Would you fix the Voting Gauntlet? If so, how?

Now, with all the steam that has left my body, I figure I would make another topic. After scouring the forum, I have seen a lot of complaints about how the Voting Gauntlet system works and was wondering what the people of Serenes would do to improve it. Mostly centered around the inclusion of FE's most popular characters. Despite, me personally not enjoying these characters being in the Gauntlet, I feel outright excluding them isn't the right thing to do. If anyone could venture an idea down below to help that would be great!

Edited by 1japanfan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it'd be nice if there wasn't one token hyper popular character in the contest each time. Most people could have told you that Lucina and Camilla were going to win their respective gauntlets the moment the contestants were announced. If the winner is preordained, the entire idea of a contest feels a bit pointless. It's supposed to be a struggle for victory, but both of these gauntlets have been an effortless curb-stomp battle for their winners. Super disappointing.

Pretty much what Taxon said. Otherwise, I'm fine with the way things are. I just wish we had a bit more control over the units we get to use in battle. Too much chance for a bad matchup. You could easily end up with two or three greens against a trio made up of mostly reds and have no way to counter them. Instead your only sure way to win is to cheese it by using a lv. 1 unit to rig the enemies into being weak themselves and that's just not fun.

Make it so that the heroes featured in the gauntlet have similar popularity based on the Choose Your Legends poll so that there wouldn't be blatantly obvious winners and more close matches. The inherent problem with the 2 voting gauntlets we have so far is that there is a blatantly obvious fan favorite hero that a player can support (Lucina for the March one and Camilla for this month's) and basically win by default -- there's basically no popularity contest whatsoever as that's been determined long before the contest started.

They could also make it so that players who actually own the Hero and use him/her in the gauntlet earn bonus Feathers along with bonus points, to give those players greater incentive to join that team and use the team's hero (like a loyalty 500-2000 feather bonus reward). It can also up orb sales during the gauntlet. Right now, there are players who just join the obvious winning team just to easily be guaranteed at least 1500 feathers (500 per army win). Players who supported the team that lost could have gotten a consolation prize (ie. 250 feathers in addition to the army contribution reward and loyalty feather bonus).

Edited by Roflolxp54

I think everyone else has said what I was going to say. Rather, I want to point my direction towards milestones. I think they should either, A) add more milestones. Or B), make the milestones more difficult to achieve. It's more than obvious that we broke this milestone, mainly because Camilla alone got 10 billion points in one round. Twice. And I think this has to do with refresh able voting gauntlet quests. However, I do like the idea of refreshing flag quests and that should be kept.

Or perhaps in the event that a voting gauntlet features a blatantly obvious fan favorite character, an "underdog" bonus can be applied to the team that's facing against the fan favorite team. The underdog bonus can award a bonus points modifier that can increase based on the number of players supporting the team (like a, let's say, 1.5x bonus if 50,000 players are supporting the underdog team).

How fantastic would it be if a team could score defensive points like in the arena? That would turn the gauntlet from a devotion/popularity contest into a more strategic team event. This can help underdogs since while may not have as many people winning for them, they may have a fairly large number of people losing to them, making the odds a little more even.

Just now, Roflolxp54 said:

Or perhaps in the event that a voting gauntlet features a blatantly obvious fan favorite character, an "underdog" bonus can be applied to the team that's facing against the fan favorite team. The underdog bonus can award a bonus points modifier that can increase based on the number of players supporting the team (like a, let's say, 1.5x bonus if 50,000 players are supporting the underdog team).

I like that idea. Give a little boost to the less popular characters. 

On the flipside, the fan favorite team could have a points penalty that can only be removed in points calculation if the player in that team uses the team's featured Hero (ie. if Camilla is the fan favorite team, any player on that team would earn 10% fewer points unless the player uses Camilla in the gauntlet; if they use anybody else besides the Camilla that matches the team, they would only earn 90% of the score) in order to discourage bandwagon leechers. It also allows supporting players who own the hero to achieve higher ranks within the army and in total score.

Edited by Roflolxp54

You know, there is a feather advantage to going with the less popular characters in the form of rank in army bonuses. I easily got in the top 2,000 of Beruka's army with basically only the achievement flags. While I didn't get the win bonus, I got much higher rank rewards because the army was so much smaller.

