I forgot how good Kentadin/Sainadin was

Jedi

So I'm recording a run for the Black Fang Comms right now of FE7, and I decided to do Lyn HM followed by Hector Hard Mode, and its been awhile since I did Kentadin (taking Wallaces Knight crest and giving it to Kent while shoveling him full of exp). 

6fc23ac68ca0016e72718ff8b1c772a0.jpg

I've created a Monster. He and Marcus are going to rip things to shreds.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Enaluxeme said:

Doesn't seem that impressive actually. Those are stats that would fit an unpromoted Kent. Did you promote him at level 10?

Most likely promoted around 10. Considering how much Marcus can do in FE7, imagine having a second Marcus who only gets better because of his growths. It puts you in a fairly comfortable position, unless you desire the might of Wallace at his peak!

1 hour ago, Shin said:

Most likely promoted around 10. Considering how much Marcus can do in FE7, imagine having a second Marcus who only gets better because of his growths. It puts you in a fairly comfortable position, unless you desire the might of Wallace at his peak!

In practice, an average 10/1 Kent and Sain are worse because Marcus will have a significant level lead over them and better weapon ranks as well (their 10/20 stats aren't significantly better, either).

Marcus (??/20): 43.35HP           20.7Str         24.75Skl         15.75Spd           13.7Lck          12.85Def         14.65Res

Sain (10/20):     43.4HP (-.1)      25Str (+4.3)  14.8Skl (-9.95) 18.2Spd (+2.45) 13.8Lck (+.01) 13.6Def (+.75)  6.6Res (-8.95)

Kent (10/20):     45.8HP (+2.45) 18.2Str (-2.5) 21Skl (-4.75)   20.6Spd (+4.85)  7.6Lck (-6.1)   14Def (+1.15)   9Res (-5.65)

Edited by Refa

Refa did what I was about to, but opted not to.

And don't forget that at base Kent and Sain will both be inferior to the purple haired god.

I'd say in theory Sain makes the better Lyn Pally due to capping Str even when early crested, and 18 Spd should be enough for doubling most things. Of course this all depends on whether Kent's couple extra Spd have any meaningful impact in the short- and mid-terms.

Wait what? In Lyn hard mode the game DOESN'T force you to use Wallace's knight crest on Wallace himself? Learn something new every day...

I also learned today that Marcus apparently isn't a sucky jeigan.

Try comparing promoted characters to base Marcus. Then consider his growths in fe7 are better than in fe6. He most definitely doesn't suck.

That is true for every prepromoted character in this game, actually. Well except Renault, but his condition of suckyness mostly comes from light tomes being bad and Athos existing.

31 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Wait what? In Lyn hard mode the game DOESN'T force you to use Wallace's knight crest on Wallace himself? Learn something new every day...

I also learned today that Marcus apparently isn't a sucky jeigan.

In the world of LTCing, there is no such thing as a sucky jeigan.

56 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

In the world of LTCing, there is no such thing as a sucky jeigan.

That reminds me, I'll have to try a draft sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Enaluxeme said:

That is true for every prepromoted character in this game, actually. Well except Renault, but his condition of suckyness mostly comes from light tomes being bad and Athos existing.

Renault's problem isn't Light Magic, it's having 12 Magic at --/16! That magic is so bad, with Divine he only deals 5 damage to the lowest Res boss morph in Final. Bad even without considering the 30 damage 37 critical monster of Luna!Athos.

Given his origins as described in his supports, it isn't surprising his Magic is so bad. Though if they had upped his Con to 12, thrown him an Aura tome, and bolstered all his non-Magic stats a couple more points, he could have been a fairly interesting (low power but very high durability mage) last minute recruit. I mean he gets 3 chapters at most to strut his stuff (one of which has Kishuna), it's impossible for him to be broken.

If reclass were around, he'd probably would have made a solid Hero.

3 hours ago, Refa said:

In practice, an average 10/1 Kent and Sain are worse because Marcus will have a significant level lead over them and better weapon ranks as well (their 10/20 stats aren't significantly better, either).

Granted their averages are pretty comparable, but having Marcus junior who eventually goes on to become Marcus's evil twin isn't something many units can claim to do at chapter 17. There is Lowen but I find he doesn't quite make the strength/speed thresholds he needs.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Renault's problem isn't Light Magic, it's having 12 Magic at --/16! That magic is so bad, with Divine he only deals 5 damage to the lowest Res boss morph in Final. Bad even without considering the 30 damage 37 critical monster of Luna!Athos.

Given his origins as described in his supports, it isn't surprising his Magic is so bad. Though if they had upped his Con to 12, thrown him an Aura tome, and bolstered all his non-Magic stats a couple more points, he could have been a fairly interesting (low power but very high durability mage) last minute recruit. I mean he gets 3 chapters at most to strut his stuff (one of which has Kishuna), it's impossible for him to be broken.

If reclass were around, he'd probably would have made a solid Hero.

You are right. What I meant is that a character with low magic using the tomes with the lowest might is a recipe for failure. If he was a dark magic user he would have been much better.

Also I imagine he would make for a perfect war cleric...

1 hour ago, Shin said:

Granted their averages are pretty comparable, but having Marcus junior who eventually goes on to become Marcus's evil twin isn't something many units can claim to do at chapter 17. There is Lowen but I find he doesn't quite make the strength/speed thresholds he needs.

Oh yeah, that's fair.  Two prepromote (basically) Paladins early on is insane in HHM.

6 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

Doesn't seem that impressive actually. Those are stats that would fit an unpromoted Kent. Did you promote him at level 10?

12 actually, but its still fun because FE7 isn't even that rough. He'll be destroying people for quite a few maps in this HHM run.

I actually used to think Sain and Kent were both shit for the longest time because I was never a fan of mounted units for whatever reason, but my opinions have changed. They're both excellent due to decent durability, stats, and weapon triangle. Lately it seems as I've gone more playthroughs, Erk on the other hand seems to be falling on my personal tier list, since his growths sometimes are so shaky and he's so squishy to so many things early on. It's hard to justify throwing experience at him anymore when eventually he gets benched sadly :(