I never realized how unpopular my opinions generally are...

Anacybele

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Anacybele, your problem isn't what your opinions are, but in how you express them. Hell, in the first few posts of this topic, you antagonized people who were trying to sympathize with and help you.

Sorry, but I just don't see where I ever did that. And regardless, it certainly was not my intent.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

You're bad at taking criticism

I disagree with this too. I've gotten much better at handling it over time. I may not be perfect or anything, but nobody is.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

You can be pointlessly aggressive and insensitive when expressing yourself, because you probably don't think about how others might react first. For a while now I've largely just stopped responding to whatever you post even if I'm tempted to because I know conversations with you rarely lead anywhere positive. I'm responding here because I have hope that you're actually looking for advice rather than validation.

I also don't see this anywhere. Aggressive? I would never be aggressive towards people about anything unless they gave me a reason to (such as attacking me). Of course I'm looking for advice, but telling me I'm doing things that I don't see myself doing anywhere doesn't help me much.

Seriously, I don't want to antagonize or annoy anyone or anything like that at all. I'm simply being honest. I can be blunt, I'll give you that (I do find Ike relatable for a reason, after all), and I admit to being defensive sometimes, but I'm only defensive if I feel I need to be. And sometimes I will feel the need to.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't have "bad taste" unless your taste is at the expense of others. Sometimes things just tickle your fancy and that's just how it is. A lot of people don't like Robin in Awakening for instance, but I'd say that Robin is a fine character IMO. 

I like Final Fantasy X-2, I have a liking towards Tekken 4 despite its flaws... And I ... Don't particularly like the Zelda series. People are different. Sometimes that happens. No big deal. That's just how you are. 

don't beat yourself up because your opinions aren't mainstream, you really shouldn't care what others think of what you like, it's your life to live, do what makes you happy.

it wasn't untill my last year of High School when I learned that I shouldn't care what others think about what I like to watch, play, or read, and I wish I realized that earlier.

sure I like gen 3 pokemon the best, but I'm just 100% nostalgia blind to those games

I collect amiibo and other video games, and most of my family thinks that's childish of me, but I don't let that affect me

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I disagree with this too. I've gotten much better at handling it over time. I may not be perfect or anything, but nobody is.

You may have gotten better at handling criticism over time, but you are still bad at taking criticism. Getting much better at something =/= you're actually good at it. No one is saying you have to be perfect, but on a spectrum you're still on the "not so good at taking advice" end.

You are not alone on Gen 3. There is a youtuber who did a good video on the subject, but he is Spanish....

I agree with the others, having different or unpopular opinions doesn't mean they're bad, it means you're unique which is always great. And having different opinions is great for discussion.

If you end up disappointed about merchandise that's unfortunate, but also something you as an artist (I didn't know this, that's cool!) can fix. As for people disagreeing with you often, that's something bound to happen on the internet, but on the flip-side there are also more people who like the same things as you here.

Also, I'm going to agree with this

8 hours ago, Florete said:

You're giving too much weight to the opinions of those who disagree with you and not enough to those who agree with you.

And going to go a bit further and say you seem to focus on negatives a lot more often than positives. Which, quite frankly, isn't a very healthy mindset since it will lead to disappointments.

8 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

You may have gotten better at handling criticism over time, but you are still bad at taking criticism. Getting much better at something =/= you're actually good at it. No one is saying you have to be perfect, but on a spectrum you're still on the "not so good at taking advice" end.

Well, sure, I won't say I'm GREAT at taking criticism, but I do think I'm okay at it now. But eh.

3 hours ago, Sylphid said:

And going to go a bit further and say you seem to focus on negatives a lot more often than positives. Which, quite frankly, isn't a very healthy mindset since it will lead to disappointments.

I agree that that's not healthy, but I don't remember doing this either (except in this thread's OP, I suppose). But if I have, as with those other things Florete mentioned, it was never my intent. I always want to have a more positive outlook.

