Favorite and Least Favorite path in Fates

DarkDestr0yer61

Favorite and Least Favorite path in Fates?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite path in Fates?

2. 2. Least favorite path in Fates?

Conquest is my favorite because all I care about is map/game design, really, and so the stellar maps and general game feel make it the best in the series for me.

Revelation has the same good game feel but the maps are, aside from the best ones in the route, mediocre at best and boring garbage where you plow snow (what the fuck) at worst. 

I'll always stick up for Birthright since I feel like it gets unfairly treated - the monotony of objectives gets a little stale after Conquest, but the map design itself is very good (barring the ridiculous numbers of reinforcements). 

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

My favorite path is Conquest. Even though it failed story wise I find the gameplay very fun and engaging. 

Revelations is my least favorite. The overall gimmicky maps that it has makes it feel like a chore for me to play through. I don't like it one bit. 

1 minute ago, Avarice_Shadow said:

My favorite path is Conquest. Even though it failed story wise I find the gameplay very fun and engaging. 

Revelations is my least favorite. The overall gimmicky maps that it has makes it feel like a chore for me to play through. I don't like it one bit. 

My thoughts exactly. Conquest maps were pretty cool and I had a lot of fun playing it even though the story is straight up garbage. 

Revelations was almost unfun to play because of how stupid the map design was. It felt like a last second cash grab.

Birthright is just so average in every way that there's not much to say about it.

Does Revelation have a good map? I don't think it has even one. I'm not going to waste my time explaining the problems of each, but from the beginning to the end, no chapter ever arose to greatness.

Birthright's frequent bad or bland map design was compensated for in being far less tedious.

Conquest has the gimmicks being slightly too strong at times, but is very well made as a whole.

If we're talking about gameplay - probably Conquest, just due to the more interesting map design and enemy placement, even if at times the challenge rolled over into annoying or frustrating rather than challenging.

Storywise? Birthright all the way. My problems with the Conquest story are many, and I won't get into them here for fear of beating a dead horse. Revelation was better-written than Conquest, but it still had its shares of frustrating and inconsistent plotting too.

Birthright was simple and standard fare that knew what it wanted to be (good guys take down bad guys) and delivered on that. Gameplay was alright, but the lack of challenge and as people have brought up usually simple map design and lack of diverse objectives bring it down a bit.

Revelations gimmicky maps and bad unit balance have been talked about elsewhere, so I won't go into that.

A good and non-frustrating story is extremely important to me, and since the BR gameplay was still serviceable, voting BR for best path. Conquest for worse, because of the spectacular character assassination, and I shouldn't have to mash the start button to keep my sanity while playing through it again.

Edited by Extrasolar

Conquest is easily my favorite of the bunch. That's not to say I thought Birthright was bad- I think it gets kind of a bum rap, actually. But Conquest still wins out in my heart for several reasons.

Revelation is pretty irredeemable, though. Like, it's not unplayable but it's astoundingly lazy and often mind-numbingly tedious. Its only saving grace is access to most of the units and having all the castle parts available, but that's pretty weak compensation for having to actually play it.

Birthright was the probably the worst. I mean the story was the best, but i'm not really a story person and Conquest and Revelation just outclass it

Conquest was the most fun to play through, though to be fair there were a LOT of frustrating moments that i really didn't like (cough chapters 10,21 and 24)

Revelation, while i didn't like the map design for the most part, you did get access to all the characters, and i really love the way Valla looks and how different it is, even more so than Hoshido. And about the whole unit imbalance? Well you can grind in Revelation so i don't see it as that big of a problem for the most part.

But well that's just my take on it and feel free to disagree 

Birthright is my favourite, because I loved the characters, didn't mind the story and still got osme fun out of the gameplay. It felt like a nice and refreshing, if not very challenging, experience.

Revelations is eh. The maps are annyoing with their gimmicks and the story doesn't invest a thing. But it has all the characters and I liked many of their supports.

Conquest is my least favourite. The gameplay is very good admittedly, but not really enjoyable for me in the long term. As someone who prefers story over gameplay, Conquest is just a torture to get through. I skip all the cutscenes whenever I play it again. Only very few of the characters stuck with me.

Edited by Nanima

Favorite route is most definitely Conquest. The maps are a lot more fun, and it has more characters I care about. And while its story is pretty infuriating, it's actually the one I dislike the least.

Least favorite is...ehhh, I don't know. Probably Revelation, I guess. Maps aren't the greatest here, and some characters are rather awful upon joining (such as Odin). Birthright's story may be my least favorite, but Revelation's existence pretty much ruins the entire point of Fates. But at least cross-nation pairings are nice, I think.

Conquest for sure. I hate the story so much, but the gameplay and maps are great, and I really like most of the Conquest-side characters. I  definitely have to grit my teeth when replaying though, due to reading the abomination of a story each time. It never fails to piss me off how bad it is.