I don't mind the core format idea and I don't mind that some character is gonna be more popular. That's kinda the nature of things. It probably helps that I like both Lucina and Camilla, but I'll be saying the same thing even when say Ike wins a future gauntlet (who I don't particularly care for). If you pick 8 characters who fit a theme, chances are some are gonna be clearly more popular than others, and hardcore fans will be able to predict who in advance.

The biggest thing I'd want to change is that individual maps during the voting gauntlet at the moment are kinda pointless. You get no Exp and no SP from them and there's no penalty to losing units so they're nothing more than a ceremonial waste of time where you collect your win and add some flags. It's cool to play with your friends' units but that's about it.

The big thing I would do is change the feather reward so instead of getting feathers for battling constantly, you get a smaller amount just for choosing a team. It wouldn't penalize people who chose weaker or more popular characters, and it would help those who were in a bad matchup. For example, my first battle was with Chere (sp?). When I saw the points and tried to fight, I couldn't win any of the battles. I concluded that it wasn't worth fighting, and thus lost a chance at feathers. The same thing happened in the final round with Camilla, although that time I didn't even try to fight (obvious result).

As it is, the gauntlet loses a lot of its appeal by punishing people who pick less popular characters or get a weaker team...

For those who proposed lowering the amount of feathers that a fan-favourite team can win, how do you even determine the fan-favourite team before the Gauntlet starts? I feel that the only reason Camilla seemed to be the obvious favourite to win this tournament was because 2 variants of her have been released (even though only 1 can be used, but some seemed to not have realized that) and thus more people have the Camilla.

On the rankings, Cordelia seemed to be on par with Camilla. Why did she do so poorly in the Gauntlet? Does this mean that even if we put in characters of similar popularity into the Gauntlet, an overwhelming victor will emerge no matter what?

I've made some of these elsewhere, but I'll reiterate them here:

-As others have said, make sure that characters in the contest are more evenly matched in popularity.

-Remove the feather bonus for being on the winning team. All this does is create an incentive for players to join whatever team they think will win.
And yes, I'm aware that joining a losing team may actually net more feathers due to having an easier time ranking. In my experience, that doesn't seem to matter, and people only seem to care about the 1,500 "winning" feathers. Couldn't tell you why, but that's what I've seen.

-Give some way of picking your allies/opponents rather than having it be entirely random. Let us pick who from our friends list we want to bring into battles with us. Have an enemy team selector like in the arena. Makes it harder to be screwed into an unwinnable matchup.

26 minutes ago, GespenstMK2S said:

For those who proposed lowering the amount of feathers that a fan-favourite team can win, how do you even determine the fan-favourite team before the Gauntlet starts? I feel that the only reason Camilla seemed to be the obvious favourite to win this tournament was because 2 variants of her have been released (even though only 1 can be used, but some seemed to not have realized that) and thus more people have the Camilla.

On the rankings, Cordelia seemed to be on par with Camilla. Why did she do so poorly in the Gauntlet? Does this mean that even if we put in characters of similar popularity into the Gauntlet, an overwhelming victor will emerge no matter what?

Some players may have joined Camilla's team regardless of whether or not they have her in their rosters.

You can blame the Internet for Camilla's popularity. Also, sex sells; a possible reason that a lot of fans bought Conquest first out of the available versions of FE Fates is for Camilla.

While Camilla and Cordelia may be close in ranking in the female category, the difference in the number of votes between the 2 may suggest otherwise. There's also the overall rank (both males and females) to consider.

The previous gauntlet and this gauntlet pretty much have no-brainer winners; Lucina and Camilla are extremely popular in the fanbase.

31 minutes ago, GespenstMK2S said:

There was already the CYL poll before the game came out. Rankings wise Cordelia was 14th while Camilla was 7th. However, Cordelia only had 56% as many votes as Camilla. Hinoka is the only other flier to break the top 50 at rank 44. 

In the case of Chrom and Ephraim, they were ranked 8th and 13th respectively. Slightly better odds as Ephraim had 63% of the votes that Chrom got. However, Ephraim managed to snag a close win during the voting gauntlet. But this was probably due to the Awakening fanbase splitting up and most of them siding with Lucina. Also Ephraim had a banner prior to the gauntlet and has WTA. 

With the exception on Chrom and Ephraim, every other battle had followed the CYL rankings pretty closely. 

