Questions to Ask After A Job Interview

Randoman

So do you guys/gals on SF have any particular favourite questions to ask after a job interview, in regards to questions that'll impress the job interviewer and leave a good impression on them? For the purpose of this thread, we'll assume that the job is something relatively professional that'd require a university/college degree, or at least be an office related job for those not at the post secondary level.

I know there's a lot of recommended questions to ask after a job interview online, but I can't help but think some of them sound particularly cheesy or unnatural, and I want the interviewer to think I'm being natural and sincere. I mean, questions like "what is the biggest issue your employees currently face and how can I address this issue?" kind of make it sound like you've been hitting the job interview FAQs and manuals a bit too hard.

As for questions I think are good to ask after an interview, the only one I can think of is "if I were to start right now and all the training and hiring paperwork was taken care of, what would you have me currently working on?" I mean, it sounds natural enough, it shows interest in the job, and you're making the employer think of you being hired and working in that position (which will hopefully get you the job position if you did good enough during the interview). I know ideally, 3 questions or more after the interview is the amount that should be asked.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions I've asked.

1)  What opportunities within the company/organization do you have for training and professional development?  (particularly good for IT jobs, trade jobs, and anything requiring certifications or licenses really)

Safe and great question to ask.  Shows you're vested in improving yourself and what you can actually do for your employer.  In the case of contracts this can even lead to salary increases and the contract being able to go back and advocate for more money from the client. It benefits everyone involved you get to expand your skills and your employer gets more capability and work out of you.

This one applies to contract jobs and you are completely within in your right to ask (as a matter of fact the interviewer will be expecting it)

2)  How long is the contract and when is it up for renewal?

Nothing wrong with this question at all.  Not only that but it typically shows that you are looking for something longer term and are not going to just up and leave after 6 months or so which is a huge problem companies deal with.  Alternatively, it gives you piece of mind and more information about the job itself. If they say that the contract is up for renewal again in a mere couple of months to year I would typically stay away from it (as that probably means they are just trying to fill the position till the end of the contract just so they can charge the client) though it depends on your situation.

For any contract to hire or 6 month to hire positions

3)  What needs to be seen from me to bring me on full time in X months?

Again fair question to ask.  Shows that you are genuinely interested in performing well and that you want to be there.  Its also a good way to set straight what they are going to be expecting from you performance wise and what you need to be prepared to do.  Good way to also subtly clear up any confusion you have about the job description without sounding clueless or unprofessional.

Hope those help.