Underrated/Overlooked Fire Emblem Characters?

TheZakkAttack

On 4/11/2017 at 9:45 PM, lbrasz44 said:

Fe6- Trec is still terrible but I find him to be better than Noah.

Fe7- I'm a big fan of using Legault over Matthew

Definitely agree on these points.

After finally finishing Conquest, I think Odin has been pretty good. Shame I didn't get to raise his sword rank enough, as he had a high strength that he never got to use effectively, while his magic was serviceable. 

Then again, most of my units disappointed in at least one stat, (e.g. Selena ending up with 6 strength below average by the end of it (and was 10 strength below Odin. Yeah, that screwed))

Aside from that, the underrated unit had the be General Benny. The guy was very effective once he got Wary Fighter, and was more effective at tanking than Xander (not so much with magic, but there wasn't too much of that late on). No other units really stood out (I mean, besides Ms. "Feel the burn" herself and the royals), and that might have been to the game's benefit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/11/2017 at 11:20 PM, YouSquiddinMe said:

I'm not looking for an argument lol, no need to act so uptight man. A simple "not interested" would have sufficed.

Such was not my intention. Anyways, I just feel people here are way too nonchalant about facing existent crit chances. Granted, if you shrug it off, it doesn't really matter, but shrugging off crits isn't something I'd expect a Berserker to do. That being said, I really don't like constantly having to go into situations where "if so-and-so eats a crit, I have to reset", especially near the end of a map, hence my poor opinion on Berserkers as a class in Fates (and Arthur as well).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

18 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Such was not my intention. Anyways, I just feel people here are way too nonchalant about facing existent crit chances. Granted, if you shrug it off, it doesn't really matter, but shrugging off crits isn't something I'd expect a Berserker to do. That being said, I really don't like constantly having to go into situations where "if so-and-so eats a crit, I have to reset", especially near the end of a map, hence my poor opinion on Berserkers as a class in Fates (and Arthur as well).

The point is that Beruka caps defense as a Berserker so if she does get critted by the 3-10 (at most) chance she'll be fine, especially after pairup.

FE6: The ones that particularly stuck out to me were Geese and Oujay. Geese is often eschewed in favor of Gonzales in terms of pure damage output, while the latter often gets a bad wrap because Dieck exists and is almost always better. This kind of boils down to personal preference: I prefer Geese because he can actually hit his target with an axe and still has solid chances of critting and is better at taking hits for me. As for Oujay, as good as Dieck is, I actually prefer my heroes to be on the speedier side, and I almost never use axes with them. Plus, my Rutger mysteriously got speed screwed in my most recent playthrough, so I might just wind up using both Dieck and Oujay, as much as I love swordmasters in this game.

FE7: I guess people consider Canas and Erk to be pretty average, but they've turned out amazingly for me.

FE8: Moulder the Boulder and his colossal con and solid defense growth. Second best sage I ever had. 

FE9: I decided to dump all my BEXP into Tormod once, and he wound up as one of the best units in my team. Celerity + spells + solid growths = win. Other than that, I'm told Makalov gets to be pretty good, but I don't particularly like his character...

FE10: Strangely, I had a pretty solid streak going with Brom. He kept getting levels in speed and defense, and he even eclipsed Gatrie somehow. Still unsure as to how that happened. 

FE13: Gregor turned beast mode, as did Yarne. Both ended up as berserkers.

On April 23, 2017 at 0:01 PM, YouSquiddinMe said:

The point is that Beruka caps defense as a Berserker so if she does get critted by the 3-10 (at most) chance she'll be fine, especially after pairup.

You gotta admit, that isn't very impressive considering Berserker has one of the lowest defence caps in the game (27 before modifiers). Also, unless she had gotten some levels as a wyvern rider before the reclass, I don't think she'd cap her defence as a Berserker (assuming being reclassed straight away, she only gets to 23-24 defence as a Berserker at 20/20, which is well short of her 29 cap).

okee here goes...

FE2: Atlas

FE3: Bord, Radd, Caeser

FE4: Mostly just any unmounted unit.

FE5: Cain, Carrion, Robert, Alva, and Halvan.

