"So, tell me: are you a boy, or a girl?"

Quiver

I don't think I've ever found a more relevant use of Professor Oak than right now.

Anyhow, I'm curious. When you play Fates, which avatar do you use? Is there anything that motivates that choice, or is it just kind of "whatever"?

It largely depends on who I want to marry in the route and which servant I want to be more viable. 

Like in my Conquest Lunatic run, I wanted to marry Felicia!Nina so I chose male Corrin. But in my Birthright Lunatic run, I felt like playing a Corrin inspired by Catria so I chose a girl. 

The first time I played either route, I chose the opposite gender, though.

I generally always pick my own gender (male) when it comes to creating characters. I don't know why, it's pretty automatic. Maybe it just helps me get into the game better.

The only game I pick female in is.... Monster Hunter. Because there's no point in staring at the ugly ass male armor designs.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Female, because I like the neutral pairing options better.

EDIT: I'll pick female in general, unless the customization options really suck.

Edited by eclipse

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I generally always pick my own gender (male) when it comes to creating characters. I don't know why, it's pretty automatic. Maybe it just helps me get into the game better.

The only game I pick female in is.... Monster Hunter. Because there's no point in staring at the ugly ass male armor designs.

Same, although I've created player characters of the opposing gender (female) because I like the story in it or for other reasons. Like when I played EA Sports UFC 2, I wanted to take on Ronda Rousey, and in my new NHL 17, I picked a girl character because I accidentally created a girl character in NHL 12, and I liked the story I unknowingly told with it.

But I'm a male and I typically create male characters.

44 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Usually female, but sometimes, I'll play male on a subsequent playthrough for variety.

I'm the exact same way here.

I picked female during my first run of both Fates and Awakening, and I know that F!Corrin is far more popular than M!Corrin, whereas it's the opposite for Awakening. Picked M!Corrin and M!Robin on second runs for variety and to see any differences between them, wasn't too impressed, and since then, I pretty much always choose the female on both. Part of that is the fact that I far prefer the female's pairing options to the male's in both games. Also in Fates in particular, F!Corrin's customization options definitely blow M!Corrin's out of the water, just based on the hair decorations alone.

Speaking of Monster Hunter, though, my main character is always female, but my secondary is usually male, since the armor designs are different as someone mentioned and some of the female armor is, ahem, well...

In games that tend to give females excessively fanservice-y outfits and armors (of which there are unfortunately many), I pretty much always go with male, since I have a distaste for all of that in general. At least let me make my handsome, soft-featured male character while others are ogling their barely-dressed female. Though I guess I don't have much room to talk on that front, considering. Lol.

I'm that weirdo whose main in Blade and Soul is a blond-haired pretty boy. :lol:

Monster Hunter is generally way better about this than lots of other games. A lot of their female armor is just as covered and elaborate as the male armor...but some of it falls woefully short of that standard.

As an aside, I'm not the biggest fan of F!Corrin being forced into a thong during her promotion, or the fact that she has inexplicably exposed thighs that her male version doesn't have, though...

Edited by Extrasolar

I always play as female Corrin. Perhaps it has to do with being female myself, but I also think she just has a much nicer design with better customization options. And. Yeah. This way, I can also have her marry a male character. But really, if given the choice in any game, I'm more than likely to pick female.

33 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

As an aside, I'm not the biggest fan of F!Corrin being forced into a thong during her promotion, or the fact that she has inexplicably exposed thighs that her male version doesn't have, though...

The answer is pants.  This applies to every last battle thong in Fates.  If Leo didn't have pants, you'd see his thighs poking out. :P:

---

I prefer M!Corrin on aesthetic, but without proper planning, someone doesn't get a kid.  That's lame.

I bothered with a male Avatar exactly once, in my second Conquest run. It was pretty much exclusively so I could A) romance Niles without having to deal with the resulting kids, and B) stay in the Nohr Noble class without ending up in swimsuit armor.

Pretty much every other Avatar I've had has been a woman. I generally play female characters over male ones anyway, but the truly terrible hair options that the male Avatar has to pick from make me not want to ever bother with it again. If only the female Avatar had more class options that included pants...

Picked female on my first Awakening run, but chose male ever since. But I can't be bothered to play as a female Corrin for whatever reason, probably because I prefer the male's pairing options by a landslide. It doesn't help that I generally wind up having a female-dominated party with a male Corrin at the head, not unlike a certain Sega franchise...

As for other games where you can choose your protagonist's gender, it largely depends on the game (that being said, I'm more likely to gravitate towards female).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I Always go with Female, mostly because I would rather have Jakob much earlier and because - with a Female Avatar - I'm sure that I'll Always be able to obtain most (if not all) of the kids.

