Grinding in dungeons... [spoilers]

This was brought to my attention by a reddit thread that I was 50% sure was a hoax. Turns out it's legit.

echoes-thieves-garuda.png

I do not know the full mechanics, but if you hang around in a dungeon long enough strong enemies can appear on the field. I was using my Chapter 3 save to hunt for Garudas in the Thieves' Shrine. You can also encounter Dracul as early as Chapter 1 (which is the example in the reddit thread).

Dunno if going in and out of the dungeon works; I refreshed the spawns by going in and out of the Mila Shrine.

Here's the full list of rare enemies

Note: I don't know if the trigger is the same for all of them. So it's possible some dungeons have shorter/longer triggers, for example.

Edited by VincentASM

Going in and out of the dungeons worked for me, I, having forgotten about rare monsters, ran into a Titan in the Dragon Shrine after I left to switch party members. Except I didn't see it because of the camera and it got the jump on me.

I take it the spawn locations are random as well?

I almost jumped out of my skin when a Titan ambushed me while training in the Lost Woods.

It looked so intimidating. Well, until Sonya got a crit on it, killing it immediately. Still spooky though.

2 hours ago, Soledai said:

Going in and out of the dungeons worked for me, I, having forgotten about rare monsters, ran into a Titan in the Dragon Shrine after I left to switch party members. Except I didn't see it because of the camera and it got the jump on me.

I take it the spawn locations are random as well?

Spawn locations are fixed as far as I know.

Haha, I'm gonna have to try grinding in the Dragon Shrine now.

3 hours ago, Soledai said:

this bodes a question: can you escape battles when caught in one?

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Yeah, you actually can. I haven't tried it yet, though; it may come with a penalty.

I think the 3 turns is the penalty. Good luck keeping your units out of range of those strong enemies XD

I encountered one pretty early on, and unfortunately (IIRC) I was careless and lost a unit... then probably reset or something... it feels like a while ago, so I can't remember. I may have been able to use Mila's turnwheel to get out of that (assuming it wasn't Alm who died), but it was so early on I think I wasn't in the mindset of that yet (IIRC it was the first dungeon), so yeah.

I might have encountered one since, but I don't remember... it's a neat idea but seems like something that's just fun to chance upon: I can't see myself wanting to spend time looking for them, especially if all they offer are inflated stats and such.

Edited by Crimson Red

On 4/23/2017 at 4:42 PM, Armagon said:

What do these Titans look like? I can't find them on the Wiki.

20 hours ago, LoyalKing32 said:

I wonder what they look like....

Here's a Titan I found while cutting grass in the Lost Woods.

echoes-titan1.png

echoes-titan2.pngechoes-titan3.png

21 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

That is true...

Also @VincentASM, you can read Chinese?

Yar.

It's nice how Chinese and Japanese grammar structure is very similar, a lot more than Japanese-English. For obvious reasons.

27 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Here's a Titan I found while cutting grass in the Lost Woods.

echoes-titan1.png

echoes-titan2.pngechoes-titan3.png

Ah ok. The wiki lists them as Wights, which is probably why I didn't recognize them. But still, they look genuinely creepy. I love it.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah ok. The wiki lists them as Wights, which is probably why I didn't recognize them. But still, they look genuinely creepy. I love it.

Hmm, I think somebody should correct that.

Titans are a completely different beast... Literally. They are undead giants.

If anything, the Lich should be classified a Wight, but it's not entirely the same either.

You don't really need to exit the dungeon and re-enter it to make rare enemies spawn, switching areas also works. I had grinded like hell back in Thief Shrine and that was what happened for me with the Dracul.

thanks Captain Obvious

6 minutes ago, Ennui said:

Guess I'll have to be very careful exploring dungeons early on if stronger than average monsters can spawn at random. How grind heavy is this game anyway?

I played through Normal/Classic and it wasn't bad at all, just a few points here and there to bring party members up to speed, as main battles let you bring everyone along. Currently starting Hard now, so I'll see if it gives me the same kindness.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

7 minutes ago, Ennui said:

Guess I'll have to be very careful exploring dungeons early on if stronger than average monsters can spawn at random. How grind heavy is this game anyway?

Seems pretty grind heavy, especially for Chapter 6. A few fan reviews have said that Chapter 6 will rip your characters a new asshole if you arent prepared for it. And by prepared for it I mean grinding. Thats just on Normal, so you can imagine what Hard is like.

DLC should make some of it easier when it releases, but I probably wont invest in DLC myself like I did in the past. Farming a dungeon seems like it will be good enough for me. Especially with this bit of news, gives a little more incentive to grind away, at least for me. I will gladly get my ass kicked by whatever the hell that creature is to see if I can kill it.

Edited by Tolvir

The game punish you for grinding or is it a high risk high reward thing ?

Tfw you kill things easy-peasy, then bam, big goldy ennemy that can insta kill you. :p

I've done so much grinding but haven't encountered either of those yet. They're pretty creepy, so maybe that's a good thing.

I did encounter those giant red-armored enemies(Majins, I think), but they were fairly easy to kill.They still gave me a good scare, though!

15 hours ago, Tsak said:

is that yellow lighting around them because you're inspecting them or is that just like how rare enemies are?

Yup, as mentioned, they actually glow yellow. It looks a lot more sinister in motion; the yellow kind of fades in and out.

I would love to take a video if I could, but that will have to wait until the English release (since my capture 3DS is PAL).