FE6: Oujay

FE7: Geitz

FE8: Mah boi Saleh

FE9: Rolf

FE10: LEONARDO DI CAPRIO

FE13: uhhhh..... kellam I guess

FE14: Yah b0i Guzma

(seriously they are the same person)

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.0604ed1a3e338524fde1b570e4f42b46.jpgSmall_portrait_shura_fe14.png.9a0ec108da49cecd64e2e8a4f81e7d22.png

I'd say Azelle. Its true that Azelle lacks a pony before promotion and that Levin is his clear superior in just about anything but with almost no character in Jugdral having any resistance to speak of there will always be a use for a mage like Azelle to fulfill and he does eventually get that pony. You can take everyone you want with you anyway and leveling him is useful for the kids so I think it makes sense to take him along. I also think Azelle is somewhat underacted as a character. His relation with Alvis makes his situation unique among among the units in any of the games and him being a bastard has the potential to make that situation even more interesting. Yet despite this you rarely hear people talk about Azelle. He also missed out on an Awakening cameo and I have a distinct feeling he's not going to appear in Heroes any time soon either. 

Hinata is underatted to some extend. He's not that bad a unit, not great but certainly decent and in the ridiculously easy birthright decent is all you need. Revelations also doesn't screw him over like some character. 

FE4: Johalva/Iuchabar, purely because he's the only unique unit in the game that doesn't share a class with any other unit in gen 1 or gen 2.
FE5: Tanya, Halvan, Machyua, Marty, Troude... really, most units that aren't on a horse or armor units are real good in FE5. I'll say Homer, simply because he's the first of like, 5 Ests you get, but he also has Elite and an ideal Scroll candidate, and, well. He's Homer.

FE6: Oujay and Geese. The former is a decent unit who has roughly the same stats as Dieck, but starts at a lower level and has lower con. For all intents and purposes, Dieck steals his spotlight, and will likely take the very coveted Hero Crest, but Oujay's still a pretty great unit, should you ever play FE6 and go "You know, maybe I won't use Dieck this time". Geese is an amazing unit completely screwed over by how awful axes are in FE6. Definitely still usable, and I'd say he's candidate #1 if you want an axer on the team. Berserker crit bonuses kinda balance out the low hit% of axes.

FE7: Geitz. One of the better prepromotes in this game, and, especially on hard, the only one that will completely overshadow other units of the same class.

FE8: ...? Maybe Garcia? He's got a sweet beard.

FE9: Tormod. Extra movement is sweet on a mage, and I like his stat distribution more than Soren and Ilyana.

FE10: Aran. Your best tank in the DB, and he hits like a truck. He has decentish speed, and all around I'd say he's the best Soldier/Halberdier/Sentinel.

FE11/12: Totally Radd brah!

FE13 and 14: Everybody knows and loves these units and they're all overpowered as fuck. No need to really pick one arbitrarily for this list.

The only one I don't really have an answer for is FE2, mostly because I'm not as familiar with it as I am every other game in the series, and I didn't even realize people cared about it until the remake was announced.

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

FE4: Johalva/Iuchabar, purely because he's the only unique unit in the game that doesn't share a class with any other unit in gen 1 or gen 2.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Are you saying Johalva is literally the only unit in the game with the fighter class? Because like all the units you fight in the first two chapters are fighters, including two bosses. Or do you mean he's the only fighter the player gets in the entire game, in which case that's not entirely special since Altena is the only Dragon Knight you get too.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Are you saying Johalva is literally the only unit in the game with the fighter class? Because like all the units you fight in the first two chapters are fighters, including two bosses. Or do you mean he's the only fighter the player gets in the entire game, in which case that's not entirely special since Altena is the only Dragon Knight you get too.

I meant the latter. I forgot about Altena.

FE4: Basically every one of the footies. Because large maps.

FE6: Dorothy (she turned out more speedier than Wolt, for me), Oujay (he honestly turned out better than Dieck, having more speed and about the same strength as him), Wendy (really, she gets great once you let her boss abuse the boss in her join chapter, and she became one of my best units. But, as everyone knows, she really does come at a bad time with bad base stats), Lilina (just give her some level ups, and there, she's the mage with more mag, and makes a good team with the speedy Lugh), Shin (I assume Sue is used more, so yes, Shin is also pretty good), Gonzales and Geese (the only axemen that showed their greatness, especially the former one), Fir (Rutger is better obviously, but Fir does do well as a Myrmidon), Tate (not as good as Shanna, but still does fine in the long run and has more strength),

FE7: Wil (not as speedy as Rebecca, but nevertheless, does fine), Dorcas (the few extra level ups in Lyn mode helps him out tbh, and does fine enough), Legault (has better stats than Matthew, also looks cool), Erk (Pent pretty much is better than he could ever be, but he still tries), Geitz (as a backup Warrior, he does his job well), Fiora ( I assume she's underrated than Florina, but anyways, she does better than Florina for me most of the time).

