"I just want to know one thing!"- Shadows of Valentia Edition

Ok, kind of a silly question, but...

Spoiler

I was levelling up Tatiana and one of her quotes was "The Mother is with me". However, isn't she Rigelian...? Am I missing something? Is it a localization oversight?

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Pikappa93 said:

Ok, kind of a silly question, but...

Hide contents

I was levelling up Tatiana and one of her quotes was "The Mother is with me". However, isn't she Rigelian...? Am I missing something? Is it a localization oversight?

It could be an oversight (isn't this also one of Silque's lines?), but she and her priory aren't mentioned as necessarily worshiping Duma who probably isn't known to be giving blessings all that often. And, I mean, there are Mila shrines all over Rigel so it's not out the question really.

8 minutes ago, JDtheBA said:

The only turn wheel key I need is from the girl who likes cute things. No matter what item I give her, I never get the cog. Is it specific or does my luck suck?

Save before giving her a item and soft-reset if she gives you a dud.

If you don't want to soft-reset after each item, you can soft-reset after every 3 or so, etc.

As far as I know, it is literally completely random, no matter what item you give her. Even if you give her a "rare" item. Best you spam Sweet Cookies or something.

Blitzkrieg achievement related question: are all quests avaible for the entire game?
If I am trying for a "perfect" save can i just focus on getting Blitzkrieg first and then focus on completing everything else during act 6 or do I need a checklist of quests that are going to expire?

Does anyone know how the RNG works when using Mila's Turnwheel? It feels like it sometimes changes the RNG, and sometimes doesn't. Like, I had one case where, during an enemy ambush, the first enemy Bow Knight to move doubled and killed Python on 56% hit rates. I then used all 6 of my Turnwheel cogs resetting this to see if it changed the outcome, and every time was the same. Another time, an enemy Bow Knight landed a 4% crit on Python mid enemy phase (yes, there's something going on between my Python and generic Bow Knights, I know). I reset to it, got a 4% crit again, but on the second attack instead. Reset again, second attack again, reset a fourth time, and this time it didn't crit. I've also experimented a little with changing level ups but always seem to get the same result.

So, I know that this could just be freakishly bad luck each time, but it feels like sometimes the RNG gets "stuck" on using the same values, and sometimes it refreshes them. And so that brings me back to my original question: Do we know how it works? Did I actually just get terrible luck, or does it only sometimes change the RNG?

1 hour ago, Dark Kain said:

Blitzkrieg achievement related question: are all quests avaible for the entire game?
If I am trying for a "perfect" save can i just focus on getting Blitzkrieg first and then focus on completing everything else during act 6 or do I need a checklist of quests that are going to expire?

Hmm, how is that related to Blitzrieg by the way?

Anyway, AFAIK only the Alessio quests expire. First one needs to be done before Act 4 starts and third one needs to be done before entering the Last Bastion. Second one doesn't really have a timer, but you need to beat the first quest to unlock it.

29 minutes ago, Tables said:

Does anyone know how the RNG works when using Mila's Turnwheel? It feels like it sometimes changes the RNG, and sometimes doesn't. Like, I had one case where, during an enemy ambush, the first enemy Bow Knight to move doubled and killed Python on 56% hit rates. I then used all 6 of my Turnwheel cogs resetting this to see if it changed the outcome, and every time was the same. Another time, an enemy Bow Knight landed a 4% crit on Python mid enemy phase (yes, there's something going on between my Python and generic Bow Knights, I know). I reset to it, got a 4% crit again, but on the second attack instead. Reset again, second attack again, reset a fourth time, and this time it didn't crit. I've also experimented a little with changing level ups but always seem to get the same result.

So, I know that this could just be freakishly bad luck each time, but it feels like sometimes the RNG gets "stuck" on using the same values, and sometimes it refreshes them. And so that brings me back to my original question: Do we know how it works? Did I actually just get terrible luck, or does it only sometimes change the RNG?

My best guess is that it works kinda like the GBA RNG. GBA games pre-roll RNG values when a chapter is loaded, but it doesn't save the exact values, only the general range (high and low). If there's a situation where you get crit every time you repeat the same actions, you can eventually get the crit to fail through infinite resetting. I might be remembering certain things wrong, but that's how it works to my understanding.

Anyway, I think that's kinda what Mila's Turnwheel does. Newer FEs don't do pre-rolls anymore, but Turnwheel activation will save the general range of the RNG you got.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

My best guess is that it works kinda like the GBA RNG. GBA games pre-roll RNG values when a chapter is loaded, but it doesn't save the exact values, only the general range (high and low).

No, that's wrong I'm afraid. The GBA RNG is entirely deterministic and entirely the same every single time you load - if you load from the start of a chapter, it resets to the start point of the RNG sequence, while if you load a suspend point it starts from the exact RN point you were at before.

