Super Robot Wars ∀: Deep Space IC Thread - Part 2: Of Dire Tides

Xinnidy

Abigail had made a wrong turn and ended up visiting the cold storage room, but thankfully hadn't stayed long enough for it to be any sort of problem. Wouldn't that have been just the way to go? Accidentally lock herself in and freeze to death, after everything else she'd survived? So far the halls were empty too, no awkward questions asked or explanations needed. Maybe everybody had their own ideas for recreation anyway, and the little get together at the pool would remain small and intimate. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Wrapped up in thoughts like that, Abby rounded the right corner this time, and oh, well, um... There was Jess, and someone else already. Who was that? Slowing down a bit as she put the puzzle pieces together, it suddenly dawned on her. The speech pattern and build had ruled out nearly everyone, but the transformation was such that it was a little hard to believe. Rather than the squinty, severe look of someone intently scrutinizing something, Seung-Min's more casual, unguarded appearance had quite the softer quality to it. The swimsuit certainly helped of course. Huh, so Lieutenant Kim could look like this when she wasn't wrestling unruly soldiers to the ground? Bet she just gets even prettier when she smiles, too. While Abigail'd never really caught that whole, yellow fever thing, it was quite apparent the officer would certainly do a number on any who had.

And Jess's suit... no a comparison really wasn't fair at all. It kind of looked like something she would have worn when she was 12. Cute and innocent, ripe for the teasing. A far cry from the grown-up sophistication of the lady engaging her in conversation, but lovely in its own way.

Which left just herself. In street clothes, painfully out of place. But what she lacked in gear, she could make up for with guts. That's the spirit! Despite the fact that she was walking into a conversation clearly about herself, Abigail remained undaunted. The best defense was a good offense. "Jess, I'm hurt! Here we'd planned this out and you went and invited everybody else?" She turned to Kim and apologized, "No offense, I'm sure we'll have a great time together, maybe even get you to feeling glad I'm on board too, right Captain?"

Edited by Balcerzak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh!

"Bwah! Abby, you... What are you wearing?" She really didn't have any options for swimming... It was a good thing Jess planned ahead. "Here," she started, handing over two closehangers with bikinis attached. Top and bottom, of course. "See if one of these fits you. You'll probably be a lot more comfortable swimming in actual swimwear instead of... Well, that. Jeans shorts beats nothing, but..." Denim was probably very uncomfortable when wet. Jess didn't want to think about such an unpleasant feeling. 

And with that out of the way, "time to go in. There's change rooms inside, Abby, so you don't have to go all the way back to your room. Time to go relax in the hot tub again~" Jess hopped through the door and hummed her way over to one of the poolside chairs, setting her towel down and then wandering towards an empty hot tub to get it started. Let's see if this whole new me thing extends to the issue I had last time I was here...

Jessica's explanation was rather simple, but it was to the point and from the heart. Abigail just didn't seem like a bad person, huh? Things had worked out so far, and the Captain seemed to have a knack for this sort of thing, at least for now her instincts had a positive track record, no reason to lambaste them now. Speak of the devil, and she shall arrive, Abigail turning a corner and walking over to the duo, echoing her own sentiment from earlier, funnily enough. Perhaps Kim hadn't been so far off the mark, after all. Seeing Jessica hand Abigail two swimsuits to try on before making for one of the hot tubs, Seung-Min called after her, intent on driving the point home for a bit of a laugh.

"Tell you, Jessica. Bad form invite crew to swim date!" The Lieutenant noted, letting out a light chuckle before looking back over to Abigail.

"Captain decision seem odd to lot people, but no reason not to trust her. Willing put reputation on line for you, so I willing give benefit doubt. Christina end up good, Nikolai... odd, not turn on us. No reason not give you same chance."

It was good to know the ANF personnel here weren't especially clingy in this instance. Tonya really didn't like the idea of sitting around waiting for Rex's next move, not while having absolutely no idea where he was. Firmia was another matter, but Tonya was sure there was some angle she could use to convince the girl to part with the demonstrator for a little while. Frankly, Tonya was content flying out of here in a scout chopper if it came to that, so long as she was mobile. She could figure out the rest along the way.

Roxanna's suggestion to Brant was curious. She probably wanted to know more about the Alkaev's secrets, so that when the time came, and Rosa came down on them legally, they'd have some leverage to work with. It wasn't really necessary, though. Not with Rex's notes. Those weren't really evidence, but they still held more coherency and detail than anything Brant would have to offer. It was intense research compiled into thousands of entries versus any hints of corruption Brant could remember off the top of his head. That didn't mean Tonya was sure they should just hand the elder Abrams sibling's library of evil over to the ANF just yet, but it would almost certainly prove useful at some point in the future.

The XO quickly returned to the subject of the rooms, post pool party announcement, promising to see to the matter. She also planned to set aside a room for Tonya, despite the pilot's travel plans. Tonya shrugged with a smile. "If you insist."

So the only pilot on standby was the android that was missing a leg. Firmia couldn't help but wonder how Apotheosis would react with that kind of useful information. Surely they'd come back, guns blazing, if it meant they could catch a good portion of the crew off guard and deal significant damage. If nothing else, they could wipe out the salvage teams before anyone aboard the Riese could blink, and then put a few dents in the ship itself and fall back for a time. The first mobile suit might not even have its feet on the ground before they were gone. Firmia supposed there must be more to Apotheosis and their technology than what they were seeing. They had impenetrable barriers, but hardly ever used them. They could teleport, but hardly ever did so. They seemed to be everywhere, but individual incidents, based on what she'd heard, were far from countless.

She was too sleepy to figure this out, right now. The fact Firmia was even considering the pool invitation was initially baffling to her. She caught up with her brain soon enough. There was at least one benefit to attending, such as conversing with the captain in a less formal setting. It wasn't that different from discussing business arrangements over a game of golf or having a nice chat over lunch. It was different in some ways; some, if not all of the pilots from the meeting would be there. Doubtless they would be distracting the captain from the discussion at times. What was the point, then? Wouldn't it be better to speak with her in private? Even so, another situation could come up at any time. The sooner she got everything settled here, the better.

