Fire Emblem Pet Peeves and Petty Complaints!

Thane

6 hours ago, Emeraldfox said:

That's because wyverns don't have forelegs at all. Other than the Wyvern Knight in Sacred Stones their designs actually fit the class name in Awakening and Fates.

I still think it looks stupid. But I guess how wyverns looked in PoR - with the forelegs and the rider practically on the wyvern's neck - looks kind of wierd, too.

Edited by saisymbolic

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Thane said:

It's the point, but it's a silly one nevertheless. The impact of it is completely lost to us, who just assume that pretty much any hair color in that world goes. Had it actually meant something - say, we knew in Path of Radiance that only a select few had it and that it symbolized something important - then I wouldn't have minded it, but now it's just another anime hair color that's treated as special.

They tried making Sera's black hair color unique in Digital Devil Saga. How do you make black unique? Simple, you give everyone else non-realistic hair colors, thus, the abnormal (by reality's standards) becomes normal and the normal becomes abnormal. Micaiah wasn't as well integrated in this regard, and to be fair they were just looking to give us Deidre 4.0 (Julia and Sara are the other models).

6 hours ago, Alisa Reinford said:

Only Ike can set the final blow in FE10.

Oh yeah I absolutely despise this, if I had a choice he would get no glory.   Also Ashnard's "blessed armor" for similar reasons.

- Pre-promotes (who are supposed to be veteran soldiers) being outclassed by young whippersnappers who are 10 years younger than them.
- Child soldiers. If I had it my way I'd have no lolis and shotas in my army.
- Ike existing. I would not be half as bitter towards Tellius if it wasn't for him. :/
- Teenage Lords achieving seemingly unrealistic feats ( like killing 'god' ).
- NoA giving me one of my most hated ships in the series.
- FE13's class design.
- Shipping wars/waifus/husbandos.
- Tier Lists.

-Are you telling me that Scarlet DOESN'T have the hots for Ryoma? That's grade A bull.

-Lets give the final kill to the main character of the Last game, not our new shiny silver haired protagonist.

-Why can Hinata not support Charlotte? One of his personality traits is he does anything for beautiful women!

-The Entirety of Fates's plot. The best story is where they don't even mention Valla!

-Why can Basilio not support Lon'qu. WHY!!!!

-Why does the support system suck ass in fire emblem 10.

6 hours ago, Tuvy said:

-The Entirety of Fates's plot. The best story is where they don't even mention Valla!

Dude, how is this a "petty" complaint on par with the color of Midoriko's eyebrows?

Ooh, this thread seems fun, lol. I feel like this is gonna be a little long, so I'll put it in spoilers.

Spoiler
  • Them trying their hardest to make Soren's hair look black in cutscenes and official art. I mean, it's dark green, and it bothers me. I know what they were trying to accomplish - trying to hide that connection between him and the dragons, but come on. He's already got the forehead mark, the hints are already being played!
  • Why do Ike and Mist like never, ever interact outside of the first few chapters of Path of Radiance? Mist teasing Ike in the prologue was adorable, and it would be good to see them bonding over Greil's death! I mean, they don't even have a support conversation, for crying out loud? Why are the siblings ignoring each other now that Ike's in charge? Laame.
  • Where's my remake of Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia on the Switch, with full voice acting, animated cutscenes, and the works? That would be amazing. Make it happen, IS!
  • Why are weapons completely unusable when a certain unit doesn't have the right weapon rank for it? I mean, does it tase someone if it senses that their rank isn't good enough? Why not have them be usable, but give the unit penalties or something so that using it before you have the rank is discouraged? it just makes no sense!
  • And I didn't pull an Ike or a Soren in Fire Emblem Heroes yet! Dammit, gatcha game. Don't make me whale on you...
  • The Dawn Brigade and the struggle during Radiant Dawn while you're playing with them. They're already really boring as characters, except Nolan who is pretty okay, but is that really a fun way to start off your game, IS? Struggling not to get owned on Hard mode, so that you can get past them and play as the Greil Mercenaries?
  • Why...why would you make Pelleas and Sephiran recruitable only on the second playthrough of RD and onwards? They're among my favorite characters of the game, and when I sold my Wii, I had to beat the entire game again just to be able to recruit them.
  • What the actual fuck is up with Tormod's availability? One of my favorite characters in the game, and one of my favorite mages, and I can't use him because he's so hopelessly level-screwed by the time you gain control of him again. For shame! :/
  • Gimme more male manaketes recruitable onto our side, please! I mean, little girls are fine and all, and Bantu's a cool dude and everything, but I want some young male -- or even little boy, just...something to work with other than the memetic "loli dragon." I mean, I know Divine Dragons are goddess dragons in the Japanese version...
  • Also, can we get some non-Divine Dragons recruitable? A few more fire dragons, or even -- gasp! -- an Earth dragon?
  • Can we get rid of the whole "and then they vanished mysteriously never to be heard from again" endings? Like. I get it. It's his schtick to be antisocial and standoffish, but when I get to the end of the game I wanna know what he did for the rest of his life! Not that he just fell into the aether never to be seen again. Come on, IS...
  • Mages getting slapped with the nerf hammer in RD. Soren's the best mage in the game...and he's only decent at the best as a unit. Like, ouch. It hurts, because I adore Soren and Tormod...
  • Ilyana's continued existence. Enough said.
  • The fact that Peri is a concept and character that made it into the final game. What the actual fuck, writing team?
  • Camilla... And Charlotte... The cringe is real...
  • Them haphazardly shoving children into Fates just because it worked so well in Awakening, despite the fact that Fates' plot is in no way suited for them.
  • Speaking of which, the Deeprealms. Is there anyone in existence that actually likes and believes that as a concept? Just...eugh.

