Skills you'd like to see?

wizzard of soz

since I was a bit late to the FEH train i'm not sure if any new skills have been added since its release, aside from the spring festival ones. Lucina's A is pretty nice and more hybrid ___ Blow type skills would be interesting to see. so, i hope they start adding more skills down the line...but i wonder what all possibilities can be exhausted and what people would like to see. not limited to the skill slot skills, but also assist and weapon skills (is that what they're called? things like Luna, Moonbow, etc?)

i for one am interested in more skills beneficial for playing on the defense, like Quick Riposte. i'd like to see a shift in general from the meta that is focused so hard on OHKOing everything towards one that would make tanks and survivability a more viable option, though i'm not sure how plausible that is. regardless, think having skills like the ____ Blow except in reverse: when initiated on, get a +2/+4/+6 bonus to a stat. possibly even a reverse Life or Death that boosts Res/Def and lowers Atk/Spd (though that sounds kind of...bad, since sacrificing speed ties into diminished overarching defenses due to being doubled...). 

also interested in more utility skills. consider: rally movement, gives +1 movement. skills along the lines of Breath of Life that diversify utility from only stat boosting so you can build different types of support-y units, though my brain draws a blank when trying to think of any.

has anyone else ever thought about skills they'd like to see implemented in the game?

30 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

weapon skills (is that what they're called? things like Luna, Moonbow, etc?)

"Special skills".

30 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

possibly even a reverse Life or Death that boosts Res/Def and lowers Atk/Spd (though that sounds kind of...bad, since sacrificing speed ties into diminished overarching defenses due to being doubled...). 

The World of Shadows banner is coming with a character having

Spoiler

Fortress Def, which gives +5 Def and -3 Atk.

I'll see if I can scrounge out my old new skills hopes post.

EDIT:

On 3/17/2017 at 3:00 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Fortune: Zero-cooldown special skill or A-type passive skill, prevents opponent's special skill from activating against this unit. (Perhaps also prevent units from building their special skill gauge against this unit.)

Nihil: B-type passive skill, prevents opponent's combat-related A-type and B-type passive skills from activating against this unit.

Negate Aura: C-type passive skill, prevents enemies within 2 tiles from receiving or activating the effect of C-type passive skills. ("True" buffs like Hone Atk will remain as long as it was received from outside of the skill's range.)

Lockdown: C-type passive skill, prevents enemies within 2 tiles from using or being targets of mobility assist skills, passive skills that reposition units, or passive skills that allow teleportation.

Edited by Ice Dragon

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Special skills".

The World of Shadows banner is coming with a character having

Reveal hidden contents

Fortress Def, which gives +5 Def and -3 Atk.

I'll see if I can scrounge out my old new skills hopes post.

heck yeeaaaah, thank you IS. though i have awful luck with pulling 5* so i'll probably never see them in my life. 8')

oh yeah, i'd also thought of a Nihil-esque skill, but for some reason only thought about it affecting specials, though Fortune makes sense since specials could be considered akin to crits in the games. i like all of these, please give... and the second two go along with the diversified utility which yesss. smh if Ike doesn't get released with Nihil

A few more:

Aura Extend: Staff only, passive B. This unit's passive C skill has its range extended by 1.

• Hone, Fortify, and Spur skills have their range extended to 2.
  • Breath of Life has its range extended to 2.
  • Threaten skills have their range extended to 3.
  • Savage Blow has its range extended to 3.

Aura Boost: Staff only, passive B. This unit's passive C skill has its stat-affecting effect increased by 4/7/10% of this unit's corresponding stat (excluding buffs). Examples:

• A unit with Aura Boost 3, Hone Spd 3, and 30 Spd would give +7 Spd (4 + 30 x 10% = 4 + 3 = 8) instead of +4 Spd when activating Hone Spd 3.
  • A unit with Aura Boost 3, Threaten Atk 3, and 40 Atk would inflict -9 Atk (5 + 40 x 10% = 5 + 4 = 9) instead of -5 Atk when activating Threaten Atk 3.

Wide Range: Staff only, passive B. When attacking with a staff, the after-battle effect is also applied to enemies within 1 square of the target.