Christina couldn't have known Firmia's only reason for going would be to speak with the captain about various things. The suggestion to chat with the others was thoughtful, but unless they were important in a political or business sense, or wanted something from her, Firmia didn't have any reason to engage them. In general, enjoying herself with others around was all but impossible, so that was out, but if she couldn't keep the captain's attention, or if she wrapped things up quickly, Firmia could definitely see herself relaxing by the pool, at least for a little while.

"Alright, fine," Firmia reluctantly agreed, "but I need a backup plan." She'd said that aloud without really meaning to. "I need to find a stim, and then I need to go grab Tonya and Sasha. At least if the captain's too busy or something like that, I can catch them up."

Elaine, surprisingly, was already in the women's changing rooms, having not entirely noticed those who had entered or exited at the time. She had just finished getting on her swimsuit and placing her outfit back into her locker. It wasn't that extravagant of a swimsuit, rather basic for someone so loud and abrasive. It was a one-piece, a rather covering one that went up to her neck, and showed nothing of her torso. It was made of Nylon, a much more comfortable alternative to the many spandex suits out there, which Elaine appreciated it. After all, those sorts of suits were always prone to chafing, but this one was just right, not too tight to constrict her, but not too loose either. It was something that she had picked out with Jane, and represented a fond memory of shopping with her.

Elaine stepped out of the room, through the hallways, and to the pool, where a few people awaited her. Jessica and Kim were wearing some rather...unique looking bikinis, Kim's being far more out there than the captain's. Elaine's eyebrow raised, wondering just where she could have gotten something like that, especially a military soldier. Though, she supposed personal life such as expensive swimsuits weren't too big of an issue. Abigail was also there, but Elaine tried to pay her no mind, as well as the fact that she showed up in casual clothes instead of swimwear. She probably didn't have a swimsuit of her own, considering she was pretty much a captive, and despite tensions between the two, Elaine wasn't gonna make fun of that.

Wordlessly, Elaine found a bench to lay her towel on, and started a little bit of stretching. Then, with one single sprint, Elaine jumped, and dived straight in. The water was cold, as pools usually were, and refreshing. All the heat that had been built up over the entire day just seemed to melt away, as the cool temperature overtook her. Elaine surfaced, letting herself float for a moment as she closed her eyes and absorbed everything. The wet surface, the sound of splashing and flowing water, all that was missing was the open air. This...this was peace. Peace of mind and body.

Abigail graciously accepted the proffered hangars, and watched Jess practically twirl around and prance through the door to the pool. Wait, was that... a tattoo? She'd need to take a closer look later, hadn't pegged the captain to be the inking type.

"Sure thing boss, much appreciated," she offered toward the retreating figure, then turned back to Kim, who tossed in a final sportive remark of her own. Hmm, tag team teasing might be fun sometime, Abby was sure they could play off each other nicely after they got to know each other better.

"I'd appreciate that very much," the rebel captain nodded, and offered her free hand to shake. "I'll try not to squander that chance. Now... you've got good style, which do you think better suits me? The red... or the black?" Abigail fished for opinions as she passed each of the hangars in front of her form briefly. "I guess if only one fits, that'll settle things, but if there's an option..."

A splash from the pool broke the silence she'd been trailing off into, and she instinctively turned her head to look. Oh, Elaine... well, yeah, hopefully she wouldn't start anything and they could leave each other alone until the morrow. After that it wouldn't matter. Everything would be settled, as far as Abby was concerned.

Astin had left Juria happily working on the stimulations and more were standing outside a door, staring at it. The thought of going swimming had entered their mind but they knew they would just be using it as an out from what they really needed to do. Just knock already. You know she'll be happy to see you. Just knock dammit. This is a good thing to do and you know it. What are you so scared of? Being vulnerable with someone? Come on... Ugh. 

They turned away from the door and started to walk away. A few paces away from the door, they stopped and let out a heavy sigh. Turning around and squaring their shoulders with a determined look on their face, they marched up to the door and knocked.

"... Doctor? Are you in there? Could I come in?"

Accepting the offered hand and giving it a firm shake, Kim looked over the two suits and appraised them as Abigail asked for an opinion. Both were of simple make, classics in their own right, and either option would pair well with Abigail's blonde locks and gently tanned skin, although...

"Both good, but think red pair better with hair and skin tone. Black strong neutral but red accent Abigail natural... Warm summer look? At least that what I think."

Edited by Balcerzak

Let me Relaaaaaaax

"It's not a date!" she bit back, sighing and getting into the hot tub. Elaine's splash made her jump a bit, not expecting such a... Violent start to swimming, but diving fit the girl to a T. Jess slowly rolled over and rested against the edge of the jacuzzi, staring at Kim with a small pout. "Abigail wanted to go swimming, and I offered to come with to make sure nothing happened with any of the crew... And then I figured, as long as I'm here, everyone else that wanted to could as well, and I could stop any problems from happening. So it's not a date. Let me soak without all that teasing. I'm supposed to be here to de-stress, not re-stress..." Jess stuck her tongue out and closed her eyes, getting comfy on the edge of the thing. "Just... Make sure I don't fall asleep in here... Almost drowned last time."

Backup?

"Huh? A backup plan...? Like... If the crew's too annoying, or whatever? If you need someone to talk you, you can bug me... I don't mind. It's kinda nice having someone to talk to that's not... N-Never mind. Anyway, I'll see you there. Feel free to get yourself setup, or whatever." Christina had no plans to swim, even thinking on it now, the hot tub plan sounded like a mistake if Kim was around... She sighed to herself and walked off, figuring out what she was going to wear.

And with her ensemble set, she snuck herself into the pool, trying not to draw attention from the people already there... Kim, the captain, Abby, Elaine. The usual customers. None of the guys were there yet, huh. Were they just too busy? Or did they think this was girls only because it had been the captain calling it in? Well, there weren't that many guys on board, anyway... How many were even adults? Brant, Thorvald, that ensign... Did Nikolai count? He was scrawny enough to be a child, but maybe he was just small. Tarquin probably didn't care. Buck was fixing stuff... I guess it makes sense. Thorvald's old, and Brant doesn't want to be surrounded by girls. Shrugging it off and creeping over to the chairs, Christina laid herself down on one and made sure that big blue shirt she'd grabbed went all the way down to her knees.

