How many OCs do you think the game will have and do you think the cast will be female slanted?

The DanMan

How Many OCs do you think the game will have?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How Many OCs do you think the game will have?

2. 2. Do you think the cast will significantly slant towards females?

Anna isn't really a wtf option in my onion. To be honest, the real wtf would her not getting in. In hindsight, I'm almost surprised they didn't show her first. I also wouldn't be surprised if she's the very next character we see.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

In terms of meme-out-of-left-field-crazy characters, the real question is indeed who.

They could include Iago or Gangrel for memes because let's be real, they're pretty meme-y in their own right.

They could add in Anna simply for being a series staple and give her a crazy moveset.

Donnel or Mozu could fit as killagers with absurd playstyles.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt an out of left field character can be grabbed from SD or Mystery.

Honestly, Felicia, Flora or Jakob from Fates could be grabbed as representatives of the crazy.

On an unrelated note, this thread went in a very different direction than I expected. I honestly don't see how people could think Tharja or Cordelia could get in. They're outclassed in their own game in terms of representing certain class archetypes. Tharja's beaten out by Validar, Cordelia gets beaten out in terms of plot relevance by CHERCHE. And Aversa ends up beating both of them. The key is not only popularity, but relevancy to the plot and uniqueness. In terms of fliers across the three games in question, Cordelia's got no hope when matched against Minerva, Michalis, Caeda, Camilla or Hinoka. Tharja's got no hope unless Robin's in and they reveal them as a pair, since she's beaten out by Validar, Iago and the big one, GHARNEF.

The thought process is simple. Popularity is one thing, but uniqueness is just as, if not more important a factor. Tharja's not unique, not in her game and not in the franchise, and the same goes for Cordelia. If they do get in on their own merits and not when tied to another character like Sumia, Henry or Robin, I might explode from shock because that'd be unexpected to an absurd degree.

Being negative about the hype generally isn't something I do often, but this idea that they'll ignore prime meat like Aversa in exchange for Cordelia or Tharja is just silly in my eyes.

Don't try to apply too much logic to character choices for crossover games, period.
Tharja and Cordelia may not be unique in their own game, but we're looking at a roster that will likely be lucky to hit 20 characters; they're popular and could be unique within the roster.

50 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Don't try to apply too much logic to character choices for crossover games, period.
Tharja and Cordelia may not be unique in their own game, but we're looking at a roster that will likely be lucky to hit 20 characters; they're popular and could be unique within the roster.

My main point is simply that out of all the characters that we're assuming are likely, the fact that some immediately default to Cordelia and Tharja is just odd to me.

Out of all the minor characters of the three games featured, they pick Tharja and Cordelia?

If we assume 20 characters, then the roster's easily filled without even needing them. Robin, Lucina, Gangrel etc. are far more likely candidates for Awakening reps, and there wouldn't be a need to give them more space to accommodate one of the two.

I know applying logic to crossovers isn't exactly a good idea, but I can't help but think these picks are not only weird but sacrifice other potential characters.

5 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Recent popular female characters tend to be perceived as "waifus". Tharja, Camilla, etc... . It doesn't extend purely to newer female characters, since popular female characters in the series in general (Lyn and Ninian come to mind) have little substance as characters but still prove popular. I'm not against their inclusion, but if the bulk of the roster is made up of characters like them then yeah, I'd be disappointed.

Most FE characters don't have much substance, it is hardly particular to the female characters. I could list off popular male characters I find lacking in substance but that would risk turning this into something rather tangential.

Referring to characters as "waifus" diminishes the many reasons people may like characters and is applied exclusively to characters of one gender (how often is Leo or Gaius dismissed as a "husbando"? Hardly ever, and then typically in jest), usually as a way to dismiss or belittle their fanbase. It's an extremely problematic practice.

7 hours ago, DaloDask said:

On an unrelated note, this thread went in a very different direction than I expected. I honestly don't see how people could think Tharja or Cordelia could get in. They're outclassed in their own game in terms of representing certain class archetypes. Tharja's beaten out by Validar, Cordelia gets beaten out in terms of plot relevance by CHERCHE. And Aversa ends up beating both of them. The key is not only popularity, but relevancy to the plot and uniqueness. In terms of fliers across the three games in question, Cordelia's got no hope when matched against Minerva, Michalis, Caeda, Camilla or Hinoka. Tharja's got no hope unless Robin's in and they reveal them as a pair, since she's beaten out by Validar, Iago and the big one, GHARNEF.

