Trails Series

Corrobin

6 hours ago, Rapier said:

So, I haven't played TITS in a long time, and I feel like playing SC as I already finished FC (3-4 years ago, iirc) and I don't really feel like playing through it all again, despite it being a great game. The problem is that I don't remember much about the game's mechanics and the orbs system. How beaten up will I get if I play SC anyway?

It shouldn't beat you up too badly on Normal, especially if you have Agate who cheeses a majority of SC. 

However the beginning of the game is the hardest part, if you're still in that segment.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Never played any games in this series (only have a PS3 with no intentions of getting a 4, and no PC) but I've heard the franchise has good world-building. Out of curiosity, could someone go into a bit of depth and explain to me exactly how detailed the world-building is?

in Trails FC for one example, you visit an entire nation over the course of a game meeting with various (well written NPCs) who all have different dialog past every event, the characters have tons of relations with other people in the cast, and its just beautiful. The world has a rich history which gets delved into as well.

25 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Guys, sell me on Cold Steel. I played up until the part where you fought like, a bunch of gorillas or some shit in a forest during a school trip/mission. It just seemed soooooo slooooow. I picked it up because I was a big fan of TITS, but I haven't played it in like, a year. Now that Cold Steel 2 is out, I'm interested again, but man my first impressions weren't super strong.

Cold Steel starts a tad slow yes, but with major pay off, I find the cast a very enjoyable lot. Even more so than FC/SC's, but opinions are a thing, I also think Cold Steel has some of the best RPG gameplay I've experienced in quite some time, FC/SC have a somewhat stronger story, I find CS has the fairly stronger gameplay and I like the cast more, that along with the world being a little less idealistic (not a huge problem but some things that happen in SC should have had stronger consequences imo.)

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who also had poor first impressions of Cold Steel (honestly, it's my least favourite Trails game, although I still enjoyed it), I can say it was definitely worth playing.  What really put me off early on was the school setting and how forced the pacing was, and honestly, neither of these get better for 80% of the game.  HOWEVER, what really kept me going was a combination of the world building, character development, and combat.  While I didn't like the school setting itself, the NPC's within it get a fuckton of development considering how much time you spend there, and they became some of my favorite characters by the end.  I feel like the NPC's outside of the school suffer with less being memorable outside of some exceptions, but Falcom did a great job creating the actual places themselves, and it's just nice finally being able to explore the empire after the Sky games.  As for the characters, I myself wasn't too attached to them early on.  However, throughout the game, they have these heart to hearts (for lack of a better term) that does a great job of portraying what actual relationships are like.  This, along with Cold Steel's version of supports, really helped endear them to me throughout the game.  This isn't to discount their story portrayals, but the story really takes some time to get going (which it shares in common with FC, with the earlier parts of the game being more focused on world building), so they don't really shine in the main plot itself until it picks up.  Although you start with way fewer combat options than you do in either of the Sky games, after the combat opens up some more, it's a blast.  While it's not quite as well balanced as Sky (arts are the worst they've ever been in the entire series, and orbments themselves are greatly simplified), it's super fast paced and really makes you pumped up to beat up more bad dudes.

Fishing is also the best in Cold Steel.

It also sets up for Cold Steel 2, which I haven't finished but has been pretty fun so far.

Edited by Refa
Added more information about chars/gameplay

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Guys, sell me on Cold Steel. I played up until the part where you fought like, a bunch of gorillas or some shit in a forest during a school trip/mission. It just seemed soooooo slooooow. I picked it up because I was a big fan of TITS, but I haven't played it in like, a year. Now that Cold Steel 2 is out, I'm interested again, but man my first impressions weren't super strong.

The best way to enjoy Cold Steel is to immerse yourself in the world.  The best place to do that is the library, which is THE world-building dump.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The best way to enjoy Cold Steel is to immerse yourself in the world.  The best place to do that is the library, which is THE world-building dump.

I'll keep that in mind.

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Like in the Elder Scrolls games?

6 hours ago, Rapier said:

Like in the Elder Scrolls games?

