More Speed, or More Defense?

Lord Tullus

Speed or Defense for better stat?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Speed or Defense for better stat?

• Speed
    • Defense
    • An average mix of both
    • It's obviously Luck, you dullards! (I had to)

Which is a more important stat in Fire Emblem Gaiden Specifically?  We all know that speed is universally the best stat in every FE game.  But is it more or less important than defense in Gaiden?

Personally, I'd say that defense is more important.  In Gaiden, the amount of enemies you face at the middle and end of the game are quite strong, and many enemy units can attack almost anyone from multiple angles (Knights, Snipers, wizards, paladins etc can all gang up on you).  Since the minimum damage dealt in gaiden is 1 instead of 0, you would think that defense doesn't matter much.  But consider this:  Would you rather take 2 points of damage from being doubled on enemy phase, or 6 damage from one attack?  While getting doubled is never fun to look at, it's never really an issue in gaiden, assuming you promote and utilize your items.  A majority of your units will have enough speed to double or not get doubled by generic Snipers, Knights, and even the Final Boss!  As for being doubled by magic enemies that swarm you, there are few instances in Gaiden where Magic is an issue.  You have the angel ring, dread fighters, the magic shield, and even the Dragon shield that all make proper defenses against magic that you can give to your knights and low res units.  Of course, high defense and Speed is fantastic, but few units have that advantage.

Celica can be fast, but Valbar takes all the abuse. And last I checked, an average Celica can't handle Geyse 1v1.

What do you guys think?

i think it's pretty dependant on what unit it is.  Mages definately prefer more speed, as the difference in doubling with magic and not doubling is huge.  Defence is also semi fixable with shields, and there's only one speed ring in the game.  I'd give speed the slight edge here, but the gap is smaller than most fe games.

If you have speed, you can dodge more, so it's definitely more important (considering hit rates are shit, it's pretty easy to get good at dodging attacks).

EDIT Valbo handling Geyse?  I'm finding that hard to believe.

Edited by Refa

22 minutes ago, Refa said:

If you have speed, you can dodge more, so it's definitely more important (considering hit rates are shit, it's pretty easy to get good at dodging attacks).

EDIT Valbo handling Geyse?  I'm finding that hard to believe.

Even if you can dodge more, the chances of being hit are still higher with 1 rng.  Plus, I've never found relying on Dodging to be very helpful unless it's less than 20%.

As for Valbo handeling Geese, he can do it no problem if he has either a Lether shield or becomes a barron.  Geyse has a ton of speed and strength, but is the average for dread fighters,  Valbo may not be able to handle geyse completely on his own, but it's more reliable to put Valbo out there to attack him more than someone like Celica or May.

I'm not saying that speed is non-existant in Gaiden, it's pretty darn important.  But Defense has so much more going for it in gaiden than most other FE games.

Dodging is more important than defense unless you have Valbo level defense though (which most people don't).

Oh, he probably could if he became a Baron.  Usually, I have Catria deal with him.

I can't think of any great unit in Gaiden that has really good DEF.  Alm has pretty good def, but even he's in trouble if he gets hit by magic.

2 minutes ago, Refa said:

I can't think of any great unit in Gaiden that has really good DEF.  Alm has pretty good def, but even he's in trouble if he gets hit by magic.

Saber?  Luka? Force? Cliff?  Any Vilager as a knight/Barron can be high with def too.  Mycen? Catria, Est, and even Boey (If trained)  Have pretty good defense, especially when you have shields to help you out.  Speed and dodging is great and all, but you generally have enough speed to make it through the harder maps, assuming you promote your units every now and then.

5 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

Saber?  Luka? Force? Cliff?  Any Vilager as a knight/Barron can be high with def too.  Mycen? Catria, Est, and even Boey (If trained)  Have pretty good defense, especially when you have shields to help you out.  Speed and dodging is great and all, but you generally have enough speed to make it through the harder maps, assuming you promote your units every now and then.

Knights/Barons have good DEF, but I wouldn't call them great units (EDIT Except Luka).  I wouldn't say that any of the other units you've listed have great DEF, though.  Actually quite the opposite, all of the not Knight/Mycen ones you mentioned have fairly mediocre to passable DEF, and are better at surviving thanks to their Spd stats.  I think shields benefit units who don't have great DEF to begin with, like some of the units you mentioned, which ultimately makes the stat less important (considering how easily you can buff it).

Matilda/Camus/Mycen all have good DEF as Gold Knights, so I'll concede that they don't need to depend on dodging (other Gold Knights probably do as well, but it's more of a struggle to get them there, and their defensive parameters aren't particularly amazing until then).  EDIT Clerbe (Cleive?  What the fuck is his name) has good DEF too.

Edited by Refa

Speed is definitely more important in Gaiden. If you aren't getting doubled you take a lot less damage. Speed also allows you to double more and deal twice as much damage. High Defense and High attack can somewhat compensate for your lack of speed however most of the time speed is preferable.

Edited by Valkama

1 minute ago, Valkama said:

Speed is definitely more important in Gaiden. If you aren't getting doubled you take a lot less damage. Speed also allows you to double more and deal twice as much damage.

True, as with any FE game.