So, by now, many of you know about the leaked information of the Upcoming title, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.  Or should I say, the entire game was leaked.  For Data miners and those who run this site, that's basically gold and worthwhile information.  But for the franchise, the sales of this upcoming title, and the possibility of more "Echoes" style remakes, I believe this is a disaster.  The entire game was Leaked, and people can play the entire JP version of the game before even one copy is sold.  This act of leaking the entire game will definitely impact the market of this game in some way.  A BAD way.  

Let me put the financial situation like this: The law of demand states that when the price of something decreases, demand will increase.  When the price increases, demand will decrease.  But this law is thrown out the window when the black/grey market comes into play.  I mean, ROMs, leaks, that sort of stuff.  When that is put out for the world to see before there is even a chance for the demand to rise or fall in accordance with the price, (not counting pre-orders) demand suffers.  People will no longer pay money to get what they want.  People who cannot afford the game or who simply don't want to wait or pay, can screw over any regard for the people who want to pay for it, and get it free.  This effects more than the sales.  This effects the equality of the experience.  This answers questions that would usually be left to the player to answer with his/her playthrough of a game - but with no real incentive to buy it or find out through a purchased copy, this means that there is no mystery or wonder to the game's presentation.  There is little joy in playing a game where you know everything about it.  Why do people avoid spoilers?  This also effects future remakes, like FE 4 or 6 remake that I know you and I are wanting.  Based on what, you ask?  The sales.

Believe it or not, lots of things depend on people buying the game, and it's a damn shame that some Japanese idiot leaked the entire game before it could be sold.  Before any transactions could be completed.  You think that those pre-orders have costs put in just when you order them?  Nope. The company doesn't even get the money until the game is shipped/brought to you.  Then it's a sale.   This leak, and those who download/endorse this behavior for future releases of other games (not just FE) is a giant Middle finger to the developers who worked on this game, as well as the people who saved up money and put in effort to buy this game.  To finally get it on release day.  It's unfair, unjust, illegal, and worst of all, hypocritical for those who download it.  Do you support this franchise or not!? I'm saying all this because I feel like I'm the only person concerned.  

Mangs made a good portion of one of his videos addressing this:

Spoiler

All in all, that was the nicest way I could put all my thoughts together without spouting anger and slurs into the faces of anyone who reads this.  I'm REALLY ANGRY, and definitely still buying this game.  I get that some people can't afford it.  That's where the grey market is.  But for those who download it for the game because you JUST CAN'T WAIT, can you be anymore disrespectful? 

The way that hypocrisy works is like this: you say you hate the way something is or how something is done, and you turn around and do or aid in what you said you hate.  But does hypocracy work that way in something you love?

Edited by Lord Tullus

The Fire Emblem hacking community is rather small, so don't expect many people to actually be playing the leaked game. That and most people who do play it before it is released actually buy the full game when it comes out. (Even if they don't, those who'll be playing the leaked version will be in a very small minority)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Fire Emblem has a good fan-base when it comes to actually buying the content.

there's also the fact that hacking a 3ds to the point that you can play newly released games on it is ridiculously tedious

i was able to do it when I had a 3ds and while people will definitely do it, the people who do this who will hurt the actual sales of the game would have to

like fire emblem

be willing to hack their 3DSes

be able to get a download for the game (this might not be that difficult though)

and be able and willing to go through the process to play pirated 3ds games (this might not even be possible if you've updated your 3ds recently unless you own certain games)

i'm not saying that this won't hurt the games' sales because it almost definitely will at least a little, but I really doubt it'll make a big impact

It is unfortunate that the game leaked so far ahead of time, but I'm hesitant to say it's going to make much of a difference. I feel like most of the people who were going to buy the game are probably still going to do so, and most of the people who are planning to pirate the game without buying it probably always were going to and the early leak wouldn't change much.

Enabling piracy on a 3DS is not particularly difficult, but it's extraordinarily tedious and it's not something I see most casuals going out of their way to do.

Edited by Iridium

20 minutes ago, Iridium said:

It is unfortunate that the game leaked so far ahead of time, but I'm hesitant to say it's going to make much of a difference. I feel like most of the people who were going to buy the game are probably still going to do so, and most of the people who are planning to pirate the game without buying it probably always were going to and the early leak wouldn't change much.

Enabling piracy on a 3DS is not particularly difficult, but it's extraordinarily tedious and it's not something I see most casuals going out of their way to do.

