What would you do if FE series came to an end?

Harvey

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

I agree that many TRPGs don't have the same feel as Fire Emblem but committing suicide for this is just plain bizarre don't you think? What if you ended up looking at a spiritual successor to FE and like that series to happen?

I don't think they meant it literally, lol.

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

I do wonder though....would this site still be around if FE did come to an end?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it would, seeing as how other forums like the forums for the Mother series still have many people active there.

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I don't think they meant it literally, lol.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it would, seeing as how other forums like the forums for the Mother series still have many people active there.

Oh of course.... fan hacks and fan fiction still exist....how silly of me. :P

I personally don't understand their existence but if people see them as fun things, I guess I'll leave it at that. Although to be fair, I've never tried out any one of the FE hacks so if there's one that polishes Raven's backstory, I'll play that anytime.

I'd be sad but I would continue to play old games and look forward to whatever IS makes instead. Not everything can last forever but if FE died it would not leave a small legacy, 16 (assuming in this hypothetical situation FE Switch bombs, 17 if you count BS) or even 13 games is not small amount so even if it died I can say the series had a good run.

14 hours ago, Locke087 said:

I'd be sad but I would continue to play old games and look forward to whatever IS makes instead. Not everything can last forever but if FE died it would not leave a small legacy, 16 (assuming in this hypothetical situation FE Switch bombs, 17 if you count BS) or even 13 games is not small amount so even if it died I can say the series had a good run.

which is sad when you think about all the IPs that IS has done and the only ones that were doing fine were Pushmo and Fire Emblem. If FE ends, I wonder what would happen to IS as a whole though....

9 minutes ago, Harvey said:

which is sad when you think about all the IPs that IS has done and the only ones that were doing fine were Pushmo and Fire Emblem. If FE ends, I wonder what would happen to IS as a whole though....

I'm curious about this in regards to Paper Mario. The two titles are both from IS, and both have gained a complete, controversial overhaul in the 3DS era. Obviously, the overhauls weren't identical (though there are quite a few who'd claim otherwise), but if Fire Emblem was taken out of the equation, I'm fairly positive Paper Mario would get some kind of impact.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm curious about this in regards to Paper Mario. The two titles are both from IS, and both have gained a complete, controversial overhaul in the 3DS era. Obviously, the overhauls weren't identical (though there are quite a few who'd claim otherwise), but if Fire Emblem was taken out of the equation, I'm fairly positive Paper Mario would get some kind of impact.

I skipped out Paper Mario because its an IP that's fully owned by Nintendo whichever way its put. The controversy actually started when Sticker Star showed up since the first three games were really good especially thousand year door which is my personal favorite.

FE seeing as how its not wholly owned by Nintendo because FE games always has Nintendo/Intelligent Systems for the credits and whatnot, I'm going to assume that FE is under the same thing that Pokemon is where different companies own some percent of the IP.

9 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

IS has only created a couple major franchises 

Namely Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Pushmo, and Code Name Steam ( which didn't do all that well).

Of those Advanced Wars and Paper Mario were there so most successful series until Fire Emblem kicked off.  Paper Mario still makes a lot of money (Color Splash sold decently for a Wii U game) for them, IS probably will not continue the series for a little bit due to them being not knowing where they want to go with anymore.  At least according to the director of Paper Mario they plan on taking a break for a while so we already are likely expect a new IP from this team.  

So if Fire Emblem where to bomb it would most likely directly affect IS strategy series namely any possibility of a sequel to Codename Steam or Advanced Wars.  Nintendo might give them one more chance in the strategy genre but if Fire Emblem fails badly enough for it to be discontinued I think that's the end of IS involvement in the  strategy genre more than anything.  So Paper Mario would be unaffected by that, only IS lack of interest would affect whether it continues. 

9 hours ago, Harvey said:

I skipped out Paper Mario because its an IP that's fully owned by Nintendo whichever way its put. The controversy actually started when Sticker Star showed up since the first three games were really good especially thousand year door which is my personal favorite.

FE seeing as how its not wholly owned by Nintendo because FE games always has Nintendo/Intelligent Systems for the credits and whatnot, I'm going to assume that FE is under the same thing that Pokemon is where different companies own some percent of the IP.

It's not the same as Pokémon company, but IS does own some part of the IP they created, they just don't have primary ownership of it like Pokémon company has of Pokémon. Pokémon company are a second party studio and not a first party studio.  Pokémon's ownership is actually nightmarishly complicated lol.

Edited by Locke087

14 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I'd be sad. :( But also hope for a spiritual successor that's good and gets localized.

Tear Ring Saga and Vestaria Saga are there....yeah I'll admit that graphically, the're rubbish but hey...FE spirits if you think about it...

13 hours ago, Locke087 said:

IS has only created a couple major franchises 

Namely Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Pushmo, and Code Name Steam ( which didn't do all that well).

