Your least favorite matchups

NekoKnight

By now, most people likely have an Arena team that can handle the bulk of what the game has to throw at you but do you ever encounter enemies that make you groan every time?

My arena team is Effie, Marth, Jaffar and Olivia (substituted for a bonus character if I must). Effie murders any physical unit unless they are green, which is where Marth steps in. Jaffar exists to bait and kill ranged units and to weaken or enemies for my Marth and Effie to finish off. Olivia is there to help Jaffar 2 round an enemy and give Effie the much needed movement. So what really pisses on my parade? It's a collection of ranged characters.

The one I despise the most is Reinhardt, because he can one round 3/4 of my characters if he attacks and I can't one round him with any of my characters. Even worse, he has vantage so my best bet is let Effie suffer a crippling hit and then let Jaffar take a crippling hit just to kill him. The other enemies that give me trouble are 34+ speed ranged units, that Jaffar can't double (although Marth's Spur Speed can help). Another annoyance is +Def Takumi who I can't one round with Jaffar AND will have a Retribution boosted Vantage the next time I attack him.  The final hurdle is Setsuna and Kagero who hard counter Jaffar and require Effie to remove.

What is your team and what characters give you the biggest headaches?

1. Reinhardt if I didn't deploy Nino for whatever reason

2. Linde if I didn't deploy Nino for whatever reason

3. Dancers in cramped maps with narrow pathways or lots of terrain

4. Catria, Cordelia, and Hinoka in tight maps without space

5. Anything with wings of mercy. Fuck enemy wings of mercy.

I didn't put in Nino because I have an assortment of reds who can usually deal with her, because her HP and defense are so low.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

5. Anything with wings of mercy. Fuck enemy wings of mercy.

Right? That's actually the first thing I look for when I check the enemy skills. Those enemies are always the first that need to die.

While Reinhard is pretty scary, I almost never run into him, and only a deadblow +atk one would be scary since my -res Nino can't tank him.

My main fear is Kagero, since nobody on my team (Nino, M!Corrin, Takumi and Shareena) can take a hit from her. Corrin can one round her, but it's still difficult to position evrything without getting anyone in her range when I also have to handle the rest of the team.

Other than that, teams with a dancer are usually a pain, because it makes predicting the AI a lot more difficult.

If it's one character that I hate facing, it's Tharja. Tharja is really annoying and is stupidly fast. What's more is that I inconveniently face her in that map with your teams being separated by two big walls. 

I really dislike nino or any really res-tanky green units because reinhardt boosted by the cavalry squad is my main damage output and usually someone scary to reinhardt requires me to rush eliwood in which always results in him dead

Team is Ninian (+Atk -Res)

Lilina (+Spd -Res)

Ephraim (+Spd -Res)

and a bonus unit, currently Alm (+Spd -Res)

(don't ask me how I got those IVs, it just happens)

Biggest threat is Reinhardt, but only when combined with a Dancer or Horse Emblem. On his own, he runs ahead and gets doubled and ORKOd by everyone on the team, even Lilina, as long as I attack on player phase. With a Dancer though, he becomes unpredictable and much harder to deal with. A full cavalry team also provides problems due to overlapping unit ranges, making it hard to kill him without putting one of my units in danger.

Linde, Tharja and Kagero are all threats, but I can usually dance Ephraim over to one shot them.

Bows are a non issue since Lilina has bowbreaker. She also deals with the green mage meta quite well.

Triangle Adept M!Robin has also become an annoyance ever since I replaced Michalis on the team. However, Ninian does double him for decent damage after a hone Spd buff.

Armours are a joke on defense, and I don't see myself using Armours on an arena team due to lol1mov, but I might make an exception for Hector if I pull him.

Hector is the only one I really dread, Built in Quick Riposte +Distant Counter is scary since I largely rely on killing things before they can attack me.  Leo CAN on occasion survive a round, at least, letting Klein or Cecilia finish him off.

Any more than one Hector is no.

25 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Bows are a non issue since Lilina has bowbreaker. She also deals with the green mage meta quite well.

Triangle Adept M!Robin

Hm, maybe I'll try out that bowbreaker Lilina. The problem with her though is she would get doubled by a lot of common threats, including Reinhardt that always gives me trouble. Oh and TA M!Robin...I don't think the meta is in favor of non-Kagero dagger users.

22 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Hector is the only one I really dread, Built in Quick Riposte +Distant Counter is scary since I largely rely on killing things before they can attack me.  Leo CAN on occasion survive a round, at least, letting Klein or Cecilia finish him off.

And at least half of the Hector's I encounter have Vantage too. I'm glad I have Marth, the perfect counter with his higher def and built in healing. But if Marth dies before Hector, that's a game over for me.