Actually, I did heard that Nintendo did caught that Pirated Hacker that did showed off the Leaked Gameplay of Pokemon Sun and Moon back then before the actual game released and he did lose his access to Wi-Fi and lose his digital copy, I think I might have remembered that Pokemon Sun and Moon is still shows it still the best selling category during in the first week. But, I just wondered how Echoes: Shadows of Valentia will still be good?

Edited by King Marth 64

Honestly, I doubt this will do anything to the game. Pokemon sun and moon were also leaked inside out and a ton of people played the rom version of the game, but those games still sold very well, though I guess an argument can be made that Fire emblem is nowhere near as popular as pokemon.

If anything, I think this will be a message to Nintendo to have significantly tighter security. Having some of their biggest games distributed illegally to the public before release does decreases the enjoyment when actually playing the game, as you know entirely what to expect. And some sales that could have been made are lost.

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

Yeah, I was surprised too when I saw that the ENTIRE game was leaked, well I hope this will help selling the game because who try it  maybe then want to buy it. It happened to me with Fates, I "tried" it then decided to buy it. 

Honestly, I want that game leaked so bad too, because I don't know if I will buy that game, and trying it would be awesome. 

Don't worry,  it will sells okay. 

Remember the Wii situation?  So, don't worry 

6 minutes ago, Vitiulia said:

Yeah, I was surprised too when I saw that the ENTIRE game was leaked, well I hope this will help selling the game because who try it  maybe then want to buy it. It happened to me with Fates, I "tried" it then decided to buy it. 

Honestly, I want that game leaked so bad too, because I don't know if I will buy that game, and trying it would be awesome.

But yeah, I concur on this idea. One of the problems in this day and age is that nobody makes freaking demos anymore. And narrative-heavy games benefit the least from demos anyway... I for one would not have bought a copy of Pokemon Sun/Moon if it weren't for the leaked version, as I had no hope for the game, but playing through it proved me wrong, proved to me that it was worth actually supporting. Echoes may end up being no different, especially for someone like me, who is without a shadow of a doubt going to do this same process for Echoes NA before deciding to buy it, being incredibly jaded after the disaster that was Fates. I'm not getting my hopes up for this one though...

Edited by Ritisa

I don't expect this leak to do a substantial amount of damage for the aforementioned reasons. I've never been fond of leaks; they just spoil all the surprises, and no one likes when the feeling of being genuinely surprised by new info or a plot twist is utterly ruined to a leak or when your yackity friend won't shut up about said plot twist.

1 hour ago, Lord Tullus said:

But for those who download it for the game because you JUST CAN'T WAIT, can you be anymore disrespectful?

This part is what really irks me about leaks like this, especially in this case. Previous FE games? Yeah I could understand not wanting to wait half a year or longer for the localization. But with Echoes it's a mere 1-month wait. Yet still there are those that download the leak because they can't wait one. Freaking. Month. That is how impatient they are. It is indeed very disrespectful. I can't help but scoff at them.

Out of curiosity, since I know there have been vids of Echoes' soundtrack, has a vid for World Map (Ch.1) been uploaded yet? That is literally the only thing I want to view from this leak. The track has already been previewed in the amiibo segment of the Japanese overview trailer, and it sounds really good.

...I'm not contradicting myself, right? If I am, then I won't look for it. I mean, I can wait two weeks when it's all legitimate.

EDIT: Thanks, unique. :D

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

3 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Out of curiosity, since I know there have been vids of Echoes' soundtrack, has a vid for World Map (Ch.1) been uploaded yet? That is literally the only thing I want to view from this leak. The track has already been previewed in the amiibo segment of the Japanese overview trailer, and it sounds really good.

...I'm not contradicting myself, right? If I am, then I won't look for it. I mean, I can wait two weeks when it's all legitimate.

Spoiler

have fun

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Actually, I did heard that Nintendo did caught that Pirated Hacker that did showed off the Leaked Gameplay of Pokemon Sun and Moon back then before the actual game released and he did lose his access to Wi-Fi and lose his digital copy

I think you might be confusing some details. Pretty sure that only happened to people that had illegal copies and got on the internet. The leaker and people that avoided the internet (ironically probably most people that knew how to hack and datamine and are involved in stuff like leaking games) were perfectly fine and got off scot free.

Few people even know it's leaked, even fewer are actually playing it, and even fewer of those are going to cancel any pre-orders.