I have a few, that probably aren't that good, but here you go:

Duelist's Blow 1/2: A Skill. Grants 2/4 DEF and RES when this unit is attacking. (Think Swift Sparrow, but with DEF/RES instead... couldn't come up with a name, so I just used that one Blow skill from Fates that wasn't used yet)

Brave Battler 1/2/3: B Skill. While this unit has HP > 90/70/50%, both sides will always perform a follow-up attack during combat involving this unit. (the anti-Wary Fighter)

Parity: Special Skill, Always Active. Prevents enemy units from decreasing their Special Skill cooldown or activating their Special Skills when in combat with this unit. (It's basically sacrificing a Special Skill to prevent enemy Specials from being used against you... though stuff like the AoE skills would still proc against this unit since they happen before combat starts... Probably not that great in practice, but still)

Copycat: Command Skill. Allows this unit to copy the Special, A, B and C skills of an ally unit through their next combat, after which they revert to their original skillset. Allows this unit to gain skills not normally available to their weapon type. (Was thinking of how Xane could work when I made this. The skill-copying would overwrite the skill-slots, and would render skillslots empty if the unit being copied did not have skills in those slots. Doubt this would be useful, but maybe?)

Edited by ILikeKirbys
For Clarity

2 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Copycat: Command Skill. Allows this unit to copy the Special, A, B and C skills of an ally unit through their next action, after which they revert to their original skillset. Allows this unit to gain skills not normally available to their weapon type. (Was thinking of how Xane could work when I made this. The skill-copying would overwrite the skill-slots, and would render skillslots empty if the unit being copied did not have skills in those slots. Doubt this would be useful, but maybe?)

How would this work? Wouldn't using the command basically use up the turn rendering some A or B skills kind of useless? It's still an interesting idea. I wonder what which character it would belong to.

Just now, KongDude88 said:

How would this work? Wouldn't using the command basically use up the turn rendering some A or B skills kind of useless? It's still an interesting idea. I wonder what which character it would belong to.

Well, yeah, but then you would keep the copied skills until the copying unit engaged in combat, after which you would go back to the character's default skillset. Yeah, some A/B skills would probably end up useless here, but I was thinking more along the lines of being able to copy skills that you can't normally have on that unit (like, for example, putting Bowbreaker on a flier, or copying Swordbreaker onto Nino, or giving a Pain user Poison Strike, stuff like that) for a temporary advantage.

I kinda was thinking of Xane from the Archanaea games when I wrote that, since I remember him being able to transform into other classes and wanted to kinda make that a thing here, but wasn't sure how to do that without it being kinda crappy or broken.

3 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Duelist's Blow 1/2: A Skill. Grants 2/4 DEF and RES when this unit is attacking. (Think Swift Sparrow, but with DEF/RES instead... couldn't come up with a name, so I just used that one Blow skill from Fates that wasn't used yet)

Swift Sparrow's naming follows the standard Blow naming scheme in Japanese, but that doesn't translate too well into English.

In Japanese, Death Blow is "Fierce Deity Blow" (kishin no ichigeki) and Darting Blow is "Flying Swallow Blow" (hien no ichigeki). Swift Sparrow is the combination of the two as "Fierce Deity Flying Swallow Blow" (kishin hien no ichigeki), but the English equivalent "Darting Death Blow" sounds kind of weird.

9 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Brave Battler 1/2/3: B Skill. While this unit has HP > 90/70/50%, both sides will always perform a follow-up attack during combat involving this unit. (the anti-Wary Fighter)

On this vein, I think this one from Jugdral would be stupidly fun:

Duel: Melee-range units only, passive B. When this unit has HP ≥ 90/80/70%, combat continues for 5 total rounds.

28 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Swift Sparrow's naming follows the standard Blow naming scheme in Japanese, but that doesn't translate too well into English.

In Japanese, Death Blow is "Fierce Deity Blow" (kishin no ichigeki) and Darting Blow is "Flying Swallow Blow" (hien no ichigeki). Swift Sparrow is the combination of the two as "Fierce Deity Flying Swallow Blow" (kishin hien no ichigeki), but the English equivalent "Darting Death Blow" sounds kind of weird.

On this vein, I think this one from Jugdral would be stupidly fun:

Duel: Melee-range units only, passive B. When this unit has HP ≥ 90/80/70%, combat continues for 5 total rounds.

I too, welcome our 0 spd, 0 atk, 0 res overlords that nonetheless 1RKO everyone. (100 hp/50 defense sounds like a fair stat distribution, right?)

Kappa.

24 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I would personally like, on Morgan (or Robin),

Rally Spectrum:

C-skill. All rallies now increase Atk/Spd/Def/Res by 4. Can't be inherited.

i'm imagining this being used on Nino or any Blade tome user and weeping

58 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

Skills that take affect after a kill, like Lifetaker or Peri's personal (+4 Str/Spd/Skl/Spd after kill, ends after on next player phase).

good additions, both go with the survivability theme which i am very grabby hands for. and dancing someone after they activated Peri's personal, mmm..now i'm imagining a janky ardent sacrifice + desperation unit with 3 wings of mercy dancers so that they can go sweep a whole team. dance to ardent sacrifice multiple times so wings of mercy can trigger. probably not efficient but so much fun if it worked. Nino, again, a good candidate there.