No Smoking

Cheryl answered the door personally this time, looking a bit annoyed, but it wasn't at Astin. She'd had a talk with Tarquin, and ever since, she hadn't wanted to smoke. She'd felt like it, for damn sure, but there was something about that chat that was making her hold off on lighting up. "The doctor's in. Don't think we've ever had a chance to speak, Doyle. I'm Cheryl Hart, you can call me Cheryl or Doctor Hart. Either's fine. If you're coming for a private visit, feel free to make yourself comfortable." Cheryl turned and shook her head a bit, trying to calm down the scowl on her face. She'd just have one after Astin left... That's all. She could make it that far, right?

Wants and Needs

Cheryl had snuffed her cigar before Tarquin got over, and jammed a piece of gum into her mouth. Normally she wouldn't bother, but he was fourteen. No need to breath smoke on him while he was still growing. He seemed so nervous, coming over that fast. Did he think she was here to get after him for something? No, no, it was far more simple than that. She smirked before he arrived, shaking her head a little bit.

"I saw you talking with the Russians when I came in. Are you getting used to socializing around here, Tarquin?" It really had been interesting to see him initiate the talk. When he'd first come to speak with her, he seemed afraid to approach things. Whoever Elaine was had presented him a severe setback, no matter what instigation he'd done to her. But, it seemed like he was feeling much better, now. Enough to try and speak with Brant, at least.

Tarquin slowed his approach as Cheryl, cautiously stepping to a halt as she began her musing. He was still skeptical about the purpose behind her request to meet him, there was no telling what plans and trains of thought were inside her head. She did raise a valid point though, his approach of Brant and his Russian comrades had been far easier than the initial introductions at the Dry Lake base. He couldn't really credit it to an active effort, he didn't feel like he was trying any harder to mingle with the others. If anything, he'd been trying less, it just seemed to happen.

"I cannot say that it has become particularly natural, but with common interests and a common goal it appears that I feel like less of an outsider." Tarquin replied, taking a sniff of the air - he could still smell the smoke on Cheryl. "If I am to work with Lieutenant Abrams' associates, it would make sense not to avoid interaction with them."

He still had his own secret, he hadn't even been able to divulge it to Nikolai. He was under strict orders to keep his background to himself, but with how much Nikolai had told him about himself, as well as how much Thorvald had tried to gain insight into it, keeping such a big secret was starting to become difficult.

"Doctor Hart? Can I ask you a question?" Tarquin asked, looking up at her curiously. "How do you know if you can trust someone? I've always assumed that people will follow instructions for a mutual benefit around me, but how does it work with social matters?"

"Good~ Very good, Tarquin. I'm really proud of you. Off the record, I was quite worried about you... You came to my office with some big fears, but even if it it's natural for you yet, it pleases me to see you pushing yourself. Good work." Maybe he'd take that as patronizing, he did seem quite like a little adult. Would praising him too much be a bad thing? She couldn't hide her smile either way, even more pleased when he bothered to ask her another question.

"Sure? ... Hmm. How do you know if you can trust someone, eh...?" Cheryl tapped a finger against her chin, giving it her own spin. She trusted just about everyone on the ship, except Megumi, probably. The woman was too guarded for her own good.

"Well. I think what makes a person trustworthy is how wiling they are to share themselves with you. Some people have secrets that they want to keep, and that's fine. But, think about the captain, for a moment. Would you trust someone like her? While she's not quite perfect captain material, she goes out of her way to wear her heart on her sleeve. She might be meek about it, but I think she does a good job. And I'd trust someone like that. I'm sure there's one or two secrets she has wrapped up in her head, but... Well, all secrets come out to good friends eventually."

"Does that help you any?" she asked, folding her arms gently, again. "Really, though... When it comes to social matters, just trust your friends. Like that Nikolai fellow. I'm glad you have someone you can turn to, even if he's a bit estranged from the world."

Tarquin wasn't entirely sure what he was being praised about, Cheryl seemed content with something about his behaviour, but he was struggling to evaluate it for himself. He gave her a curious gaze in return, waiting as she trailed into responding to his question.

Whether he trusted Jess or not was a very good question in itself, although it did make him ponder the answer for himself. Jess had shown herself as a bleeding heart, he couldn't quite comprehend her sentimentality at times. As much as he'd appreciated the rescue on the colony, he couldn't have said he would have done the same thing in her situation. Whilst she did have a stammer that made Kim's English seem fluent in comparison, she seemed to have a way of keeping everything functioning. He couldn't say he entirely trusted her in all domains, but he would be hard pressed to choose an alternative captain.

"I think it makes sense, but I think there are different things you can trust different people with." Tarquin replied, still not entirely certain if he fully understood the concept of trust. It seemed to be far greater than just being able to tell people things, but he was struggling to trying and form a coherent definition in his head. "I trust Nikolai, and I think he trusts me... I'm not sure if he trusts many people though. I have to ask a question... do you trust me? You know all my secrets, but I don't know very much about you. Does that mean I shouldn't trust you?"

"Good. Very good..." She smiled again. If he could tell that much, he would definitely be fine. "I think Nikolai is a very good influence on you, in some aspects. I have to sit down and speak with him myself, but it's good that you can trust each other. And of course I trust you. Should I have reason not to?" She chuckled to herself, pondering a moment on if he should be able to trust her.

"Hmm... It'd be nice if you could trust someone that knows where you're from. And I would ask that you trust me in the office... But as a person, I suppose you wouldn't think me trustworthy, considering the circumstances. Well, we can even that out. Is there anything you want to know about me? Anything that will help you trust me more, to your own personal standards. However you feel about things." That would be a good test for him. What would he ask for? Would he ask for anything? It was interesting watching Tarquin grow, especially considering the circumstances of his existence.

The responses Tarquin got from Cheryl always seemed to produce more questions than they answered. Nikolai had helped him escape his own self-imposed isolation, even if the boy wasn't exactly the most polite or threatened to use his own excrement as a projectile. His own behaviour was probably very predictable, and considering his lack of nefarious motives, it was probably safe for Cheryl to trust him. On the flip side, her own motives still baffled him. She seemed to trying to correct his atrocious social abilities, but was the modest improvement in performance really worth all the effort she was putting in? He couldn't find an answer for her first question, his face showing his perplexed contemplation. However, there was one thing on his mind.