So no, it's nothing really. Unfortunate that it got leaked over two weeks in advance, but nothing that will noticeably alter sales.

It's unfortunate, although useful for data-miners like you said, but in all likelihood only a small minority will be affected. Most likely these people wouldn't have bought the game anyway.

Also, it's unfair to say a "Japanese idiot" is at fault. I do think the person who leaked the game wasn't very smart, but they didn't have to be Japanese to do it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese fans are even more angry about the situation.

Edited by VincentASM

Pretty fed up with all this holier-than-thou crap. If you're so worried about the sales of the game, go ahead and buy multiple copies of it, instead of telling people you've never seen or met what they should or should not do with their money and time. 

The sole reason why all the information you need is available when the game is officially out is that the same players you're denigrating are committed to the process of gathering resources for the game. 

Looks like I'm going to need to post this exact message for the 3rd time. 

1. The portion of the 3DS hacking community is extremely small, so an extremely small portion of the entire community will be playing the leaked copy.

2. The hacking community and the FE community are not exclusive, so most definitely will likely buy the game on release anyway.

3. There's no Japanese 3DS hacking community, so its literally not going to happen that this leak will hurt JP sales of SoV.

4. 3DS hackers who are playing JP SoV still can't enjoy the story, which was a huge draw to this remaster. And all those I've spoken to are in fact more intrigued by the game now.

5. On Emulation: Citra barely runs Fates, let alone runs it efficiently without a god-tier PC. The most FPS you can get from SoV is reportedly like 10-20 frames ALONGSIDE a ton of graphical bugs. It's also in Japanese. You can't emulate 3ds games like VBA. You can't. Citra is not there yet and won't be for years. Unless you're a masochist who wants to play a foreign language game with absolute garbage FPS, emulation is highly likely not to be enjoyable at all.

6. Fire Emblem Fates literally had a fanslation that had a menu patch, supports and all 3 main campaigns translated before the English release. It received negative PR, lukewarm reviews and was given a lot of flack. yet the game still sold amazingly in North America. Nobody is going to bother making a fanslation of a game like this scheduled to release in a month.

This leak won't affect sales at all and will keep building hype.

38 minutes ago, ghast said:

his leak won't affect sales at all and will keep building hype.

Your points are valid, and to everyone else who replied, I understand that the sales will only be affected in minor ways.  But it will be effected regardless, in some way. Whether it be people who actually somehow play it (which I understand is very unlikely and few in number) or people who see their concerns and questions answered, or spoil themselves of anything but the story may cause certain people to decide not to buy the game.  

The leak may not be that big of an issue, but considering that more leaks lead to even more leaks of separate games and franchises in the future, I don't think that the leak itself is a good thing at all.  

I was harsh in calling the leaker a "Japanese idiot", but at the time  of posting the topic, I was quite unhappy.   That doesn't justify my own actions, but I stand by what I said about this being bad overall.  Not a major calamity, but even a little worrying, in my eyes.  

I'm doubtful that one individual out there was saying "Lol, canceling my pre-order, come to my stream of the game!".

But I do think it's lame that the aspects of the game meant to be kept secret are no longer secret. Full voice acting, addition of supports, Chapter 6. It reminds me of Smash DLC characters, wouldn't Ryu, the first DLC guest character, have been much cooler if he wasn't leaked weeks before? I was already sold on Shadows of Valentia, but the parts of the game that I don't like being confirmed only makes me more upset. Since SoV didn't get it's fair shot at showing me how serviceable these Gaiden maps can be.

15 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Ryu, the first DLC guest character, have been much cooler if he wasn't leaked weeks before?

He was leaked? lmao I never even notice haha.

I'm generally okay with leaks though as it helps supply me (and others) with information that may or may not impact my decision to buy the game. Plus it's cool to hear some of the new stuff, and if you don't want to hear anything, then you can (hopefully) ignore the data-leaks by avoiding topics or threads on them. Also if people only play the leaked copy that is indeed kinda sucky, but I commented on that already.

Okay so as I was writing this I saw a lady walking on the street outside of my house and she had the cutest Shiba Inu and I'm just dead inside because I love Shiba Inus since they're really cute and fluffy and I just want to pet it omggg pls let me haz ur doge

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

I'm doubtful that one individual out there was saying "Lol, canceling my pre-order, come to my stream of the game!".