The thought process is simple. Popularity is one thing, but uniqueness is just as, if not more important a factor. Tharja's not unique, not in her game and not in the franchise, and the same goes for Cordelia. If they do get in on their own merits and not when tied to another character like Sumia, Henry or Robin, I might explode from shock because that'd be unexpected to an absurd degree.

Being negative about the hype generally isn't something I do often, but this idea that they'll ignore prime meat like Aversa in exchange for Cordelia or Tharja is just silly in my eyes.

Gonna say something here: Validar could just make it in as an NPC officer (using unique attacks), which would mean that the playable dark magic user could definitely be Tharja. Honestly, I wouldn't have pegged Tharja as likely if it wasn't for the fact that some playable characters do come in through popularity and/or because they'd be interesting to play as.

And while I do agree that she kinda needs Robin to be in the game to have a chance, Robin is highly likely to get in, not just because he's an FE character that people outside of FE would know about, or because he has appeared in games that wasn't Awakening, but also because he is a prime pick as the strategist character to Chrom's leader character. That, coupled with Tharja's existing popularity (among the fans and the developers) means they can justify putting her in despite her general unimportance.

I'd say Cordelia has less of a chance to make it in, given that Caeda exists as THE Pegasus Knight, but who knows.

Regarding OC count, I'd like to see two OCs, like what they did for Heroes and the persona spinoffs. This way, you can have them interacting with each-other in new ways, while still not taking all the screen time.

As for gender bias in the cast, I don't think there will be a significant majority either way. I think a 60/40 split either way is the most disparity we're going to get, considering FE's consistency with gender even casts (except for my heroes pulls, where ALL 7 of my 5-stars ended up female. 128:1 coincidences FTW!) Although FE is guilty of pandering, there are examples of husbanoes like Chrom, Kaze and Niles in recent games, as well as waifus.

This being said, there are now almost 800 FE units, so I'm fairly sure there will be a lot of salt when your favorite charater doesn't get in!

Edited by The_antithesis

On 4/11/2017 at 0:24 PM, The_antithesis said:

This being said, there are now almost 800 FE units, so I'm fairly sure there will be a lot of salt when your favorite charater doesn't get in!

Yeah this is unquestionably going to happen. Might cause some to not buy the game out of spite as well.

On 4/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, The_antithesis said:

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Yeah this is unquestionably going to happen. Might cause some to not buy the game out of spite as well.

I and others aren't hoping for any specific characters as much as approximately equal representation-- which I'll keep hoping for in at least some capacity.

I'd say that 2, maybe 3 OC (if any) would be reasonable.

As for the rest of the cast, I think that there would easily be more males. And I feel (as much as it would saddens me) like there is no way that someone like Micaiah or Elincia would be in before Tharja or Cordelia.

Edited by Sartek

Given that Hyrule Warriors had a few OCs, I think 4 or more is a good bet.

And yeah, this game will definitely have more females than males, probably way more, as sad as it is. Given how Cia was treated in Hyrule Warriors, and how many players like boobs and such, this could very well be Boob Warriors rather than Fire Emblem Warriors.

I really hope it's not, and this would be a horrible game to me if a lot of characters were more ugly big balloon-boobed women (I thought Cia was ugly and I still think Camilla is ugly too), but still. What they did with Cia in Hyrule Warriors still bothers me and makes me think there will be at least one new Camilla.

Edited by Anacybele

I believe the Oc's might be the same as in heroes. 3 heroes and 1 or 2 villains to explain why characters from different fire emblem games are interacting.

I actually don't think females will outnumber males in this one. There will be a fair amount because the series has many female characters, but compared to males there are fewer important female characters. most lords are males and all main villains are male too. I don't believe Hyrule warriors had so many females because 'waifus', but rather because there just weren't that many males to pick.

My main concern isn't the amount of females, but the selection. Tharja and camilla are basically locked in and I would't be surprised to see Felicia make it in as a maid fanservice character. Aside from Lucina I don't think many of the non fanservice females will be a big priority.