37 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

A few more:

Aura Extend: Staff only, passive B. This unit's passive C skill has its range extended by 1.

• Hone, Fortify, and Spur skills have their range extended to 2.
  • Breath of Life has its range extended to 2.
  • Threaten skills have their range extended to 3.
  • Savage Blow has its range extended to 3.

Aura Boost: Staff only, passive B. This unit's passive C skill has its stat-affecting effect increased by 4/7/10% of this unit's corresponding stat (excluding buffs). Examples:

• A unit with Aura Boost 3, Hone Spd 3, and 30 Spd would give +7 Spd (4 + 30 x 10% = 4 + 3 = 8) instead of +4 Spd when activating Hone Spd 3.
  • A unit with Aura Boost 3, Threaten Atk 3, and 40 Atk would inflict -9 Atk (5 + 40 x 10% = 5 + 4 = 9) instead of -5 Atk when activating Threaten Atk 3.

Wide Range: Staff only, passive B. When attacking with a staff, the after-battle effect is also applied to enemies within 1 square of the target.

always in support of more options for healers being added. they're in such a bad spot...the threaten skill extension sounds real nice - a way to debuff a ranged unit without having to take a hit. the idea of skills interacting with and enhancing other skills in general is pretty neat.

33 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

I have a few, that probably aren't that good, but here you go:

Parity: Special Skill, Always Active. Prevents enemy units from decreasing their Special Skill cooldown or activating their Special Skills when in combat with this unit. (It's basically sacrificing a Special Skill to prevent enemy Specials from being used against you... though stuff like the AoE skills would still proc against this unit since they happen before combat starts... Probably not that great in practice, but still)

Copycat: Command Skill. Allows this unit to copy the Special, A, B and C skills of an ally unit through their next combat, after which they revert to their original skillset. Allows this unit to gain skills not normally available to their weapon type. (Was thinking of how Xane could work when I made this. The skill-copying would overwrite the skill-slots, and would render skillslots empty if the unit being copied did not have skills in those slots. Doubt this would be useful, but maybe?)

your Parity sounds like Ice Dragon's Fortune :P on the vein of the original Parity, i can also see it being like "While in combat, all buffs and debuffs on this unit and the opposing unit are ignored." perhaps a bit of both, just ignore all the things! what are skills and bonuses?!

Brave Battler, so if a melee unit has this and a ranged attacks them, they get a free followup? and vice versa with ranged unit having it and a melee attacking them. i'm too much of a scaredy player to use this, even Life or Death makes me feel uneasy pff

oh man i forgot all about Xane. i can see this being useful - especially for some of the rarer and coveted skills out there like Close Combat and Distant Counter. i feel like there's some clutch situations it could come in handy, but requires some forethought and careful planning. i would say what if he could copy stats from another character, but this would either be broken and/or just boring

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to have a variant of the Equip Change skill that was avalaible to Chemists in Final Fantasy Tactics.

• Slot: green shield.
  • Effect: unit can reassign his/her skills. Self only.

It would probably have a negative impact on defense wins in the Arena. Oh well.

Maybe a C skill that allows the unit to "assume" a given % of an adjacent allies stat boosts (25%/50%/75%, round down) during battle?

So if an adjacent ally has a +4 speed boost, the skill user would gain +1 Speed during combat at the first level, 2 at the second and 3 at the third.  

It's a C skill to avoid having it and a Hone/Fortify on the same unit.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I have a few:

Weapons:

Mjölnir- Accelerates special trigger (Cooldown-1)

Passives:

Wrath- Special trigger accelerates when HP <= 75%

Quixotic- Reduces special trigger to 1 for both unit and foes if HP >= 75%

Specials:

Fury Balm- When healing ally with a staff, cooldown -1 to all allies. Cooldown: 1

Assists:

Canto- Move a number of spaces less than the amount already moved after any combat this unit initiates. Restrictions: Cavalry units only.

Equalize- HP of target ally and this unit become equal to ((HP1 + HP2) / 2)

Boots: Armor only - Move +1

Retreat: If an enemy attacked this unit and lowered their health below 50%, this unit can move that enemy's move +1

Run Down: If an enemy is below 50% health and one tile outside of this unit's attack range, this unit may move up to a tile and attack that unit.