"I have one question. When you've tried to help someone... has ever not worked? What do you do when that happens?" Tarquin asked, curious to Cheryl's own motivations. Was she some sort of miracle worker who fixed the lives of everyone around her, or were there times where she simply couldn't help? Psychologists statistically could aid perhaps half of their patients, apparently the nature of their clients meant change was difficult. Cheryl was probably aware of that, but did she believe that he was in the half she could help?

"What do I do, hmm?" What an odd question for him to ask. Did he have someone in mind, or was he just curious as to the outcome of failure? She didn't know, but it wouldn't do to play around the question. "I keep trying to help them. I only stop trying to help someone when they stop wanting to help themselves... As long as someone's coming through my door, until I can see their problems aided, I'll keep doing everything I have to. As for the people that stop walking in?"

She sighed, looking up at the ceiling. There had been plenty... Not for any lack of effort on her part, but the human condition was always the most difficult. "I try to make followups... Some people just can't be helped. They give up on themselves so much, that they don't to try and fix their problems. It's sad... But it's how some people are. I suppose my job isn't very happy, at the end of the day, is it?" She smiled wryly, stuffing a hand into her pocket and fiddling with a a cigar. She was feeling the urge to have another puff, and that question had certainly gotten to her. Can't save them all. Right, Charlotte? Geez... You really got me good, Tarquin.

The level of professional altruism that Cheryl showed was completely alien to Tarquin. He'd never seen anyone push themselves so far to benefit other people - most professionals he'd been exposed to very much had their own agendas. He wasn't entirely sure whether it were a requirement or her work or simply a virtue that she possessed innately. Even he couldn't miss Cheryl's discomfort responding to his last question, but he was hard pressed to find a suitable response to it. His expression remained puzzled, comprehension of the adult world was eluding him yet again.

"If your job doesn't make you happy, why do you do it? You could do something else if you wanted, psychology can be applied to several other career pathways." he replied, comparing his statement to his own railroaded path. He was born to be the perfect soldier, so far he'd been attempting to live up to it and inevitably... he'd continue until he was no longer needed.

"Because... You really like asking the hard questions, don't you?" She cocked an eyebrow and smirked at him, but eventually sighed. "Because I want to see people happy. Isn't that stupid? Hard doctor, smokes, tries to act aloof and distant. Really, I just want to have people not hating themselves at the end of the day, whether that be through their feelings towards themselves, their actions, their life. If I can make it better, that's good enough for me. Hope that isn't too cheesy for you, Tarquin." Cheryl  ran a hand through her hair and sighed, staring up at the ceiling.

"You really got me good."

Tarquin looked at Cheryl curiously, her answer didn't quite make sense - although he was quickly learning not everyone shared the same self desire to survive and succeed as he did. He could possibly see himself wanting to improve Nikolai's life, along with that of the Professor... and it wasn't as though he would actively choose to make people suffer. Cheryl's explanation of her exterior made sense, and he saw parallels with his own mentality. He couldn't just blame his lack of social experience, he'd actively chosen to stay away from people because it kept him safe. Or at least he considered that he'd been safer without exposure to other people.

"I did not intend to cause you discomfort, but you seem to understand what you want to do." Tarquin replied, still processing  the concept of this caring kindness. "What is the best way for me to do things? I don't think I can help people with problems like you can, should I keep doing as I'm told so my superiors are happy too?"

"Hah, I'm fine. You might've rustled my feathers, but it'll take a lot more than that to upset me. And you? You seem like you've had a long life of listening to others. Why don't you listen to yourself, to start with?" She took out her cigar, pondering it for a moment, but mostly fiddling with it in her hand instead of lighting it. "What does Tarquin want? Does he want to listen to his superiors, or does he want something else in his life? I know the circumstances of your creation, but your brain's all human. Wants and needs are a part of everyone's life. But, don't ask." She wagged a finger at him, smirking.

"What you want from life is something you have to figure out. You can figure it out with others, but no one else can tell you what you want... You're only fourteen, anyway. You've got plenty of time to figure out what it is you want in life." As long as we all survive this ridiculous war.

How much time he had left was a mystery to Tarquin, there was almost no telling where he'd end up. Almost ironically, the hardest decision to make was whether he wanted to make his own choices or not. He didn't want to be the ANF's genetically modified attack dog, but without the ANF he had nothing. No home, no family, all the people who he associated with belonged to the ANF. His freedom wouldn't come without a cost, and he was certain the higher ups in the ANF would have something to say.

"I don't think I know the answer yet." Tarquin replied, looking down. Cheryl had worked her way into his head. The more choice that he had, the more difficult it seemed to decide on one. "The meeting's starting soon, I should go now."

At least then he'd be dealing with somebody else's problems. It was far easier to make a decision on something when he wasn't personally involved.

To that, Cheryl smirked. Getting him to think more on his own self is its own reward. "Take your time, Tarquin. It's good to see you improving." She didn't hold him up further than that, glancing back at him as he went off to the latest meeting. "I wonder just how long it'll take for him to develop his own wishes... And I wonder what sort of raising he got. Maybe I'll get to meet them one day? Hah..."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

The frown on Cheryl's face was enough to give Astin more doubts about coming here, but they still followed her into the office and shut the door behind the two of them. Glancing around, they sat down on one of practical but comfortable chairs, fidgeting for a few seconds, staring at her. She seemed to be frowning less, so they gathered up the courage to speak. "I... Nice to meet you Cher, no, Doctor Hart." It seemed more fitting for some reason than calling her by her first name. They couldn't really explain why, but that was what they were going with.

Another deep breath, and they continued, "I... Well I haven't been sleeping well lately. Nightmares. And I went to the medbay to see if they would give me sleeping pills, but they said I should come talk to you instead... Something about the pills not fixing the problem. So I'd still have nightmares, I just wouldn't wake up. So... I guess I'm supposed to talk to you about stuff." How much is she going to want to know? Everything about the nightmares. But stuff in my past too? Probably... This was a bad idea.