But I do think it's lame that the aspects of the game meant to be kept secret are no longer secret. Full voice acting, addition of supports, Chapter 6. It reminds me of Smash DLC characters, wouldn't Ryu, the first DLC guest character, have been much cooler if he wasn't leaked weeks before? I was already sold on Shadows of Valentia, but the parts of the game that I don't like being confirmed only makes me more upset. Since SoV didn't get it's fair shot at showing me how serviceable these Gaiden maps can be.

Oh yeah, it sucks when big news sites post about leaks. Kinda ruins the fun. Or when people post spoilers without regard.

Over here, I think we've done a decent job keeps thing under wrap, as much as possible anyway.

To be fair, some of those things aren't really secrets per se. Well, supports maybe (although I blame that on poor PR) and Chapter 6, but that's the fault of the guidebooks XD

Full voice acting we knew from Day 1.

When it comes to leaks, I'm on the fence. If it's something that has a long wait period, like Fire Emblem Awakening (even though that wasn't leaked), I can understand bit more. However, something that gets leaked with a clear release date and only a few weeks (and bad glitches/graphical problems because it can't be played normally) doesn't seem worth it…

Personally, I'm going to buy the game anyway, so I'm grateful for any information people can find.

34 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Oh yeah, it sucks when big news sites post about leaks. Kinda ruins the fun. Or when people post spoilers without regard.

Not only that, but I think you might want to take a look at this also. I just searched around google about the leak. I did see them mentioned that they used your name and this site in their posts regarding about the Echoes leak.

I kinda think about I do remembered that Nintendo were handling to get those Pokemon Sun and Moon leaks such as the Chinese Rumor leak of the concept art of the Three Final Evolution starters that have Marlon in it and did deleted all of the Pirated Hacker's YouTube videos that involves with pirated leaking of Pokemon Sun and Moon back then before Pokemon Sun and Moon was officially released.

Also, I was just thinking about something that I don't want to get people scared, but what guys do you think that if Nintendo did found out about the Echoes data and a few pirated hackers leaking Echoes to show off the footage, do you guys think Nintendo might take down Serenes Forest from using the Echoes leaks or just the Echoes info if they found out where is the leak came from? I still think they'll might take action on Linkmster's and the other one that was leaking the amiibos and made them as playable in YouTube since it looks like they might be risking a ban similar to like how the Pokemon Sun and Moon Pirated Hacker lost his Wi-Fi and digital copy since he not smart to do that and they don't look like they appeared to be involving this site for mentioning about the leaked details of Echoes?

Edited by King Marth 64

2 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

do you guys think Nintendo might take down Serenes Forest from using the Echoes leaks or just the Echoes info if they found out where is the leak came from?

There's no way they'd take down serenesforest. That seems extremely improbable, so I wouldn't worry. As for Linkmstr's videos, he made sure not to send data to Nintendo about gameplay and promos when creating his file, so in other words, he isn't using spotpass functions whereas a lot of people who got leaked versions of S/M were idiots and decided to use Nintendo's online services, meaning Nintendo could actually do something about them. Hence, the bans.

58 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Not only that, but I think you might want to take a look at this also. I just searched around google about the leak. I did see them mentioned that they used your name and this site in their posts regarding about the Echoes leak.

(snip)

Also, I was just thinking about something that I don't want to get people scared, but what guys do you think that if Nintendo did found out about the Echoes data and a few pirated hackers leaking Echoes to show off the footage, do you guys think Nintendo might take down Serenes Forest from using the Echoes leaks or just the Echoes info if they found out where is the leak came from?

I guess it made the news, yeah, but those aren't really big news sites. Or maybe Google is giving me different results than yours.

Er, I mean anything could happen, but I don't think Nintendo cares unless we actually uploaded the ROM or something. In the worst case scenario, if SF got a legitimate C&D, yeah I would take down the content until release date.

You're not alone. I greatly dislike leaks, especially since the Smash 4 leaks a few years ago. The economics don't bother me as much as the ethics though. I see leaking as stealing, and even if you buy the game when it comes out, you should have just waited to get it instead of stealing the information.

You might see me as a hypocrite then, as I've been listening to this games soundtrack. But the thing here is, music is just a small part of the game. I'm not seeing the maps or the cutscenes where the music plays; I'm just listening to the music. I'll still get the game (probably) but until the game comes out I'm going to avoid watching or emulating gameplay and other aspects of the game.