How many OCs do you think the game will have and do you think the cast will be female slanted?

The DanMan

How Many OCs do you think the game will have?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How Many OCs do you think the game will have?

2. 2. Do you think the cast will significantly slant towards females?

So, I was bored yesterday (or really, just plain fatigued-- shoveling mulch all morning and then working front end all afternoon will do that to you), and I ended up wiki-hopping through various NIWA (Nintendo Independent Wiki Association) wikis. The end results was me binge-reading through the Dragon Quest wiki. This ended up leading me to the Dragon Quest Heroes page, where I decided to look at the roster for the heck of it. And something really struck me: there were four OCs. In a cast of 13 characters, nearly 1/3 of them were OCs. Looking at Heroes II, it also has 4 OCs.

This has made me begin to wonder-- how many new characters will FEWarriors have? I'd personally be all for a minimal amount, as I think anything more than 2 starts choking out the roster (especially since we're realistically looking at fewer than 20 characters in the base game).

There was also another trend I saw: the majority of the cast in I was female. Granted, 7/13 is as slim a majority as you can get, but on top of Hyrule Warriors I felt it was a question worth asking. Granted, DQ has some similarities with LoZ in that the main hero is traditionally male and silent, with female characters being more notable. With the very real possibility of waifu (ugh, how I hate that term) pandering happening to FEWarriors, I felt it was also worth putting the poll. As you can probably infer, I hope not, but I'm also way too cynical with these things.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna predict now we'll have one OC at minimum because not doing one in my opinion would be lazy.

As for gender balance, it's unquestionably going to be females>males, though I don't think the gender balance will be too bad since we've basically confirmed 4 male characters (Chrom, Ryoma, Xander, and Marth) and there are many more important males in the series so if the count for each gender isn't at least close, it'll be surprising. Unless as you mentioned, this becomes Pander Emblem Warriors for some reason.

Hyrule Warriors had four OCs. I'm predicting the same for FEW.

I'm also expecting Females > Males. You don't give KT a franchise with lots of pretty women and expect them to use more men.

I'm thinking as many as 3 OCs for the same reason that Heroes did 3 OCs. Enough characters to represent the weapon triangle. Granted, we have no confirmation that the weapon triangle is a mechanic. And if it was, I doubt it would be as important to master as in Heroes, even if you've got a party of characters to switch between for each map in order to meet class/weapons specific obstacles.

As for gender disparity, ah, that's hard to say. Besides the first game, Fire Emblem has been consistent in giving you about 50/50 male/female casts. But protagonists are overwhelmingly male. From HW, I get that they seem to prioritize unique-ness between characters in terms of playstyle and visuals. So I don't think they'll make every blue haired swordie lord with a cape playable. Some lords don't have this identity crisis, like Corrin who's a walking weapon with shapeshifting limbs, an awesome sword, and becoming a full dragon for combo finishers. One or two characters to represent each class seems more viable, and that's where we'll see non-lord representation - and the bulk of female characters. The cute mage, the stunning fliers, the shapely myrmidon, the spritely clerric, the dragon girl, and the quiet dancer. In fact, I voted yes to this question but wish I could change it to no. I'm envisioning a fair balance here.

Edit: Oh, you can change your answer. Didn't know that was a feature.

Edited by Gustavos

I say about two OCs as a minimum, counting for the main hero and main antagonist. I probably should have said more as the main antagonist will probably have one or two lackeys that hound down the party throughout the game.

I put "no" for the second question, but I honestly think the roster will be about even. FE isn't like SW/DW where they have to take creative liberties with the women to make them into playable officers. 

29 minutes ago, Jave said:

Hyrule Warriors had four OCs. I'm predicting the same for FEW.

I'm also expecting Females > Males. You don't give KT a franchise with lots of pretty women and expect them to use more men.

Dragon Quest Heroes also had 4, they balanced it with 2 males and 2 females however.

I'm going to wager between 3 and 5 OC's, depending on what the plot needs (as well as what you define as an 'OC'.) It would be really lame and lazy to not have a plot and it seems really unlikely that there won't be at least an OC villain.

As for boy/girl representation, while we really can't confirm the majority of the cast, the lords are VERY likely, and also male-tilted. While Lucina is almost a certainty and Lyn, Eirika, and Camilla are extremely likely (I'm only holding off on the latter due to being a malig knight and not sure how they'll handle mounted mechanics), they'll be up against Marth, Ike, and Roy at the very least with Chrom, Eliwood, Ephriam, and Hector almost certain as well. Beyond that, sadly, it's pretty much speculation. Also there is absolutely no way to gauge the power-level ATM so if the girls are better than the boys is unknown.

I think there will be two original characters for each side at least if not three, and I think it will be balanced in terms of female and male units.  They might put a few more woman then men, but I think it will be very close.

1 hour ago, Hardin said:

Interesting how when the roster is mostly women it's pandering, but if it's mostly men it's just business as usual. 