@Captain Karnage Your family thinks that's childish of you? Man, they're lame. :P

@L9999 Yeah, I wouldn't understand that video at all. No Spanish here. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I don't have much to say that others haven't said already.

Having "unpopular" opinions is fine. In fact, we all have at least some of 'em. (Anyone who doesn't probably just bases their opinions on what other people like, which is a sad way to experience media IMO!) We've had several threads on these forums in the past few months dealing with this very subject in various ways.

Don't worry about what percentage of people agree with you; there's really no right or wrong when it comes to things like favourite games or characters. Instead, focus on expressing your own opinions well, and listening to others when they feel differently; sometimes they'll make you appreciate a game/character/movie/etc. more than you did previously.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:45 AM, Anacybele said:

The Galaxy games are my favorite Mario titles 

Finally we agree on something!!!

But seriously, by reading this I realized I haven't been the kindest to you on the forums, (I think I have said at least one mean thing towards you on the forums.) and I didn't even have a justification except for the fact that I REALLY dind't like RD and PoR at that time. (I still really don't) It makes my acts seem even worse because I understand what it is like to have unpopular opinions yet I still was mean towards you because your own unpopular opinions. I have written this to say sorry on my behalf of myself. It took me a very long time to realize that my opinions are my own. If other people don't like them who cares? Just remember no matter how disliked your opinions are don't let people get to you.

5 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I don't have much to say that others haven't said already.

Having "unpopular" opinions is fine. In fact, we all have at least some of 'em. (Anyone who doesn't probably just bases their opinions on what other people like, which is a sad way to experience media IMO!) We've had several threads on these forums in the past few months dealing with this very subject in various ways.

Don't worry about what percentage of people agree with you; there's really no right or wrong when it comes to things like favourite games or characters. Instead, focus on expressing your own opinions well, and listening to others when they feel differently; sometimes they'll make you appreciate a game/character/movie/etc. more than you did previously.

Yeah, that is basically what others are saying. Indeed.

And believe me, I know listening to others can make games or characters and stuff grow on you more. :P I've created more Ike fans all by myself! lol

2 minutes ago, Tuvy2 said:

Finally we agree on something!!!

But seriously, by reading this I realized I haven't been the kindest to you on the forums, (I think I have said at least one mean thing towards you on the forums.) and I didn't even have a justification except for the fact that I REALLY dind't like RD and PoR at that time. (I still really don't) It makes my acts seem even worse because I understand what it is like to have unpopular opinions yet I still was mean towards you because your own unpopular opinions. I have written this to say sorry on my behalf of myself. It took me a very long time to realize that my opinions are my own. If other people don't like them who cares? Just remember no matter how disliked your opinions are don't let people get to you.

I don't remember any of that for some reason, but apology accepted anyway. :) It's indeed not right to be mean to someone just because of their opinions on a game or something.

I dunno, I didn't play MM or WW but I can see why you would think they are worse. I've seen some people shit talking on the DS titles tho.

Same for pokémon, I think gen 3 is popular because of the likes of Sceptile (being the Charizard of the grass starters), I've seen many people hate on gen 5 tho.

And Galaxy... why? Because it's too easy? Name me one Mario game (not the rpgs) that is difficult aside from the first and Lost Worlds. Galaxy is a nice game.

Dunno about Tellius, I'm pretty sure they would be more popular if the games were not as rare as an unicorn but I'm pretty sure FE12 got more hate, same for Awakening or Fates.

Different people, different opinions really.

Edited by Nym

6 minutes ago, Nym said:

I dunno, I didn't play MM or WW but I can see why you would think they are worse. I've seen some people shit talking on the DS titles tho.

Same for pokémon, I think gen 3 is popular because of the likes of Sceptile (being the Charizard of the grass starters), I've seen many people hate on gen 5 tho.

And Galaxy... why? Because it's too easy? Name me one Mario game (not the rpgs) that is difficult aside from the first and Lost Worlds. Galaxy is a nice game.