FE8: I don't think anyone's really underrated in this game, but if I had to pick, Moulder (I mean come on, extra healers are always great, especially when they can become bishops or sages), Marisa (not as great as Joshua, but pretty much is as speedy as Myrmidons are supposed to be), Syrene (she comes late, and may possibly not be as great as your other leveled up flying units, but give her a few level ups, and she does quite well).

Would have talked about Shadow Dragon's underrated characters, if I hadn't forgotten like literally have of the units in the game. I guess the other guy who also has a Ballistae like Jake could count, seeing as how Jake is more famous and has appeared in some of the other games as a cameo, whereas the other guy has not.

16 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

FE4: Basically every one of the footies. Because large maps.

FE6: Dorothy (she turned out more speedier than Wolt, for me), Oujay (he honestly turned out better than Dieck, having more speed and about the same strength as him), Wendy (really, she gets great once you let her boss abuse the boss in her join chapter, and she became one of my best units. But, as everyone knows, she really does come at a bad time with bad base stats), Lilina (just give her some level ups, and there, she's the mage with more mag, and makes a good team with the speedy Lugh), Shin (I assume Sue is used more, so yes, Shin is also pretty good), Gonzales and Geese (the only axemen that showed their greatness, especially the former one), Fir (Rutger is better obviously, but Fir does do well as a Myrmidon), Tate (not as good as Shanna, but still does fine in the long run and has more strength),

FE7: Wil (not as speedy as Rebecca, but nevertheless, does fine), Dorcas (the few extra level ups in Lyn mode helps him out tbh, and does fine enough), Legault (has better stats than Matthew, also looks cool), Erk (Pent pretty much is better than he could ever be, but he still tries), Geitz (as a backup Warrior, he does his job well), Fiora ( I assume she's underrated than Florina, but anyways, she does better than Florina for me most of the time).

FE8: I don't think anyone's really underrated in this game, but if I had to pick, Moulder (I mean come on, extra healers are always great, especially when they can become bishops or sages), Marisa (not as great as Joshua, but pretty much is as speedy as Myrmidons are supposed to be), Syrene (she comes late, and may possibly not be as great as your other leveled up flying units, but give her a few level ups, and she does quite well).

Would have talked about Shadow Dragon's underrated characters, if I hadn't forgotten like literally have of the units in the game. I guess the other guy who also has a Ballistae like Jake could count, seeing as how Jake is more famous and has appeared in some of the other games as a cameo, whereas the other guy has not.

The problem with Shadow Dragon cast is that half of it is super forgettable. Honestly I can't even remember the name of those bald knight twins.

TRUE Asugi FAIL.gif

Edited by Rifas Club

On 4/24/2017 at 1:05 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You gotta admit, that isn't very impressive considering Berserker has one of the lowest defence caps in the game (27 before modifiers). Also, unless she had gotten some levels as a wyvern rider before the reclass, I don't think she'd cap her defence as a Berserker (assuming being reclassed straight away, she only gets to 23-24 defence as a Berserker at 20/20, which is well short of her 29 cap).

You want her to be in Wyvern for a while so she can get Savage Blow, hence capping Def.

Regardless, at this point we are arguing about exactly nothing since you have decided ahead of time that "Berserker is a bad class" even though it's one of the best classes in the game.

11 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

You want her to be in Wyvern for a while so she can get Savage Blow, hence capping Def.

Regardless, at this point we are arguing about exactly nothing since you have decided ahead of time that "Berserker is a bad class" even though it's one of the best classes in the game.

Savage Blow doesn't seem all that useful... IMHO, it's one of those things that's much more useful in theory than in actual practice - just how often can I be expecting to attack from a position where a decent number of units get hit, without risking overextending the user? Also, I don't think it works out that way - on average, you'd have to have her stay in Wyvern Rider/Lord for practically the entire game... for her to STILL fall short of capping defence as a Berserker. As for Berserkers, anything can look good if you ignore what makes it bad.

