only for him to resurrected soon afterwards, unless that's the reason why New Mystery had to have the maidens be sacrificed.

44 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

It's pretty intriguing that an insane alchemist essentially created what would later be revered and feared as a deity-like figure.

Also, Alm gets to kick Grima's ass before it was cool since Alm gets to defeat Grima 1000 years before the First Exalt did.

Indeed, although Grima does have divine dragon blood. So it deserves the worship, somewhat.

Actually, it's equally fitting since Alm and the First Exalt share the same title of Exalted King.

Just now, Dandy Druid said:

If it's serving as some sort of 'origin' story or something, it may be interesting. However

Hide contents

Doesn't Grima fight Marth and Co. like a year or two later according to the chronology? So I don't understand how we kill him, only for him to resurrected soon afterwards, unless that's the reason why New Mystery had to have the maidens be sacrificed.

As far as we know, Awakening is 2000 years after Marth's time and the First Exalt existed 1000 years between the two eras.

It's still super vague though.

I don't mind as a whole, though I am intrigued about how it seems to be a project thousands of years in the making. Considering...

Spoiler

The time between the experiments started and the fall of Thabes, then the time until the events of Marth and Alm's games, then the time until the First Exalt. Good thing it wasn't a thesis or so otherwise imagine the delay marks drop, hahahahahaha. XD

2 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That was Medeus, not Grima. Grima will remain 1000 years still buried in Thabes or so, since he won't rise until the time of the First Exalt.

BTW, Henry's line from Awakening if you were to be in the Barracks late at night:

"Wow, Robin. Do you ever sleep? ...Wait, are you undead?"

The fact that Grima is a dracozombie with divine dragon blood... Oh, the implications of it.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I don't mind as a whole, though I am intrigued about how it seems to be a project thousands of years in the making. Considering...

Reveal hidden contents

The time between the experiments started and the fall of Thabes, then the time until the events of Marth and Alm's games, then the time until the First Exalt. Good thing it wasn't a thesis or so otherwise imagine the delay marks drop, hahahahahaha. XD

Hide contents

That was Medeus, not Grima. Grima will remain 1000 years still buried in Thabes or so, since he won't rise until the time of the First Exalt.

Thanks for the info. I tend to get these dragons mixed up.

26 minutes ago, mikethepokemaster said:

Also do you know the fire Emblem fan base. It get salty over anything.

I mean, yeah. Doesn't mean I have to understand it though. xD

Regardless, I think this addition will be quite the nice touch.

I don't care specifically that it's Grima, though that's definitely a nice touch. The plot itself is super interesting and quite elaborate, especially with the details. I feel the idea of this secret city with a secret experiment is really enticing. Even if it was just a generic dragon, I'd still be fine with it.

So yeah, I can dig it. Reminds me of something you'd see in Metroid honestly. Does anyone else feel that?

Edited by Veronica Sawyer

It is interesting certainly wouldn't have expected it but it does make the timeline flow at least somewhat connected even if the details are quite vague. What is fascinating about this is the artificial nature of Grima. Taking an undead dragon and granting it divine dragon blood... It really makes me curious what this ancient creator sought to accomplish as it screams bad idea from concept (was he somehow thinking it would bring the dragon back to life or something?)

And if it is like Vincent said that Alm basically stirred a "sleeping dragon" in a literal sense effectively creating the future tragedy that would be a fairly interesting and ironic connection. Though I do wonder how Grima came to associate with the Dragons table...

1 minute ago, Dragrath said:

And if it is like Vincent said that Alm basically stirred a "sleeping dragon" in a literal sense effectively creating the future tragedy that would be a fairly interesting and ironic connection. Though I do wonder how Grima came to associate with the Dragons table...

Makes it even more interesting since his descendant would be the one trying to right his wrongs 2000 years later.

I can also already see an awkward exchange between Alm and Lucina in FE Warriors.

I took a look at the skillist made by Vincent, thank you very much by the way.
But, my reaction over seeing 'Fell Dragon', "Oh Crap".

That stupid thing  from this stupid thing, is in the game. Great Daze. Just great. We really needed that.

Well, guess we'll have to wait for the executon... but I'm not impressed, like, children in Fates level of not impressed.
I don't want the SoV to be tarnished by Awakening, yes, tarnished.
The farthest Awakening is from pretty much every other Fire Emblem the better. And Fates too for that matter.

I sound salty, and I am. I don't want to look at the birth of an idiocy. No matter how badass it looks.
Times will probably proves me wrong. Who knows.

3 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

I took a look at the skillist made by Vincent, thank you very much by the way.
But, my reaction over seeing 'Fell Dragon', "Oh Crap".

That stupid thing  from this stupid thing, is in the game. Great Daze. Just great. We really needed that.

