Ideas for Luck-Based Skills

Falcom

What's always kept me wondering is the lack of luck in the game (besides summoning). And while I do think it's good not to make the game so luck-based since that would unfair at times, I've wanted to know what it would be like if luck was somehow included in the battle mechanics.

Specifically, if they were passive skills. I don't they it'd be easy for them to include luck in special skills. And while I do think it's possible with assist skills, I also don't they it would be of any 'assist' if luck was involved. So I'm gonna have to say no luck on assist skills. However, passive skills seems to be a likely candidate since there are skills such as Life and Death or Triangle Adept that have advantages but also downsides. Luck can work similarly like that, where it offers an advantage to the unit if lucky but a disadvantage if not (or just nothing happens if unlucky and ends that unit's turn). Obviously, these skills should not offer game-breaking rewards for being lucky.

This thread is dedicated to discussing about the idea of luck-based skills as well as creating any new skills involving luck. I'll start with my (crappy) ideas:

Name of Skill: *insert skill name here* (Too lazy to think of one)
Slot: A (since this skill is too similar to Defiant skills and Life and Death)
Idea: Possibly grants +6 DEF/RES if enemy initiates attack. Chance for this to occur increases with less HP (Maximum is 50% if unit has < 5/10% HP).
Notes: These changes would not show in the battle forecast.

Name of Skill: All or Nothing
Slot: Slot A I guess? Slot A it is.
Idea: If unit initiates attack against a unit that can counter-attack, 25% for +6 Atk. 25% for -6 Def/Res. 50% of nothing happening.
Notes: Made this skill as an excuse to listen to the actual song.

Edited by Falcom

I think the game has a comfortable niche in the series by not using RNG for the battle system. Luck based performance would be especially frustrating in the Arena where a single unforseen outcome could equal the end of your run.

I really miss the hit/dodge element. Hope they will implement it, even if need to nerf it heavily (mobile casual players who only want to spend 15 mins on the game will go nuts if the hit/dodge rate is at the normal FE level). 

It will immediately be a meta changing factor though, considering all high speed units will take a huge advantage.

I mean I never actually cared/wanted RNG mechanics. It's really just a "what if" there was thread.

1 hour ago, Falcom said:

I mean I never actually cared/wanted RNG mechanics. It's really just a "what if" there was thread.

It would be interesting, but I agree with others. Sometimes it just too stressing relying on a crit/ability to activate or you lose. This is a nice casual game where strategy exists but for the most part is straightforward. No figuring things out, no chances, no misses, just straight up what it says on the screen.

And we all know that if Luck skills were implemented Arthur would immedietly be F-- Tier (even though he isn't that noteworthy to begin with)

I think rng activations might be a good idea for skills that reward orbs or feathers, at a very low rate of course

Something like: 

B Skill: If your team is all Green Units and you win against a same level team with at least 2 reds you have a 5/7/10% Chance to obtain an orb/200 Feathers( all allies must survive).

Similar little challenges like this one might be a good way to spend your stamina and the rng prevents it from giving out to many orbs/feathers.

For skills that directly affect gameplay I dont want to see rng based skills for reasons already stated by the other posters.

12 hours ago, Nathair said:

B Skill: If your team is all Green Units and you win against a same level team with at least 2 reds you have a 5/7/10% Chance to obtain an orb/200 Feathers( all allies must survive).

Similar little challenges like this one might be a good way to spend your stamina and the rng prevents it from giving out to many orbs/feathers.

That's a neat idea, honestly, but I don't think luck needs to play a part of it. It's already challenging enough to defeat enemies you have WTD against, let alone adding a luck factor on top of it.

16 hours ago, goodperson707 said:

What Arthur is great at rng activation, he even makes it easier for the enemy to activate theirs. 

True, but I wasn't talking about gameplay hehe. The whole unlucky trope? Y'know