Run Variety

There are a lot of different kinds of challenge runs FE players do to get the most out of their games- LTCs, Drafts, All X units... and I'm interested in hearing what ways IS could implement a nod to them in a future title, as a way of incentivising other players to give them a try.

Obviously, adding a little achievements section might be easiest, but Fire Emblem has typically been a series about direct rewards. The easiest method would probably be a note in the epilogue, but I'm fairly sure there could be some other way. Maybe even tiers of reward depending on, say, if you used grinding or not to complete the challenge.

Beat the game nine times, have transfer data with a specific support on your second playthrough, have the gba cable, kill off more than half your army to unlock specific paralogues, raise Nils to level 7 during Lyn's story. FE has an awful track record for unlockable content. Ranging from repetitive to obscure to counter-productive. I'm also personally not a fan of shipping units to recruit their kids that make up a third of the full cast, but I see why people are attracted to the marriage concept. Recruiting Pelleas on a second playthrough is a nice surprise, but nothing up to that point of the game would have changed in order to give Micaiah the courage to select that option.

I think LTCs are a great way of getting players to master the chapters. Completing a chapter quick in order to recruit a character has a lot of reasonable applications. I would prefer the game be as up front as possible with its optional objectives, however. Secret characters, scenes, music, have a checklist of things you need to do that's unlocked after your first playthrough. Reaching A rank supports in order to unlock character-centered paralogue chapters or reclass options is another thing I'd love to see.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a challenge for you, beat the game without having a single weapon equipped! Doing so will give you the King of Iron Fist achievement. In all seriousness I do think it would be fun if units who had weapons unequipped would punch their attackers like the unshifted laguz would.