We need more quests for non-universal shards and crystals.

Anacybele

So IS, what's the deal with these quests? Like 90% of them only give universal shards. Despite that the list of quests for them is always titled "shards and crystals."

We've gotten so few quests for shards and crystals of other colors. I almost never get them from the tower either, so they're also extremely rare there. But I'm swimming in a crap ton of universal shards I can't use because I never have many shards of other colors to use with them.

Anyone else like this and agree?

You don't need to have other colors to use the universal ones. The whole purpose of universal shards/crystals is that they work for any color, which makes them better than having one specific color.

Source: too lazy to train 1* Hana last night to 4* for LoD2 so I just dumped a bunch of shards on her when i'm long out of reds

Shards arguably see more use than crystals for the purposes of skill inheritance. And universal shards/crystals can be used for any colored unit so I'm not seeing an issue here.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Except every time I want to use shards or crystals to level up a character, some number of other colored shards are required along with the universal ones.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Except every time I want to use shards or crystals to level up a character, some number of other colored shards are required along with the universal ones.

Colored shards = 1 shard per exp. If you don't have enough colored shards, the game starts using universal shards to substitute. 

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Color-specific shards/crystals get used up first before universal shards/crystals do. Also shards can only be used to get a unit up to lv. 20 at a 1:1 ratio of shard to exp. point. Same with crystals, except the hero has to be at least lv. 20.

1 minute ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Color-specific shards/crystals get used up first before universal shards/crystals do. Also shards can only be used to get a unit up to lv. 20 at a 1:1 ratio of shard to exp. point. Same with crystals, except the hero has to be at least lv. 20.

Exactly, so I'm always running out or near running out of the other colors. And I know shards are for lv. 1-20 only while crystals are for lv. 20 and higher. I'm not a newb...

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Exactly, so I'm always running out or near running out of the other colors. And I know shards are for lv. 1-20 only while crystals are for lv. 20 and higher. I'm not a newb...

Consider making an effort to clear the 10th Stratum of the Training Tower each day before clearing any other stratum. You get about 1K crystals for doing this per day. If the enemy team composition isn't favorable, you can reroll via going to the Starting or First Stratum and surrendering.

My inventory check (shards/crystals):

Spoiler

Red: 3902 shards, 5200 crystals

Blue: 9358 shards, 6200 crystals

Green: 11574 shards, 3750 crystals

Colorless: 10170 shards, 5150 crystals

Universal: 82775 shards, 29009 crystals

Edited by Roflolxp54

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There's no need to have shards of any other color because universal shards count as any color.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's no need to have shards of any other color because universal shards count as any color.

Yes there is. I have a lot of universal shards and crystals, but since the game is asking to use the other colors first, level ups are requiring them, but I don't have enough, despite that I WOULD have enough of the universal ones.

Yes there is. I have a lot of universal shards and crystals, but since the game is asking to use the other colors first, level ups are requiring them, but I don't have enough, despite that I WOULD have enough of the universal ones.

It doesn't work like that. If you don't have enough colored ones, it just dips into the universal automatically. It always has. I just drained out my greens to test this: so long as you have the universal shards it will make up the difference. Even with 0 color

1 minute ago, r_n said:

It doesn't work like that. If you don't have enough colored ones, it just dips into the universal automatically. It always has. I just drained out my greens to test this: so long as you have the universal shards it will make up the difference. Even with 0 color

But it does work like that.

I just tried using my universal crystals to level up someone that's over lv. 20, but despite that I would've had enough of those, it still insists on using other colored crystals which I don't have enough of.

Edited by Anacybele

I just tried using my universal crystals to level up someone that's over lv. 20, but despite that I would've had enough of those, it still insists on using other colored crystals which I don't have.

Do you have some pictures because i just tried this and it's not doing what you're saying at all.

Honestly we need more quests that give out crystals. Leveling to 20 is so easy and fast that I only ever use them on 2 stars. And hero merit means manual leveling to 20 will even give you some extra feathers down the road even if you're just going to 20 for advancement for skills.

hero merit & sp also means crystals wouldn't be THAT useful but it'd be nice to finish up those last couple of levels.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I just tried using my universal crystals to level up someone that's over lv. 20, but despite that I would've had enough of those, it still insists on using other colored crystals which I don't have enough of.

Your inventory will tell you how many you have the bottom row tells you how many of the bigger Crystals you have.  The amount of crystals you need after level 20 increases exponentially, so it's easier to run out.  The second to last row tells you how many shards you have, so you might have been looking at how many of those you had by accident.  It will use specific colors first, then go to the yellow ones, if you don't have enough of the specific color.

Although, unless you're raising a unit for Skill Fodder, I recommend leveling them up in the Training Tower.  You get a lot more SP that way.

Hope that helps.

When you don't have enough of coloured or universal to level, it only shows the coloured shards/crystals in red, if that helps, so it looks like you've only run out of them when you have, in fact, run out of both. It used to confuse me a little bit when I first started using them, especially since I didn't realise just how many crystals were used up in gaining levels.