Kinda, but theres not nearly as much reading there. It just helps you get into the world, then the various great characters further envelope you.

Honestly I got introduced into ToCS only because of the similarities to Persona (school stuff, day organizing).

I kinda miss it the first mentioned point in II, but on the other hand it wouldn't make any sense to add this plotwise, so it's fine for me.

ToCS II is more open early on, I'm not a big fan of I have to say.
Therefore it has more playable characters and also more battles and even more amazing music.

Edit: Both Trails of Cold Steel games are on sale till 26th April in European PS Store.

Edited by Alisa Reinford

• 2 weeks later...

Sry, I asked it somewhere else already, but I have a really important question about ToCS II:
Is there a common bug or similar issue that makes it unable to play all the stuff after the final boss?

After all the characters with their childhood images had been shown, the game didn't continue. I had just a black screen. I waited for ten minutes (beat the final boss twice to make sure) but nothing happened.

Edited by Alisa Reinford

7 hours ago, Alisa Reinford said:

Sry, I asked it somewhere else already, but I have a really important question about ToCS II:
Is there a common bug or similar issue that makes it unable to play all the stuff after the final boss?

After all the characters with their childhood images had been shown, the game didn't continue. I had just a black screen. I waited for ten minutes (beat the final boss twice to make sure) but nothing happened.

Never had that issue myself.

7 hours ago, Alisa Reinford said:

I've heard of it happening before. PS3 version, by any chance?

On 4/22/2017 at 11:55 PM, Slumber said:

Those gorillas took me three straight days to defeat, everything else took less than an hour

1 hour ago, BakanGin said:

Those gorillas took me three straight days to defeat, everything else took less than an hour

Delay is your friend, especially in CS1. 

18 hours ago, Alisa Reinford said:

I'm playing the PS3 version.

It really seems to be a common problem.

Yeah, I didn't have any relevant issues on the Vita version, but I asked my boyfriend (who played the PS3 version) and he mentioned his game stalling for like a minute at that point. It came back in his case, but he was still really concerned.

I for one would've been pissed, since going through that one battle with an underdeveloped shitter team was no picnic. Only time in the game besides the gorillas where I felt like I had to try.

2 hours ago, Alisa Reinford said:

Hmm... that's really weird.

But nevertheless I have to accept that this game doesn't continue in my case.

Hopefully I didn't miss too much.

It isn't much, but it's important

For instance, your question about Altina isn't even implied, it's flat-out shown there

• 1 month later...

While I haven't played any of the Trails games yet, I bought Cold Steel I and II. They should hopefully be coming in the mail fairly soon. I've heard the Trails games in general have really good characters and world building, which I'm looking forward to experiencing.

Edited by spiderbrush

12 minutes ago, spiderbrush said:

While I haven't played any of the Trails games yet, I bought Cold Steel I and II. They should hopefully be coming in the mail fairly soon. I've heard the Trails games in general have really good characters and world building, which I'm looking forward to experiencing.

They have spectacular world building and characters although people prefer how Skys characters are a little bit more than CS's, but you'll still find really good ones there too.

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

They have spectacular world building and characters although people prefer how Skys characters are a little bit more than CS's, but you'll still find really good ones there too.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm actually interested in the Sky games, too. They're on Steam now, right? Although I'm not sure if my computer will be strong enough to run them, even though they do not have the most advanced graphics...

Just now, spiderbrush said:

Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm actually interested in the Sky games, too. They're on Steam now, right? Although I'm not sure if my computer will be strong enough to run them, even though they do not have the most advanced graphics...

You could run them on a toaster i'm fairly sure, they aren't very intensive at all.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky/

Just now, Jedi said:

You could run them on a toaster i'm fairly sure, they aren't very intensive at all.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky/

I see. Thank you! Perhaps I will give them a go, then...some time next year, perhaps. I've been spending quite a bit of money this year....

5 minutes ago, spiderbrush said:

I see. Thank you! Perhaps I will give them a go, then...some time next year, perhaps. I've been spending quite a bit of money this year....

Understandable, this year has been pretty great for all things in general haha.