Regarding promotions in gaiden

Mrguy_123

So I'm currently at chapter 3 and judging by the world map, I see second and even third tier enemies.

The point is, one of my units are ready to promote (Clive at Level 7 to be specific). Since gaiden growth rates are very low, is there much of a point of me to wait until Level 20 to promote or should I promote immediately?

Provided we are indeed talking about the original game, just promote immediately. There are really only three instances where you'd want to bother getting a character to level 20 before promotion.

• Their name is Alm or Celica, and thus they have actually decent growths and have less flexibility regarding when they can promote
  • They are a female Mage who cannot promote until level 20 anyway
  • You are at the end of the game and have found the Entombed spawn for each army as well as their respective Angel Ring, and don't mind wasting a little bit of time for those sick double gainz

Promotion gains in Gaiden are New class base stats - Current stats so waiting tends to not be worth it at all. EXP gain also is effected much more harshly based on your level rather than on your class so you'll find your units level faster if you promote them as well.

May as well promote right away.

I think promoting increases a units stats to the base stats of their promoted class.

At least, when I promoted three level 8 mercenaries, they all had the exact same stats as a level 1 myrmidon even though their stats before promotion were very different (except for luck and resistance, those were unique to the characters).