Serenes Makes a FE Game Tier List: Round 5

Jedi

I got the idea to do this from this Reddit thread, who borrowed the format from Mekkkah

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/6432tv/rfireemblem_makes_a_games_tier_list_final_results/

Every round, we're going to determine the best and the worst game left to be tiered. So during the first round, we will determine the best and worst games in the series, then the second round the second best and second worst, and so on.

Every user gets three votes of different value. You get to hand out 3 points to your favorite game for the spot in question, 2 for your next favorite and 1 for the one right behind that. This way votes more accurately represent everyone's opinions.

I'll post the usual example just to make things clear. Let's say we were using this system in the FE7 tier list and I think the best three units are Marcus, Sain, and Kent in that order (from best to third best), while the worst are Nino, Karla, and Wallace (from worst to third worst). My vote would look like:

Best

3 pts - Marcus

2 pts - Sain

1 pt - Kent

Worst

3 pts - Nino

2 pts - Karla

1 pt - Wallace

FE1: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light

FE2: Gaiden

FE3: Mystery of the Emblem

FE4: Genealogy of the Holy War

FE5: Thracia 776

FE6: Binding Blade

FE7: Blazing Blade

FE8: Sacred Stones

FE9: Path of Radiance

FE10: Radiant Dawn

FE11: Shadow Dragon

FE12: New Mystery of the Emblem

FE13: Awakening

FE14B: Fates-Birthright

FE14C: Fates-Conquest

FE14R: Fates-Revelation

So how this works basically is that this round will decide the very worst and the very best, in Serenes opinion, then next round we will decide the 2nd best, and so forth, until we have put every game in a spot. 

Each round will last a day, this should take around 8 days. You will be allowed one set of votes per round. Also further note, do not get insulted by varying opinions, people love & dislike games in this franchise for very differing reasons. You can state reasons if you so desire.

My own votes for this round are as follows. 

Best

3 Pts: Binding Blade 

2 Pts: Thracia 776 

1 Pts: Path of Radiance 

Worst 

3 Pts: Fates-Revelation 

2 Pts: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light 

1 Pts: Gaiden

Somehow it ended up with me quoting even my own words gg me, learn to format.

Round 1 Result 

Best 
Blazing Blade/Sword 

Middle

Fates Revelations
Worst

You cannot vote for things already placed. Just a general message out there.

Round 2 results 

Best 
Blazing Blade/Sword 
Thracia 776

Middle

Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light
Fates Revelations
Worst

Round 3 results 

Best 
Blazing Blade/Sword 
Thracia 776
Sacred Stones

Middle

Gaiden
Fates Revelations
Worst

Vote for 4th Best & 4th Worst. Without using the games already scored.

Round 4 Results 

Best 
Blazing Blade/Sword 
Thracia 776
Sacred Stones
Genealogy of the Holy War

Middle

Shadow Dragon
Gaiden
Fates Revelations
Worst

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds fun, I'll join.

Best

3 points - blazing sword

2 points - genealogy of the holy war

1 point - thracia 776

Worst

3 points - fates birthright

2 points - gaiden

1 point - shadow dragon

Best

3: Radiant Dawn
2: Fates - Conquest
1: Blazing Sword

Worst

3: FE1
2: Genealogy
1: Shadow Dragon

I find it a bit hard to vote on worst because I haven't played FE2 or FE5 (or FE3, but at least FE12 gives me an idea) and haven't played any of FE1-5 to completion. Maybe if I played Gaiden it'd be the worst to me, I dunno.

I like this idea but I really don't like categorising my favourites. Always seems to end up being a battle between what I objectivly think is best, what I most enjoyed and what I feel will be underrated. Regardless, here goes.

Best

3-Holy War

2-GLORY TO THRACIA

1-Sword of Seals/Binding Blade/FE6/What ever its official name is now

Worst

3-Path of Radiance (assigning 3 here means worst right?)

2-Blazing Blade

1-New Mystery

Best

3- Thracia 776

2- Blazing Blade

1- Binding Blade

Worst

3- Revelations

2- Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light

1- Genealogy of the Holy War

I'll post my take as well.

Best

3 pts - Fire Emblem Awakening

2 pts - Fire Emblem Conquest

1 pts - Sacred Stones

Worst

3 pts - Fire Emblem 1

2 pts - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

1 pts - Fire Emblem Gaiden

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I like this idea but I really don't like categorising my favourites. Always seems to end up being a battle between what I objectivly think is best, what I most enjoyed and what I feel will be underrated. Regardless, here goes.

Best

3-Holy War

2-GLORY TO THRACIA

1-Sword of Seals/Binding Blade/FE6/What ever its official name is now

Worst

3-Path of Radiance (assigning 3 here means worst right?)

2-Blazing Blade

1-New Mystery

Going to leave my reasoning too. Would have before but posted in a hurry.

Holy War: Notoriously unbalanced but in a way the utter lack of balance still leaves it relatively stable. The game can still be challenging, at least on first playthroughs and the story is the best the series has had for a wide margin even with all the overly expositive dialogue. This game had teeth and was willing to do things few other games, let alone Fire Emblem games, dare to do.

Thracia: Basically the unbalanced but balanced metric of Holy War taken up to eleven. A lot of bizarre and over the top actions like Staves basically become the air force in how critically they are, even healing staves having a chance to miss, crazy powerful and durable personal weapons, trap tiles, authority star spamming. And then just interesting gimmicks like fatigue and tiredness. What sounds like annoying bullshit (which it is for many) reaches a perfect storm of balance that leaves a challenging game where threats aren't in your enemy's stats, but their formation and tactics.

