Can somebody provide a summary of character's personalities?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep @NaokiP He's completely different from how he is in Gaiden. He was an utter dick "Mycen has grown to be a coward" and looked like an hotheaded idiot. Now he's been turned into a teacher-like gentleman which was a smart way to give him much more dialogue and make him more likable.

1 hour ago, NaokiP said:

Hide contents

Jenny - A bit of a "cutesy bookworm" type, she mentions loving novels at one point and how she plans to write a novel of her own once the war ends. She's eager not to get left behind by Celica and the others. As often mentioned, she claims to have a thing for older men, wanting to be completely and utterly spoiled. Daddy kink is a hell of a drug.

@NaokiP WHERE IS IT MENTIONED!? *EXCITE*

Just now, LoyalKing32 said:

@NaokiP WHERE IS IT MENTIONED!? *EXCITE*

The liking older guys thing? In Chapter 3, I think. After Alm and Celica get into their fight. It's a Town conversation, let me try to recount it for you.

Spoiler

"Lady Celica, who was that young man you met with at the castle? He seemed to be about our age. Oh, a childhood friend of yours? Well, if you ask me, I'd totally prefer an older man. I'd totally want to get pampered by him, you know?"

I'm writing this from memory but that's about how it goes.

Who she actually ends up with at the end is still as vague as ever but I like the idea of it being Saber.

3 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

The liking older guys thing? In Chapter 3, I think. After Alm and Celica get into their fight. It's a Town conversation, let me try to recount it for you.

Hide contents

"Lady Celica, who was that young man you met with at the castle? He seemed to be about our age. Oh, a childhood friend of yours? Well, if you ask me, I'd totally prefer an older man. I'd totally want to get pampered by him, you know?"

Who she actually ends up with at the end is still as vague as ever but I like the idea of it being Saber.

It's totally Saber. They were a thing back in Gaiden and the endings for the two are unchanged. They were the only two to mention an unnamed husband and wife. Genny's husband being a comrade of Celica's and Saber's the only one to get with someone unnamed... soooooo.... :^)

13 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

Reveal hidden contents

Also btw have any thoughts on any other characters in the game than the ones you listed?

5 minutes ago, LoyalKing32 said:

Also btw have any thoughts on any other characters in the game than the ones you listed?

I can't think of anyone relevant to speak of. The villains/bosses I felt were mostly pretty straightforward assholes, except for the last couple of leaders you have to face off against leading up to Rudolf, and the Witches who obviously are devoid of free will. Hark is a cool old man but you don't see much of him, same for the Novis Monastery people. General Marcenas is cool, but doesn't really play a role past explaining Rudolf's aim to Alm and helping him cope with it a bit. Townspeople are mostly just filler, but some questgivers are a bit eccentric. To be fair I've only just finished Ch5. so there might be some more past that, but I kind of doubt it.

Edited by NaokiP

2 hours ago, NaokiP said:

Fernand - Short-sighted dick. His memory fragment with the early Liberation army made me feel bad for half a second but he was borderline insufferable for most of the game and completely deluded. My own country's army is full of commoners now so I'll go join the enemy. Who the fuck does that?

You need to understand that Fernand wasn't always hostile towards commoners and those of the low class. It wasn't until his estate was raided due to the famine and his mother, father and siblings were killed in the attack that his outlook changed. Also, The Deliverance was originally made up of noble knights and those of the higher classes. They start recruiting among the lower classes when the resistance against Desaix and Rigel wasn't going very well. Fernand (who is kinda disillusioned by his country at this point) has every right to pull a Shinon and leave when Clive decides to name some untested backwoods villager, who they just met and know barely anything about, as leader of the resistance.

I still don't like or think it's Genny x Saber but if you think so, I guess. 19 year age gap turns me off, especially considering she's in her teens and he's in his thirties. There's no REAL implications of it but various speculations that can easily be said otherwise. Also, It's nice to know that Genny isn't exactly an innocent sweetie. Spicing up her character.

Edit: Actually, I just realized, if either of them died, the other's endings don't change. No GennyxSaber?

Edited by KongDude88

19 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

I still don't like or think it's Genny x Saber but if you think so, I guess. 19 year age gap turns me off, especially considering she's in her teens and he's in his thirties. There's no REAL implications of it but various speculations that can easily be said otherwise. Also, It's nice to know that Genny isn't exactly an innocent sweetie. Spicing up her character.

Edit: Actually, I just realized, if either of them died, the other's endings don't change. No GennyxSaber?

Nah. It can still be a thing regardless if the endings don't change.

I guess that's a fair point for Jenny/Saber not being a thing.

Also, I'd like to address some mistakes I made on Leo:

Spoiler

When Kamui suggests that Valbo isn't the sort of "ideal man" that Leo admires him for, Leo doesn't COMPLETELY dismiss the idea of it being true, but entertains the thought of going on a journey to find someone who does fit his desciption. This allows Kamui and Leo to bond a bit, as it's one thing they can both agree on would be a good experience.