Dismissed

"Good, then. You'll receive your electronic passes in a while. I'll let support know to contact you." That was easy enough. With Brant not really wanting to add anything else, the meeting was pretty much over then and there. "That's all." It was more than time to leave the meeting room... was ground crew doing well on their scavenging hunt? Perhaps it'd do well to contact them on the way to her room as well. So much to do...

---

The whole event seemed so silly and out of place, but Roxanna had to make sure things weren't going to get out of hand. What if it went for too long? She was self-aware enough to know her presence would make people feel a bit more uptight. Relaxing was fine and all, but they were still in dangerous territory, as much as they had just fended off an Apotheosis unit, their safety was only certain for the near future, if even that. At least the scavenging group could act as scouts if they were to face imminent danger, which was what made the whole idea passable.

Roxanna sighed, picking up her swimsuit for the occasion, a casual white monokini, covering a decent amount of her front, and adorned with a few frills. Perhaps she'd to better with a higher cut swimsuit from the basic ones provided by the rooming... but they were too basic. She was still a proud ex-captain. Roxanna could just wear her sundress over herself on the way to the pool, and so she did. Quickly finding a familiar captive not too far from the pool's entrance --making her way to the changing rooms presumably--, Roxanna couldn't help a small sigh. I don't get how she can trust people that easily... And there the pisqueak herself was enjoying some hot tub relaxing. "...I see you're enjoying yourself. I've warned the ground crew to be extra careful, in case a strange signal shows up." Roxanna had to make her presence known, after all, attempting to be neutral as could be... which wasn't much.

Well. That was strange. Did Christina not have any friends, after all? Her interest seemed to originate from over on her end of things. Firmia could relate, if that was the case. She could count the number of her own friends on one hand ... throughout her entire life. It wasn't a wholly unwelcome solitude. The friends she did have were near and dear to her. She was less vulnerable to attack, harder to distract from her goals, and was more comfortable confronting people when they needed confronting. It was just a shame that she had to get away from others to feel any semblance of good. The comfort of sleep and stillness would have to wait for a while longer, time enough for her to figure out whether or not she could truly ally herself with the ANF, and time enough to lay the situation for Tonya and Sasha. The latter would depend a great deal on the former.

Now there was this swimsuit situation to contend with. Firmia had a couple of them in her luggage ... not the more modest one she would have preferred, but her home was under attack at the time, so she could be forgiven for not tossing in every last swimsuit she owned. Technically, the swimsuits she had with her now were all that she owned. She felt like Russia herself had gone up in flames, somehow, and now she was stuck out here in the west with a bunch of weird soldiers, and even weirder terrorists. There was a modest option, but only in that it was a one piece. It was clearly meant to prompt the psychological response of a two piece.

Her swimsuit decided upon, Firmia made for the elevators to get back to the hangar. She not only needed to unlock the mobile suits, but also go retrieve that swimsuit. On second thought, did she really need to unlock the other two? The Regalia needed to be unlocked; it was unreasonable to effectively hold the suit hostage until she settled things with the captain, even if that wasn't what she was trying to do. It would come across that way, and that was the problem. With the Mantle and their speedy prototype, however, it was a matter of insurance, a way of buying time in case the mechanics on this ship turned out to be less trustworthy than Firmia suspected. They had probably already been poking around behind her back while she was at the meeting.

A funny thought occurred: What if one of them got locked inside a suit when Firmia sent the emergency lockdown? They would have had a few seconds to get clear of the cockpit, but a closing cockpit was normally nothing to worry about, even if it did happen for seemingly no reason. It was funny, because she could imagine the shifty mechanic's panic as none of his inputs overrode the lockdown and let him out. Eventually, after a bit of giggling, the annoying reality of such an outcome set in. If one of their own got locked inside the suit, they'd probably use that as an excuse the cut the thing open. Firmia gritted her teeth as she imagined the Regalia being broken into in the most violent way possible.

She had a moment, so Firmia decided to make a call on her way up to the hangar deck. <"Pick up, pick up ...">

<"Firmia? What's up?">

<"There you are! You heard the intercom, right? I want you and Tonya to go to the pool, too.">

Roxanna seemed to be done with them, and so she left, as well. Brant, Tonya and Sasha had the room to themselves ... and were probably being monitored, or at least recorded. Nothing new, really. When Sasha's phone beeped, all eyes were drawn to it, and Sasha began praying to every pagan god he could think of off the top of his head that it wasn't Rosa. It turned out, the caller was Firmia. <"Firmia? What's up?"> Sasha answered. He paused, then winced, as Firmia gave her mandate. <"We don't have anything to wear,"> Sasha gently reminded her. Another pause ... <"Oh you've got an extra one for Tonya? It's going to be a bit tight on her, don't you think?">

<"Are you saying I'm fat?">

<"Nice and thick where it counts~"> Sasha smirked at her. His eyes quickly flicked back to the tiny phone at his ear. <"No, Firmia, not you. That was a-- ... alright, fine, new subject ..."> He waited a moment while Firmia went on and Tonya snickered alongside Brant. <"Okay. Works for us ... ... uh huh. See you there. Bye."> Sasha shook his head as he pocketed his phone.

<"Sooo?"> Tonya tilted her head at Sasha, waiting for the update.

Sasha sighed. <"Firmia's going to have a word with the captain ... make some more formal arrangements. Since we work for her now, she wants us there with her. She's also got some information for us, so that should be interesting. Also Tonya, you're going in a stupid sexy bikini that's probably too small for you. Brant, make sure your swimming trunks are extra baggy. She said I should borrow some trunks from Brant or someone, but I'm just grabbing the one outfit I do have and going as is. Any questions?">

Teacher and student exchanged perplexed glances, then shook their heads at Sasha. Time to go, then.

"Mmmm," Abigail murmured in agreement. "I think you're right. And besides, you've got black covered very well, better not to even try to compete when I'm not going to win," she stuck out her tongue teasingly for a moment before quickly finishing with "Thanks," and darting into the changing room.

