Fire Emblem Movie?

Would anyone want a FE movie? All the games or at least most of them would make great movies, but every time a movie comes out based on a video game, it's usually crap. 

What do you think? Would you watch a Fire Emblem movie? If so, what game would you like it based on?

I'd watch a Fire Emblem movie, no doubt. I'm not sure if I would want it in CGI or 2D, though. I'm leaning on CGI as I thought the cutscenes in the newer games were pretty good, but I suppose 2D could work well depending on which production company were handling it.

My FE9 bias makes me want one starring Ike, but I wouldn't mind the other games getting on the "big screen." I honestly would like a FE movie about the earlier games - particularly the ones with Marth - as I'm quite ignorant of the story line and such.

2 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I'd watch a Fire Emblem movie, no doubt. I'm not sure if I would want it in CGI or 2D, though. I'm leaning on CGI as I thought the cutscenes in the newer games were pretty good, but I suppose 2D could work well depending on which production company were handling it.

My FE9 bias makes me want one starring Ike, but I wouldn't mind the other games getting on the "big screen." I honestly would like a FE movie about the earlier games - particularly the ones with Marth - as I'm quite ignorant of the story line and such.

One based on FE9 starring Ike would be very interesting in my eyes. 

One with Marth on the other hand, that would be pretty sweet. I feel like that would be something a lot of people would enjoy as well.

As big a fan I am of Fire Emblem, I would actually be afraid of them doing something like this. Movies based on video games have not been a winner, at least historically. The only one I even remotely liked was Prince of Persia.

Fire Emblem is such a huge game with a wide range of characters, so it would be hard to pack all of them into one movie and do them all justice. Plus, like if they did a Path of Radiance adaptation, they would probably shoehorn a romance between Ike and Elincia.

If it's done right, I could be behind it, but I don't know if anyone could do it right.

I think overall I would prefer a TV series over the film format just so that everything from story to characters to fight scenes would increase in terms of net quantity. Most opinions of a Fire Emblem show I've heard from this site usually are concerned with the difficulty of fitting so much of that in one or two seasons of a show. Now condense it further into a 90 minute film, you'll have to cut out a considerable amount if we're talking about an adaptation of an existing game.

For a Fire Emblem film, I think they would have to put their foot down and make it not an adaptation, but an original story with a condensed cast of no more than 12 heroes and villains total. Furthermore, I think live action is the way to go for Fire Emblem's case. The characters are human, and don't tell me the settings are too farfetched to put to screen in practical effects and CGI. Tell that to Hogwartz, Middle Earth, and Narnia. 

I don't think a movie studio in their right mind would green-light a Fire Emblem movie, especially a Hollywood studio. Not high profile enough to attract big name stars; the most units sold for this series I remember reading was around 1.9 million; while great for this series, just a small fraction compared to franchise like Pokemon, Warcraft or Assassin's Creed. 

Personally speaking I feel that this series doesn't lend itself to movies well. And whatever elements that can lend themselves well to movies have already been well in other movies. They are both two very different forms of entertainment. You can't replicate the gameplay experience (the most important part of a video game) in a movie without something being lost in translation. 

If it was respectfully done and done by a reputable animation studio (preferably Japanese, since they're probably the most trustworthy in terms of honoring the source material loL), I'd be all for it. I think Tellius would make for the best films, either the events of Por or RD or even both, though Marth and the Archanea saga would probably be good as well, since (I haven't played them, but) IIRC they're the most geared toward plot and writing and focus less on individual character interactions, which seems the most practical in terms of a film adaptation (though this is somewhat true of Tellius as well). 

Tellius might be the best one to adapt to a TV series in that regard, though, since they have a lot of charming character interactions at their bases and whatnot IIRC (from what I remember of RD anyway). 

I think a Fire Emblem TV series would make much more sense, as the character list is usually quite large in a Fire Emblem game. Honestly I think either Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (as that one is considered to have one of the best if not the best Fire Emblem story and a lot of the important topics in that story intertwine quite well with current issues), or Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (as that was the first Fire Emblem game and it would be a great opportunity to expand the plot and character background while staying true to the source material; one idea I had was a scene where a battered and beaten Camus is brought before Medeus for allowing Nyna to escape, and Medeus, while angrily yelling at Camus, actually has a moment of empathy with Camus about choosing conscience over duty (when he chose to become a Manakete knowing that the rest of his people did not make that choice and succumbed to madness), which only fuels his anger even more, as that decision scars him heavily, and he describes his decision of making the Dohlr Empire as being one of duty to the remaining manaketes) would be good choices for a Fire Emblem TV series. Anime could work, though I would also consider live action since one would not actually need a lot of CGI: flying mounts, magic, and laguz/manaketes.

Of course, my bias would want a Tellius movie that slightly changes Ike and Elincia's relationship to gradually become romantic (with this bit as a side thing though, nothing affecting the main plot and such), but it's true that many video game-based movies end up being crap...

That said, I'd definitely trust Disney if they got their hands on this. They've made all my favorite fantasy and romances in movies. <3

I'd probably prefer an anime/cartoon series though, with each chapter serving as an episode.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd be kinda interested, but I can't say my hopes would be very high.

-Most Fire Emblems do not have great plot writing. I wouldn't care about this series if not for gameplay, something by definition a movie can't have.
-Most video game to movie adaptations have been some shade of terrible.

In principle a FE movie being good is possible, but the odds seem incredibly against it.