Also regarding his lover, that detail is something he confides in Celica about, not Kamui, my bad. That said, point still stands.

4 hours ago, NaokiP said:

Alm - While some comment on him being less manly or "savage" compared to how he was in Awakening (because let's be honest, he didn't exactly have any sort of personality in Gaiden, just like most of the cast), I like the Echoes Alm. He still gets pissed at his enemies when given no other option

Heavy endgame spoilers.

Spoiler

Besides Berkut, the guy who used Doma's power to almost kill every single member of his army, and then sacrificed his lover for power.

I get wanting a brotherly connection with his cousin, but this is ridiculous. What happened to Awakening Alm who said he paid his enemies back tenfold? That's a lot more interesting - and honestly fitting in the grand scheme of the story - than Alm beng made so much chiller.

He also doesn't have any hard feelings towards Fernan, the guy who did nothing but talk down to him, his friends and then switched sides to fight against Zofia.

I had troubles understanding everything in Shadows of Valentia, especially since I had limited internet access while playing through it, but Alm often struck me as far too friendly and laid back. Maybe the English version will clear some of this up, but I'm not really hopeful.

Luka - Totally different from how I remember him in Gaiden.

Because he looks like an angry demon child in Gaiden and goes on about what a coward Mycen is, something that's made funnier when Echoes!Clive says no one would ever think about saying that.

Delthea -

Spoiler

I still can't understand why she decides to seal her magic by the end despite being so proud of it throughout the story.

Spoiler

Thank you! It bothers me as well! Someone said it's because she was brainwashed but really? That's it? Just to prevent a really unlikely event that she can most likely fend off if she's a bit more disciplined? If she doesn't want to become a mage, then sure, but why seal off her powers permanently?

Celica -

Spoiler

I feel like she gave into his temptations a bit too easily, without consulting the rest of her comrades

Spoiler

I never did get that in Echoes; what exactly did Juda tell her? From what I did understand it sounded so stupid that I lost interest in the conflict. When Saber asked what was wrong and she was like "oh, I can't tell you now, but please keep following me to this creepy tower through comically dangerous territory".

5 hours ago, NaokiP said:

Whitewings - You should know plenty about these girls already. One interesting thing I've noticed is that Catria asks Palla if she has a sweetheart of her own like her other two. She evades the question, but mentions Abel in her death quote. I wonder why, considering Abel and Est are an item..

Right!? What's up with that? When I had Palla die once I raised my eyebrows but chalked it up to me misremembering which Whitewing Abel ended up with.

Did they...you know, make a mistake?

Nomah - I completely forgot to recruit him so I have no idea what he's like in Echoes...

His support is about him tricking Celica into giving him massages. I think he's supposed to be more of a jokster than a perv though.

See, this is where in-battle supports don't make as much sense.

13 minutes ago, Thane said:

Heavy endgame spoilers.

Hide contents

Besides Berkut, the guy who used Doma's power to almost kill every single member of his army, and then sacrificed his lover for power.

I get wanting a brotherly connection with his cousin, but this is ridiculous. What happened to Awakening Alm who said he paid his enemies back tenfold? That's a lot more interesting - and honestly fitting in the grand scheme of the story - than Alm beng made so much chiller.

He also doesn't have any hard feelings towards Fernan, the guy who did nothing but talk down to him, his friends and then switched sides to fight against Zofia.

I had troubles understanding everything in Shadows of Valentia, especially since I had limited internet access while playing through it, but Alm often struck me as far too friendly and laid back. Maybe the English version will clear some of this up, but I'm not really hopeful.

Because he looks like an angry demon child in Gaiden and goes on about what a coward Mycen is, something that's made funnier when Echoes!Clive says no one would ever think about saying that.

Hide contents

Thank you! It bothers me as well! Someone said it's because she was brainwashed but really? That's it? Just to prevent a really unlikely event that she can most likely fend off if she's a bit more disciplined? If she doesn't want to become a mage, then sure, but why seal off her powers permanently?

Hide contents

I never did get that in Echoes; what exactly did Juda tell her? From what I did understand it sounded so stupid that I lost interest in the conflict. When Saber asked what was wrong and she was like "oh, I can't tell you now, but please keep following me to this creepy tower through comically dangerous territory".

Right!? What's up with that? When I had Palla die once I raised my eyebrows but chalked it up to me misremembering which Whitewing Abel ended up with.

His support is about him tricking Celica into giving him massages. I think he's supposed to be more of a jokster than a perv though.

See, this is where in-battle supports don't make as much sense.

Did you forget that Palla has feelings for Abel but Abel married Est? All the whitewings are in love triangles.

Whitewings - You should know plenty about these girls already. One interesting thing I've noticed is that Catria asks Palla if she has a sweetheart of her own like her other two. She evades the question, but mentions Abel in her death quote. I wonder why, considering Abel and Est are an item...

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

right!? What's up with that? When I had Palla die once I raised my eyebrows but chalked it up to me misremembering which Whitewing Abel ended up with.

