"I just want to know one thing!"- Shadows of Valentia Edition

1 minute ago, Azz said:

Question about the Fire Emblem achievement. It says you have to beat the game on Hard/Classic with no deaths. However, if a unit dies and I say reset, use a resurrect shrine or use the turnwheel, does it still count as the unit dying or can I still salvage the achievement?

I haven't had time to check, but I assume it counts units who are dead at the time of completion.

Anyway, I don't think the achievement is that strict, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I managed to clear it without recruiting a couple of characters, so undoing a few deaths shouldn't be considered a stretch.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I haven't had time to check, but I assume it counts units who are dead at the time of completion.

Anyway, I don't think the achievement is that strict, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I managed to clear it without recruiting a couple of characters, so undoing a few deaths shouldn't be considered a stretch.

Thanks :3 Just making sure since I'm currently going for that achievement and I've had a few units die so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwed over before I continue on.

5 hours ago, Azz said:

Thanks :3 Just making sure since I'm currently going for that achievement and I've had a few units die so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwed over before I continue on.

I kind of suspect that it still counts it if you use a Resurrection shrine. It absolutely doesn't if you undo it with the tunrwheel, but using the shrine specifically means someone DID die in battle and it saved that.

How are critical hits calculated? I've been getting them out the ears, and I'm fairly sure this wasn't as common in the GBA titles...

Literally speaking, my first battle with Palla and Catria, every round of combat ended with them critting. I've got listed odds in the single digits and whenever I send someone to weaken an enemy, I'm worried they'll crit and soak up the experience.

4 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

How are critical hits calculated? I've been getting them out the ears, and I'm fairly sure this wasn't as common in the GBA titles...

Literally speaking, my first battle with Palla and Catria, every round of combat ended with them critting. I've got listed odds in the single digits and whenever I send someone to weaken an enemy, I'm worried they'll crit and soak up the experience.

In this game, critical is (skill+luck)/2, so it's a little more common. If Catria still has the Angel Ring, note that would give her +10% crit.

3 minutes ago, David Boey said:

In this game, critical is (skill+luck)/2, so it's a little more common. If Catria still has the Angel Ring, note that would give her +10% crit.

Ah, at least it's not just my imagination.

I've honestly not been doing much in the way of optimisation for this first run.

Since I don't have a save nearby, does anyone know the exact timing Jedah leaves during the Swamp of Duma?

I am looking for the turn number and phase. Eg. turn 8 of the player phase.

I'm trying to reverse engineer some events, but I can't figure out the turn-based ones. So I thought I'd look into an "easy" one.

7 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Since I don't have a save nearby, does anyone know the exact timing Jedah leaves during the Swamp of Duma?

I'm trying to reverse engineer some events, but I can't figure out the turn-based ones. So I thought I'd look into an "easy" one.

Turn 6 of enemy phase is when the chapter ends. And I believe he starting moving on turn 4 enemy phase. This is on Hard/Classic, if that affects it.

8 hours ago, VincentASM said:

I recall reading somewhere that Jedah leaves during the 6th turn at the start of the enemy phase, and I believe that is the case because I failed to defeat him myself then. :/

I'm way past that now so I can't test it myself, but I'm 90% positive about this.

EDIT: Saizo'ed

Edited by Fastesthe1

Thanks! I ended up figuring out my problem via trial and error, but the info for Jedah will be very helpful.

I think I see a pair of suspicious 06s in the Swamps of Duma file.

Just now, phineas81707 said:

If I promote Luthier early, does he get Recover on promotion? I'm thinking a second healer would be nice, and Luthier hasn't been doing too well in battle...

Yep, he does. Go ahead and promote him if you want, having an extra healer will really help. If you want to have him kill things, your best bet is to toss him the Speed Ring and hope for Excalibur criticals.

You know how there is an in-engine cutscene at the beginning of Part 3 where Clive faces of against Fernand? Does anyone know what happens in that scene if you reclass Clive to a class that doesn't have a horse?

On a vaguely related note, if you reclass Alm or Celica using hacks, do they still function properly in dungeons?

On 7.7.2017 at 8:59 AM, phineas81707 said:

Does White Magic get boosted by the Mage Ring?

It does not. The Mage Ring only boosts the range of Black Magic.

Edited by BrightBow

A few Support questions:

Does the Support Log fill up globally, or on a per-file basis?
What is a good way to grind up support ranks for characters with which one or neither of them has had good training?
Is there an indication of whether all Supports have been viewed, or will I have to track that manually? (I'm fairly sure I'll have to do quite a bit of manual tracking thanks to Deen, anyway, but it'll be nice to know.)

12 hours ago, BrightBow said:

You know how there is an in-engine cutscene at the beginning of Part 3 where Clive faces of against Fernand? Does anyone know what happens in that scene if you reclass Clive to a class that doesn't have a horse?

On a vaguely related note, if you reclass Alm or Celica using hacks, do they still function properly in dungeons?

Ahahaha, I will have to try that first one.

However, I suspect it will simply load a generic horseback Clive; I know there's an "event Clive" in the database.

