Famitsu Review - 37/40! Highest Score for a FE game!

Famitsu:

Demon's Souls - 29/40(This is a low score for Famitsu)

NIntendogs and Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 40/40

I'll always give them some benefit of the doubt, for giving Vagrant Story a 40/40, but I take ALL of their reviews with a grain of salt so big you could only get it from desalinating the Pacific Ocean.

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

Famitsu:

Demon's Souls - 29/40(This is a low score for Famitsu)

NIntendogs and Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 40/40

I'll always give them some benefit of the doubt, for giving Vagrant Story a 40/40, but I take ALL of their reviews with a grain of salt so big you could only get it from desalinating the Pacific Ocean.

We sadly have to assume that some of the reviews are paid for by the people who sent them the review copies, especially with gaming magazines / news sites. I know we can't exactly pinpoint which reviews and reviewers were paid and which weren't, but the suspicion does come to mind with stuff like this, which is sad, really.

I just buy a game that I deem interesting and if it's good, then good and if it's bad, eh, tough luck. I mostly read reviews of games I buy after the fact to see what other people think of it.

Such is how I found beautiful gems like Stella Glow, 7th Dragon III Code: VFD, the Trails series, Bravely Default and it's sequel and - most recently - Nights of Azure, to name a few examples.

And only 29/40 for Demon's Souls? I mean, Dark Souls I through III blew that game out of the water, sure, but that low of a score? The hell?

Edited by DragonFlames

14 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, that's all you had to say. You kept asking about my rating, not about why I think it looks meh. But some of the maps shown so far don't look that interesting, I'm not big on what we've seen on the story so far either, and while I'm okay with Alm's design, Celica looks too much like an older Maria to me. Also, there's no pair-up in this game. I love pair-up. Glad there's no children or marriage tho, and the dungeon crawling seems interesting.

When you consider that its a remake of the second game, having pair up and marriages doesn't seem to make the game as faithful to the original. And the story is based on Gaiden so to criticize on Echoes story as a standalone is pretty odd unless you didn't find the original story of Gaiden interesting enough.

Same thing applies for maps too. I mean, the maps are suppose to be like the original....hence its called an ENHANCED remake.

Now don't get me wrong, I too love the pair up system as well but for me, I can understand why they want to remove it. And  atleast on the plus side, Archers are not anywhere lamer than what they used to be for the past 13 games.

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

We sadly have to assume that some of the reviews are paid for by the people who sent them the review copies, especially with gaming magazines / news sites. I know we can't exactly pinpoint which reviews and reviewers were paid and which weren't, but the suspicion does come to mind with stuff like this, which is sad, really.

I just buy a game that I deem interesting and if it's good, then good and if it's bad, eh, tough luck. I mostly read reviews of games I buy after the fact to see what other people think of it.

Such is how I found beautiful gems like Stella Glow, 7th Dragon III Code: VFD, the Trails series, Bravely Default and it's sequel and - most recently - Nights of Azure, to name a few examples.

And only 29/40 for Demon's Souls? I mean, Dark Souls I through III blew that game out of the water, sure, but that low of a score? The hell?

There's a lot of value in being able to judge whether or not you'll like a game beforehand, but reviews will always hold some sway.

Like the FFXIII-2 deal. Say you were a long time FF fan(Like me) who hated FFXIII(Like me), and couldn't wait for that game to become a distant memory and the next FF game to come out(Like me). Then you find out that they're going to stick to their guns with FFXIII, and you get depressed as you realize that FFXIII is going to be what Final Fantasy is for half a decade. But then the next FFXIII game comes out, and the most prestigious game magazine in Japan has four separate reviewers give the game a perfect score all at once, saying it addresses all of the problems FFXIII had. Well, you might end up tricked into picking up FFXIII-2 and finding out it only fixed like, 3 of FFXIII's 100 problems.

Not saying this happened to me(I picked up FFXIII-2 at a garage sale 3 years after it came out for $5), but it very well could have, and I would have been very mad at Famitsu/whatever other reviewers reviewed the game and called it perfect. Reviews do have some power over peoples' wallets.

Thankfully, the inverse rarely happens. You usually don't find masterpieces getting 5/10s everywhere.

And yup. Demon's Souls only got 29/40. I doubt anyone reviewing it expected the game to end up being one of the most influential games in game development for the next decade. Even Shuhei Yoshida, Sony's president, was super down on the game, refusing to publish it outside of Japan. It makes all of the interviews he gave about Bloodborne funny in hindsight.