51 minutes ago, GespenstMK2S said:

I'm not sure that Cordelia being on par with Camilla in terms of popularity is totally accurate. In the Choose Your Heroes poll Camilla scored 25,766 votes while Cordelia scored 14,362 votes. That's quite a large gap. I don't think Camilla's success in this gauntlet is the result of some weird misunderstanding within the playerbase, she simply has a much larger fanbase than Cordelia does. Point being, it's totally possible to predict who the fan favorites are beforehand, at least when it comes to the popularity juggernauts like Camilla, Lucina, Lyn, Ike etc.

I feel like if Hinoka were on the opposite side, she'd be in the finals, and that would have created a pretty cool Nohr vs. Hoshido gauntlet at the end. But yeah, they really need to consider character prominence among the eight contestants. And that can prove pretty easy if they just use the damned character poll data. As it is, I would have replaced Camilla with Michalis and Hinoka with Florina. It sucks, but disqualifying the likes of Camilla, Lucina, Ike, etc. That may be necessary, since I even think doing a lords only gauntlet would end up with skewed results like the first one.

@Gustavos, the problem with Michalis (and Narcian too) is that he's grand hero battle exclusive. If you didn't get him then, you can't get him anymore (until they readd him in some way).

All other characters are pullable by spending orbs.

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

@Gustavos, the problem with Michalis (and Narcian too) is that he's grand hero battle exclusive. If you didn't get him then, you can't get him anymore (until they readd him in some way).

All other characters are pullable by spending orbs.

I was about to ask why it's important to support heroes that you own, until I looked it up. I'm super behind on this game's mechanics. 

Thinking on it, is there another wyvern rider? Since GHB units are disqualified and we don't want Camilla, I can't think of a fourth that's in the game right now.

I agree with most of what has been said.

I think:

• Increase total amount of votes needed to get grand prize, from 10bil to 20bil. Camilla alone has managed to get 20bil points. Almost 25bil in round 3.
  • Increase the number of milestones, and/or make said milestone prizes stackable (for the f2p)
  • Instead of the above, increase the time between battles from 30min to an hour. 

As for characters, there's no real way to "handicap" the more popular characters. That would be unfair. If anything, I just hope Nintendo realizes and keeps track of the winners, and find a way to even things out. 

My thoughts lead me to believe that making more evened-out gauntlets in the first place would help.

Spoiler
  • Fates Retainer Gauntlet
  • Healers (Original 8)
  • All guys gauntlet as soon as a female hero joins, she wins....
  • Magic Mayhem (8 tome users... like Leo, Merric, Sophia, Henry, M!Robin, Lilina, Nino and Odin... Tharja and Linde would probably dominate the ring)
  • Grand hero battle gauntlet (after 8 GHB, of course)
  • Archers (sorry ignore this idea Takumi would just make his way to the top with ease)
  • Maybe after story mode is complete, Heroes characters (so Alphonse, Sharena, Anna, Veronica.... if we can get to eight characters, that is. I guess Virion, Matthew and Raigh could join too.)
  • Dragons 
  • Cavalry (Frederick, Sully, Stahl, Cecilia, Abel, Peri, Cain, and Gunter/or Jagen) 
  • Cavalry 2.0 (Xander, Leo, Eliwood, Elise, etc.)
  • Lolis (Nino, Sakura, Lissa, Elise, Maria, Florina, Tiki(Y), Gordin (loli as the guys get in Heroes XD)'
  • Enigmas (Azura, F!Robin, M!Robin, Selena, Laslow, Odin, etc. (couldn't think of anyone else lol))

I tried. Lol

Some of these things might help:

1. Do not publish standings when a round is ongoing.
  2. Do not publish scores until after the event ends.
  3. Decrease the value of flags as the round nears its end.

The idea is to reward genuine supporters, and to penalize those who wait a few hours in order to be sure to join the army of the winner.

32 minutes ago, chirp said:

Some of these things might help:

1. Do not publish standings when a round is ongoing.
  2. Do not publish scores until after the event ends.
  3. Decrease the value of flags as the round nears its end.

The idea is to reward genuine supporters, and to penalize those who wait a few hours in order to be sure to join the army of the winner.

I can get behind this. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS had a similar problem in Conquest events before it got patched.

Edited by Roflolxp54