Favorite characters for each class?

Cleric: Silque. Unless Faye counts since she gets some insane cleric skills, but if not, than Silque. Her and Genny are almost equal, however. Not too invested in either.

Mercenary: Saber. I always enjoy the good ol' merc badasses, of which Saber fits well. Hopefully he'll continue the legacy of strong mercenary characters with Ogma, Raven, Gerik and Dieck).  

Cavalier: Mathilda. One of the only good designs in the original game, she's still looking great here. Probably one of my favourite horse riders in the series. 

Mage: Delthea. Don't particularly find any mage that interesting, but Delthea's story makes me inclined to go with her. 

Pegasus Knight: Katria, then Clair. Katria will always be an OG for me, but Clair's designs really good.

Soldier: Lukas. I can't even remember if there were any other soldiers. 

Villager: Faye. No competition from the others here. 

Archer: Python. I like his design, but I also don't like Leon.

Cleric: Silque

Merc: Kamui

Cavalier: Mathilda

Mage: Luthier

Pegasus Knight: Est

Soldier: Lukas

Villager: Gray

Archer: Python; his hair is a work of art, and his face...oml would husbando 10/10

My picks are based on aesthetics only. 

Villager: Tobin. I find that I really like his design over Kliff's. Tobin actually looks like a village freshly recruited to fight in the army. 

Soldier: Lukas. Probably the best looking heavy armor unit in all of Fire Emblem.

Archer: Python. The coolest looking archer I've ever seen.

Cavalier: Mathilda looks like Athena, Aphrodite, or some other greek goddess. She looks awesome.

Mercenary: Saber. Such a badass. Gives Ogma a run for his money.

Mage: Boey. Though I don't like the archetypical anime pre-teen magic user, Hidari handled his redesign very well. Boey looks way better than Luthier, because Boey's tunic is pretty amazing. I just hate, HATE, when mages are given robes that look like dresses, because Luthier looks like he is wearing grandma's drapes. 

Cleric: Silque - I love the detail that was put into her outfit. It's such a shame she loses it when she promotes. 

Pegasus Knight: Claire - I don't think I've ever seen a blonde (canon) pegasus knight in Fire Emblem, ever. Though Catria looks amazing with her short hair, I prefer Claire's design just for the fact that she stands out from the myriad of technicolor hair pegasus knights. 

Edited by Leif

i'm disappointed that leon isn't more popular

Cleric - Silque

Mage - Luthier/Sonya

Archer - Leon, though I also like Python

Pegasus Knight - Clair

Cavalier - Mathilda

Mercenary - Jesse

Knight - Valbar, though Lukas is cool too.

Villager - Kliff

28 minutes ago, John_of_Valentia said:

What?! Pure perfect angel Silque loses the detail in her robes when she promotes?

Well, she will wear something along the lines of that Tatiana wears. A sleeveless robe. Saints almost look like Dancers in this game. 

Until I play the game and learn more about the characters, most of my choices are just based on design.

Pegasus Knight: Palla

Villager: Gray

Knight: Forsyth

Mercenary: Jesse

Archer: Python

Mage: Luthier

Cleric: Genny tbh, love the hair poofs and her facial expression

Merc: Saber, he's just so badass and also in Japanese he's Dio

Mage: My main man Luthier, so beautiful and badass

Cav: Q U E E N  M A T H I L D A, I love her dearly with all of my heart, so elegant, so gorgeous

Peg: I'm a Palla fanboy let's be real

Soldier: Valbo is my favorite design/character out of the Soldiers, but Forsythe was a total legend as a Baron in Gaiden, so I'm torn

Archer: Why would you make me choose between these two beautiful men??? I love Python and Leon both so much

Killager: I gotta say, Atlas is just so awesomely designed. I'm determined to make him usable. Honorable mention to Tobin for being super cute and also becoming a baller unit.

Lord: Yes, yes, I know, neither of them have Lord as a class, they aren't even the same class, yadda yadda yadda, but Alm is my favorite of the two protagonists.

Villager: Atlas (I just love how they took his ridiculously high Strength and based his new design entirely on it)

Archer: Python and his godly hair

Knight/Soldier: Valbar

Mercenary: Kamui

Mage: Mae or Delthea (I'm slowly leaning more towards Delthea because the fang is seriously the cutest thing ever)

Pegasus Knight: Clair

Solely based off of aesthetic and what we know about the characters:

Villager: Atlas, his design is hot as hell, not sure if he's going to be an interesting character though.

Archer: At first I would've said Python because he's also gorgeous and one of my favourite redesigns, but after learning some new things about Leon I've got to give it to him, he's also got a beautiful design as well.

Mage: I love Booey's design but after hearing Mae's voice I have to give it to her, she's awesome. I really like Sonya and Luthier's designs as well.

Knight/Soldier: Lukas

Cleric: Slique

Mercenary: Jesse and his pecs but Kamui is a close second 

Pegasus Knight: Catria 

Cavalier: Conrad 

Villager: Atlas

Archer: Leon

Mage: Tie between Sonya and Delthea

Knight: My boy Lukas

Cleric: Faye, this ones an interesting one but I actually like Faye as a Cleric. 

Mercenary: Saber/Dio

Pegasus Knight: Palla, her animation for killing an enemy is one of the best in SoV

Edited by Corivas

Villager - Tobin

Soldier - Lukas - one of the best character designs in the series (along with Mathilda, Silque, Clair and Palla)

Cleric - Silque - such a nice design

Cavalier - Mathilda. Ass-kicking Goddess

Pegasus Knight - Clair, with Palla as a very close second. Stunning redesigns

Mages - Mae and Boey

Mercenaries - Kamui, I like all three a lot though

Archers - Python. Words cannot describe how cool he looks, particularly for an archer!

Overall, I think Hidari has done an absolutely amazing job on these units, easily the best character artist for a fire emblem game (sorry, I mostly judged these on aesthetic, due to not playing Gaiden)

Villager - Atlas

Soldier - Lukas

Cleric - Silque

Mercenary - Kamui

Cavalier - Mathilda

Pegasus Knight - Clair, but Palla and Catria are extremely close

Mage - Sonya and Boey tied, but all of them are excellent

Archer - Leon