Dunno about Tellius, I'm pretty sure they would be more popular if the games were not as rare as a unicorn but I'm pretty sure FE12 got more hate, same for Awakening or Fates.

Different people, different opinions really.

The only thing I ever liked about TWW is the graphics/art style. I didn't like the dungeons or story or characters much (aside from the Rito) and it's one of the most boringly easy games ever.

I didn't like much about MM either aside from Ikana Canyon. I didn't like the overworld or dungeons (except Stone Tower Temple) and I felt it had too few dungeons and story compared to side content. The game focuses too much on side quests, hurting the story and dungeons as a result. The characters didn't grab me either, even though I liked that they had their own schedules and daily lives.

I thought Blaziken was the most popular gen 3 Pokemon...? And I see more people praise gen 5 than hate it, mainly for its story.

I think people thought the Galaxy games were too linear or something. I guess more people liked the more open-world thing going on with SM64, and Odyssey is going back to this too.

Yeah, I think one of the biggest things hurting Tellius is its availability.

Yeah, indeed...

Edited by Anacybele

Can i ask what was the point of this thread? Like, how on earth does it matter whether or not people agree with you about video games? These things are ultimately rather menial and unimportant in the grand scheme of things. If your opinions about video games arent hurting anyone, it honestly doesnt matter one way or the other what someone else thinks of them. You enjoying Skyward Sword  isnt hurting anyone . I may not like that game but it doesnt bother me if someone else does. My favorite pokemon gen is the seventh, but this opinion isnt hurting someone who might love gen 5. I really dont like Final Fantasy but majority of my friends who game, love that series. But on the other side of the coin, i dont shame them for liking something like that that i dont like. (the "Stop liking what i dont like" thing is unclassy and shitty and i dont get why people do that.) 

Who cares if your opinions on fiction or media are considered unpopular? Just like the stuff you like. 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

The only thing I ever liked about TWW is the graphics/art style. I didn't like the dungeons or story or characters much (aside from the Rito) and it's one of the most boringly easy games ever.

I didn't like much about MM either aside from Ikana Canyon. I didn't like the overworld or dungeons (except Stone Tower Temple) and I felt it had too few dungeons and story compared to side content. The game focuses too much on side quests, hurting the story and dungeons as a result. The characters didn't grab me either, even though I liked that they had their own schedules and daily lives.

I thought Blaziken was the most popular gen 3 Pokemon...? And I see more people praise gen 5 than hate it, mainly for its story.

I think people thought the Galaxy games were too linear or something. I guess more people liked the more open-world thing going on with SM64, and Odyssey is going back to this too.

Yeah, I think one of the biggest things hurting Tellius is its availability.

Yeah, indeed...

I think Blaziken is a close second, Septile is more popular for many reasons (nice design, had a signautre move, Ash have one and more)

I also think RD is the hardest FE after the very old one.

41 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I, for one, find all of them hard!

...yeah.

Ouch, poor you.

8 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Can i ask what was the point of this thread? Like, how on earth does it matter whether or not people agree with you about video games? These things are ultimately rather menial and unimportant in the grand scheme of things. If your opinions about video games arent hurting anyone, it honestly doesnt matter one way or the other what someone else thinks of them. You enjoying Skyward Sword  isnt hurting anyone . I may not like that game but it doesnt bother me if someone else does. My favorite pokemon gen is the seventh, but this opinion isnt hurting someone who might love gen 5. I really dont like Final Fantasy but majority of my friends who game, love that series. But on the other side of the coin, i dont shame them for liking something like that that i dont like. (the "Stop liking what i dont like" thing is unclassy and shitty and i dont get why people do that.) 

Who cares if your opinions on fiction or media are considered unpopular? Just like the stuff you like. 

Firstly, hey Loki/Florina. Long time no see!