I guess least favorite is Revelation. Most of the maps are just plain bad, the gimmicks are lame, and the character balance is fucked. Granted I love the ability to use almost all the characters from both main routes, and it's the most "complete" story, so I appreciate that. But the gameplay and maps just drag it down too much as an overall experience. I can't hate on Birthright since while it's not very challenging and the story is generic(but that's sadly a good thing compared to the others), it's not bad, just not great.

Edited by Alkaid

Conquest is my favorite and it's not even close. Like, Conquest is my favorite fire emblem game, tied with FE7, while Revelation and Birthright are probably my 2nd and 3rd least favorite Fire Emblem games (but I still liked the later).

Edited by Nobody

Revelation manages to make Gaidens map design look good so its probably the weakest FE in general not only of the 3 Fates routes. 

Conquest and Birthright are both miles beyond it, but Conquest is super well designed.

Conquest has my favorite gameplay in the series, more or less. If you just skip almost all the dialogue you can also almost ignore how badly written it is. I love chapter 10 in particular just like almost everyone else.

Revelation is irredeemable though. The map design is boring, lazy and it takes way too long to complete one, the unit balance is a complete mess which indicates a short timetable, the enemies are just spread out and have no skills and aren't paired up, offering no challenge to the player. However, I think the worst part is the story; Azura dumps exposition on you in the very beginning that she could've brought up in other routes, you collect your siblings only to have them exist solely in the background, Corrin is actively kept from character development, Garon gets killed off to conveniently tie up all the loose ends, Anankos and Valla's mere existence ruins the original conflict and the choice which the game was supposed to revolve around, and to top it all of Corrin becomes the monarch of a new nation completely out of the blue without any explanation as to why that was needed. I can't believe they threw Birthright and Conquest under a bus for this.

Favorite route is Birthright, by virtue of it having a story that isn't complete garbage, and gameplay I actually enjoy.

Least favorite is Conquest, by virtue of having the worst story out of all three routes (though Revelation is a close second in that regard), and having pretty meh map, gameplay and level design (and a ton of annoying gimmick levels) that doesn't make up for the former.

Edited by AzureSen

1 hour ago, AzureSen said:

Favorite route is Birthright, by virtue of it having a story that isn't complete garbage, and gameplay I actually enjoy.

Least favorite is Conquest, by virtue of having the worst story out of all three routes (though Revelation is a close second in that regard), and having pretty meh map, gameplay and level design (and a ton of annoying gimmick levels) that doesn't make up for the former.

basically this but switch whenever he says conquest with revelation

Best route? Conquest.

Fantastic map design, good soundtrack and a story that I believe isn't as bad as the other two routes.

Worst route? Revelation.

Tedious maps, reused maps, two thirds of the route is a rushed version of the other two routes and the remaining third is even worse, somehow not getting all units despite being the "golden ending" (seriously, killing off minor characters is not dramatic), a story almost as generic as Birthright but much worse, and the list goes on.

The Valla maps are kind of pretty though, and some of the music is nice too.

Heirs of Fate gets a dishonorable mention.

Currently replaying Awakening, and having a blast. (Also, why do the maps in Awakening look better? I can't put my thumb on whether it's the textures or art. I'm talking about the overhead view, not the battle view)

My favorite is Conquest. I really enjoyed the gameplay and the maps of It.

Least favorite is Revelation: I actually like it, but the maps are really, really bad, but having cross supports and the whole cast of fates in one path helps it from not being total crap for me.

I'll go based off of which one I enjoyed most in the first playthrough, which was BR.  It was solid enough a route, and contains some of my favorite characters.  People overemphasize the flaws of its gameplay, I feel; I think if I were to recommend some starting points for anyone who's new to FE, BR would be one of them.  CQ was fun too, but the terrible writing after C 15 effectively ruined my immersion; any enjoyment I got out of the story after was, for the most part, mere amusement at how stupid it was.  But for the most part, I was bashing my head against a wall, despising Corrin and the shitty narrative trying to make me out as a hero when the path I chose was effectively the path of evil pretending its good.  It'd be poetic if it wasn't so sloppily written.

Least favorite is probably Revelation, but I also think it gets more flak than it probably deserves.  Its story is atrocious (in fact, it's a major reason why Fates is a subpar story experience) and it has some egregious examples of map designs intended to pad out gameplay, but for what it's worth, I enjoyed grinding.  And first time through... it was a slog, but it was... alright.  Then again, I don't vehemently hate a story unless it makes a point to ridicule or offend its audience (unless its done in a tactful manner).  I know it doesn't seem like it, the way I talk about CQ, but lemme introduce you to a fun little concept: hyperbole.

This is hard for me to answer, but I went with gameplay and chose Conquest as my favourite and Rev as my least favourite (I struggle to bring myself to complete Rev whenever I replay it).

The longer answer is: Conquest has my favourite gameplay, Birthright my favourite characters, and Rev has my favourite support conversations.