Edited by NekoKnight

Full cavalry is probably going to be trouble, but I don't think my team wouldn't be able to handle it as long as it's a balanced cavalry team that isn't all magic.

I think the only teams that could possibly break through mine if I play perfectly would need to have one of the following:

• 3 or more Reinhardts (Cecilia can probably tank 2)
  • 3 or more Litrblade+ cavalry units with Hone Cavalry (probably can't out-maneuver them for favorable match-ups)
  • 3 or more Draconic Aura Brave Axe+ fliers (Sophia can probably tank 2)
  • 3 or more Spring Camilla with Gronnblade+ and Hone Fliers (Sophia can probably tank 2)

26 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Hm, maybe I'll try out that bowbreaker Lilina. The problem with her though is she would get doubled by a lot of common threats, including Reinhardt that always gives me trouble. Oh and TA M!Robin...I don't think the meta is in favor of non-Kagero dagger users.

If any red unit is ever in range of Reinhardt on Reinhardt's turn, you've done something horribly wrong.

I tend to dread not being able to respond to a lot of units on player phase:

Linde (Just..... If I can't get Cherche in I'm utterly wrecked by her), Reinhardt (Pretty obvious why), Ninian (Fast Dancer who can double and 3-shot Cherche? No thank you), Azura (Speedy and strong? And can Dance? Yeah, she isn't fun to fight as part of a tough group), Nowi (Tanky and pretty much always counters hard.), An unchecked Brave Lance user (Certainly more common than the other brave weapons, is a concern if they're strong enough) . Cherche at 5* would likely change things.

Spring Camilla (High enough defence and speed to double Cherche and Selena isn't doing too much to her), Nino (I think she speaks for herself. Selena can tank well, but otherwise I'm dead), Hector (Only with Wings of Mercy, Selena demolishes him otherwise), Julia (Sends shivers, and if Selena's dead I'm pretty much screwed), 

Tharja (Well, it's the only reason I have Red Tomebreaker on Robin), Olivia (if there's a threat besides her on the field. Not much herself), Y!Tiki (If I've played poorly and Robin is dead sure. Otherwise not a problem). Most reds are easily dead.

Kagero (Robin can't double without having low enough health and she's taking at least half his health on EP. Selena can't deal half as well), Jaffar (I'm amazed how rare he seems to be, guy's dangerous). No bows (Barring Vengeance on Takumi, which usually doesn't happen) or staves because M!Robin is a trainwrecker.

Mostly it's because of a dancer. Of course, this ignores stuff like flying or horse teams.

I clearly am not amazing at this game and should adjust my team.

My team is Sharena/Lilina/Catria/Michalis. No idea yet whom to replace in the week after the next, I'll figure sonething out.
My least favourite enemies are speedy mages. I'm so sick of Lindes and Tharjas at this point.

I don't encounter Kagero that often, and I have Michalis and Catria on lookout for her. Jaffar I've just overwhelmed a battle ago.

I don't like facing brave bows, I can't let Bowbreaker Lilina counterkill them! They still melt when she initiates.

Reinhardt.

Dancers making everything less predictable.

My team is Felicia, Selena, Sharena, and bonus unit, for me I have trouble with:

• Wings of Mercy on Dancers, always ruining my deathless if I can't one round someone. Sometimes the AI is unpredictable by moving first and not dancing anyone which adds more to the difficulties.
  • If the team is made up of Fury + Vantage characters, chips away the health of my units which is annoying and can result in a defeat if I play it wrong.
  • Blade Tome users like LInde, Nino, and Spring Camilla, and if the team is well built that its difficult to separate the buffers, normally Felicia has no problem but she has her limits.
  • Robin(M) with TA, Felicia can't take care of him, and really annoying to take out if I can't bring a green unit or if he's backed up by other units which makes engaging dangerous. 

My team is: Julia, Eirika, Ryoma, Sharena. Julia and Ryoma is a mainstay in my team.

My least favorable matchup so far is Bonfire tank combined with Reciprocal Aid ally.

Full Cavalry team can give me trouble depending on the map I got thrown into. Super Blade-centric team will destroy my team because they're the anti-thesis of my playstyle.

Edited by pianime94

I usually run a Sanaki/Nino/Linde/Azura team, though I tried switching out Azura for Lukas this season and it worked well. I usually can bait and destroy dangerous ranged units with one of my 3 mages and then have Lukas take care of red and blue melee units, so nothing really poses me troubles. 

More often then not it's the map that cost me a win. I can usually handle flyer emblem, but I always have trouble against them on the mountain and forest map.

Reinhardt and m!Robin are pretty big problems for me at the moment ~___~ I had to swap from using Cherche to Cecilia just to stand a chance against them for the time being (fortunately I happened to have one of each at 4* lv40 trained up haha ;; )

I also got a team with Eldigan and Julia that my team struggled with; those two individually aren't a huge problem, but... my Tiki or my own TriAdept m!Robin are my main means of dealing with Eldigan and they both get wrecked by Julia; Kagero can deal with Julia, but not while in range of Eldigan OTL ;; IDR how but I managed to scrape through with a victory after sacking someone.

Multiple mages or cav teams...

Most of my characters are -res or naturally low res. So a team with a lot of mages wreck pretty much any team I make. My best bet against them now is using Klein to one-round them, but if he's killed, I'm finished. Dragons do magic damage as well, but most of them are easily handled by Marth.

I got obliterated by the only cavalry team I ever faced in the arena. But others agreed that they're scary, so it isn't just me here.

Edited by Anacybele

I use Julia, Abel, Baby Tiki, Takumi and whichever Bonus unit I need to switch in, usually.

Vantage/Close/Distant Counter are the big ones for me.  Hector isn't too bad with it, since my Tiki murders him, but Takumi or Ryoma with this can be trouble.  Dancers in general on certain maps are a pain.

Nino is highly map dependent.  Usually I can handle her okay.

My team is Draug, M!Robin, Julia, and Camilla.

I have a check for most everything, but there are some characters that are largely problematic with specific builds/team set-ups.

-Julia has Green Tomebreaker, but if I happen to run into a Fury or Life and Death Nino with Green Tomebreaker and buffs, life is hard since she can 2HKO everything on my team. Draug can't approach easily, and although he can tank a hit thanks to Wary Fighter, if Nino decides to follow a melee character that he can't one-shot all over the place, things become problematic. I dealt with a Nino like this once, she followed freakin' Eirika incessantly. Why Eirika of all people...!

-I've fought a cavalry team of Eldigan, Cecilia, Reinhardt, and... Bunny Camilla, I think. The Cecilia was between the other two cavalry units, thus started with both Hone and Fortify Cavalry bonuses. I was completely not paying attention the fact that she had Gronnblade+ instead of Gronnraven+, and my Julia proceeded to get one-shot. That is such a freakin' terrifying set-up. +Atk Cecilia with Fury, Gronnblade+, and those boosts can two-shot Triangle Adept Lilina (who can't one-shot before that second hit unless she's +Atk), for crying out loud.

11 minutes ago, Delfino said:

My team is Draug, M!Robin, Julia, and Camilla.

I have a check for most everything, but there are some characters that are largely problematic with specific builds/team set-ups.

-Julia has Green Tomebreaker, but if I happen to run into a Fury or Life and Death Nino with Green Tomebreaker and buffs, life is hard since she can 2HKO everything on my team. Draug can't approach easily, and although he can tank a hit thanks to Wary Fighter, if Nino decides to follow a melee character that he can't one-shot all over the place, things become problematic. I dealt with a Nino like this once, she followed freakin' Eirika incessantly. Why Eirika of all people...!

-I've fought a cavalry team of Eldigan, Cecilia, Reinhardt, and... Bunny Camilla, I think. The Cecilia was between the other two cavalry units, thus started with both Hone and Fortify Cavalry bonuses. I was completely not paying attention the fact that she had Gronnblade+ instead of Gronnraven+, and my Julia proceeded to get one-shot. That is such a freakin' terrifying set-up. +Atk Cecilia with Fury, Gronnblade+, and those boosts can two-shot Triangle Adept Lilina (who can't one-shot before that second hit unless she's +Atk), for crying out loud.

Eirika is Nino's best buddy, since she gives buffs to both Atk and Spd, giving Nino a +7 Bonus, which makes her damage crazy.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Eirika is Nino's best buddy, since she gives buffs to both Atk and Spd, giving Nino a +7 Bonus, which makes her damage crazy.

Right? The AI doesn't actually have any recognition of that, though, so that's why it was frustrating that, out of the three other people on that team, Nino had chosen her to follow after...

Just now, Delfino said:

Right? The AI doesn't actually have any recognition of that, though, so that's why it was frustrating that, out of the three other people on that team, Nino had chosen her to follow after...

One of the worst things to see is an Eirika/Nino pair where the Nino keeps drawing the Eirika back, causing a nearly inseparable pair. 

Depends on the team I am running. 

My team is usually Lyn/Marth, Sharena/Effie, Nino/Kagero, Anna/Kagero/Bonus Unit

Currently Running Lyn, Sharena, Nino, Anna. Though I flipped around units all season this is the team that got the deathless run though.

most of my loses are to dancers as they can be unpredictable at times and direct nino counter teams (multiple red mages with eirkia and lots of green tome breaker). The direct counter teams are rare enough that running my Bunny Lunica is not worth it but man the one time I ran into that team was brutal.

Wings of Mercy is also annoying if I forget to look at skills.

Edited by Locke087