Edited by Sasori

We really need better terminology for this sort of discussion because I just don't follow. Fanservice complaints in a Warriors crossover game, is that not the focus? And why so much contention about the females? Will nobody debate the inclusion of blue haired swordie lords? I like Marth, Ike, Seliph, Alm, Roy, and Chrom individually, but I find it a considerable waste to make them all playable due to "importance to the story" alone. I wouldn't care after trying out the second or third.

32 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Tharja and camilla are basically locked in and I would't be surprised to see Felicia make it in as a maid fanservice character. 

Felicia is about the best idea I've heard. Distinctive attire, unique weapon type, established Ice affinity when that's a core gameplay mechanic. You couldn't set up better dominos than that for this sort of game.

Edited by Gustavos

I'm thinking 4, maybe 5. HW had 4 and Heroes has 4 (with a 5th mentioned, 6 if you count the basically nonexistant avatar). It's a nice round number.

I could see a female slant, but for this go around I really think it will be mostly men just because they're probably going to draw from the Lord & legendary weapon pool first and most of those are men.

Though, it'd be kind of funny if they wound up just reusing Heroes' set up for this. Just reuse Veronica, ~mysterious knight~ & probably bruno alongside Shareena & Alfonse.

On 10/04/2017 at 10:43 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Tell me you're trying to bullshit me. Please... Because to be frank, I wouldn't give Tharja or Cordelia a snowball's chance in Hell of making it in.

Whilst I really dislike Tharja, she's unfortunately the most iconic dark mage at this point. If they include a dark mage, it will almost certainly be her. At least it might give me hope for a light mage to counterbalance though with Micaiah. 

Edit: On the other hand, I don't see Cordelia making it. Whilst she is the most popular pegasus knight, she doesn't really seem as iconic to the pegasus knight class compared to other pegasus knights. This may be due to being overshadowed by Sumia who takes a more significant role in Awakening (who I also don't see appearing), but compared to the Whitewing sisters and Caeda, I'm much more speculative.

Tharja only has to compete with other dark mages/shamans for a slot. With that, the only ones who are remotely popular are Henry and Sophia (ignoring Fates due to likely oversaturation).

I think to put it in perspective, if we had to have a manekete representative, I think most of us would agree it'd probably be Tiki, despite Nowi being more popular to the Awakening fanbase, simply due to Tiki's iconic nature to both the franchise and her multiple appearances in various games at this point.

Edited by SlipperySlippy

I expect it to be like Heroes: there's a couple of new protagonists and a couple of new antagonists that call upon fabled heroes to help them win the war.

As for the gender balance, I'd think it'd be closer to equal. The reason Hyrule Warriors had some many female characters is because the Legend of Zelda generally focuses more so on female side characters than males in the first place. They like having these NPCs have unrequited feelings for Link.

If you look at the actual DW/SW series, there's a lot more males than female characters. DW8 had like 16 female characters out of a class close to 80 IIRC, so it's not like KT is female-happy. I do expect more female characters that were irrelevant to the plot of their respective game to be more widely playable than male characters irrelevant to the plot though.

Hmn, if the 'leak' about two warring kingdoms is true, I'd actually put it at about 4-5 OC characters, not counting any entries from Heroes (to be honest, I could see the Heroes characters being brought in as post-release DLC); at least enough to cover the Weapon Triangle, plus a magic user and an archer/ranged weapon type. Let's put it at about the same as Heroes; two good, two bad, one 'other' that may or may not be integral to the plot... SPeaking on that, if this is their way to legitimize Breidablik into the series, I'd be pretty okay with that.

It's going to favor females and males that have any sort of major following; Niles is a pretty solid bet I'd say, same with any guys that might have scored high on any of the polls. As for who will get majority, It depends on how they end up implementing the character/moveset rosters...

On 4/18/2017 at 11:23 PM, Dandy Druid said:

I expect it to be like Heroes: there's a couple of new protagonists and a couple of new antagonists that call upon fabled heroes to help them win the war.

As for the gender balance, I'd think it'd be closer to equal. The reason Hyrule Warriors had some many female characters is because the Legend of Zelda generally focuses more so on female side characters than males in the first place. They like having these NPCs have unrequited feelings for Link.

