Underrated/Overlooked Fire Emblem Characters?

TheZakkAttack

On 2017-8-11 at 7:12 PM, Tamanoir said:

I wasn't talking only about stats for Sophia and Nino. Sophia is pretty much inferior statwise than Rei, but she's more popular, (or at least she was at the time.).

It's kinda similar with Erk and Nino. I have huge bias towards Nino and against Erk, but I have to admit the situation is pretty similar (Erk is slightly worse than Rei and Nino slightly better, but it's roughly equal honnestly.)
If you don't use Erk outside of Lyn's mode, he should still have roughly the same stats as Base Nino (Lv10 Erk vs Lv 5 Nino, using averages.)

Doesn't Isadora's Con hinder her speed ? I admit I never really used her.

Erk is quite a bit better than Rei in context to their own games. Put it this way, Rei has only 1 more AS 11 levels higher with a lot less availability... in a game with faster enemies. Perhaps the statement is accurate with Lugh instead.

On that note, Isadora rarely has to care about AS loss because of how slow a lot of FE7 enemies are. And maybe only has to worry about it for a short period after joining if using a Javelin (since a couple SPD procs should see her through the entire rest of the game for the most part). Silver Sword is 2 AS loss and Killing Edge is 1 AS, so outside of ranged options, she's not really being affected at base level. Otherwise she's just a low-investment unit in a great class. Also the same reason why Cecilia is still decent at worst, except Isadora has more than passable combat stats. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aron in Radiant Dawn, He isn't used simply because he is overshadowed by the monster that is Nephenee. His stats make him a bit bulkier than the latter but he is a bit slow and could use a speed wing or 2, He definitely can still be really useful despite him being outclassed by you know who. 

12 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

Aron in Radiant Dawn, He isn't used simply because he is overshadowed by the monster that is Nephenee. His stats make him a bit bulkier than the latter but he is a bit slow and could use a speed wing or 2, He definitely can still be really useful despite him being outclassed by you know who. 

I absolutely agree, Aran is the man. He does Meg's job better than Meg that being a tank and essentially will be the DB's ONLY tank until you get Tauroneo. While I agree that he can be overshadowed by Nephenee I never understood the logic there. 1) Aran has better strength and defense on average which are usually priority stats with me 2) The DB doesn't get Nephanee so I fail to see how that argument is validated. 

Volug is another solid unit who is probably overlooked after the first part of the game simply because he's not a Laguz Royal nor is he Skrimir and the fact that he doesn't talk much certainly is not improving his case.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:29 PM, JimmyBeans said:

Another problem I find with Aran is that he is part of the Dawn Brigade chapters. Many of you would probably disagree with me, but I feel like the Dawn Brigade has the least amount of focus in a game that should be ABOUT the Dawn Brigade. Instead, it focuses way too much on Ike, and as much as I love that muscle bound, blue hair behemoth, he has no reason to be the main character of Radiant Dawn. If the entire game had been devoted to the Dawn Brigade and many of the characters were allowed to flourish, I have little doubt that Aran, Nollan and Edward would have been stables on many teams.

And don't get me wrong, I love my girl, Nephenee, but she really had no reason to be in this game.

• 2 weeks later...

FE1/11: Beck isn't often brought up, but I honestly love using him. Killing enemies from afar is just so much fun.

FE4: Diarmuid/Tristan. With the right father Diarmuid can be pretty crazy good, but I guess people just kinda ignore him in discussions unless it's about him. Tristan gets this too since he actually has some pretty bulky stats for a substitute and a workable skillset.

FE6: Trec. It's fun having an outright tank cavalier and he has a pretty solid support pool as far as I'm concerned

FE8: Maybe it's just me but I feel Vanessa gets ignored often, even though she arguably competes well with Tana for best flier in the game.

FE15: Deen, I honestly think as a whole he's just better than Sonya, being a lot more versatile and useful, even if he is a bit redundant in a route with 3 Mercenaries.

My bias aside...

In terms of lords, Marth is extremely overlooked. He gets shoved aside and called bland, just because he doesn't scream his personality. He isn't the best unit, but he can hold his own if you invest in him. He's pretty damn smart, I'd argue he's only second to Roy in terms of lord smartness if we don't count Robin, as it's implied that most of the strategies his army uses are his own. He's charismatic, and it shows as he leads the largest army in FE history, and he's the source of some of the best quotes in the series. He's also a smooth motherfucker once he gets over his awkwardness "I'm looking forward to seeing you in a wedding dress, Caeda" fuck it's my OTP.

• 1 month later...

FE7 : Geitz and Harken , they both has B in axes and pretty good skill to hit , so Hector doesn't have to horde all the axes. I don't like to train Dorcas nor Bartre (except Hector mode) so Geitz makes a really good replacement , Harken is great as his stats are only slightly worse than a Hero Raven. Farina , despite being level 12 at about 10 chapters left in the game , she can be a really powerful Falcoknight.