Second, of course it isn't hurting anyone, that's beside the point. The reason I made this thread was basically because I was wondering if all my unpopular opinions meant I had poor taste, that's really all.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I think Blaziken is a close second, Septile is more popular for many reasons (nice design, had a signautre move, Ash have one and more)

I also think RD is the hardest FE after the very old one.

Huh, well, I have no problem with that (Sceptile is the one I dislike the least out of the three Hoenn starter lines).

RD is pretty hard, yeah.

No i doubt its cuz you have bad taste. And even if your tastes in media were bad, it really doesnt matter anyway. Its not gonna change my opinion of you (for the worse) if you do something like unironically love Neil Breen movies or something. Like, ok heres one for ya. My best mate's girl loves the Vampire Diaries. That show is legit bad, and he really hates it and i find it bad too. But really, its not gonna change how we feel about his girl. Shes still a cool person, and someone worth hanging out with. So what if she likes that and bad telenovela. Whatever. 

The only time i feel like opinions are a problem, when they are actually actively hurting people. Something like "i dont like black people' is really hurtful, awful, and harmful. But something like "i love Super Paper Mario is not an issue nor an indicator whether or not you are a cool person. (also, SPM is bomb shit and i love that game. Best narrative in the Paper Mario verse!)

9 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

No i doubt its cuz you have bad taste. And even if your tastes in media were bad, it really doesnt matter anyway. Its not gonna change my opinion of you (for the worse) if you do something like unironically love Neil Breen movies or something. Like, ok heres one for ya. My best mate's girl loves the Vampire Diaries. That show is legit bad, and he really hates it and i find it bad too. But really, its not gonna change how we feel about his girl. Shes still a cool person, and someone worth hanging out with. So what if she likes that and bad telenovela. Whatever. 

The only time i feel like opinions are a problem, when they are actually actively hurting people. Something like "i dont like black people' is really hurtful, awful, and harmful. But something like "i love Super Paper Mario is not an issue nor an indicator whether or not you are a cool person. (also, SPM is bomb shit and i love that game. Best narrative in the Paper Mario verse!)

Yeah, I didn't think my opinions should change what people think of me for the worse unless they were, as you say, something harmful. You're right though. I've definitely been looking into this too much.

Vampire Diaries does look cheesy, but not nearly as bad as Twilight or something.

Edited by Anacybele

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And believe me, I know listening to others can make games or characters and stuff grow on you more. :P I've created more Ike fans all by myself! lol

Yeah, and you've also made more Ike fans into non-Ike fans all by yourself. And at least one Geoffrey fan. Listening to others can also make certain games or characters sound less appealing to you than it may have been before.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Yeah, and you've also made more Ike fans into non-Ike fans all by yourself. And at least one Geoffrey fan. Listening to others can also make certain games or characters sound less appealing to you than it may have been before.

I doubt that. It's stupid to start hating a character just because someone else likes said character. Same for liking a character just because someone else hates that character (and I don't even hate Geoffrey).

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I doubt that. It's stupid to start hating a character just because someone else likes said character. Same for liking a character just because someone else hates that character (and I don't even hate Geoffrey).

You doubt that, huh? Case in point: me. I don't like Ike or Ike/Elincia anymore because I was tired of hearing you talk about them on and on and on. But thanks for thinking that I'm stupid. I'm sure you'd dislike Roy or Lucina if someone never shut up about them and kept on going on and on and on about them. But so glad you think that's stupid and would never do that, right? Right?

I'm not here to bash you. But you're really focusing on the wrong things in this thread. It's not that people think you have bad taste. It's that people have issue with the aggressive way you push your opinions and you don't even seem to realize that the way you phrase things turn people off onto the things you like. You also have a tendency to quickly throw around words like "stupid" and "dumbass", but the moment you think someone is using those terms to refer to you then you get all offended.

I think you're tired of getting into arguments with people, but it seems you don't understand why people keep arguing with you. If you want to continue arguing with people, by all means ignore my advice and any other advice people like Florete have given you in this thread. But if you want to not argue with people, just consider what we're saying. Even just a little.