About that

“Abel, looks like I can't go back. I'm sorry.”—Palla's Death Quote in Gaiden

“Abel...” —Palla's Death Quote in Mystery of the Emblem Book 2

So no, it's most definitely not a mistake.

Quoting on mobile is hard so I'll answer these manually. @Thane

1. I for one like the new Alm. Awakening made him sound like a proper douche. I guess he just didn't wanna rail on Fernand because he didn't really know the guy.(that won't stop me from doing it lol). In Berkut's case it felt like Alm realized that the former was so fargone that there was no saving him, and felt sorry for the guy. He's a lot more believable and down to earth now if you ask me, but I can understand some people liking him for being a more savage sort of Lord.

2. Yeah gaiden Luka was kind of an ungrateful prick lol. It doesn't help that most characters had two to three lines of dialogue for the duration of the whole game, either.

3. I can kind of gather from her demeanor that she'd both proud of her power but also doesn't want someone else to use her or tell her how to live her life. Perhaps she was afraid of being used by someone again like she was at the Dam, or perhaps she was pressured by the people from her town to devote herself to it in a way she found off-putting. Perhaps sealing her power away is an act of rebellion? Who knows.

4. It was dumb... It amounted to "if you don't come to Death Mountain blah blah I'll make sure Alm suffers blah blah you don't want all your comrades to suffer do you blah". It was the most paper-thin generic blackmail and she took it hook line and sinker, even worse than Eirika's episodes in FE8.

5. I think it might just be a hint of a new, secret love triangle. Est very clearly states her love for Abel in Echoes (one of her victory quotes is "Abel, wait for me"). It's just odd cause it seems to be a totally new thing.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

About that

“Abel, looks like I can't go back. I'm sorry.”—Palla's Death Quote in Gaiden

“Abel...” —Palla's Death Quote in Mystery of the Emblem Book 2

So no, it's most definitely not a mistake.

That was a thing? Holy shit, I must be blind. I knew there was someone, but it completely slipped my mind that it was Abel himself. My bad.

Edited by NaokiP

6 minutes ago, LoyalKing32 said:

*FACEPALMS*

Wow people are clueless. Smh come on Palla liking Abel dominated her character.

To be fair I haven't played the Archanea games in forever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

9 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

1. I for one like the new Alm. Awakening made him sound like a proper douche. I guess he just didn't wanna rail on Fernand because he didn't really know the guy.(that won't stop me from doing it lol). In Berkut's case it felt like Alm realized that the former was so fargone that there was no saving him, and felt sorry for the guy. He's a lot more believable and down to earth now if you ask me, but I can understand some people liking him for being a more savage sort of Lord.

honestly it's the believable part that mainly makes it better for me

like, I thought what they did in awakening was super interesting and totally would've worked with gaiden's theme of "power vs kindness" 

but the thing is, alm grew up in a little village with his loving grandfather and a bunch of other kids, and as far as we can tell, only left it one time when he was very young. sure his grandfather trained him to fight and all, but it just doesn't seem very realistic for him to be all savage and aggressive when he had such a simple upbringing.  

and from what I've seen so far, I really like what they've done with him! he's definitely all innocent and cutesy but I think it's pretty endearing and at the very least, it feels pretty unique compared to most of the other lords. in battles you can tell that he's pretty damn strong and won't hesitate in a fight but at the same time he's a nice guy who came from a small village. it's simple but so far, i've found him pretty likable.

9 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

This Abel drama is hilarious, I knew Palla liked him and he married Est but I didn't know about Catria. Step aside, Roy, there's a new Harem King in town.

Wot. :0 Catria doesn't like Abel if that's what you mean

58 minutes ago, Thane said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I did think it was strange that Alm would become so friendly towards Berkut in an instant, even though he found out he was family. I think it would have made a little bit more sense if Alm was a bit more wary in that interaction. Though, Marcenas did tell him to save Berkut, so that might be why Alm tried to be more gentle.

I think Alm, despite being antagonized by Fernand, heard much about him from Clive, Clair and Mathilda, so he knew that Fernand wasn't as bad as he appeared to be. I think it was that indirect connection, and the fact that Fernand was dying right in front of him, took away any hate Alm might have had towards Fernand.

But yeah, Alm overall isn't really what the Awakening Einhenjaar made him out to be; Awakening Alm wouldn't have saved Delthea even if he tried, for one.

It felt like, at the end of the story, they made it sound like Celica's path was "wrong" or something, since she apologized for everything and Alm had to clean up. Alm admitted to only knowing how to fight, but his line of thinking never directly caused problems in the story, so he didn't have to think about it. They could have brought it up after Alm kills Rudolf. The game sort of places the blame on Mycen, Rudolf himself planning it, and the fucked up world in general, and later Celica even apologizes for not telling Alm in advance. I feel like Alm should have had a moment of reflection, and realize that he killed his own father because he was too eager to go into battle, even though his heart told him not to in the pre-battle convo.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy