Is Dew worth it?

InigoPadalin

Dew as a combat unit is hurt by his C sword rank and lack of Pursuit until promotion, plus low Strength and Defense bases. Once promoted, he does fairly well. His main use is getting money, particularly for those who can't fight well or at all in the arena. A 1-2 range magic sword can let him safely steal money at range.

As a father Dew has good physical growths to pass down (outside of HP- but that's not terrible) plus Bargain, and Sol for Ayra's kids, promoted Tinny, Patty, and Lynn. No Pursuit hurts, but if you can spare the Pursuit Ring, he can work for Diarmuid or Lester too.

You can do without Dew, I'd say the main factor is whether Edain and whatever other staff users you have need the money badly and don't have lovers who can provide it, nor reach villages. If everyone has a good source of funds, you can get by.

1 hour ago, InigoPadalin said:

I have Dew trapped by 10 Marpha Soldiers (I made him stop at the village, I regret it.). Should I restart it all, or just keep going without him?

That's what I always do to lure the barbarians out of Edin reach.

You're on the right track there.

None of them can make any harm to Dew.

Your remaining units can go there after conquering Genoa.

Edited by hanhnn

Dew only serves to grab money for all your other units.
There's absolute no point in rising him. (never saw him becoming a rogue yet anyways)
Chapter 1 and the last part of chapter 3 are the good chapters where he can grab lots of money.
Also good against priests of course.

As for the Marpha brigands I'm sure that very most of them have no hitrate against Dew if he's placed in a thicket.

He steals money from bandits in Chapter 1, gives Edain a Grinding Staff, and Laquesis an item to sell. Absolutely nothing else. His combat is garbage and he doesn't have a horse.

He can solo the Cross Knights as was proven by Shin in a draft, but he's more used for his fathering and gold stealing, along with the bridge in chapter 4.

Dew spends his first two chapters not doing very much, but he's really good at baiting the Cross Knights. A trained Dew makes chapter 4 a lot easier, and he's a pretty swanky dad!

On my playthrough with Dew, he's really not that much of use except in chapter 3 where you can use him to steal a sword from a certain big tower(Where Claud and Titlyu show up)

The only good thing about him is that he can give money to other units though honestly, you don't need it that often.

According to many here, he makes a good father atleast that's what some say. I never got him married cause kid marrying a grown up? sounds like child marriage to me.

Dew is not a good fighter.

However, his main purpose is to steal money from the enemies and to give money to some of the units in your army.
He's also useful for chapter 4 since he is the only character who can drop the bridge.

In my opinion he is a good father for Patty since he gives her Sol (and the Bargain skill). If Dew gets the wind sword in chapter 3, it will help Patty as well.  
Unlike him, Patty can be useful for battles.

Dew... Let's face it, before promotion he's not much in combat. Being left at C rank with only Sol as a combat skill at 3 strength is a pretty poor way to start, arguably worse than Arden. He can get Pursuit, A swords and great gains if he does though. So the question is if it's worth training him before that. The obvious moments to do so have already been said, so it's a matter of if you think it's worth it.

His being able to pass money on is also easy to control by having him buy objects (at cost) before passing the rest of the money on and then selling that object to have some money in his pocket, so that is a very nice niche (that Patty can only get by having him as her dad)

As a dad... I vouch. There's the obvious benefit to Brigged with his skills and growths. He's also a good dad for Ayra imo, up there with Lex and Holyn.

He's okay. If you use him, you'll be rich. If you don't, you won't have as much money, but honestly? You don't need that much money. Still, I use him whenever I get the chance to. He's a unit that can do well without much raising. 

Yes, Lachesis needs his cash. He's an awful dad and not worth ever promoting though. Patty needs Lex or Holyn if she ever plans to clear an arena, and Bargain on Ayra's kids is the most redundant thing ever.

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sol for promoted Tinny

no

Yes and no for Dew. Yes if you level him up and class change him and no if you don`t he is the worst unit not class changed in the 1st gen right there next to Sylvia ugh her growths..They hurt my eyes. 