And before you say, "well there are other people who do this and no one calls them out on it", those people DO get called out on it too. They just don't post nearly as much as you do, or at the same time or place you do. So you just don't see them.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

You doubt that, huh? Case in point: me. I don't like Ike or Ike/Elincia anymore because I was tired of hearing you talk about them on and on and on. But thanks for thinking that I'm stupid. I'm sure you'd dislike Roy or Lucina if someone never shut up about them and kept on going on and on and on about them. But so glad you think that's stupid and would never do that, right? Right?

Then that's very immature of you. I'm not calling you stupid, I'm calling your actions here stupid. Big difference. I already disliked Lucina a lot, and I don't dislike Roy, but someone talking about them a lot would never automatically make me hate them because as I said, I find that immature.

Also, I haven't talked "on and on and on" about them in ages. Maybe in the Heroes board I've mentioned him a lot lately, but it's more disappointment that he's not in the game yet, not about why I like him so much.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I think you're tired of getting into arguments with people, but it seems you don't understand why people keep arguing with you. If you want to continue arguing with people, by all means ignore my advice and any other advice people like Florete have given you in this thread. But if you want to not argue with people, just consider what we're saying. Even just a little.

Yes, I am tired of it. No, I don't understand. And of course I try to consider and take people's advice, it just doesn't seem to be working.

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then that's very immature of you. I'm not calling you stupid, I'm calling your actions here stupid. Big difference. I already disliked Lucina a lot, and I don't dislike Roy, but someone talking about them a lot would never automatically make me hate them because as I said, I find that immature.

Also, I haven't talked "on and on and on" about them in ages. Maybe in the Heroes board I've mentioned him a lot lately, but it's more disappointment that he's not in the game yet, not about why I like him so much.

You don't get to call me immature when you do far more immature things than I do. Like post this thread in the first place. Also, maybe you haven't realized but I just don't care about characters as much as you or most other people do. A character that I like can still become someone I dislike ... either because of in-game factors or out of it. Ultimately, I don't have that much of an attachment to fictional characters because I feel don't feel that's healthy. You've also done some stupid actions, but of course you get offended when you're called out on it. I still haven't forgiven your very immature and stupid reaction for when I sent a blunt but honest review for your story on FFN, so apparently things are only okay when you do it.

EDIT: Also, you want immature? The way you responded to my comment on you being salty about British accents was immature.

I was also around on the board when you WERE going on about Ike and Frederick, so.

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes, I am tired of it. No, I don't understand. And of course I try to consider and take people's advice, it just doesn't seem to be working.

That's because you're not continuing to follow up on people's advice. You come to an epiphany about something and follow it for the rest of the day, or the next day, only to completely forget everything you learned and to make the same mistakes you've made. That, or I don't think you really understand what people are trying to advise you to do.

Edited by Sunwoo

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You know what? I agree. I think it's dumb to start disliking something because others like it a lot. But it's basic human nature and even though I think it's dumb it's happened to me and it's probably happened to you even if you don't consciously realize it. Even if you like something, if you feel it's getting too much love from elsewhere, it can create a disconnect where you on the less-liking side simultaneously try to be a fan while also thinking it's not that good, and if this continues long enough it can bring your opinion lower and lower. People often call it hype backlash. It sucks, but it's real. I don't usually hear of the reverse happening, but it wouldn't surprise me; people naturally want to root for an underdog.

I agree with that tbh, that its pretty silly to give in to hype backlash. i was guilty of giving in to that when i was younger, but i realized how dumb it is. Like, its a lot of energy to expound on something that is so subjective anyway. Plus, its like, kinda comes off like one cannot form their own opinions without some kind of input from others, not their own mind. Like, i know a guy who literally doesnt like stuff because its popular and its the most IRRITATING THING omg. And it just makes him more and more bitter as time wears on. 

Even if someone is obnoxious with their opinions, theres a time to just walk away and let them just do whatever.