Of those Advanced Wars and Paper Mario were there so most successful series until Fire Emblem kicked off.  Paper Mario still makes a lot of money (Color Splash sold decently for a Wii U game) for them, IS probably will not continue the series for a little bit due to them being not knowing where they want to go with anymore.  At least according to the director of Paper Mario they plan on taking a break for a while so we already are likely expect a new IP from this team.  

So if Fire Emblem where to bomb it would most likely directly affect IS strategy series namely any possibility of a sequel to Codename Steam or Advanced Wars.  Nintendo might give them one more chance in the strategy genre but if Fire Emblem fails badly enough for it to be discontinued I think that's the end

Firstly, Pushmo actually did do well. Granted the sale figures weren't revealed but if its a flopl, then we wouldn't have seen more games to it now wouldn't we. Advance wars however just didn't do well even at the start....though it was partly because of wars that FE started out.

As for the rest, yeah...IS only real profiting is actually from FE alone which compared to other IPs they made is the best one that they have ever made cash on. 

Steam will never get a sequel simply because the game bombed harder than PoR and RD that it will never get a sequel which is sad honestly....

I just have this feeling that it would be very difficult for FE to bomb so hard when you consider 

1. That it now has a permanent title font since Awakening just like every IP out there.

2. Casual mode is always here to stay from this day forth.

3. Aggressive marketing is more focused unlike before.

4. Characters are becoming more memorable compared to older titles

To be frank, IS hasn't been doing more experimentation compared to other devs Nintendo is associated with such as Hal, 1-up Studio, N-Cube, Monolith Soft etc. Once they start doing that, there's no need for them to fully rely on FE.

I mean, they did develop games like Super Metroid once...right?

13 hours ago, Locke087 said:

Pokémon's ownership is actually nightmarishly complicated lol.

That I agree. I don't even know why that sort of thing even started happening considering how Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures lost a lot of money when developing the first game.

Edited by Harvey

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Tear Ring Saga and Vestaria Saga are there....yeah I'll admit that graphically, the're rubbish but hey...FE spirits if you think about it...

Firstly, Pushmo actually did do well. Granted the sale figures weren't revealed but if its a flopl, then we wouldn't have seen more games to it now wouldn't we. Advance wars however just didn't do well even at the start....though it was partly because of wars that FE started out.

As for the rest, yeah...IS only real profiting is actually from FE alone which compared to other IPs they made is the best one that they have ever made cash on. 

Steam will never get a sequel simply because the game bombed harder than PoR and RD that it will never get a sequel which is sad honestly....

I just have this feeling that it would be very difficult for FE to bomb so hard when you consider 

1. That it now has a permanent title font since Awakening just like every IP out there.

2. Casual mode is always here to stay from this day forth.

3. Aggressive marketing is more focused unlike before.

4. Characters are becoming more memorable compared to older titles

To be frank, IS hasn't been doing more experimentation compared to other devs Nintendo is associated with such as Hal, 1-up Studio, N-Cube, Monolith Soft etc. Once they start doing that, there's no need for them to fully rely on FE.

I mean, they did develop games like Super Metroid once...right?

That I agree. I don't even know why that sort of thing even started happening considering how Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures lost a lot of money when developing the first game.

I never insinuated that Pushmo didn't sell well...  as for Advance Wars it actually sold pretty well, it sold better than GBA Fire Emblem games and mind you to target for GBA games was much lower for when they were considered successful, but strategy has always been a niche genre, it is only in recent years that we've started to get more games that aren't Civilization selling large numbers. But Advanced Wars did well enough that IS may consider reviving it one day.

Also Paper Mario has been IS's largest moneymaker until Fire Emblem took off,  even at its lowest sales numbers (Color Splash) it still did decently for platform it was on. 

Also I told agree there's no reason that Fire Emblem will fail at this point I am just totally  committing to the hypothetical situation lol.

We should be seening something new from IS though in the coming year's because Paper Mario team is not working on Paper Mario so I'm guessing they'll have a new IP coming up likely not in the strategy genre.

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

I said localized. Those aren't localized. :/ Also, they're not for Nintendo consoles. I only own Nintendo consoles.

I'd.... wait for FEXNA to come out and play all the based fan games that come from it.

FEXNA is never coming out, but hey, Bloodlines is pretty fun!

In all seriousness, I'd be okay. Kind of sad because I love SPRGs, but there will be others. I'll play lots of fan games. I dropped the Pokemon main series a while ago, but I still play fan games which I find to be more fun.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I said localized. Those aren't localized. :/ Also, they're not for Nintendo consoles. I only own Nintendo consoles.

ME TOO!!!!!!!:):

But seriously though, sorry bout that. I thought you like everyone would have more than one console. In any case, I'm with you here. 

That being said, since the company's bankrupt and gone and considering that there's already a fan-translation, it wouldn't hurt to check it out though...just saying.