Binding Blade: Not really sure why I put this one third. I've put way more hours into Awakening and Shadow Dragon than it, having only finished it three times (in fact, I don't think I've even played the Maltet Gaiden so I'm not sure I can even say I've properly played it). But there's something Quintessential about it.  Maybe because it was the first game to use the kickass GBA sprites. Or maybe it's just the way Gaidens are implemented. I guess ultimately I compare it to the other Gameboy Advance games and when I think of them I can easily list their flaws but here, the only imperfection I see is being a bit basic which isn't something I hold against a game. Regardless it strikes a chord with  me that the other games don't. At least today. Shadow Dragon could be here tomorrow. Or even Gaiden, which honestly I probably enjoyed more but only have one play through under my belt (and a rather recent one at that, meaning I can only look at it with anti-nostalgia goggles) to judge by.

Path of Radiance: This one is probably a victim of circumstance more than anything. Radiant Dawn was the first game in the series I played and Path of Radiance was like the eight or ninth. So I'd already been exposed to the world building and the Fire Emblem plot formula (which despite the surface elements, it doesn't really deviate much from). Coupled with an generally easy level of difficulty (blame the localisers) and a skill system that feels plain inferior to its successor and you come out with a pretty lack lustre game.

Blazing Blade: Much like Binding Blade I'm unsure really why I have this here. Actually no, I do know. It's Lyn mode. Much like Path of Radiance being a victim a circumstance, this one is even more so. Lyn mode was designed for beginners into the series which I was definitely not by the time I got to it. All of the tutorial dialogue is unskipable and it even takes control away from the player and forces them to take certain actions. Normally it wouldn't be to bad, once you play it once its done, never have to touch it again and if you do you can play on hard mode and skip the tutorial sections. Except it just os happens the cartridge version of the game I bought would randomly delete by save file every no and then resulting in my having played through Lyn mode about four or five times in total. It shouldn't but something like that can sour an entire experience. It also really highlights how ultimately pointless Lyn ends up being in the main campaign.

New Mystery: I should give this game another shot. I've only played it through once but it just plain failed to connect with me in that play through. Compared to Shadow Dragon which I've played like seven or eight times. It handles its Gaiden better than Shadow Dragon but that's about the only praise I can really give it. Everything else was just sort of bland and the insistence of throwing in every single character in that universe into the game was poorly implemented. Oh and blatantly reusing maps fro Shadow Dragon was also something that irked me.

Edited by Jotari

Best;

3 pts - Geneaology
2 pts - GLORY TO THRACIA
1 pt -  Path of Radiance

Worst;
3 pts - Radiant Dawn
2 pts - New Mystery of the Emblem
1 pt - Awakening

Best

Awakening - 3 points

Radiant Dawn - 2 points

Sacred Stones - 1 point

Worst

Revelation - 3 points

Blazing Blade - 2 points

Gaiden - 1 point

(I've not played 3-6 or 12)

Edited by Thane

Is this meant to be objective? I hate Radiant Dawn so I've put it at 3 for worst but honestly Gaiden is definitely a much weaker game.

Best

3 - Thracia 776

2 - Binding Blade

1 - New Mystery of the Emblem

Worst

3 - Radiant Dawn

2 - Awakening

1 - Gaiden

Haven't played Fates

Edited by Irysa

2 minutes ago, Irysa said:

Is this meant to be objective? I hate Radiant Dawn so I'd put it at 3 for worst but honestly Gaiden is definitely a much weaker game.

Go for favorites and least favorites. 

Best

3 points - TearRing Saga Thracia 776

2 points - Path of Radiance

1 Point - New Mystery

Worst

3 - Revelation

2 - Dark Dragon & Sword of Light

1 - Birthright

Edited by Deltre

Hrm, I haven't played all of the Fire Emblem games but I think I've played enough to do this

Best

3 Points - Radiant Dawn

2 Points - Path of Radiance

1 Point - Blazing Sword

Worst

3 Points - Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light

2 Points - Awakening

1 Point - Sacred Stones

Best:

3pts: Blazing Sword

2pts: Sacred Stones

1pt: Conquest (story was weak, but Lunatic was an amazing, difficult, challenging, rewarding experience and the map design was very interesting)

Worst:

3pts: Shadow Dragon (the remake looked ugly and bland, and kept the boring, archaic map design and didn't much to the bare bones story or characters)

2pts: FE12

1pt: Revelation

Edited by XaosLogos

Best

3pt New Mystery - these three games are going to get bottom -6 in this tier list for sure, but I'm still voting for them every time.

2pt Shadow Dragon - this is probably because I practically only play FE for its secret difficulty modes at this point

1pt Conquest - consequently after they are out, I will vote awakening over every game before 11 in a heartbeat.

Worst

3pt Genealogy - "It can still be challenging on your first time" BS - The only things to even keep you awake are enemy status staves and holy weapon users and those are practically as static a threat as ballista/killer weapons. FE4 is a cesspool of the low difficulty of FE7-9 combined with the long enemy phases of FE10. Stuff like FE1, FE8, awakening NM are fun to play through to make up for their low difficulty. Not so for Genealogy.  

2pt Gaiden - The tower maps, river maps, and boat maps alone should determine gaiden's fate, but I mean it also features mindless grinding, and even the joy of enemies that can warp themselves, summoning, and worse accuracy mechanics than blazing sword. 

1pt Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light -  I would put valentia here- if this thread was made next year- maybe I haven't looked through the leak threads closely enough but from what others have told me it's normal mode only, and therefore easily the worst 3DS game. Also grinding does not equal gameplay FFS.