The fit was OK. Maybe a little tight if she were to take in a huge lungful of air, in preparation for a deep dive or something, or perhaps if she was doing something strenuous like racing a 100m butterfly, but those weren't really in the cards for the night anyway, at least, she'd certainly not been planning on anything of the sort.

Abby hadn't been paying much attention when the XO had arrived, so she was a bit surprised by her presence by the side of the hot tub upon exiting the changing room and making her way over towards it. The older woman was staring down at Jess, who'd been draping herself up against the lip, chest downwards, looking like she might melt and slide all the way in at any moment.

"Get in, or get out of the way," Abigail crooned playfully, slapping Roxanna lightly on her exposed back before sliding around her and slipping into the hot tub herself. The instant enveloping warmth prompted an unconscious sigh of bliss. "Ahhhhhhh, that's the ticket."

Thorvald had made a brief pitstop at the gym, picking up a beachball, and waving briefly at the pair too absorbed in their sims to really notice him. Then he'd arrived at the pool. So far a small knot was forming by the hot tub, not altogether unexpected, but Elaine was actually in the pool proper, so that was a good sign at least. Tossing the beachball at her head, he called out. "Hold onto that for me while I get changed, will you. If we don't get enough for a real game, at least do a few volleys with me once I get in, okay?" Then he made his way to men's changing room, to drop off his bag and finish getting ready.

Edited by Balcerzak

Nightmares

Doctor Hart, was it... Then this wasn't just stopping by to say hello. "Bad dreams, huh?" Cheryl slipped her pad onto her lap, pulling up Astin's file, and started taking notes. "They were right to send you here instead of issuing pills. And they were right. If these nightmares are constant, you'll just spend more time in them than being woken up by them. Restless sleep is barely better than no sleep at all... So thank you for coming to see me." She smiled, her earlier frustration all gone at this point. She was dealing with a client, there was no room for her smoking issues.

"Are you willing to tell me about these nightmares then, Astin? Sometimes it's best to get the cause of and issue out there, but I understand if you're feeling uncomfortable. Whatever these nightmares are, if they keep happening, they must be important to you. So... If you're not up to talking about them, we can start anywhere else you'd like. Ease you into conversation, instead of taking the dive. Which would you prefer?"

Sighs Aplenty

Jess felt compelled to match Abigail's sigh of relief, knowing exactly how she felt. The jacuzzi was just, the best. Even if Jess never spent a minute in that pool, she wouldn't regret it. She nodded at Roxanna, smiling. "Thanks, XO. I'll hop right out of here and captain in my swimsuit, if I have to. You've got nothing to worry about, promise." With that, she rolled back over and sunk up to her neck in the relaxing waters, paying careful attention to her own body... She wasn't getting the same sensation of drowsiness from the last time. Was that just because she'd been with Brant? How silly, if so... That a situation like that would have so much of an effect on her temperature.

"Hahhh," she sighed, looking over at Abigail. "So, did you wanna talk about anything, or are you here to relax?" Hopefully she wasn't about to join the Kim teasing camp, but she could handle it, if so... Probably.

Is everyone really going into the hot tub first? Oh well, more swimming room for me. She took a deep breath and dived underwater, once more. The sight was plain, as was any other swimming pool, with only the walls and floor of it to look at, save for the shadows and lights that danced across the floor because of the way the light reflected off the water. It was a sight Elaine had learned to appreciate, both as a child and an adult, for it had given her peace of mind many a time whenever she was feeling aggravated or tense, coupled with the feeling of being underwater.

Elaine swam down to the bottom of the pool, touching it with both her hands, then floated back up to the surface, releasing the air from her lungs. There had definitely been deeper pools than this, ones that Elaine was never able to get to the bottom of, but this one posed no challenge to her. It was almost disappointing. Back in both school and the military academy, whenever there was time off and they went to the pool, there was always a ccompetition of getting the lowest in a single stroke or dive, of which Elaine frequently came out on top, though not always. It was a game that she missed playing, though after coming back to Italy from Colony 2, no one...

No one really wanted to talk to me, anymore. She had arrived back at her Uncle Rob's house in Italy, welcomed home by him and Nico with open arms, several minutes of hugging, crying, and apologizing going by. But, she had mistakenly assumed that it would have been the same for all her old friends. In reality, none of them were delighted to see her back, and refused to explain themselves as to why they were avoiding her. Some were aggressive, others were evasive, but Elaine could gather why. No one wanted to deal with a criminal, pardoned or not. No one...

Elaine shook her head free those thoughts. This was a time for relaxation, not for dwelling. And it was time for some laps. Elaine swam, pacing her speed accordingly so as to not tire herself out, while still maintaining some semblance of speed. She was timing herself, as no one else was keeping track. 1 minute, 15 seconds. 1 minute, 19 seconds. 1 minute 20 seconds. 1 minute 18 seconds. 1 minute 12 seconds. 1 minute, 8 seconds (she had to catch her breath after that specific lap). She wasn't satisfied with her averages. Gotta get under a minute. Or a minute and 5 seconds at least. Gotta keep going. Gotta keep going...

And then a beach ball hit her head. While it didn't hurt, the thing being practically lighter than a feather, it did make her stop and look towards the culprit, albeit with more confusion than anger. Thorvald turned out to be the thrower, asking her to hold on to the thing while he got changed.

"You know, you already passed the changing rooms, so you didn't have to throw that at me," She called back with a chuckle. That certainly put a smile back on her face, and Elaine decided to oblige and keep the ball for now. They weren't sure if they could get a net, though.

Edited by Dandragon

It seems Abigail mostly agreed with her on red being the better choice, adding in a comment that she wouldn't win on black anyway before the woman moved to the change rooms, darting out moments later donning the red suit. It seemed to be a decent enough fit for Abigail, and as expected, she pulled the colour off well. Following her over to the hot tub, which seemed to be the most popular installation at the moment... both Jessica and Abigail had entered it, Roxanna was hovering on the outside, while only Elaine was in the large pool, and Christina was using the lounging chairs... with Thorvald's arrival, it seemed Elaine would have a partner in the pool after all. She would have to check on Christina in a moment, the girl having split herself off from the rest of them.

"Not too bad self, either. Does look good you. Also surprise see XO here... not seem like type."