1 hour ago, Locke087 said:

Advance Wars it actually sold pretty well, it sold better than GBA Fire Emblem games

Source for this? I tried looking up advance wars sales but they hardly come to 25k...a figure that FE even during GBA easily comes.

but strategy has always been a niche genre

I disagree here. Strategy has been involved and has always had a good market. I think you're implying TRPGs which is the actual niche market...NOT the whole Strategy genre.

Also I told agree there's no reason that Fire Emblem will fail at this point I am just totally  committing to the hypothetical situation lol.

Sorry about that. Didn't notice the post there lol.

We should be seening something new from IS though in the coming year's because Paper Mario team is not working on Paper Mario so I'm guessing they'll have a new IP coming up likely not in the strategy genre

If you ask me, they should make a new Advance Wars game and then do something new after that. I mean Advance Wars was pretty much the father of FE when you consider that FE borrows elements from AW.

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

But seriously though, sorry bout that. I thought you like everyone would have more than one console. In any case, I'm with you here.

Heh, nope, I haven't owned a non-Nintendo console since our PS2 and a PS1 my brother bought me (that sadly didn't want to work. It was used though, not like it was brand new) years ago. My stepdad and younger brother had an XBox or two, but I never wanted to bother with them.

And I'm kind of wary about fan translations. The thing about localization I like is some of the little changes and sometimes censorship they do, like how they removed the stupid petting from Fates and how they changed other things like the Corrin/Soleil support in the same game. Fan translations tend to be direct, with no such changes, and I could run into content that I would find uncomfortable to see/read or maybe even offensive (because that original Corrin/Soleil support was offensive to me).

I would be sad for a few days then I would play every FE I own in a marathon then pray that FE turns out like the Saiyuki anime series and out of left field gets a new game.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

That being said, since the company's bankrupt and gone and considering that there's already a fan-translation, it wouldn't hurt to check it out though...just saying.

Source for this? I tried looking up advance wars sales but they hardly come to 25k...a figure that FE even during GBA easily comes.

I disagree here. Strategy has been involved and has always had a good market. I think you're implying TRPGs which is the actual niche market...NOT the whole Strategy genre.

Sorry about that. Didn't notice the post there lol.

If you ask me, they should make a new Advance Wars game and then do something new after that. I mean Advance Wars was pretty much the father of FE when you consider that FE borrows elements from AW.

That's strange Advance War must have just sold more than FE in the US because it always seemed far more popular over here at least.  Far more people seem to have played and heard of Advanced Wars. In fact I remember in the marketing push when the first XCOM (which launched pre-awakening) was coming out, it was constantly being compared to Advanced Wars despite being more similar to Fire Emblem, and Fire Emblem was never brought up. 

Of course I only meant the turn-based ones my bad for not specifying that because things like StarCraft makes piles and piles and piles of money...

I'd rather the Paper Mario team concentrate on making something new and after FE Switch let the Fire Emblem team take a break and make an Advanced Wars game. Either that or they could assign their 3rd team that did Codename Steam and is likely doing Echoes to make an Advanced Wars game. I do want a new Advanced Wars game but I don't think that's the job for the Paper Mario team, but you never know they might do it.

Edited by Locke087

I'd reminisce about how great the series was, rather than hear people bitch about how shit the series had become. 

Who am I kidding, I'd still be hearing people bitch about Awakening.

Edited by Thran Starcrod

Get sad.

Then go move to a community with hype shit going on all the time. (And maybe less wrong facts)

If we assume that it were to suddenly die right now, as in suddenly Echoes stopped being a thing and IS died, I'd thank the heavens I no longer have to get legitimately annoyed over localisations any more since there'd be no more games to localise. Seriously, Echoes already has me scared, and cross referencing this shit is a nightmare and a half

Actually, if I really think about it, I'd probably not be here. Or at the very least it would've taken me a lot longer to get into FE at all, given my first exposure was the Awakening demo back in the day. Ah memories of a time before suffering

If Fire Emblem died off, I'll be saddened at the loss of yet another beloved IP, (Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Mercenaries, Star Wars Battlefront, Command and Conquer - all dead. Actually, I think all of those games died at the hands of EA...) but still carry on with the community discussing the classics and "modding" the GBA titles.

In this scenario, hopefully some dedicated fans may get together and make an "open source" Fire Emblem engine and fans of the franchise can still play their beloved Fire Emblem, as well as new entries even if they are fan-made. Fan entries may include re-imaginings of the original games, fan expansions to the original titles, or straight up an original title altogether with Fire Emblem mechanics.
- - - - -
This is how Command and Conquer still exists. Multiple dedicated communities exist to the franchise, from OpenRA focusing on the classics to Mental Omega expanding on Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge, while Twisted Insurrection is a "what-if" scenario if the "bad guys" won the first war. Even the shooter spinoff with C&C Renegade lives on with Renegade X. Sure, all combined the number may not reach 5,000 active players, but the franchise lives on in the hearts and works of the dedicated fans.