Edited by Extrasolar

The Olwen and Illios choice in Thracia 776 still doesn't click. The two never interact and there's nothing else pointing to any lore excuse that recuiting Olwen would stop you from getting Illios. 

I can guess the design warrant for it (not wanting you to have two already promoted Mage Knights). But even then, I wonder if Illios was planned to be a B Route character.

21 hours ago, Thane said:

Dude, how is this a "petty" complaint on par with the color of Midoriko's eyebrows?

Sorry, just started complaining about everything that made me mad, and trust me, the list is longer.

Edited by Tuvy

1 minute ago, Tuvy said:

orry, just started complaining about everything that made me mad, and trust me, the list is longer.

Man, that must suck. I mean, my only real complaint about the series is Midoriko's eyebrows. Everything besides that is just peachy.

Virion's head looks really weird. i could never use him because his head was just so oddly proportioned.

I cant get into Genealogy. The Mullets man, its the damn crazy colored mullets. It looks like if someone combined Billy Ray Cyrus with Boy George.

Why is the Falchion named Falchion? Its like naming Frostmourne Odachi, or naming Shalamayne Kopesh. Its just the name of a different type of sword, that is the best you could come up with?

On 26/4/2017 at 5:08 AM, saisymbolic said:

I have a lot of nitpicks. Bare with me.

Ugh, I hate this, too. Honestly, the fact that her eyebrows are always green makes me contemplate not getting her most of the time.

Reveal hidden contents

1) Sumia not being able support Stahl. Yes, it's very specific. No, I don't hate Sumia. Her and Stahl just should have been able to support each other.

2) Generic weapon icons in Fates. It really annoys me that I have to equip the weapon, then look at the unit's close up just to see how a weapon looks when I could have just glanced at the icon for literally one second and got the same result.

3) The laguz gauge in PoR. Like, it isn't something that keeps me from using laguz units and the particular units that I tend to use aren't really hampered by it, but it's existence annoys me so much.

4) Ena being classified as a Red Dragon - who are STR based - but having the growths of a White Dragon - who are MAG oriented. What kind of backwards-assed thinking was that? Did the developers think it funny making me dislike a character that I genuinely enjoyed in the story?

5) Fiona existing.

6) Avatarsexuals being locked to only a support with the Avatar. It figures they tend to have some interesting backstories or roles in the game, but they can't be expanded by having supports.

7) Lancers not being a playable class since PoR's Soldier class (or possibly before). Yes, I know Fates has the Spear Fighter. No, I don't want that. No, I don't have anything against the Japanese inspiration. I just want my Halberdier design back.

8) Stefan being on a specific tile and having to use a laguz to recruit him or you'll just get a sword one of your units may or may not ever be able to use. Never have I gotten a unit to S rank besides Ike and he has a personal weapon that better anyways.

9) Pit falls in PoR. Yes, I know the exploit with flying units, but they still piss me off.

10) The animations for magic swords in Fates when an infantry unit uses them. When Ryoma uses Raijinto, it looks like he's squatting to take a royal shit.

11) There not being varied elemental weapons. PoR had the Sonic Sword, Flame Lance and probably some elemental axe that I can't remember. What does Awakening/Fates have? Lightning Sword. Lightning Lance. Lighting Axe. Then Ryoma gets a personal Lightning Sword. Really, guys?

12) The diamond cutouts on some uniforms' pants in Fates. Looks dumb.

13) Fem!Corrin's default hair clips through her cape. Looking at it makes me angry.