Astin fidgeted some more, struggling to meet Doctor Hart's eyes, but nodding along. "I know they're right. I just... It would have been easier. That's all." She was probing, which of course she was, but it was still uncomfortable. Astin didn't know what else there was to talk about so they ended up just jumping into the deep end.

"It's... It's usually the same sort of thing. I start out piloting my mech... There's a beast on the horizon. A hydra. Apotheosis. I need to beat them. For... I need to beat them. Then it changes. Sometimes it's another mech showing up for me to fight... Sometimes it's me vs a mystery knight." They trailed off, pulling their knees up to their chest, hugging them tight.

"It... I had a friend. Killed in action. By the EU but everyone knew that Apotheosis warned the ANF to back off what they were doing or they would leak information. Well everyone on this site that Apoth used to leak info sometimes. The ANF didn't pull the men out. He... He died because of that. Because the ANF didn't.... Because Apoth leaked. And I know why the ANF didn't leave. But Apoth just did it to cause chaos." 

This was a tangent. Get back on course. "Err, so, mystery knight. We fight. I... I win. I kill him. And then his mask falls off and it's... It's my friend. And then I wake up." Their gaze was fixed solidly on the top of their knees by now. They knew all this probably sounded stupid and yet it was still all so hard to say. A revenge mission against a terrorist organization to avenge a friend. It was ridiculous.

Nikolai cocked his head to the side, furrowing his brow as he awkwardly pulled his hand away, his movements still slightly too stiff to come across as natural.

"I learn whatever I need to communicate. Is not problem..." He mumbled as he abandonned the thin-lipped smile that had been plastered on his face. Judging by the other boy's reaction, it was clear the expression was not having it's desired effect.

What should I do with my eyes? Should I stop staring? Then again, if I did that I'm certain that I could be caught off guard... and what does he mean by "here accidentally?"

"Is not so bad here..." he continued, trying for an air of non-nonchalant casualness and probably coming across as vaguely flat and apathetic instead, "I guess could say I am here by accident too. Should probably be with bullet in head instead, but that is how life goes sometimes da? Although I must admit I am curious as to why you would want simulation... fighting is not pleasant. Is loud and chaotic, much better to be in quiet ship even if full of annoying people... would you not agree?"

Crowded Tub

Jessica had been... less affected by her presence than Roxanna wished for, she wasn't even stuttering. "Hmm." I'd rather you not get out and issue orders like that. Maybe I could make a sprint for the bridge first. "Well, just make sure--"

A slap on her back caught Roxanna off-guard, the woman a bit jumpy at the gesture. T-The captive, who does she think she is? Getting touched by such a person, so casually... ugh. "Don't speak to me like that." Roxanna was a bit too flustered by the sudden contact to give her trademark scowl, sighing instead. "Honestly..."

"I am here... because I felt I should." Roxanna would explain herself following Kim's question but that could come out quite petty. Saying that she didn't trust the captain to hold a pool party that didn't last too long was a bit out of left field. Not unfounded, though, not at all. "In case anything happens." That was vague enough to work. "... Enjoy the hot tub." Roxanna had no plans to use it when that crowded, no. Instead, Roxanna's first order was to find a pool chair to leave her sundress on, a fairly simple piece to get out of. Hmm, can't get my hair wet, though. She moved to the edge of the pool, eyeing down the water, lowering herself to dip only her legs. O-oh... a bit cold.

Reason to Be

A bullet through a head... that was a way to get Makoto to think of the unpleasant. The mall back in colony 1 felt like a piece of hell, memories vivid enough to make him shiver, and he could've died with a heracles bullet through the cockpit, easily. "I... ah, y-you probably have a point." Makoto conceded. Nikolai was a bit intimidating and... just different, but he knew his stuff well enough. It wasn't really a privilege to serve and risk getting killed. "I... was thinking if maybe I could do something. A bit of a difference, you know? We don't really have a place to go back home for now, and my father is..." He bit his lip, "I don't know where, but Apotheosis took him. I figure maybe if I tried... maybe I could enlist later. Make a difference to find him." Did... did it make sense to them?

Edited by Xinnidy

Shortly after Abigail had settled into the hot tub, Jess had finished speaking her piece with the XO and had rolled over to face her now instead. The bubbles and the water obscured it a bit, but the former rebel caught a bit of a better glimpse of the curious mark from before. Was that, was that a barcode? Bad taste, Jessica, bad taste. Still, maybe there was a story to it?

Before she could ask however, the captain had opened with a question or two of her own, Roxanna had snapped at her friendly gesture, and the lieutenant had followed her over to the jacuzzi and offered compliments she really didn't deserve. Better to handle those first. "Aye aye, ma'am," she replied to the XO, the slight mockery intended was amplified by a forced salute, one that luckily didn't splash her with any water. That might have been a bit much. "Forgive the lack of proper deference." It was all she could do to keep the corners of her lips from curling into a smirk. Still, the wet blanket left them alone quickly enough, and without too much rain on their parade.

Kim was next then. "Geez. Flattery will get you everywhere. It's really a simple thing, not even mine so I shouldn't really be allowed to feel good about it, but thanks for buttering me up. You coming in? I think there should be room for one or two more without anyone being crowded skin-to-skin." Unless they wanted to be, of course.

As for Jess's questions, "Well, originally I was just gonna do a good soak, loosen up the muscles after a hard day's work, you know? But now, I'm kind of interested in taking in the sights too. You've got a lot of attractive people on board, Captain. You make that a requirement when you were hiring them?" Obvious jest was obvious, but it should at least get a laugh, maybe a blush if she was lucky. "As far as things to talk about, hmm... maybe. Actually, there is one thing... mind turning your back to me a moment?" After Jess agreed, with caveat, Abigail took another look. Definitely a barcode. Lightly running a finger along it, she asked, "What's the story with the UPC?"

Elaine poked a little fun at Thorvald for his slight detour, but he didn't mind. Shrugging it off with a smile and dismissive wave of the hand, he turned to enter the changing room. It just wouldn't have been the same if he'd held onto it the whole time. After donning his racing suit, considerably easier to move in than the more baggy trunks-styled swimwear, he quickly returned to the pool and made a light jump to the middle for a feet first entrance. A quick duck under for a full submerge, and then he surfaced again, shaking his head and wiping the water clear from his eyes. Okay, now he was good to go. Oh, when had the XO shown up?