If you look at the actual DW/SW series, there's a lot more males than female characters. DW8 had like 16 female characters out of a class close to 80 IIRC, so it's not like KT is female-happy. I do expect more female characters that were irrelevant to the plot of their respective game to be more widely playable than male characters irrelevant to the plot though.

Hoh, time to be petty I guess...

Impa - a character since Zelda 2 that has NEVER shown feelings for Link

Agitha - a young girl that's too wrapped up in her own world to think about Link as more than 'the bug chauffeur'.

Fi - a servant of the Goddesses that at MOST sees Link as a partner by the end of their game.

Linkle - A stupid entry meant to appease nutters A farm girl that's too wrapped up in her own raving delusions quest to be the Legendary Hero to even know who Link is.

Tetra - At most shows a camaraderie towards Link.

Medli - more focused on her roles as Valoo's attendant/Earth Sage and never shows any feelings for Link

So that leaves Zelda, two OCs (that really count more as a single person), Ruto, Midna (both forms, one character), Toon Zelda, and MAYBE Marin (Sheik doesn't count due to only being a disguise) that have feelings for Link. Unlike what Breath of the Wild (hilariously) entails, not every character, female or otherwise, is looking to jump Link's bones or pining for his Master Sword, unless you start trying to apply fan theories or wild assumptions...

If its like usual Warriors fashion one of the OCs will be a custom CaC mechanic (HW obviously didn't need it because Link) but a series that has an establish Avatar system I can see it plus choosing your class.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I'm conflicted on OCs. Hyrule Warriors had some, but it kinda needed them to fill niches in the story it was telling, that it couldn't just fill with existing characters. Fire Emblem doesn't quite have that same issue since it's got such an absurdly huge cast of viable characters, enough to fill pretty much any role. On the other hand, I can see them throwing in some OCs anyway just for the heck of it.

As for gender ratio, I wouldn't expect a huge disparity; 60%/40% in either direction at worst.

As for Tharja, I hate her with every fiber of my being but I'd be incredibly shocked if she didn't get in (overjoyed, but shocked). She's incredibly popular in the fandom for reasons I can't understand, and KT love busty female characters they can sexualize (which is why Camilla is also pretty much guaranteed).

OCs, I'm saying 3. A boy and a girl, and a female villain. Would actually love it if the playable OCs are customizable with FE themed outfits and weapons.

As far as slanting, I think they will, but not "significantly". I think IS is aware that FE has gained a lot of female fans in the last few years, and I don't think they'll let the game be waifu-palooza.

I think people forget sometimes, but KT just enjoys sex-appeal. Of course its a little more apparent on female characters, but they sex up pretty much any character under the age of 40.

Anyways, I'm still more concerned with different games/eras getting proper representation than I am with what gender ends up being the majority.

I am an FE fan first, and a shameless waifu-lover second.

3 hours ago, Cornguy said:

Anyways, I'm still more concerned with different games/eras getting proper representation than I am with what gender ends up being the majority.

I only see reps from the three/six games featured in the initial trailer getting in the base game. I'd love it if there were more, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

So to be honest, this discussion is not exactly the worst one to be having given what we know and data from Hyrule Warriors, we can assume who's getting in from these games rather than wracking our brains to try and argue for the inclusion of characters from upwards of ten installments.

In other words, your concern is warranted and probably will come true until DLC hits. (But once it does, ho-boy)

On 4/10/2017 at 5:53 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

As a heads up, never forget Koei Tecmo's use of the WTF factor. 

And by that, I mean Agitha and Bao Sanniang. Two girls who nobody never asked for, but KT said "why not?" and thus threw them in.

Any bets on if FEW will have one? And if so, who?

I dunno who the latter is, but I'd assume that TP's most notable side quest being centered around Agitha might've had a hand in her getting in. Anyways, going back to HW, I agree with the stuff that said that the females stood out more (in fact, most of the females in said game helped out Link in their original games).

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I dunno who the latter is, but I'd assume that TP's most notable side quest being centered around Agitha might've had a hand in her getting in. Anyways, going back to HW, I agree with the stuff that said that the females stood out more (in fact, most of the females in said game helped out Link in their original games).

Agitha got in purely because she was the favorite character of one of the developers.

So we could see a relatively obscure or unpopular pick here, too. For all we know, the lead developer's favorite character is Glade from Thracia 776.