Fellow Trails fans I need your assistance

Jedi

@TheEnd @DodgeDusk @PKLucas531 @Tonton @eclipse @Refa and other Trails fans I know that are hiding around here like @VincentASM

I'm looking to make a video on youtube that talks about like the awesome aspects of the franchise and a bit of its history, I was inspired by this particular youtuber named Super Eyepatch Wolf and his various "Why you should watch" series, one example is such 

I've been thinking about it the past few days and I was thinking the structure should be like. 

-> My beginnings with Trails in the Sky 
-> The actual history of the games & Xseeds eventual localization 
-> Strong points in the series favor 
-> Potential weak points
-> Why I have a strange (even in the fanbases) preference for Cold Steel even if I admit that Sky did some things a fair bit better, I don't have any exp with the Crossbell arc.
-> Characters and NPCs (Might just go in strong points, but I dno for sure).
-> Etc

As you can see I'm honestly not sure how to go about this 100%, and I also need to gather footage from all the games I have (easy enough but time consuming).

I don't think you need to insert your personal history in unless it's relevant to whatever you're specifically talking about (e.g. you're talking about the music and then you bring up that you like the soundtrack so much, you had Silver Will play at your wedding hey it could definitely happen don't discount the possibility).  Just comes across as filler because starting videos is hard.  As for preferring Cold Steel, you could bring that up during the strong and weak points.  Don't think it warrants its own section.  Not sure about how you'd order the others, but the actual points themselves seem fine.

4 minutes ago, Refa said:

I don't think you need to insert your personal history in unless it's relevant to whatever you're specifically talking about (e.g. you're talking about the music and then you bring up that you like the soundtrack so much, you had Silver Will play at your wedding hey it could definitely happen don't discount the possibility).  Just comes across as filler because starting videos is hard.  As for preferring Cold Steel, you could bring that up during the strong and weak points.  Don't think it warrants its own section.  Not sure about how you'd order the others, but the actual points themselves seem fine.

I guess the Personal history was just a carry over from Super Eyepatches videos haha. Thanks for the tips.

SF and Trails are intertwined in a strange way for me!

Anyway, I can't really help with the super-trivia - I know bits and pieces about the series, but I don't know it that well.

What I CAN do is donate some video clips from the Liberl arc, and my impressions - I like the characters in Liberl over Erebonia, so far.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

SF and Trails are intertwined in a strange way for me!

Anyway, I can't really help with the super-trivia - I know bits and pieces about the series, but I don't know it that well.

What I CAN do is donate some video clips from the Liberl arc, and my impressions - I like the characters in Liberl over Erebonia, so far.

Some video clips would be very much appreciated, although I wouldn't mind playing both Sky games again since I love em to death haha same with CS. 

Man 3rd is like 16 days away.

Edited by Jedi

If you need anything specific, lemme know!  I'm gonna be in the process of moving, so I might not be able to get back to you right away.

17 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If you need anything specific, lemme know!  I'm gonna be in the process of moving, so I might not be able to get back to you right away.

Maybe some Agate, Oliver and other such moments :P:

But i'll let you know specifics later when I have a better idea of what I'm going to talk about.

Eh, adding your personal history is a matter of style, as long as you don't go overboard. I saw a shitstorm over that not too long ago, haha.

Can't help with footage because I don't record my stuff, sorry.

I remember Mother's Basement made a video about TitS, but I believe it was just the first game. Have you seen it?

I also agree you should not go overboard with the personal history since I too saw a shitstorm about it recently on Youtube. I also think you should build up towards your strongest points. Though that might be difficult since people might lost interest in the beginning. In that case, start off with your second strongest points, followed by your weaker points and end with your strongest point (it should probably also be the main reason why you like the series).

I think including your reasons why you prefer Cold Steel over Sky is a bit random, especially since you're starting with Trails in the Sky. That is unless you can somehow tie that in. Otherwise, I'm not sure where to place that in the structure. I kinda also wanna see why you prefer Cold Steel though. So it's up to you if you so wish to keep that. Just my thoughts.

As for game footage, I would love to give you some. But I'm afraid it's going to be limited to the Crossbell arc. My computer that once had Trails in the Sky installed is broken. And also my PS Vita is broken (I don't even having any capturing equipment). Yes, I pretty much break any piece of technology in some way.

If you feel kinda lost, you should always check out the XSeed forums for some ideas. There are also some videos on Youtube that review the Trails series (besides Mother's Basement). If you so wish to go into writing, here's Digibro's video on his tips for writing. As he said, do not use this as a rule of thumb:

Spoiler

I've seen the Mother's Basement video but I felt he focused too much on the games against the WRPG genre and was just made to force controversy and I didn't like it that much besides the actual talking about Trails. (Which was less than bashing WRPGs)

Not much a fan of Digibro either, for the same reasons. "I have controversial things to say just to get views, now pay me money so I can continue"

But i'll keep those other general things in mind.

Edited by Jedi

On 4/17/2017 at 4:39 AM, TheEnd said:

Eh, adding your personal history is a matter of style, as long as you don't go overboard. I saw a shitstorm over that not too long ago, haha.

Actually yeah, fair enough.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:35 AM, Jedi said:

I've seen the Mother's Basement video but I felt he focused too much on the games against the WRPG genre and was just made to force controversy and I didn't like it that much besides the actual talking about Trails. (Which was less than bashing WRPGs)

I don't see how he bashed WRPGs?  Granted, it's been a while since I've watched that video, but I thought that the point was to compare a game with good world building (Trails) to other games with good worldbuilding (WRPGs).  I don't think he even said anything bad about them.

Just now, Refa said:

Actually yeah, fair enough.

I don't see how he bashed WRPGs?  Granted, it's been a while since I've watched that video, but I thought that the point was to compare a game with good world building (Trails) to other games with good worldbuilding (WRPGs).  I don't think he even said anything bad about them.

I saw it awhile ago admittedly and just remember him saying that its like, "Better than them in every way" a few times. But I'd need to rewatch to confirm.

I think adding Personal History can be a boon and I planned on introducing the video with it, but only briefly touching on that before moving onto the things that actually matter.

Are you keeping the same structure as in the OP for the rest of it or are you changing it up?

18 minutes ago, Refa said:

Are you keeping the same structure as in the OP for the rest of it or are you changing it up?

I think the structure in the OP is generally whats sticking although I may change the order of like the strong points & the history.