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Savage Blow doesn't seem all that useful... IMHO, it's one of those things that's much more useful in theory than in actual practice - just how often can I be expecting to attack from a position where a decent number of units get hit, without risking overextending the user? Also, I don't think it works out that way - on average, you'd have to have her stay in Wyvern Rider/Lord for practically the entire game... for her to STILL fall short of capping defence as a Berserker. As for Berserkers, anything can look good if you ignore what makes it bad.

Am I being trolled? Are you being serious?

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Am I being trolled? Are you being serious?

No, you're not being trolled. On the contrary, I think YOU were trying to troll ME with your claims that Beruka caps defence as a Berserker - claims that the math failed to back up. That being said, I did my calculations the way I did because trying to account for reclassing would've made things messy. And it seems I failed to account for promotion gains when calculating, too. Anyways, she needs 17 levels of defence to cap as a Berserker - which (1) requires staying in Wyvern Rider/Lord for pretty much the whole game to be feasible without Eternal Seals, and (2) wouldn't even help much anyway since by that point, you're at endgame.

I'm happy to see Geese & Geitz getting some (brotherly) love, as those two are some of my favorites to use, both as units and characters.

Special shout-outs also go to Rennac (thieving 4 days... fuhuhuhu) and Benny, without whom I would have never made it through CQ hard.

6 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

No, you're not being trolled. On the contrary, I think YOU were trying to troll ME with your claims that Beruka caps defence as a Berserker - claims that the math failed to back up. That being said, I did my calculations the way I did because trying to account for reclassing would've made things messy. And it seems I failed to account for promotion gains when calculating, too. Anyways, she needs 17 levels of defence to cap as a Berserker - which (1) requires staying in Wyvern Rider/Lord for pretty much the whole game to be feasible without Eternal Seals, and (2) wouldn't even help much anyway since by that point, you're at endgame.

I'm not talking about her capping def, she did it in my playthrough and I'm not all that lucky so I figured it was common, I should have tested it.

It just seems that you are being overly antagonistic and I am unsure why.

13 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I'm not talking about her capping def, she did it in my playthrough and I'm not all that lucky so I figured it was common, I should have tested it.

It just seems that you are being overly antagonistic and I am unsure why.

Ehhh, you could chalk that up to my cynical outlook on things, really - part of my dislike for Berserkers is rooted in most of the units that could become one either being hit-or-miss or outright bad. Being weapon locked doesn't help matters (that said, it's worse in some games than others).

Well hello there. Underrated character talk here hey? Would love to talk about that being the underdog lover I am (excuse me if I am late I only joined recently so). 

Spoiler

FE6: Guinevere. Seriously, her story is just so sad. Her arsehole of a father constantly trying to kill Zephiel and being the reason why he turned into what he was, ruining their close relationship together from FE7; all the feels. Also how she is ready, despite betraying her country, to deal with becoming Queen of Bern after Zephiel's death and dealing with disgruntled nobles and the people. Guinevere has a lot of similarities to RD Elincia actually with how she deals with everything in the game. 

FE8: Selena. Aka Lucia 2.0. except unlike her, her life isn't spared. I love her backstory of why she came to serve Lyon's father and the friendship she had with her fellow riders. Also, The Fluorspar is just such an awesome name for her, she is a gorgeous designed woman and gosh the heart strings pulled when you face her in Ephraim's route. Just...ah man...

FE9/10: BASTIAN. BASTIAN, BASTIAN AND BASTIAN. THIS MAN IS A HILARIOUS, INTELLIGENT MAGNIFICENT DASTARD AND I AM FOREVER UPSET HE IS UNDERAPPRECIATED. HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE HIS MAGNIFICANCE IN ALL HE DOES? HE DESERVED MORE TIME THAN WHAT HE HAD IN THE GAMES. OH OH WHY MAN WHY. 

Also, Calill. Why did she get the lowest ranking of the votes on the FE Heroes votes?! Seriously Calill is amazing, she's my third favourite Tellius female after my gorgeous girls (Lucia & Elincia). Beneath all her rude snootiness is a kind heart and she's the kind of woman you'd definitely talk life and stuff with; it's all too fitting she runs a bar. She's also an amazing mother btw; and she doesn't kid when she knows her magic (regarding her support with Tormod). That woman has done her research, man.

If I mention Lucia now this post will become twice the size of what it actually is.

Caineghis, Tanith and Renning get honourable mentions. 

FE13: Say'ri. Honestly. she should've got her own showcase of taking Valm instead of Chrom and the tactician coming along. It could've been a side story of her meeting allies to unite and rebel against Walhart and all. So much could've been done here man! Also Gregor. DEFINITELY Gregor. He's hilarious and incredibly kind, let alone lovable, the poor guy. 