They work to some degree, but they don't have a proper running animation and they cannot swing their sword.

6 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

A few Support questions:

Does the Support Log fill up globally, or on a per-file basis?
What is a good way to grind up support ranks for characters with which one or neither of them has had good training?
Is there an indication of whether all Supports have been viewed, or will I have to track that manually? (I'm fairly sure I'll have to do quite a bit of manual tracking thanks to Deen, anyway, but it'll be nice to know.)

This is all from memory, but supports are saved per file and there's no completion indicator.

Weird question, for it has to do with how the game is programmed.  I'm curious: is Celica's Priestess considered in the game files to be in the same class as what the female Mages can promote into, or is it its own class similar to Alm and his Fighter?  I'm personally leaning towards the latter since the animations seem to differ slightly, but I would like some confirmation.

What is the most effective way to grind before attempting to go through the Thabes Labyrinth ? I failed to go through the fifth floor (I did pretty well, I even defeated the Dragon and most units on the battlefield, but I exposed my Celica too much towards the end and she got killed by a weak enemy unit) and I'd really like to go through it entirely. I read a few tips on how to make it out in one piece (namely using Killer Bows, which I did not do) and I'd like to get my party around level 15 at the very least. They are all in the 8-10 levels of their final classes (with promotion as soon as available in the past), except Alm, who's already 15.

I'd level up in the first two floors of the labyrinth so I could farm for silver marks at the same time in order to upgrade my killer bows, but experience is very very hard to get in decent quantities in these parts...

Edited by ExaltedViolinist

20 hours ago, Fastesthe1 said:

Weird question, for it has to do with how the game is programmed.  I'm curious: is Celica's Priestess considered in the game files to be in the same class as what the female Mages can promote into, or is it its own class similar to Alm and his Fighter?  I'm personally leaning towards the latter since the animations seem to differ slightly, but I would like some confirmation.

I can't say for sure, but based on the experience gains being pretty fast for Priestess Celica, I don't think so? I mean, after the first graveyard battle, Celica and her 3 allies gain around the same amount of bonus experience. If the game considered Priestess Celica to be the same as, say, Priestess Delthea or Priestess Mae (the latter 2 being promoted and getting less experience than an unpromoted unit), the experience gains would be lower for all 3 of those Priestesses compared to a stage 1 class like Mage or Cleric. But Priestess Celica gains experience much faster than those 2 other Priestesses that I mentioned, at least from what I've seen and experienced.

I've always kind of wondered the same thing myself, and if Celica should be considered a prepromote due to Priestesses being promoted Female Mages in Echoes. But I'm personally leaning towards no based on the experience gain reasons I mentioned in the first paragraph. That, and Priestess Celica not starting with Recover (while all other Priestesses do) makes me think that the game categorizes Priestess Celica as different from the other Priestess class that other females have access to.

On 7/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, Fastesthe1 said:

Yes, it's a different class.

BTW, male and female variants of the same class are also treated as different classes. Likewise, the Revenants, Entombed and Tomb Lords with status effects are all different classes too (i.e. normal Revenant, poison Revenant and stun Revenant).

10 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Yes, it's a different class.

BTW, male and female variants of the same class are also treated as different classes. Likewise, the Revenants, Entombed and Tomb Lords with status effects are all different classes too (i.e. normal Revenant, poison Revenant and stun Revenant).

Nice!  Thanks for the response!  :D

I really love learning how video games are put together, which made me wish I had the ability to hack them...

Hey, I was wondering, yesterday when I was grinding on the final boss at Thabes Labyrinth and passing by turns to farm Astra, Sol, and Luna, I've got a message around turn 170ish saying the Turnwheel was making strange noises, and around 200ish turn I got another message saying the Turnwheel stopped working and I'm unable to use the Turnwheel.  Is this supposed intentional and is this effect where the Turnwheel stops working permanent, or when ends when you finish a battle 

Also, do you think it's a good idea to spend 1k+ turns in the Final Battle just to Farm Astra, Sol, and Luna, or just stay around for about 100-200 turns then come back from the beginning?

2 hours ago, Dark Paladin X said:

Hey, I was wondering, yesterday when I was grinding on the final boss at Thabes Labyrinth and passing by turns to farm Astra, Sol, and Luna, I've got a message around turn 170ish saying the Turnwheel was making strange noises, and around 200ish turn I got another message saying the Turnwheel stopped working and I'm unable to use the Turnwheel.  Is this supposed intentional and is this effect where the Turnwheel stops working permanent, or when ends when you finish a battle 

Also, do you think it's a good idea to spend 1k+ turns in the Final Battle just to Farm Astra, Sol, and Luna, or just stay around for about 100-200 turns then come back from the beginning?

IT's intentional, yes, it's why the turnwheel gives those messages.The issue is the turnwheel can only record so many turns in a battle so once the battle is done, it should fine to use again assuming you still have any cogs left.

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is Conrad basically Tuxedo Mask in this game?

Pretty much, outside of the 'one true love for Celica' thing.

I didn't pay as much attention to stats as I probably should have, but does he have the 'slowly got outclassed' thing?