14) Shinon's recruitment being needlessly convoluted just to justify some in-story shit.

15) I hate that wyverns don't have arms in Awakening/Fates. Looks stupid.

16) That Odin's Grimoire reuses Siegfried's animation.

17) That Tsubaki's personal weapon is the only good one that was made with unit's growths in mind.

18) The facial markings in Fates doesn't appear on the 3D model of the Avatar. Did they just forget that or something? Was Fates rushed?

19) That Tsubaki's name was localized as "Subaki." Seriously?

20) Mozu's name is Mozu. Why did they change "Mozume" to "Mozu"?

21) Caeldori's name.

22) Most of the localized names in Fates besides Xander, to be honest.

23) Azura not being able to wear the dark costume during CQ. Or ever again.

24) Being able to kill Shura for Boots. Damn, you kill a man and all you get are some Boots? Do you know where those Boot come from? You kill a man and you steal his shoes right off his damn feet. Talk about cold-blooded, Corrin.

25) Flora being able to produce a mixtape to roast herself during BR. Did she use the Flame Shuriken to, like, catch her clothes on fire? Is her mom a part of the Fire Tribe or something?

26) The toilets on the Cavaliers necks in Awakening.

27) Not being able to equip the Malig Knight's mask triggers me. Speaking of which, the accessory feature of Fates just being completely gutted in the NA version.

28) Nah and Inigo's support.

29) The Royal Royale DLC. My patience is running extremely thin with Team Sakura. I've beaten it with Team Ryoma, Team Hinoka (surprisingly) and Team Takumi. Hana's shitty personal weapon keeps me from doubling and it makes my blood pressure go up thinking about.

30) That Sages can use knives in PoR.

31) Lyre existing.

32) Heather existing.

33) Hinata being an afterthought on Team Takumi. Damn, Takumi has another retainer besides Oboro, people. Geez.

34) Kyza being a shitty unit because I really like him.

35) The Wyvern Rider secondary class being called "Dragon" during character creation in Fates.

36) Ike being slower in games after PoR/RD when he was actually one of the faster units.

37) The Merchant portrait in Fates. Smug bastard.

38) When a unit's promotion doesn't retain the original color scheme. I hate seeing Camilla in Blue/Silver as a Wyvern Lord when I want her in Black/Gold.

39) No male manaketes being introduced in the newer games. Corrin doesn't count.

40) That Oboro can't support Arthur.

I think I'm finished now. I feel a little better, too.

Regarding Ena:

Spoiler

After all, she is a White Dragon blood-wise due to Nasir and her parents were most likely a white dragon and a red dragon, so she ended up being a red dragon with the strength of a white dragon. So,  It makes actually sense, if you think about it(I hope I'm not annoying you with this comment of mine)

22 hours ago, Salamud said:

The Olwen and Illios choice in Thracia 776 still doesn't click. The two never interact and there's nothing else pointing to any lore excuse that recuiting Olwen would stop you from getting Illios. 

I can guess the design warrant for it (not wanting you to have two already promoted Mage Knights). But even then, I wonder if Illios was planned to be a B Route character.

Tbh, I always tought that It was because of the land: basically, if Olwen was alive, Leif wouldn't have been able to give Illios a land of his own, but, if olwen was dead, the land that was supposed to go to her instead goes to Illios, making his wish of becoming a noble come true.

Or maybe It's just because they sre both mage knights.

Anyway, my only real complain has to be how the checkpoint saves of SD and NMoE never came back. Like, It was such a cool feature, why haven't they bought It back in any of othe 3DS games?

10 minutes ago, The Malign Knight said:

Regarding Ena:

Reveal hidden contents

After all, she is a White Dragon blood-wise due to Nasir and her parents were most likely a white dragon and a red dragon, so she ended up being a red dragon with the strength of a white dragon. So,  It makes actually sense, if you think about it(I hope I'm not annoying you with this comment of mine)

Oh no, you're not annoying. I knew about Ena's heritage, though.

It just annoys me off that she is classified as "Red Dragon" when her growths are more suited to a white one. Though it is justified, I just think it was false advertising. But I suppose the reason they labeled her as a "Red Dragon" was because she was pink, and pink is closer to red than it is white.

(I still like her, though.)

-The fact that Awakening and Fates's localizations changed most of the proposal lines and made them much more gimmicky
-FE7 still throwing unpromoted enemies at you on the penultimate chapter
-Fates' forging system effectively counteracting weapon effects

On 4/25/2017 at 11:08 PM, saisymbolic said:

1) Sumia not being able support Stahl. Yes, it's very specific. No, I don't hate Sumia. Her and Stahl just should have been able to support each other.