The majority of gamers are males (not quite a commanding majority as it used to be, but still)-- and Koei and IS have gained reputations for female fanservice. I don't particularly like fanservice period, but looking at DW and SW the ratio of obviously sexualized characters per gender is highly slanted towards the female camp.
The worry is that despite the amount and variety of notable characters, the devs will elect to focus on females due to the "weeb" camp (I wish I had a better, more descriptive term, but the only real alternative is "waifufag", so... yeah) being the most vocal and profitable one. You yourself claim to have a source locking the cast in as Archanea + Awakening + Fates; seeing a cast made up more of OCs and waifus (as in, female characters from Awakening/Fates) than anything else would be a rather poor scenario for some.

22 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I think we'll get a Warriors version of an FE avatar So actual customization as one of these OC's.

I figured an Avatar (with minimal customization) and a new villain would be included, but I totally forgot HW also had 4 OCs.

1 hour ago, saisymbolic said:

I say about two OCs as a minimum, counting for the main hero and main antagonist. I probably should have said more as the main antagonist will probably have one or two lackeys that hound down the party throughout the game.

I put "no" for the second question, but I honestly think the roster will be about even. FE isn't like SW/DW where they have to take creative liberties with the women to make them into playable officers. 

I don't see any real reason for them to create too many new characters-- LoZ has one commanding villain throughout the whole franchise (Ganon), with the second most prolific antagonist being completely glossed over (Vaati). They could just as easily pluck a couple actual FE villains in as the main antagonist's subordinates-- there's enough variety there to fit several character archetypes and niches.

In my head I have this comical mental image of the villains of FE being like the Legion of Doom. With a few of them wondering why they are tolerating some of the others.

Nergal: "I desire quintessence"
Ashnard "The strong shall rule!"
Alvis "You both are rather one note..." 

19 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The majority of gamers are males (not quite a commanding majority as it used to be, but still)-- and Koei and IS have gained reputations for female fanservice. I don't particularly like fanservice period, but looking at DW and SW the ratio of obviously sexualized characters per gender is highly slanted towards the female camp.
The worry is that despite the amount and variety of notable characters, the devs will elect to focus on females due to the "weeb" camp (I wish I had a better, more descriptive term, but the only real alternative is "waifufag", so... yeah) being the most vocal and profitable one. You yourself claim to have a source locking the cast in as Archanea + Awakening + Fates; seeing a cast made up more of OCs and waifus (as in, female characters from Awakening/Fates) than anything else would be a rather poor scenario for some.

So what? People have also been "weebs" about FE characters since day 1, just being the kind of game FE is attracts those kinds of people. The notion that the game having 50% or more female characters is a bad thing, is a very problematic attitude IMO. Yes, some characters are sexualized to the extreme, but the answer to that isn't reducing the number of women in the game. 

6 hours ago, Gustavos said:

As for gender disparity, ah, that's hard to say. Besides the first game, Fire Emblem has been consistent in giving you about 50/50 male/female casts.

I don't know about that - Awakening and Fates are the only games where the male/female ratio was close to 50/50, off the top of my head.

6 hours ago, Hardin said:

Interesting how when the roster is mostly women it's pandering, but if it's mostly men it's just business as usual. 

Um... who says it has to be mostly men or mostly women? A balanced amount of female/male characters is considered business as usual. Also, for almost every video game with multiple playable characters that I can think of off the top of my head, the roster is usually quite balanced, and Fire Emblem is no exception. So, in the case of a game like Fire Emblem Warriors, a greater number of female characters than males could be interpreted as pandering, especially if it is.

I know I am about to sound like Schologladitoria for a moment, but, as with anything else, context has to be considered when it comes to any gender disparity within a character roster. In the case of # of men > # of women, often (I'm not saying always; I'm just saying often) there is a good reason for it that has nothing to do with gender bias (unless it has to do with gender bias within the fictional setting). Also, while it is not always the case, there are examples of games with a #of females > #of males character option that is due almost entirely to pandering.

2 hours ago, Hardin said:

So what? People have also been "weebs" about FE characters since day 1, just being the kind of game FE is attracts those kinds of people. The notion that the game having 50% or more female characters is a bad thing, is a very problematic attitude IMO. Yes, some characters are sexualized to the extreme, but the answer to that isn't reducing the number of women in the game. 

It's not that a game having >50% female characters is a bad thing. It's that the reason for it being there better not be pandering, but, in this case, if that happens, it likely will be due to pandering and not because they thought, "These characters would be perfect for this game." Furthermore, FE is not a game that, since day 1, has been the kind of game that "attracts those kinds of people." I would argue that that "is a very problematic attitude IMO."

Also, first your complaint was, "Interesting how when the roster is mostly women it's pandering" and then your second response says "The notion that the game having 50% or more female characters is a bad thing, is a very problematic attitude IMO." First of all, no one on this board has made the generalization that a mostly female or 50+% female roster is always pandering or that the same applied to males is "business as usual". Second, first you say mostly women, then you say 50% or more. 50% female/male is balanced, and everyone on this thread has said that would be a good thing.