You should use a tactic though it consumes time while you are still on chapter 1 called boss abuse Have Dew keep attacking Gandolf but not killing him till he hits Lv 20 then class change him asap it`s best to do it that way because he isn`t hitting 20/20 any other way he can`t kill nothing. He is pretty important for quite a few things mainly keeping the money flowing in he becomes better at stealing on promotion as you can send him on the front lines sometimes and the enemies will attack and miss him a lot but get money stolen. So yeah train him don`t forget the Wind Sword he gets on chapter 3 either at Blaggi Tower.

Edited by Naglfar94

The only enemy who can possibly hurt dew during the marpha segment is the leader of the mob. If dew is surrounded by generics, the leader can't get to him. Honestly, the big issue is the possibility that his sword breaks before you can get to him. note that there is a diagional path that avoids genoa and aria. Have averyone else make a bealine for dew, and deal with genoa afterward.

You really don't want dew to die because he is the only one who can trigger a secret event which is the only way to get the wind sword (there is no other way to get it, even in gen 2). THe event is triggered by having him stand on the tower of blagi in chapter 3. he is also involved in several conversation events that give really usefull items that you can't get until gen 2 otherwise. He is also the only one who can unlock a bridge in chapter 4 (by standing next to where he used to be). Without him, that part is really tedious. IMO, it would actualy be better to restart the game then to play without those events and items

As for actualy using dew other than to have those evennts, i would only recomend it if you are using him as a dad (he makes a good husband for brigid and aria). Lachesis and aideen need money, but you can easily have him engage a bandit or two to get money (you only have to hit them to steal thier money, even if you only do one damage.)

On 4/19/2017 at 0:59 PM, Lady Sansa said:

Yes, Lachesis needs his cash. He's an awful dad and not worth ever promoting though. Patty needs Lex or Holyn if she ever plans to clear an arena, and Bargain on Ayra's kids is the most redundant thing ever.

no

I feel like you're hamstringing Patty if your qualifications for a good dad mean that she can clear the arena. Extra damage helps, but again, she's a utility unit who doesn't need much more killing potential. She just needs to get in, and get out safely, and Dew as a father helps with that. Plus, Faval really loves his inheritance from Dew. While Faval isn't exactly the best unit, he's a great boss killer, especially for some of those more stubborn bosses that tend to pop up in gen 2.

Also, I'm not really sure how Lex increases her killing potential. Holyn, sure. She gets Moonlight, so arena Barons won't be as big of a problem, but Lex? She gets lower Str growth than Dew with him as a dad, and a whopping 1 extra base strength. She'll level up quickly, but Paragon could be put to use on other kids.

Dew serves multiple  and very practical purposes.

-Give a pretty the Warp Staff to Aiden. Should be given to her kid.
-Steals money. That's sound dumd but it is vital as all hell.
-Give the Thief Sword to Lachesis at Chapter 2. While not powerful it is able to,(un)surprisingly, steal money after attacking with it.
-Get the Wind sword at chapter 3. Get Dew to the tower. It's a very good sword that have 1-2 range (so steal without fear) and  should be given to the kids.
-After promoting, he'll (finally) be able to kick some ass.
-He is a hell of a good father for Patty and Faval. But mostly for Patty because she's a thief and have a better use of the Wind Sword and the Sol Skill.

12 hours ago, Slumber said:

I feel like you're hamstringing Patty if your qualifications for a good dad mean that she can clear the arena. Extra damage helps, but again, she's a utility unit who doesn't need much more killing potential. She just needs to get in, and get out safely, and Dew as a father helps with that. Plus, Faval really loves his inheritance from Dew. While Faval isn't exactly the best unit, he's a great boss killer, especially for some of those more stubborn bosses that tend to pop up in gen 2.

Also, I'm not really sure how Lex increases her killing potential. Holyn, sure. She gets Moonlight, so arena Barons won't be as big of a problem, but Lex? She gets lower Str growth than Dew with him as a dad, and a whopping 1 extra base strength. She'll level up quickly, but Paragon could be put to use on other kids.