You might be getting confused with methods for RNG manipulation and checking, the easiest method of which only tells you the general range. However with memory checking devices you can easily see all of the upcoming RNs, and indeed using the formula for calculating them, look arbitrarily far ahead into the sequence of RNs.

Still, that's kinda separate to the answer you were giving. But now you know one more thing about the GBA FE's RNG :).

9 minutes ago, Tables said:

No, that's wrong I'm afraid. The GBA RNG is entirely deterministic and entirely the same every single time you load - if you load from the start of a chapter, it resets to the start point of the RNG sequence, while if you load a suspend point it starts from the exact RN point you were at before.

You might be getting confused with methods for RNG manipulation and checking, the easiest method of which only tells you the general range. However with memory checking devices you can easily see all of the upcoming RNs, and indeed using the formula for calculating them, look arbitrarily far ahead into the sequence of RNs.

Still, that's kinda separate to the answer you were giving. But now you know one more thing about the GBA FE's RNG :).

Huh, alright. Thanks. I got nothing then.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

12 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Hmm, how is that related to Blitzrieg by the way?

Completing all the quests requires to backtrack A LOT, spawning enemies on map that you will have to fight, and that skirmishes should add to the turn count (unless I'm mistaken). It also requires fighting for some item drops. 

If only the Alessio's quests expire then a perfect save of achievements + quests is definitely possible, by delaying the vast majority of quest hunting to the post-game.

Edited by Dark Kain

On 5/29/2017 at 4:34 PM, VincentASM said:

Duma Moss can be found next to the Mila Idol in most Rigelian dungeons.

You get exactly 4 Dragon Scales in-game and potentially more from the Astral Temple/Inner Sanctum.

1. Mila's Chamber in the Temple of Mila
2. Dropped by Dolth
3. Randomly from "It's Oil Right" sub-quest at the Sluice Gate.
4. Dropped by the boss of Archanea Seaway 4

Thanks for the info, is it possible to get more Duma Mosses across from dungeons, or there are limited amount of them.  Because the quest that rewards the Ambrosia repeatedly seems to be a good item to get.

12 hours ago, Dark Paladin X said:

Thanks for the info, is it possible to get more Duma Mosses across from dungeons, or there are limited amount of them.  Because the quest that rewards the Ambrosia repeatedly seems to be a good item to get.

You can get more, but the rate is very low.

Thabes Labyrinth B9 Pot 0.26%
Thabes Labyrinth B9 Box 0.63%
Thabes Labyrinth B10 Box 0.06%

13 hours ago, Pikappa93 said:

Easiest way to get Astra, Luna and Sol?

Inner Sanctum or the pots in Thabes Labyrinth B9 and the boxes in B10.

Guardians have a fairly decent rate of dropping Luna.

11 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

I just turned Sonya into an Enchantress and she learned Death and Mire, but lost Rewarp and Entrap, can I get them back by leveling her up, or are they gone forever?

Okay, I just turned Faye into an Exemplar and she lost Anew, but I also managed to get Sonya to Level 5 Enchantress and she relearned Rewarp

7 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Okay, I just turned Faye into an Exemplar and she lost Anew, but I also managed to get Sonya to Level 5 Enchantress and she relearned Rewarp

This is merely guessing on my part, but it sounds like they are basically relearning their Priestess and Saint skills all over again.  If I'm right, Sonya should get her Entrap at level 10, and Faye will get her Anew at level 14.

You going to have to check yourself, unfortunately.

So does the Memento Ring have any purpose beyond small stat boosts? I feel like the game is tempting me to be an asshole by offering 3 gold to sell it.

59 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So does the Memento Ring have any purpose beyond small stat boosts? I feel like the game is tempting me to be an asshole by offering 3 gold to sell it.

Not at the current time. It is a one off item though so be careful.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

What does Reconstruct do? Judging from the description I'm guessing it's similar in someway to Blossom or Afa's Drops from previous games.

As far as I understand, it takes the six (not counting Res) growths of a character, and does a shuffle between two random ones eight times. So first it may switch HP and Attack, and then Defense and Luck, and then Luck and Attack, etc. The player does not know how the growths are shuffled. After that character levels up, it reshuffles growths. Unequipping the ring reverts growth changes, and it may reshuffle into a new pattern when reequipped.

It's pretty much an item for shits and giggles.

21 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Continuing from this:

Guru Boey loses Excalibur, gets it back at level 7

Exemplar Tatiana loses Fortify, Invoke and Warp, gets them back at level 4, level 7 and level 8

Enchantress Delthea loses Ragnarok and Rewarp, gets Ragnarok back at level 3

Currently leveling Sonya and Delthea to see when they get Rewarp back (guessing level 10) then I'll try to get the rest of my magic users to Overclass and see how it affects them