Question about Ike

Okay so I've been kind of tricked up about this. My friends have been confusing me about Ike. So what I really want to know is, Is Ike royalty or not? I think I recall he wasn't born noble or something like that but my friend has been saying he was offered the crown but denied it. So what's with Ike?

Ike is not royalty.

Ike's father Gawain/Greil was a general in the Daein army before he left it due to Lehran's Medallion things. Whether he was a noble when a general, we have no idea.

In Path of Radiance, Ike after C17 is given a title and made a Lord so the Begnion troops Sanaki gives him and Elincia will respect him as their commander.

At the end of PoR, Ike remains a noble in Crimea. But sometime before Radiant Dawn starts, he abandons the title and goes back to being a mercenary finding aristocratic life boring, stuffy, and other things like that. Ike never reclaims his title.

No, he is not royalty. Ike was given the title of Lord (to match the other FE heroes) temporarily in Path of Radiance as he was leading the Crimean and Begnion armies, but he soon renounced the title between FE9 and FE10.

Whether or not his parents were ever royalty is unknown.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ike is not royalty.

Ike's father Gawain/Greil was a general in the Daein army before he left it due to Lehran's Medallion things. Whether he was a noble when a general, we have no idea.

In Path of Radiance, Ike after C17 is given a title and made a Lord so the Begnion troops Sanaki gives him and Elincia will respect him as their commander.

At the end of PoR, Ike remains a noble in Crimea. But sometime before Radiant Dawn starts, he abandons the title and goes back to being a mercenary finding aristocratic life boring, stuffy, and other things like that. Ike never reclaims his title.

So he sort of gave up the title of King that was given to him? 

Nope, Ike is the first and only lord in the series so far that was not born into a royal or noble family. He earns a noble title through his deeds instead and later renounces it because he decides it's not for him like everybody else said. He was never offered a crown or any royal position, however, only a noble title. Though if he wanted, I'm pretty sure he could've become Daein's king since he kinda conquered the capital and then beat Ashnard.

Question's been answered, so I think a mod ought to lock this. :P

Edited by Anacybele

He was never given a title of King. He was just named a noble (specifically a lord) briefly so that he could officially lead the Begnion troops Sanaki gave him (as Begnion is extremely classist). The title was always supposed to be temporary, and when Sephiran pointed out to Ike that, as he saved the continent from continent-wide war, no title would be out of his reach, Ike tells Sephiran that, once things settle down, he (Ike) would go back to being a common mercenary. And, sometime between PoR and RD, Ike did just that; he went back to being a peasant mercenary.

His father was Sir Gawain, one of Daein's Four Riders (basically the four champions of Daein's army).

"Greil was once a famed general... He was Sir Gawain, one of Daein's Four Riders, and I recognized him at once." -Volke in Chapter 19 of PoR.

Now it is not confirmed that Gawain was of nobility, but since he was referred to as SIr Gawain, and it wasn't until Ashnard's reign that peasants could become knights, Gawain likely was originally of nobility. However, since he went into exile to keep the medallion out of Ashnard's hands, if he did have any noble titles, he gave them up by leaving Daein and changing his name.

Edited by vanguard333

Actually, we know that he was.

As Sothe informed us, Ashnard was the first Daein king to allow commoners to become generals. Since Gawain served under Ashnard's father before Ashnard became king (let alone changed the rules to allow anyone of sufficient strength and skill to become a general), it follows that Gawain must have been of noble birth.

Which, of course, he forfeited when he fled Daein.

Edited by Paper Jam