FE14: Is Setsuna underrated? I definitely know Hinoka is though. Poor girl utterly slammed with next to no involvement at all in Birthright. Shame on I.S. for that.

FE7: Legault. I find him to be the most interesting thief and I really love his design. I prefer him over Matthew.

FE8: Syrene. A very lovely design. I also like using as a backup peg.

FE13: Say'ri. Great character, great design, and a great unit.

FE14 BR: Reina. Imo, the most overlooked character in all of Fates.

FE14 CQ: Can't really say, but I feel that Beruka doesn't really gets talked about as much as other CQ characters.

Elincia and Jill for sure. I was really surprised at how poorly these two did in the Heroes poll. They're some of the best written characters in the series, imo, and are great units to use in their games too. Well, except for PoR Elincia, but that's mainly because she comes in far too late to really be much use.

But oh well, I'll always love these two and along with Marcia are my favorite FE girls.

Speaking of which, I find Marcia rather underrated too. She might not be that great of a unit, but character-wise she is so entertaining and awesome.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Elincia and Jill for sure. I was really surprised at how poorly these two did in the Heroes poll. They're some of the best written characters in the series, imo, and are great units to use in their games too. Well, except for PoR Elincia, but that's mainly because she comes in far too late to really be much use.

But oh well, I'll always love these two and along with Marcia are my favorite FE girls.

Speaking of which, I find Marcia rather underrated too. She might not be that great of a unit, but character-wise she is so entertaining and awesome.

Not trying to be rude here, but are those three really all that underrated? I think it's kind of understandable how they didn't score in the top ranks of the heroes poll, considering they are neither 3DS characters nor Smash representatives, but when we take a look at the fanbase that has actually played the Teliius games?

Jill seems to be a favourite due to being both a great unit and a well-developed character. Elinicia's part of RD is generally known as piece of high quality writing (and Amiti is pretty nice as well), whereas Marcia is just absurdly good in PoR while still being solid in RD.

1 minute ago, Sias said:

Not trying to be rude here, but are those three really all that underrated?

Yeah. Because when we take a look at the fanbase that has actually played the Tellius games, it's all about Mia and Nephenee and to a slightly lesser extent, Soren, if not Ike. I hardly ever see love for Elincia, Jill, or Marcia at all. Many people even exclude Elincia from prediction lists for FE Warriors while Mia and Nephenee and even Soren get mentions on them! Those characters should never get into a game like this before Elincia does, if you ask me. Elincia is a main character in both games. She's practically a hair away from being an actual lord and even IS seems to acknowledge this since she was paid Awakening DLC.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

She might not be that great of a unit

Depends on the type of player. Efficiency and LTC calls Marcia 10/10 in PoR. Just dump all your BEXP in her as soon as you get her, and she will be a flying monster from beginning to end. Bad availability hurts her in RD, but I like the bond she's surprisingly built with Elincia.

Jill is Marcia sans Res and -Speed, but more Str and Def on Efficiency, still top tier material. Though she isn't really liked on LTC due to costing turns. She's also the single best investment unit in RD, blowing Neph out of the water in this regard.

For a more casual player, I can see them being drawn to Neph due to her Wrath, which is totally out of place personality-wise, but rocks from a gameplay perspective.

Mia can run Vantage-Wrath in PoR, but without the combo is a weaker Zihark/Stefan, not terrible though. Not a bad Part 3 GM in RD either, albeit in need of training, and Neph does too, and casual players are more often draw to growth units than not.

As for personalities- those who look less deep are more likely to be fine with Neph and Mia. If you scratch the surface, Neph is kinda shy and a country girl, but not much else. Mia is a near-Ilyana atrocity who Largo should get a restraining order against.

If you want depth, Marcia isn't terribly developed, but at least has two decent notes- brother troubles and perkiness. And Jill has a character arc that should be considered the ideal for minor FE characters development. Though Jill general interests and other normal aspects are kinda left unexplored due to the heavy focus on her development out of racism and her struggle to disobey her father.

On that note, I personally find Shinon underrated in terms of personality/character. Read his supports, add his pre-departure plot dialogue, and then his convos once an enemy in PoR, and then throw with his RD bits, and we have one extremely well-formed and one of a kind in FE character. He's provocative and edgy, but so wonderfully complex.