Need Advices for FE4

Vitiulia

Hi guys, recently I'm obsessed with Fe4, I just played it a little but I'm already in love with this game, I love all his mechanics. 

But there's a problem, I did the first chapter two times but the second time I had no problem. 

Then chapter 2 appears. I really really don' t know how to proceed. I think one of the main problems is that I have lost two units previously (I'm going to restart, sigh) but even restarting I know I will be stuck in that chapter again. 

I found it really hard, maybe it's normal for someone who isn't used to  but I want to become better, in order to play fe4. 

So can you give me some general advices? 

Thanks 

At the beginning yes, I didn't do the arena, maybe is one of my problems. 

But I don't think is only that. 

For example, I try to ask specifically, sometimes is better defend your castle and wait the enemies to come to you or just go into them? I think they are too much to be handled

There are a few times when defending your castle can be a good strategy, but usually you'll want to advance and save units and villages instead.

If there are too many enemies, check their ranges so you can bait them, hit and run, etc.

Edited by TheEnd

Where exactly are you stuck? Do you have trouble saving Raquesis, do Elliot's units focus on a particular character and kill him/her?

In general you don't want to wait around too much in this game due to brigands burning down villages, and in the first part of this chapter you really want to rush onward with your cavalry in order to get two special rings; maybe the next time give a few more levels to Alec/Lex/Noish, do NOT neglect Finn and make sure Lex has his Brave Axe (if the start of the chapter is the one giving you problems).

19 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Where exactly are you stuck? Do you have trouble saving Raquesis, do Elliot's units focus on a particular character and kill him/her?

In general you don't want to wait around too much in this game due to brigands burning down villages, and in the first part of this chapter you really want to rush onward with your cavalry in order to get two special rings; maybe the next time give a few more levels to Alec/Lex/Noish, do NOT neglect Finn and make sure Lex has his Brave Axe (if the start of the chapter is the one giving you problems).

Meh, I neglected Finn in my run. Currently on chapter 7 and regretting it. But yeah this map was tricky. I ended up letting the bandits take one of the villages. Without trying to spoil too much, although you might have already figured this out, make sure Lewyn gets over to you home castle before you seize the castle in the upper left.

General advice.

1 - Don't neglect the arena.  People don't die from it, and it's like your saving grace for money and extra exp. 

2 - Rush with cavalry.  If you ask yourself, "Should I just go over there with sigurd and rush in guns blazing?"  The answer is almost always YES.  

3 - Keep an eye out for conversations and talk events.  These can give you special items, give certain characters stat boosts, and importantly, Make Fin and Raquesis amazing.  

4 - Promote when you hit level 20.  Don't wait.

5 - You don't need to use everyone if you don't want to - there are plenty of opportunities for other playthroughs to use other units.  I do recommend however, for your first run through, Have Lewyn (a mage/bard you get later) marry anyone.  Doesn't matter who at this point.  Anyone.  Remember that while optimal pairings are great and make the game a cake walk (Like Lewyn X Tailate, Arden X Aideen, and Dew X Ayra) the real thing to keep in mind is put together the team you want and have fun with it.  

6 - Give Ethlin an Armor Slayer (Cutter in the old translation patch) and never take it off of her.  Trust me.

Chapter 2 is probably the worst chapter in the game. Do not forget to use the arena in Chapter 1, your units will greatly appreciate it. In addition, many of the best units come on horseback, and Sigurd is the best unit in the game. Don't be afraid to use him. Units such as Cuan, Ethlin, and Lex with a certain item are also excellent.

(Out of curiosity, which units died? You might be able to continue without them.)

1 hour ago, Lord Tullus said:

2 - Rush with cavalry.  If you ask yourself, "Should I just go over there with sigurd and rush in guns blazing?"  The answer is almost always YES.  

This is always the answer!

What part of chapter 2 are you stuck on? If it's the beginning (making Lachesis' knights survive), the beginning is all about rushing Sigurd and Cuan over there ASAP. After recruiting Lachesis, Sigurd can run behind the foot army and approach and take out the other castle (you'll want to do this ASAP because you'll want to make sure Levin/Sylvia can save that village in time), while your foot units can take out the army for experience. Everyone can catch up while you take out the mercenaries and the next castle's army. I remember the rest of the chapter being doable, but you can definitely preemptively send units back or use Warp/Return after you capture the 3rd castle (definitely sent Levin to the home castle, and consider having Arden guard it, for Fury and her fliers).

4 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

6 - Give Ethlin an Armor Slayer (Cutter in the old translation patch) and never take it off of her.  Trust me.

?

1 minute ago, Enaluxeme said:

?

Really?  You don't know?  WARNING. SPOILERS.

Spoiler

She can pass the Armor Slayer down to Leif in the second generation.  As long as the mage is killed with Fin and Nana/Janne, Leif can tear through the Armorknights with some simple avoid bonuses.  

The light sword is worse because Leif and Magic don't mix.  

I prefer to keep the brave sword on Ayra or Sigurd or give it to someone else who can make use of it in the rest of Gen 1, and pass it down to the kids in chapter 6, for early use.

Thanks to all you guys, btw in that run I lost Quan, Sigurd Sister (she lefted with Quan if I remember correctly) and Finn. 

Right now I did again chapter 1, lost only Finn and Damn guys reading all that "don't neglect Finn" is making me upset, should I restart again? This time I rushed all villages with Sigurd and that worked so much. I had a little problem at the beginning testing my luck but it went well. I lost Finn only near the last castle. Damn Finn DODGE. 

Ah, the arena at chapter 1 are you sure is available? I tried to the starting castle and no Arena, then the second castle and No Arena again, maybe only in the second chapter? 

Oh and I did some talking with Sigurd and other units, but for marry someone what exactly do I must do? Unlock some sorts of events? 

You don't even need to savestate, the game lets you save at the beginning of every turn (ie as long as you can still move all your units).

No arena in the prologue.

Also, don't expect a low level lance user to dodge against axes.

10 hours ago, Lady Sansa said:

what

...   Are you guys sure you understand Holy Blood and growth inheritance?  Because... With Lewyn/Levin's speed growth, and (if promoted) his average stats passed down will at least give a small res boost to any of his sons.  His growths will make for killer children.  Yes, the Special tome of Lewyn's is a game breaker and amazing help in the second generation, but it's not like it's needed.  It's hard, yes, but as long as you have other units, Julia, Selpih, and a few others the game throws at you, you don't need to have Lewyn marry Tiltyu, Sylvia, or Erin/Fury.