"Looking good, Roxanna. You going to join us in tossing the ball around?"

Edited by Balcerzak

Nikolai nodded stiffly, biting his lower lip. He couldn't say that he exactly related to the idea of any familial bonds, or understand why anyone would bother to sacrifice themselves out of a misguided sense of duty towards someone merely because they happened to supply some DNA on a sweaty night, but there was something in the boy's tone that he understood.

The desire to keep another alive, to protect them. It was innately human, wasn't it. At least, it was certainly more noble than any chest puffing hero complex or simply drifting into battle like a little paper boat in a storm because it was where fate decided one would go.

Should I provide a shallow platitude here? Lie and say we're going to do our best to save him? To say you're sure he's alright?
What would you do, what would you say... it would be so much easier if I died instead of you. I'm sure you would know exactly what to do...

"Is noble goal..." He finally started, the words tinged with a melancholic sigh, "I can not say is possible or impossible, but is one I respect. I do not know much, but I know these people, as simple as they are, probably trying their best to help. I can too. I would not stop you, but is something you should think about da? Once you fall into place and become a tool of war, you can not go back to simple life... you become meat forever. Meat that they shoot at. Meat that shoots at other Meat. If that is risk you are willing to take, then so be it but, to sacrifice humanity in pursuit of goal is sad too."

Meaning

Cheryl let Astin speak without interruption, silently typing notes out onto the surface of her bad. Resentment, anger... Blame. Perhaps to themselves? Though, likelier sources are Apotheosis... And the ANF. Friend showing up as the mystery knight, and you end up killing them... Maybe... "What do you think, Astin?" she started, as they finished. "Do you think these fights hold any meaning to you? That, they're something you have to experience, defeat, or overcome? Or that... Maybe you blame yourself?" Which didn't really make sense to her, but trauma was difficult to explain. Maybe Astin blamed themselves because they weren't able to do anything at all, rather than being a direct cause. She'd prod elsewhere in a moment, but getting their own thoughts on what this all meant was probably better to start with.

Eep!

"We will~" Man, Roxy was as cold as ever, even at a pool. Jess hoped that she didn't freeze the main one over, that'd suck for anyone that wanted to use it. The thought made her snicker, but she dared not say it. Roxanna's mood seemed testy enough. She'd just have to talk to Abigail instead, who started of... Pretty strong. In a manner of speaking. "What, like... You mean, here? Or... 'Cause... It's all girls here... Unless you're that into older men." Jess had noticed Thorvald coming in, a bit curious, but not about to kick him out. He was like a chaperone more than anything. Seemed like he was trying to play around with Elaine some...

"Huh? Turn over...? Hmm... If you touch me, it's back into the brig with you." Jess gently rolled back over, wondering what was up with-- "Hiiiii--!" The tickling sensation of Abigail's finger made her flail and quickly turn over, blushing a pretty color. "I-I said no touch... UPC?" The gears took a moment to turn, before that red got a lot more intense. "No, way! There's no way that's still there! Ohhhh, no..." She'd never noticed... Had that really remained, over all these years? And it was just supposed to be some dumb joke, too... Uuuuuuuuuuugh... Leave it to me to never look at my own back. What the heck...

"Well, sure, I mean here. Elsewhere too, obviously, but we've already had a pretty good crop show up already. And man or woman, you can always admire a good looking body, no? Or are you trying to say--I really can't believe you would, but on the off chance you are--that you don't think the lieutenant here looks pretty?" Abigail cast a gaze up at Seung-Min, hoping, but not quite sure, that the other girl would chime in to back her up.

Abby hadn't even realized she'd reached out and touched Jess, to be honest, not until the adorable squeak. Quickly drawing her hand back and covering the O shape her mouth had slipped into, she shrunk her head downward into her shoulders a little. That noise, ohmygod. And the shade of scarlet she'd turned. Almost too much. "S-Sorry, I wasn't thinking," she apologized, though she was pretty sure it had been a toothless threat. "You can't just stop there, though, tell me the rest!"

The Rest...

"Ugh, yeah... I'm sure you're sorry," she grumbled, sticking her tongue out. Why was she asking that anyway? Of course Kim was... Pretty. She'd been an idol and a model, after all. That's all Abigail meant, right? Probably not, but dwelling further on it would make her want to get out of the hot tub, and that would be quite the problem. The warm was incredibly cozy!

"F-Fine... It was just... I really shouldn't be saying any of this as a captain." Jess sighed and sunk down to her neck again, leaning her head against the ridge. "We all had a party when we graduated pilot school... And a lot of us got drunk. Us, being the captain's training class... It had been the first time we'd been allowed to let loose in so long. So... So we did. Then some guy named Adrian comes over with 'permanent tattoos'." It was at this point her hand slipped out of the water and covered her face. "I was too drunk... I figured that it'd just wash out! Like, those fake ones you get as a kid... I guess the label wasn't kidding." Her mouth sunk under the surface, blowing bubbles of embarrassment. What a mistake, was it really still there? It was too specific a thing for Abby to be messing with her. I'm such an idiot...

Roxanna had left her with a... vague response, before excusing herself and going off to the chairs. How odd, but the XO hadn't seemed the type to frolic by the water, so her being here at all was a tad strange to begin with. That distraction having dealt with itself, Kim turned back towards Abigail and Jessica just in time to watch the former make a few comments and then reach out to... cop a feel? It was rather forward of her, and caused Jessica to jump and blush a rather sharp crimson, before eventually explaining a story from the academy. So she had a tattoo, which was presumably what Abigail had touched, instead of just flat out grabbing her ass like it had appeared from outside of the hot tub, but what did UPC mean?

"UPC? What UPC?" The Lieutenant initially asked, tilting her head a bit... actually, rather than explaining...

"Actual, just let see tattoo. Make easy, curious anyway. Story not bad, do much worse after shoot... back only 13 older girl bring soju afterparty, not let any leave without drink... some girl get crazy after."