There is no unit that needs Paragon more than Patty. Period.

Cash is plentiful in gen 2, so aside from Laylea needing a big cash dump, her utility isn't particularly interesting.

Ambush allows her to cheese the arena with the Sleep Sword. Theoretically she can do that regardless of her father, but Ambush requires significantly less RNG abuse.

And I don't really understand the Bargain Faval meme when Ichival is like the worst weapon in the game. Faval always uses the Killer Bow.

10 minutes ago, Lady Sansa said:

And I don't really understand the Bargain Faval meme when Ichival is like the worst weapon in the game.

I expect this to be fixed in the next Echoes game, IS. Yewfelle was pretty good in Awakening: keep it that way.

1 hour ago, Lady Sansa said:

And I don't really understand the Bargain Faval meme when Ichival is like the worst weapon in the game. Faval always uses the Killer Bow.

I don't quite get how a 30 Might weapon whose +10 Spd reduces the weight to the same 3 of the Killer Bow is the worst weapon in the game. 70 is low accuracy, I get it. And I get that it matters when you're player phase only.

But, you have Skill Rings- why not give Febail one? +10 Hit right there. 80 accuracy is the accuracy of a Silver Sword, and I've never heard of anyone who said Sigurd is a shoddy hitter.

Who else is going to use a Skill Ring? It's a mere 5% boost to Critical/Sword Skill characters. Someone who has to slay a boss with Authority Stars? Alright, I'll acknowledge that. Diarmuid? Fair enough, until he promotes that is. However the second Skill Ring comes in Chapter 6. Let Febail keep one ring, and give the other to someone else. Perhaps not 100% efficient, but fine for most players I'd think.

54 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't quite get how a 30 Might weapon whose +10 Spd reduces the weight to the same 3 of the Killer Bow is the worst weapon in the game. 70 is low accuracy, I get it. And I get that it matters when you're player phase only.

Likely hyperbole, but it's not exactly the best of the holy weapons considering the others you get access to. There's not much that the Killer Bow can't achieve with its innate critical and its 100 accuracy compared to the Ichieval. Both of them will murder anything that flies, and Faval isn't often going to be killing bosses for you. If anything the hit deficit means he might have a hard time hitting some bosses.

7 minutes ago, Shin said:

Likely hyperbole, but it's not exactly the best of the holy weapons considering the others you get access to. There's not much that the Killer Bow can't achieve with its innate critical and its 100 accuracy compared to the Ichieval. Both of them will murder anything that flies, and Faval isn't often going to be killing bosses for you. If anything the hit deficit means he might have a hard time hitting some bosses.

Having Ichieval frees up the Killer Bow so that Lester can use it.  A lame Holy weapon is still a pretty good weapon, after all.

22 minutes ago, Refa said:

Having Ichieval frees up the Killer Bow so that Lester can use it.  A lame Holy weapon is still a pretty good weapon, after all.

Pretty much gonna agree with this, it gives Lester some good shots to do.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But, you have Skill Rings- why not give Febail one? +10 Hit right there. 80 accuracy is the accuracy of a Silver Sword, and I've never heard of anyone who said Sigurd is a shoddy hitter.

Who else is going to use a Skill Ring? It's a mere 5% boost to Critical/Sword Skill characters. Someone who has to slay a boss with Authority Stars? Alright, I'll acknowledge that. Diarmuid? Fair enough, until he promotes that is. However the second Skill Ring comes in Chapter 6. Let Febail keep one ring, and give the other to someone else. Perhaps not 100% efficient, but fine for most players I'd think.

Also, Dew!faval Maxes skill on average, and sniper has a high base. It's still a problem when you first get him though.

That bineg said, bargen on faval is not nairely as good as bargen on patty (which is the real reason for this pairing , imo. Bargen and Give combo very well, because patty can buy an item, give money, and sell the item for the same price. This allows her to effectively give less than all of her money, which is really good.