When do you promote your units?

Jotari

When do you promote your units?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. When do you promote your units?

• As soon as they hit level 10!
    • Somewhere around level 15
    • Wouldn't dream of it before lv 20. Need to cap everything!
    • Hahahaha. Who promotes units? I sell that first chance I get and use prepromotes!

Depends on the game.

On easy games where EXP is abundant (FE1 and 3 being prime examples, with 8 and 9 in the mix too), I promote at Lvl 20.

On games where promoting at 20 has no advantages (Gaiden...), I promote as soon as possible.

On harder games, where promotion bonuses are a much needed asset, like Thracia, where Asvel's bonuses are way too important, I promote whenever I feel the unit is ready.

Notable exceptions include:

People who are really helpful for carrying a weak team when promoted, like Marshall Tauroneo in RD who carries the DB in P-3.
People who can take the effects of insta-promotion, like Gerik and Cormag.

I usually wait to level 20, but there are some instances where I promote a bit earlier. Healers for example get promoted earlier just so they can get a tome in their hands and I might promote at level 15 when i'm feeling impatient.

I get the arguement for promoting early. Promo gains make characters perform much better and they have time to train up a new weapon type. I don't recall ever needing promo gains to come in early so I usually  just wait and level up my unpromoted characters some more. Sure promoting early can be optimal, but i'm not trying to play optimally most of the time.

I'm hesitant to promote early and like to drag it out as far as I can, but if the unit needs its boosts now I'll go for it. Usually around Level 15.

Lv 20, always. No ifs, ands, or buts. Actually, I forgot about some special cases where the cap level is less than 20. But my reaching the cap levels for the purpose of this exercise still applies.

Yes, I always cap my units' levels before promotion. Always was since my first FE experience in Binding Blade, always is in my current Fates Conquest, and - I swear to everyone - it always will be the case for Echoes and other games I will get to in the future. I haven't found any reason why I shouldn't milk all the levels, and I strongly believe that my belief will stay that way.

Edited by henrymidfields