I any other non-Fe games, however, I'll go with the design I like the most, between the two genders.

In Fates, I alternate, but I prefer female because Jakob is so much more useful at the start than Felicia on CQ and Rev.. I don't flinch at the terrible outfit design as I keep animations off 95% of the time in Fates. More ambivalent in Awakening.

When I was kid, I'd always pick female in Pokemon Crystal, though the series as a whole goes back and forth on this matter. Sometimes they're both good, like the 3rd Gen games, other times we get HG/SS scenarios where one is clearly superior.

As a kinda related note, in Etrian Odyssey I judge based on looks, but so far the sex ratio of my teams are about equal. My EO4 maingame team was Ma!NS, Fe!F, Ma!S, Ma!RM, and Fe!Arc. But for the other five classes I ran with Fe!I, Fe!M, Fe!D, Ma!B, and the infamous very feminine male L, so 5 males to 5 females. EOU2 (haven't completed it) is B, WM, Survivalist, Sovereign, and Landsknecht- all male save the Landy (well technically Beasts are ambiguous, but I consider it male). On the other hand, my EOU team (still not completed either) is 4 females: the mature Dark Hunter, the androgynous Hexer, the dark skinned Protector, and the not so innocent Ronin pick; plus the young male Troubadour (because the idea of the old man in team of young women came off as lecherous).

I always go with females when it comes to avatars. It's been something I've done for so long as to be instinct.

Ironically, I think I want my pegasus run in Awakening to have a male Robin. It's not set in stone at the moment, but a male Robin actually lets me have one more unit. Whether that unit is worth it remains to be seen. Since Sky Knight is available as male in Fates, I don't imagine there's any gameplay reason left for me to consider a male Corrin if I get to it.

8 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Speaking of Monster Hunter, though, my main character is always female, but my secondary is usually male, since the armor designs are different as someone mentioned and some of the female armor is, ahem, well...

I used to play MH as the male character, but then my friend told me, "If you're going to spend the entire game staring at your backside, why stare at a male's?" I told him he was a genius.

But really, I disliked a lot of the male armor sets. Very few of them were actually cool to me, while I find a majority of the female armor to be either cute or cool.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Depends. Most of my characters are dudes but I play as a female occasionally (did for my all-wyverns run of conquest and would for a Rev run if I had that route lol). 

Usually, I like roleplaying some female OCs of mine in games, but FE Awakening and Fates are a little different due to the option of marriage (and the fact that the main character has a pretty set-in-stone personality, so it makes it a bit more difficult to RP).  I'll still go female sometimes, but every first playthrough is as a male.  I first played CQ as a female, but I count it as a second playthrough; plus, Leo is the ultimate Nohrian waifu.

I think that like others it'll also be dependent on design.  As far as Corrin's head is concerned, I prefer the female to the male; I've said this before, but the male avatar's face is always so punchable to me.  That might have something to do with my disposition towards Corrin after playing through all of Fates, but if that's the case then why do I not hold such animosity towards female Corrin's face?  The body, it's fairly even; I don't care as much about thigh gaps and Nohrian thong as others do, and most of the time, she isn't even in her original class tree.

I typically choose female. With blank slate characters, and not too many class restrictions, I enjoy main characters of my own gender. If the game forces me to be a staff chick (or rather, prevent me from using THE sword), based on my gender, then I probably wouldn't play that game, or I would just stick with a male character (ex: Shining Soul 2, Sword of Mana).

Also Jakob > Felicia, that pairup bonus too good. If I'm doing a themed run, or if I want to choose F!Kana, I'll choose the male.

I usually do it like the majority here and pick my own gender (male) in first playthroughs to get into the game / story better and then pick female in subsequent playthroughs. My female characters are usually themed / named after the characters I create for the stories I write or from the novel I'm currently working on. This usually also applies to other games where you can create characters such as Etrian Odyssey or 7th Dragon III.

My protag would probably not be happy about the fact that his crush married Chrom in Awakening...

I do think that the protagonist's gender of any given story / game doesn't matter as long as they are an interesting character and in a video game's case fun to play as. This applies to the Tales series in particular. I played mostly as Sophie in Graces f, Marta in Dawn of the New World, Milla in Xillia, Beryl in Hearts R, Rose in Zestiria and of course Velvet in Berseria since I liked their playstyles more than the given protagonist's, with the obvious exception of Velvet who IS the protagonist of her game. 

I started male with Fates and Awakening, but with most other games I tend go with female unless there's a beneficial reason for me to go male, whether it be either gameplay or aesthetics.

Second playthroughs are almost always with the opposite gender.

Edited by Gennerson