Safeguard: Halve out of battle damage effects on this units (Fury, AoE spells, Poison Strike, Savage Blow)

Riposte: When this unit is attacked, it starts the battle with -1 on its Special Trigger

Corrosion: Special Trigger 3 - The enemy that attacked this unit has their weapon unequiped until the end of their next turn.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Assists:

Canto- Move a number of spaces less than the amount already moved after any combat this unit initiates. Restrictions: Cavalry units only.

Wouldn't this have to be a passive skill for it to work?

Some old skills...

On 2/11/2017 at 2:56 PM, Sire said:

Some of these are copies from the Create-A-Hero Thread.

Special Skills (Active or Charge Skills)

Radiant Aether (Resolve combat as if foe suffered Def/Res-50%. Unit recovers HP=half damage dealt. || Charge Cost: 4)
-- An upgraded form of Aether, designed for (hypothetical) Ike. The difference here is the charge cost, being -1 cost from normal Aether.

Talis Solis (Heal 70% of damage dealt. || Charge Cost: 5) ["Great Sol" or "Great Sun," at least that is what Google Translate tells me.] 
-- An upgraded version of Sol for one of my original characters.

Adept (Add an additional strike to your attacks. || Charge Cost: 4)
-- Adapted from Radiant Dawn. Allows the user to "strike again" during normal attacks. So, if activated during the first hit, the "Adept Strike" will follow the first hit, the enemy counters, followed by the second normal strike. This skill would be ridiculous on brave weapon users and probably won't be found on them.

Master (Immediately strikes the opponent. || Charge Cost: 4)
-- An upgraded form of Adept but allows for the unique ability to "immediately strike" the opponent instead of waiting for a normal strike to trigger. Examples include striking the opponent in the middle of their Brave Attack or at the end of normal combat.

Rend Heaven (Adds half of enemy ATT as damage. || Charge Cost: 3)
-- Adapted from Fates. Originally it adds half of enemy STR or MAG, but as Heroes simplifies it to the ATT stat, ATT is used instead.

Passive Skills

Rightful King (Reduces Charge Cost of Special Abilities by 1.)
-- Adapted from Awakening. As Heroes uses a charge system instead of percentages, reducing charge cost makes sense here. It probably could use a more generic name so it can be applied to more heroes, but I couldn't come up with one.

Quick Burn 1-2 (Start off the map with +[3-5] to all stats. The bonus wears off by one per turn.)
-- Adapted from Awakening, Quick Burn is a skill that rewards speedruns as its effectiveness wears off over time.

Slow Burn 1-2 (As each turn passes, gain +[1-2] to all stats. The bonuses wear off at the start of the forth turn.)
-- Adapted from Awakening, Slow Burn is a skill that slowly gains in power the longer the map lasts. However, all bonuses are lost after a certain threshold.

Some new skills...

A Slot = = = = =
Battle Ready (Adds +2 to the Special Cooldown Charge at the start of the battle.)
Makes units ready up their special skills at the start of each map. For example, Aether is a 5 charge skill. With Battle Ready, Aether will start out needing only 3 charges to activate. // Note that this does not change the actual charge. Once the ability is activated, it will need to be charged up like normal. Continuing the example, if Aether is used, it will need the 5 full charges again to proc despite its early usage due to Battle Ready. || Another example is Moonbow, a 2 charge skill. With Battle Ready, Moonbow is ready for activation immediately.

War Staff (Allows staves to deal their full damage. Staff users only.)
Makes Healers viable in dealing damage.

Sealing Staff (Allows the usage of Seal skills. Staff users only.)
Allows Staffies to equip Seal skills in their B slot passive by sacrificing their A slot passive.

B Slot = = = = =
Combat Healer
(Allows the usage of offensive Special skills. Staff users only.)
Allows Staffies to use offensive skills such as Luna and Sol. Works best when combined with War Staff.

Disengage (Stops combat and retreats one space away from the opponent after the first strike. Melee weapon users only)
Has a variety of uses. It can act as a hit and run for a "free attack" before retreating, or help keep the unit alive when on the defensive. // Note due to the nature of this skill that it will be difficult for the unit to retaliate as the hero only disengages and retreats from the enemy after being hit once. The only exception is if the unit cannot disengage as the tile behind the unit is impassable, thus allowing normal combat to take place.

C Slot = = = = =
Bond (Grants allied units with the Bond skill within 2 spaces ATT/SPD/DEF/RES+2 during combat.)
As Bond acts as a “Spur” skill, a full Bond team will grant allies +6 to all stats during combat. // Needless to say, this skill requires at least 2 characters with Bond equipped on the same team to work. I would have made it a buff, but that feels like making (color)blade team extremely powerful despite the existence of the Flier and Cavalry super buffs.