Well, guess we'll have to wait for the executon... but I'm not impressed, like, children in Fates level of not impressed.
The farthest Awakening is from pretty much every other Fire Emblem the better. And Fates too for that matter.

I sound salty, and I am. I don't want to look at the birth of an idiocy. No matter how badass it looks.
Times will probably proves me wrong. Who knows.

So what would you prefer chapter six to be about? Valentia is united at the end of Gaiden's chapter five, and Marth is rebuilding after he solved all the shit that went down in Akaneia. 

I'm not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I'm just curious if you had any ideas, since you sound so disappointed. I think this allows for worldbuilding and a sense of connection between the games in a way that doesn't affect either Marth, Alm or Celica's own "main" stories.

More giant evil dragons to beat up? Heck yeah!

Ok siriusly though, this is pretty cool. It explains Grima's backstory, which is neat since he's pretty much the only big evil final boss dragon without one (until now)

I really like this new addition. It gives an old antagonist some needed backstory while also connecting Gaiden and Awakening without being too much forced.

Also, I'm definitely interested in knowing more about Grima, who seems to be an artificial dragon created by humans(the first one of this type, I think).

Edited by The Malign Knight

24 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Okay, Awakening really wasn't that bad. Besides, if they push it as far away as possible, how will anything tie into it? Whether you like it or not, it does exist and it does deserve some more world building... it ESPECIALLY deserves some more world building lol.

2 hours ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I would have really loved a Medius tie in.

Imagine him gathering power, and Alm's crew was too late to stop him in the end - thusly, we have Mystery. He could have been wandering as a spirit, and absorbed Duma & Mila's power as they were sealed away to come back.

I'll calm down and wait to see how things play out, because there may be some cool maps included.  I love the Gaiden engine so I'd love to play more tbh - just not sure this was the reason I wanted to do it.

Spoiler

They have an arranged FE12 final map theme to use, so everything is possible!

I would be so cool if they made a reference to him.

As for the main topic my only reaction is: meh......

With IS tendency in recent years every bit of criticism is justifiable.

Edited by LightAura

On 4/3/2017 at 1:45 PM, Roflolxp54 said:

This is a big plus for me, honestly. I really love when "gods" in fictional settings turn out not to actually be of any sort of divine/supernatural origin or nature after all.

Edited by Topaz Light

29 minutes ago, Thane said:

So what would you prefer chapter six to be about? Valentia is united at the end of Gaiden's chapter five, and Marth is rebuilding after he solved all the shit that went down in Akaneia. 

I'm not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I'm just curious if you had any ideas, since you sound so disappointed. I think this allows for worldbuilding and a sense of connection between the games in a way that doesn't affect either Marth, Alm or Celica's own "main" stories.

I know how you are Thane, you're a nice guy.

You also know that I don't like Awakening very much and that I think it is a mess of a story with a worthless cast of characters of that sould never be mentioned ever again. Grima is from Awakening, and is just as much of an idiot as everyone else  (Fates add to that, but that's another matter).

But what I want ? Honeslty, I have no idea. I'm just at lost. I'm afraid it will be a big thing that mess everything more, I'm afraid it's a tiny thing that no one care about. Or the inverses. I dunno.
I just want SoV to be a remake and to not screw things up. If Grima is is brought up with zero BS whatsoever (read: no timetravel, multi worlds or other contrived bullcrap that are supposed to be taken seriousy and just get in the way), I'll probably be happy, but I'm very on the guard.

If I could take Grima seriously, to the point were I could almost... cut him from Awakening... I supposed I would be very happy. Because Grima can be good, unlike most of what Awakening offers... since Grima is pretty much a blank plot device/antagonist.

I got to say though, the idea of having Grima created by an alchemist is badass.

10 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Okay, Awakening really wasn't that bad. Besides, if they push it as far away as possible, how will anything tie into it? Whether you like it or not, it does exist and it does deserve some more world building... it ESPECIALLY deserves some more world building lol.

Thing is, they already tried (and failed horribly) to tie other Fire Emblems to it. Look how well it was done. By way of 'muh other worlds' and casual and poor handwaves.
That's the kind of things what I fear... and not much else actually.

Edited by B.Leu

9 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Agreed Awakening actually had some decently developed(or potential there of to be) plot points the execution was just less than ideal... By um quite a bit... With a bit more investment into connecting the various story parts it could have worked just the Valm arc wasn't properly integrated with the rest of the story

5 minutes ago, Topaz Light said:

This is a big plus for me, honestly. I really love when "gods" in fictional settings turn out not to actual be of any sort of divine/supernatural origin or nature after all.

I know it is one aspect that the new FE's as well as the far older ones have done by affectingly bringing the "gods" down to earth more or less

Grima's hatred for humans in particular can now be explained based on this origin as it would want to erase the blemish of its origin do to lofty pride and an identity crisis... really an improvement from no explanation :p