Demon's Souls with that score seems perfectly fair to me. As much as Souls fanbase seems to have a stick up their collective ass about this fact, those games are not for everyone. I remember when Mega Man 9 beat that game in the GameFAQs contest a few years back; the whining from its fans was unreal. And rather pathetic.

Anyway I'd take any review score for anything with a tremendous amount of salt, particularly game reviews. But I do trust Famitsu slightly more than the average western reviewer (they're less likely to deduct points for idiotic points like a game being "too linear"), and any good review shows at least one (in this case, four) people liked the game, and should be taken as a good sign if you're a Fire Emblem fan.

12 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Demon's Souls wasn't exactly popular when it came out considering how many reviews both in the west in Japan blasted its difficulty and obtuse nature, perhaps because it was the first Souls game without much precedent.

4 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Demon's Souls wasn't exactly popular when it came out considering how many reviews both in the west in Japan blasted its difficulty and obtuse nature, perhaps because it was the first Souls game without much precedent.

The vast majority of reviews in the west were very positive for DeS, and I think a lot of Japanese reviews were mostly positive. It was just Famitsu being Famitsu.

11 hours ago, Slumber said:

The vast majority of reviews in the west were very positive for DeS, and I think a lot of Japanese reviews were mostly positive. It was just Famitsu being Famitsu.

I can remember quite a few bashing it over how difficult it was and its rather budget nature, which it was. But most still gave it a relatively good score.

Nevertheless, the real point is that 7.5/10 is by no means a bad score, but Famitsu have a history of giving glowing scores to games and series that have a lot of hype and money behind them just the same as most other commercial game reviewers, compared to ones with almost no marketing.

Edited by Tryhard

On 4/11/2017 at 0:42 PM, The DanMan said:

The general rule of thumb is that if Famitsu rates a game 37 or higher out of 40, you subtract the 30 from it and make it out of ten.

So I suppose that translates to Echoes having a 7/10? To be perfectly honest, this is the score I expect from Western reviewers such as IGN. While I can see doing well, I also expect common complaints regarding the HP Cost and the map design (and maybe some other complaints such as a lack of Avatar or a much smaller roster of characters).

I stopped letting reviews influence my purchase decisions a while ago and never looked back. I have enjoyed games with bad reviews (Heroes of the Storm, ME: Andromeda) as much as ones with good reviews (Overwatch, Breath of the Wild). In summary, if you are true to what you really like, you will never "waste" money. 

That being said, even if you want to avoid falling hard off the hype train and breaking some bones, it is always good to have positive reviews for games of franchises you like. They do often influence people who are on the fence about buying the games and profits will always encourage companies to support the titles and future releases for said franchise. More Fire Emblem is always good.

On 14.4.2017 at 7:42 PM, Slumber said:

There's a lot of value in being able to judge whether or not you'll like a game beforehand, but reviews will always hold some sway.

I never denied that, since it's a fact of life and I really do think it's good that such a system exists that lets people know 'alright, this is what you can expect'. It's just sadly a system that can and may get exploited. (Again, I don't want to dig too deep, since it's all just assumptions without any hard proof to back it up. I'm treading on thin ice enough as it is.)

And, to tell you the truth, my way of doing things has also let me to fall down once or twice before where I bought a game I thought I would like, but I disliked them immediately after playing for a few hours. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, Digimon Rumble Arena for PS3, Final Fantasy X-2 (thankfully, that one came with Final Fantasy X to make up for it) and ICO (which came with the superior (in my opinion) Shadow of the Colossus, luckily) spring to mind.

23 hours ago, Archeleon said:

I stopped letting reviews influence my purchase decisions a while ago and never looked back. I have enjoyed games with bad reviews (Heroes of the Storm, ME: Andromeda) as much as ones with good reviews (Overwatch, Breath of the Wild). In summary, if you are true to what you really like, you will never "waste" money. 

That being said, even if you want to avoid falling hard off the hype train and breaking some bones, it is always good to have positive reviews for games of franchises you like. They do often influence people who are on the fence about buying the games and profits will always encourage companies to support the titles and future releases for said franchise. More Fire Emblem is always good.

You took the words right out of my mouth with that statement.

And I completely agree with your second paragraph as well.

Edited by DragonFlames