In short, no one is saying anything other than majority male = bad. Some are saying majority female would likely be due to pandering which would be bad.

2 hours ago, Hardin said:

Yes, some characters are sexualized to the extreme, but the answer to that isn't reducing the number of women in the game. 

This is the part where I agree with you. Reducing # of females would not be the solution. However, no one has suggested that, in the event of pandering causing majority females, the number of females should be reduced. People are just saying that the cast should not be selected because of waifus. Honestly, I think a large amount of the argument here has been due to misunderstanding and taking things out of context.

On a more cheery note, I think there will definitely be three or four OCs, but, with the Fire Emblem series roster being so much larger than that of most series', they should focus on including enough FE characters from across the series that everyone can pick a character they like. As for the cast, honestly, as I and others have already said, FE is usually very balanced regarding # of males and females, so I would be surprised if it wasn't the same in this case. So no, I do not think the cast will be predominantly female; I think it will be very close to 50/50.

6 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't know about that - Awakening and Fates are the only games where the male/female ratio was close to 50/50, off the top of my head.

PoR and RD were pretty close to 50/50, as was Shadow Dragon despite all the villains in SD being guys.

Edited by vanguard333

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

PoR and RD were pretty close to 50/50, as was Shadow Dragon despite all the villains in SD being guys.

I was thinking playable character wise - I'd probably get a headache trying to factor in villains, too.

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I was thinking playable character wise - I'd probably get a headache trying to factor in villains, too.

Playable-character wise, those three arguably are more 50/50. Ogma and his mercenaries are balanced by Minerva and her Whitewings, in terms of # of mages in the game Merric is balanced by Linde, Marth is balanced by Caeda in terms of characters with an anti-cavalry & armour weapon.

20 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Playable-character wise, those three arguably are more 50/50. Ogma and his mercenaries are balanced by Minerva and her Whitewings, in terms of # of mages in the game Merric is balanced by Linde, Marth is balanced by Caeda in terms of characters with an anti-cavalry & armour weapon.

I call bullshit here - Path of Radiance is not even close to 50/50 (32 males vs 14 females). Radiant Dawn is only slightly less slanted in favor of men (48 vs 25, including the two second run only characters). Shadow Dragon's even more heavily male slanted than either (45 vs 14).

Okay, I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I was relying solely on memory and did not actually count. Perhaps, instead of saying b-------, just point out that I was wrong?

Edited by vanguard333

In terms of actual numbers, I don't expect it to be female slanted, in fact I kind of expect it to be male-slanted simply based on how many important male characters are in the 3/5 games featured prominently.

I can reason out how they'd try to get a more fifty-fifty split by adding in say Aversa, Camilla, Hinoka, Minerva etc.

And if they have Robin and Corrin in they'd likely have one be male and one be female or throw a curveball and have both versions of each playable.

I expect 4 OCs simply going off of HW's roster, although I think 2's a pretty good number, I expect 4 because tbh there are a few niches that could be filled by them (Beast classes being likely if they don't go for a big roster size, or a bit of light magic that's sorely lacking in the games featured.)

This is all assuming the roster size is gonna be small though. And to be honest, they could throw us for a loop and have a cast the size of HW AFTER DLC and Legends is factored in, which ends up being ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Okay, I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I was relying solely on memory and did not actually count. Perhaps, instead of saying b-------, just point out that I was wrong?

I suppose I could've done that, yes.

Anyways, I personally doubt that FE Warriors' roster is going to be female dominated - FE doesn't have Zelda's excuse of having most of the more pivotal characters being female. Outside of Lyn, Eirika, Celica, Micaiah, and Lucina, which females would most people even give a seni-decent shot at getting in??

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

3 or less OCs

I believe it'll be male > female, but the females will likely leave the lasting impression in the usual KT way... understanders will understand.

I also just simply don't see a shared number of each gender happening. Anecdotal, you understand. This however does not mean I discredit the possibility, however slim.

At least 2-3 with one obviously a "waifu" I wouldn't be shocked if 1 of them is a customizable Avatar with a class option to make our own Warrior this is Koei Techmo OF COURSE Females will obviously make up most the roster with decent males they have PLENTY of girls they can pick from DLC if needed! 

ie:

Lucina

Caeda

Tiki

Camilla

Lyn

Female Corrin

Tharja

Cordelia

Celica

Micaiah

Eirika

The list obviously continues

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

15 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

At least 2-3 with one obviously a "waifu" I wouldn't be shocked if 1 of them is a customizable Avatar with a class option this is Koei Techmo OF COURSE Females will obviously make up most the roster with decent males they have PLENTY of girls they can pick from DLC if needed! 

ie:

Lucina

Caeda

Camilla

Lyn

Female Corrin

Tharja

Cordelia

Celica

Micaiah

Eirika

The list obviously continues

Tell me you're trying to bullshit me. Please... Because to be frank, I wouldn't give Tharja or Cordelia a snowball's chance in Hell of making it in.