FE8 : Hard to say , but maybe Gilliam would be my choice , yes he has bad stats and 4 movement until promotion , that is why I gave him the first boots obtainable in the game and train him in the tower , specifically the first encounter , he can get atleast 3 levels everytime he fights solo there , with his high defence , nothing can stop him.

Edited by TGenzo

Oujay is EXTREMELY overlooked compared to Dieck. I can't blame people, but I feel Oujay has a much better character than Dieck, and stats that are on par or better than Dieck's.

Hmmm...

Pretty much every Jeigan (except maybe Seth) is underrated (specially Marcus because he was first known Jeigan in Western).

Barst is good in every game he appears, but always overlooked for some reason or another (except FE11, he is one of the viable units in that absurd game mode.)

Personally I think FE3!Part1!Roshea is a pretty decent unit, he's a bit underleveled, but he has a great defense growth for the game's standarts; and good growths all-around for a character in the Early Games.

Hmm... I guess it's all I have to say.

I would have liked to use Isadora the first time I played FE7; but I was a bit scared when I looked to her Con Stat.

53 minutes ago, Troykv said:

Hmmm...

Pretty much every Jeigan (except maybe Seth) is underrated (specially Marcus because he was first known Jeigan in Western).

Barst is good in every game he appears, but always overlooked for some reason or another (except FE11, he is one of the viable units in that absurd game mode.)

Personally I think FE3!Part1!Roshea is a pretty decent unit, he's a bit underleveled, but he has a great defense growth for the game's standarts; and good growths all-around for a character in the Early Games.

Hmm... I guess it's all I have to say.

I would have liked to use Isadora the first time I played FE7; but I was a bit scared when I looked to her Con Stat.

Barst isn't really 'good" in FE12 tbh he isn't prepromote(for early utility), and his potential is outclassed by the early game units

And FE12 is kinda super slot restricted

Mind he's really only "good" in 2 games, since FE1 he got gimped by Axe mechanic so he's more of a use early then drop unit

1 hour ago, Troykv said:

Hmmm...

Wait, since when was Marcus underrated! I get really annoyed because I hear people talk about him to much!

2 hours ago, Tuvy said:

Oujay is EXTREMELY overlooked compared to Dieck. I can't blame people, but I feel Oujay has a much better character than Dieck, and stats that are on par or better than Dieck's.

As somebody who's a fan of underdogs, I can't say I agree much with this.

If you like his "I'm a normal guy trying to help save the world" thing over Dieck's "I'm a hardened pitfighter with a heart of gold", then yeah, I can agree.

But statwise? He only beats Dieck in speed and luck. Dieck beats him pretty handily in everything else, on top of starting many chapters earlier at 2 levels higher with better bases. Later on, that speed advantage he has disappears because Dieck has a whopping 5 con over him. Totally trained up, Dieck will lose his speed advantage with the heavier weapons, which unfortunately includes the Durandal.

To top this off, due to his awful con and noticeably lower skill than Dieck, he'll struggle to make using hand axes worthwhile, which cuts his utility as a Hero significantly.

Oh, and Oujay also starts with a full weapon rank below Dieck, meaning Dieck will be able to use Killing Edges right off the bat, while Oujay wouldn't.

In a game where promotion items are so scarce, Oujay suffers when there's a higher leveled, easier to use alternative that you get earlier. Oujay's a victim of really bad... like, glaringly bad unit imbalance. You have to have a STRONG preference to him to use him over Dieck.

Edited by Slumber

On 9/18/2017 at 2:27 AM, Lau said:

My bias aside...

In terms of lords, Marth is extremely overlooked. He gets shoved aside and called bland, just because he doesn't scream his personality. He isn't the best unit, but he can hold his own if you invest in him. He's pretty damn smart, I'd argue he's only second to Roy in terms of lord smartness if we don't count Robin, as it's implied that most of the strategies his army uses are his own. He's charismatic, and it shows as he leads the largest army in FE history, and he's the source of some of the best quotes in the series. He's also a smooth motherfucker once he gets over his awkwardness "I'm looking forward to seeing you in a wedding dress, Caeda" fuck it's my OTP.

I actually like Marth fairly well. I like how he's been developed as a legend, at least to the Awakening crew. I like in Warriors how Marth the man copes with the idea that he becomes Marth the Hero-King and that those people from his own distant future view him so highly.

Plus, I'm the kind of guy who usually likes the originals.

38 minutes ago, Slumber said:

If you like his "I'm a normal guy trying to help save the world" thing over Dieck's "I'm a hardened pitfighter with a heart of gold", then yeah, I can agree.