I'm kinda glad this is the case, honestly. If only for the fact that their English VAs are siblings (Sam and Eden Riegal).

5 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I'm kinda glad this is the case, honestly. If only for the fact that their English VAs are siblings (Sam and Eden Riegal).

That's irrelevant to me as the side characters barely speak outside of confessions (which only the Avatar get), some short accent speech on dialogue (which can be turned off) and battle grunts (which can also be turned off). I just wanted a character I thought was more compatible than Henry or Gaius to be with Sumia. 

That said, I do understand the discomfort that could have been brought about with the VAs being siblings.

On 2017-04-28 at 8:56 PM, The DanMan said:

Fits this series perfectly, then!

43 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Would it kill the series to depict women who wear actual pants?  Especially those who are on mounts - imagine the saddle sores!

What's the point in winning a war if you can't do so while showing off how much sexier you are than your enemies?

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

What's the point in winning a war if you can't do so while showing off how much sexier you are than your enemies?

It's been tried, and it failed over 60 years ago.  Good tactics will win in the end!

On 4/25/2017 at 5:28 PM, Thane said:

3) Midoriko's eyebrows are always green, often clashing with her hair color.

Yes, and moreso, that the rest of the kid portraits and avatar just give generic gray eyebrows like they're supposed to be colored in like the hair colors are, yet they are not (except maybe in the Heirs of Fate DLC).

Oh, speaking of Fates kids, Nina's erroneous crit cut-in. I still can't believe the developers actually let that slide.

Another minor complaint I have about Fates (still my favorite FE but I won't deny its flaws) is how weapon ranks work. For example, why can Heroes only reach A rank in swords, and B rank in axes? I don't have time to grind Arthur to A rank weapons! I know the B and up weapons themselves are disappointing, but weapon rank still matters and I want my units to be as strong as possible. Don't get me started on Songstress Azura being able to only reach C rank, and only specific classes being able to reach rank S. The only class with multiple weapon types that lets you A rank in all them of is Paladin, which is kind of messed up.

There is one particular pet peeve in Awakening that I've very much obsessed over and teared up over, so I'm going to put it under a spoiler just in case.

Spoiler

So, if you have Chrom marry Olivia and have Chrom go recruit Inigo, Inigo claims to have the Brand in one of his eyes. An interesting thing to know, even though we can't actually see it for ourselves, but, Inigo is the only possible second child of Chrom to be mentioned having the Brand at all. Not a word from Cynthia, Kjelle, Brady or Morgan. It's just so unfair. Did the writers even care? Chrom/Olivia I think is a fine pair as it is but this fact really really draws me away from it.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, Slumber said:

Yeah, throwing swords is one of my more recent complaints, too. It looks so silly. The blade beam looked way better, and I don't think anyone had problems with it. 

Really? I thought it was alright. Less cool than the sword beams at first, but throwing a sword straightforward like a spear was actually a viable (albeit situational) technique that was used historically.

My pet peeves: the giant triangular pointer in PoR that points to the selected tile. Making the rim of the tile glow was enough; the triangle just obstructed my view of the rest of the map.

Armor knight design in Awakening and Fates: There's a point where oversized armour just looks ridiculous, and this would be it (and the shields look like a part from an abandoned car factory), and what was the point off those bits of metal that were dangling off the pauldrons (shoulder armour)?Do they do anything useful? No. Are they cool? No; they just look silly. Honestly, I'm glad the Baron armour in Shadows of Valentia looks a lot more toned down.

My pet peeve is that whenever a Fire emblem game takes place before a previous one it can retroactively become very strange for some characters not to appear in the next conflict.

Pent and Cyan are the obvious examples. Its quite weird how Pent the one man army and former mage general is implied to just be sipping tea in his mansion while there's a civil war and a world war ragging around him.

Cyan is also to interesting to just sit back in the Manster district while the heroes go deal with his dad. It would have been great to see him be able to talk with Alvis and Julius. 

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

My pet peeve is that whenever a Fire emblem game takes place before a previous one it can retroactively become very strange for some characters not to appear in the next conflict.

Pent and Cyan are the obvious examples. Its quite weird how Pent the one man army and former mage general is implied to just be sipping tea in his mansion while there's a civil war and a world war ragging around him.

Cyan is also to interesting to just sit back in the Manster district while the heroes go deal with his dad. It would have been great to see him be able to talk with Alvis and Julius. 

Or how Hector's wife didn't grind Zephiel into fine paste?

Granted, I think Cecilia is officially in Pent's position as of FE6, so I could see him being indisposed in some manner. Cyas, on the other hand... well, Ced's a complete mystery...