"So, tell me: are you a boy, or a girl?"

Quiver

In a game without genetics and pairing, I choose female. Mostly because I'm tired of male protagonists. Female main protagonists are still far too rare.

In the case of Fates, I wanted to bang Gunter first because yay, older men so I had to choose female Corrin anyway. After that, I chose according to the supports I was curious about.

Generally speaking, I guess I just go with whichever I feel like or have a good idea for a design for? As for Fates specifically, I've flip-flopped a lot but I'm pretty sure I wanna have a female MU, since I really like the customization options—by which I mean hairstyles 8, 10, 11, 12, and build 2's hairstyle 3, and build 1's faces 1, 3, 6, and 7—and you don't have to choose between restricting yourself to marrying your character off to one of the four avatarsexual women or sacrificing one of the child characters to the eldritch gods. Plus, I've found most FeMU pairings I've looked into are pretty nice, for the most part, so there's that, too; and Kana gets a sibling, unless you're marrying an avatarsexual character~

In Awakening I've gone male every time, mostly because I'm ridiculously attached to my specific MU in that game.

New Mystery I did one playthrough with a female MU and one with a male MU.

Like basically everyone else I generally play my own gender (male) first play through. Then its female for the next and whatever after that. The only real exceptions is awakening because I believe a part of why I like the game is the dynamic between M!Robin and when its F!Robin instead it just dosent sit right with me so I just always play M!Robin. For fates case it is usually the reverse, after my first play through it has been FemCorn every time because frankly Corn is stupid and the less representative they are of me the better

In Awakening, I chose a Male, but in Fates, I chose Female. For my first runs of each at least.

I did it that way because of a headcanon but it's not really necessary to explain. 

I otherwise occasionally alternate but it's usually just me trying out customization options just for fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the time I play as my own gender (male), however sometimes I like to mix it up a little and will play female. When I do though I usually design a red headed girl who looks like she has attitude. The kinds of pairings I go for on most of my runs (so who I pair a male avatar with) are people like:

Beruka

Effie

Rinkah

Charlotte (she has a funny personality and I like berserkers, I like her supports with Xander and her Niles supports are really funny)

Scarlet

I have not tried Selana or Anna yet, I need to do that as they are both redheads and their supports are funny. Hmm, I wonder if someone could tell discern traits and aspects of a person based on their preferred units and waifus/husbandos of choice. I do wish there were some canon pairings though like Arthur's and Elise's S support is one of my favorites it would be nice if that was canon or maybe a pairing like Charlotte with either Benny or Xander.

Male Corrin to flirt with Azura because I can't marry her even though I should be able to.

Also anyone wanna rate my avatar? ;')

Spoiler

Logos.png.2dd4c915da274a1c3d475cc1d3d26ea2.png

Logos

Male because I almost always just make myself (or as close to it as possible), 50/50 if I mix it up. Don't care for the arbitrary exposed skin and unnecessary heels and skirts in women's armor, but mostly nude barbarian gear is great, I'll wear that on both genders for sure. Also I have zero reservations about admiring my own virtual male ass as long as it's as perfect in-game as it is in real life.

First run I always play female (playing as my own gender).

For Awakening, I'll never make a male avatar...just because I'm too attached to Stahl and couldn't bear the thought of not marrying him.

For Fates, my first go through of all the routes is with a female avatar. I plan on doing another go-through (eventuallyyyyy...) with a male avatar.

Surprisingly enough, my avatar is male. I'm female, and normally I play as such, but for this game and Awakening for that matter I felt like playing as the male avatar. It just seemed more entertaining to me that way. I played Birthright first and played as a male the whole time, and when I started playing Conquest I decided to go female. I didn't like it at all. Maybe it's because I was used to the male avatar, but regardless I started over and recreated my old avatar and liked it much better. The only thing I dislike about the male character is that you can't get all of the child units unless you marry one of the corrinsexuals, which makes the marriage option pretty boring, unless it's different in Revelations, which I haven't played yet. 

For avatars in most games, I'll usually go male, because I have to be a girl in real life already and it blows. With Corrin, though, I...don't really care? Azama is my husband and Effie is my wife, and I'm not really more attached to one than the other so I guess it's version-specific. But when I think of them as their own character, they're totally gender-neutral in my mind. (I guess I headcanon nonbinary Corrin? But more likely, I just don't think about them that much, haha.) 

I've only played as female so far here, since I love having Jakob first and marrying pretty guys.

It took several playthroughs on Awakening for me to play as a male, and I just haven't played through Fates as much since I sort of overplayed it just doing all three games that did come out. I'll probably go back to it eventually, but I will miss having Jakob from that start if I start as a male :(...

In most games I generally play female first run and make them as close to me as possible. After that it's just kind of whatever I feel like. On Fates I've only been male once as I much prefer Jacob over Felicia. I went travelling earlier this year and ended up in a maid café in Tokyo. I seriously can't look at Felicia in the same way again.