Story DLC

I'm frustrated about that being a possibility as well, though I was glad Fates put both maps for Hidden Truths together for 1-1/2x price as opposed to two separate maps at normal price because it saved me like a buck that I promptly wasted on the Chrom Mii Fighter Costume for Smash. The bigger worry for me personally is that Series 4 DLC Wave, the one that a) is probably the only chance Nintendo might give us to prove that Cipher could get off the ground anywhere outside of Japan, and b) was notably ABSENT from the Season Pass that was supposed to give you ALL the DLC.

They might, but I highly doubt it. I know several elements of Fates have traumatized some of the fan base, but I think it may be better in the long run if you don't scare yourself silly with what may happen.

Fates' story was a disaster written by someone who had no business writing a sprawling multifaceted/interconnected story. And I'm not convinced most of the Hidden Truths stuff was even convinced before developing it aside from the awakening trio specifically.

Awakening meanwhile, only had some slight story stuff involved and was more just enhancing what was mentioned (the future in dissarray). And Echoes seems to stand well on its own from what can be seen; the story dlc for that will probably more be an excuse to help flesh out the cast even more rather than dumping 30 minutes of exposition on you that should have been in the main game

And aside from that I like to think IntSys isn't deaf and has heard about the complaints with Fates' nonsense. Pretty sure that's gotten vocal pushback on both sides of the pacific, yeah? I mean, again, Echoes' seems fine considering like 95% of it is newly written.

BUT YOU KNOW i guess this is all kind of moot because we dont even know anything about this. who knows, maybe it will be inexplicably story-lite across the board!

SoV is confirmed to have story DLCs which will explain what happens prior to the game's events so I guess this game would probably get story DLCs as well.

I guess it will be a recurring thing from now on.

As long as it is well executed, I don't mind it but I prefer to have the complete story in the game without a part of it being locked because of DLC.

17 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'm frustrated about that being a possibility as well, though I was glad Fates put both maps for Hidden Truths together for 1-1/2x price as opposed to two separate maps at normal price because it saved me like a buck that I promptly wasted on the Chrom Mii Fighter Costume for Smash. The bigger worry for me personally is that Series 4 DLC Wave, the one that a) is probably the only chance Nintendo might give us to prove that Cipher could get off the ground anywhere outside of Japan, and b) was notably ABSENT from the Season Pass that was supposed to give you ALL the DLC.

It seems that SoV will get a Cipher DLC as well.

If we get this DLC in the west, unlike the Hoshidan/Nohrian festival, and if that's well received I guess that we could get an another cipher DLC for FE Switch too.

Edited by Thunderstar

1 hour ago, Thunderstar said:

SoV is confirmed to have story DLCs which will explain what happens prior to the game's events so I guess this game would probably get story DLCs as well.

As long as it is well executed, I don't mind it but I prefer to have the complete story in the game without a part of it being locked because of DLC.

If we get this DLC in the west, unlike the Hoshidan/Nohrian festival, and if that's well received I guess that we could get an another cipher DLC for FE Switch too.

Yeah, the Echoes Cipher DLC was the one I'm worried about - I doubt they'll give us the 2 Maps in the set because Cipher is Japan-exclusive and it's big enough over there that they probably don't really feel any need to share with the rest of us, but I hold on to hope that they'll give it to us as a chance to prove Cipher would be successful over here as well.

I don't see the DLC ever being used to gauge interest in the card game unless the DLC is specifically about the card game some how. Like it goes out of its way to talk about it a lot rather than doing the more likely thing of just featuring the OCs who barely matter and will just make oblique references to what's going on. The DLC could come here and sell well, but it could sell just on the back of "here are some new units and maps to go with them." I don't see them seeing a success there as a go ahead to start bringing over the like what 800 cards that all need to be localized and manufactured?

e: If anything, at best its like thunderstar says: they'll put out a few cipher maps in games going forward as an excuse to cannonize the ocs or something.

Edited by r_n

8 hours ago, Thunderstar said:

I thought only some character backstory DLCs were announced. Though I guess that is also something I'm not the happiest about either.

I highly doubt anything shown in the dlc will be any more significant than, say, any of the scramble maps. Echoes itself has supports, base conversations and some weird memory system to delivery character details, this is just presumably adding on to that alongside giving a little more motivation to whoever ontop of the stuff is provided.