Yeah. I agree with the whole stats thing, but this is the main reason I like Oujay. His Lilina supports are great, and I just like his design.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:22 PM, Great Dane said:

FE1/11: Beck isn't often brought up, but I honestly love using him. Killing enemies from afar is just so much fun.

I agree.  Beck made a great support unit, especially when given Boots.

But I thought he only had this long-range utility in FE11?

3 hours ago, Tuvy said:

Wait, since when was Marcus underrated! I get really annoyed because I hear people talk about him to much!

In the old not-so-good days there were tons of people throwing hate to the Jeigans (except Seth, and even him was suggested to be used with extreme caution) because some people looked to his long term (too long term) potential without considering the Game's actual powerlevel.

4 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I agree.  Beck made a great support unit, especially when given Boots.

But I thought he only had this long-range utility in FE11?

That's true - Ballisticians were glorified archers in FE1.

On 9/7/2017 at 12:21 PM, GuardianGrarl said:

Another problem I find with Aran is that he is part of the Dawn Brigade chapters. Many of you would probably disagree with me, but I feel like the Dawn Brigade has the least amount of focus in a game that should be ABOUT the Dawn Brigade. Instead, it focuses way too much on Ike, and as much as I love that muscle bound, blue hair behemoth, he has no reason to be the main character of Radiant Dawn. If the entire game had been devoted to the Dawn Brigade and many of the characters were allowed to flourish, I have little doubt that Aran, Nollan and Edward would have been stables on many teams.

And don't get me wrong, I love my girl, Nephenee, but she really had no reason to be in this game.

This is just plain unrealistic, if you ask me... I don't know any sequels that just up and ditch the old cast entirely (the closest I see to that is having the main characters just up and not show up in the sequel, and I can literally think of only one sequel that does that - Project X Zone 2).

13 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

This is just plain unrealistic, if you ask me... I don't know any sequels that just up and ditch the old cast entirely (the closest I see to that is having the main characters just up and not show up in the sequel, and I can literally think of only one sequel that does that - Project X Zone 2).

Are we talking about in general or for a particular series?

Because Final Fantasy and Megami Tensei seem to do it all the freaking time.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Are we talking about in general or for a particular series?

Because Final Fantasy and Megami Tensei seem to do it all the freaking time.

In general. Also, I wouldn't consider Final Fantasy a good example since only like two, maybe three, games actually got sequels.

22 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

In general. Also, I wouldn't consider Final Fantasy a good example since only like two, maybe three, games actually got sequels.

I see what the problem is.  By sequels I suppose you're thinking direct follow-ups like X-2 and XIII-2.

In that case, you'd be right.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

That's true - Ballisticians were glorified archers in FE1.

Chrono Cross, Virtue's Last Reward, someone said Final Fantasy XIII-2, haven't played it but I do know none of the playable cast in the first game are playable in the second. Let's see, what else? Hmm, Sin and Punishment 2, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice, all the Pokemon games in a fashion but especially the Gen 2 games and White 2/Black 2. Sure some of the old cast do pop up in all those games I mentioned but a Path of Radiance sequel focusing only on Daein would inevitably include the likes of Sothe, Tauroneo and Jill etc anyway so it's not like it was ever going to be a full cast rotation.

Edited by Jotari

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Chrono Cross, Virtue's Last Reward, someone said Final Fantasy XIII-2, haven't played it but I do know none of the playable cast in the first game are playable in the second. Let's see, what else? Hmm, Sin and Punishment 2, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice, all the Pokemon games in a fashion but especially the Gen 2 games and White 2/Black 2. Sure some of the old cast do pop up in all those games I mentioned but a Path of Radiance sequel focusing only on Daein would inevitably include the likes of Sothe, Tauroneo and Jill etc anyway so it's not like it was ever going to be a full cast rotation.

Nephenee and Brom probably would have been fine if they stayed farmers instead of going back to war, but it'd still be weird.

Like it wouldn't even be a Largo-type deal, where IS just didn't want to include Berserkers in RD. Soldiers/Halbrediers/Sentinels and Armors were still in the game, so people would have probably been upset at not getting Nephenee or Brom. Especially Nephenee, since people really, really like her. I don't really know why, but they do.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Maybe so, but still, only a small minority of characters that join in PoR are from Daein (including the aforementioned three; the actual number is probably one that I could count on one hand). So It's close enough to that, as I see it - and I highly doubt that a Daein-centric sequel would be flying off the shelves just for those characters - instead, I'd likely see it get eviscerated and ultimately bomb for having next to none of the characters people actually liked raising in the prequel. And I did forget about Dark Dawn... except that takes place 30 years after The Lost Age (IIRC). As for Sin & Punishment 2, it's of a game genre that isn't exactly known for its characters.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia