Name's the Same

bethany81707

What Fire Emblem characters share names with non-Fire Emblem characters in works you enjoy, and does this association ever occur to you?

I was vaguely inspired for this topic by coming across the fact that Sailor Pluto's common name is Setsuna- and now I can never take the Fates one seriously again. Or is that the other way around?

Coming from the other direction, I had a few laughs reading Harry Potter again, and coming across several minor characters with names more famous in Fire Emblem- all three that come to mind from Half Blood Prince. (Hector Dagworth-Granger, the potioneer whom Slughorn believed Hermione to be descended from, Tom Riddle Sr's first girlfriend Cecilia, and Katie Bell's best friend Leanne).

I read Le Morte d'Arthur a few years ago as I mentioned in another topic. While I do not recommend it at all, it was funny seeing all the King Arthur characters in it and constantly having the image of their FE versions in mind.

Sir Gareth is awesome. Sir Pelleas was pretty darn good. Sir Gawain is fairly complex for an Arthurian knight. A bit underhanded (at one point he sleeps with Ettard- the lady whom Pelleas is infatuated with and who he asks Gawain to convince to finally accept his love), he is nonetheless one of the better, though certainly not top tier knights in pure power.

Bors is chaste (he did it once) apparently- no surprise there. Perceval is a virgin and the second holiest knight around, though he almost makes love with the devil. Barth I recall was okay. Merlin(us) is kinda of an old lech, and also evil for letting Arthur copulate with his sister. Guinevere makes Lachesis look pure with her continual romance with Lance(lot).

There is also a knight called Breunis Sans Pites if I remember his name right. All he does is randomly pop in on horseback, lance somebody, and then say his name and run off before being caught. I wouldn't seeing such a character appear in FE- it'd be delightfully annoying.

There happens to be a very subpar DS RPG called Nostalgia which I once owned, the healer in that game, Fiona, is just as awful at healing as FE Fiona is at everything without gigantic favoritism (though at least the former Fiona can pass her turns to others).

I've been playing Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, and the Gwendolyn in that game is far better than the one in FE6.

Titania/Tiamat of Tellius always brings to mind Titania and Tiamat of SMT. The former is generally useful and looks fairly nice in her green dress design. The latter, not so much (though it was useful in IV).

While it isn't a same name situation, Welkin from Valkyria Chronicles looks so much like Male Robin, though I haven't compared them closely.

Edit: How could I forget Bravely Second gives Kamiizumi a cat named Tsubaki? Still more useful than Mr. Imperfect.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

After Tsukuyomi got localized to Hayato, I found it a very big shame no one got name changed to Musashi or Benkei. Because between Ryouma and Hayato, that's two thirds of the Getter Team right there.

Cain and Abel, but that's pretty obvious.

Though the whole "Jesus being from Seth's lineage" deal made FE8 Seth's broknness a lot funnier.

Gaius from Awakening and Gaius from Tales of Xillia. I liked both charries so much, I named my gecko, Gaius, after them xD

Feena is similar. There's a character called Fina in Skies of Arcadia. I liked the ties to both games, so I called my biggest snake Fina :D

There's probably more, but those stand out most in my mind for obvious reasons ^.^

Roy and Roy Koopa is a pretty obvious one since it's basically a meme that they share a name.

There's a character named Maribel in DQVII, which is rather similar to Maribelle.  

On that note, the PS1 translation's name for Keifer's descendant was Aira, which is similar to a certain Isaach princess (the 3DS translation changes her name to Aishe).

The Japanese name of the Prince of Coburg in DQV is Henry which is shared by an Awakening character (their names are different in English though, the Prince of Coburg is Harry in the localization).  

Nobody's mentioned Sakura? I know two anime characters with the same name. One is from Naruto (I always hated her though), and there was a character named Sakura in the Pokemon anime. She appeared a few times and her main Pokemon is an Espeon. She's the one whose big sisters are the kimono girls.

There's also a Mia in Golden Sun. I know of her because my co-author played those games.

And how about Oscar the grouch from Sesame Street? lol

These aren't things I actually enjoy much myself (except for the Pokemon anime once in awhile). I can't think of much that I actually do enjoy that have characters with the same names.

Edited by Anacybele

In the same vein, there is a character in Naruto also called Hinata, although she is probably the polar opposite of Hinata in Fates. There is also a female Tsubaki in the anime Soul Eater. Also, Orochi is an eight headed kaiju in Godzilla.

Setsuna is also the main character of Gundam 00.  Also, he's a dude because Setsuna is a MAN'S NAME.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Nobody's mentioned Sakura? I know two anime characters with the same name. One is from Naruto (I always hated her though), and there was a character named Sakura in the Pokemon anime. She appeared a few times and her main Pokemon is an Espeon. She's the one whose big sisters are the kimono girls.

There are a million Sakuras in anime, though. Ranging from pure-hearted sweethearts to psychotic darlings with a huge inferiority complex. :D

Sakura is how the cherry blossom tree is called in Japan, and is simply such a cute name, you really can't go wrong with it.

Edited by Cerberus87

6 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

In the same vein, there is a character in Naruto also called Hinata, although she is probably the polar opposite of Hinata in Fates. There is also a female Tsubaki in the anime Soul Eater. Also, Orochi is an eight headed kaiju in Godzilla.

Orochi is named after the eight-headed dragon from Japanese mythology. I know that once because of Okami.

You fight the guy three times and it's a fairly lengthy battle. Also, his first encounter is as the Disc One Final Boss that gets nothing but buildup.

7 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Orochi is named after the eight-headed dragon from Japanese mythology. I know that once because of Okami.

I know that. I didn't want to state Okami Orochi because I know someone else would. Not a lot of people know about Toho monsters. Also, the movie that has Orochi in it also has a character called Tsukuyomi.

37 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I know that. I didn't want to state Okami Orochi because I know someone else would. Not a lot of people know about Toho monsters. Also, the movie that has Orochi in it also has a character called Tsukuyomi.

There's a Tsukuyomi in Fates (I assume)? I'm also kinda sure he's also a character in Japanese mythology.

I've got another one: Both Jaffar and Ursula are Disney villains (Aladdin and The Little Mermaid, respectively). Kind of funny they're not only in the same game, but actually know each other.

52 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I've got another one: Both Jaffar and Ursula are Disney villains (Aladdin and The Little Mermaid, respectively). Kind of funny they're not only in the same game, but actually know each other.

i always wondered if this was on purpose

it's even funnier cause there's also an FE character named Iago

and it came full circle in heroes where jaffar's english voice actor is the same as iago's

5 minutes ago, unique said:

i always wondered if this was on purpose

it's even funnier cause there's also an FE character named Iago

and it came full circle in heroes where jaffar's english voice actor is the same as iago's

I don't think there are any other ones, though. Closest are the Hades tiles in Radiant Dawn.