Fire Emblem Pet Peeves and Petty Complaints!

Thane

On 5/22/2017 at 1:41 AM, Tibarn's Distracting Lisp said:

The immediate one that comes to mind is the sacrifice of Frey. I love him, he's a good man. He reminds me of this guy. It wouldn't be so bad if there was another character soon after that was kind of similar to him, but iirc it becomes a twink party for a while. 

No beefy male build for Corrin. I got really attached to my Julien Solomita-lookin' Robin and I wanted another big boy (like I would actually just straight up play as Gatrie) in Fates, but it wasn't going to happen, apparently.

And on top of that, still no skin tone slider for the Avatar? Why? Like, from a design standpoint even, some of the hair colours look really bad with their skin tone. 

Also, any time there's a 3D model that's got that awful, chunky hair flowing out around them. Just...stop. Have it lie flat. Hard side-eyeing pre-haircut Lucia for this one.

EDIT: Janaff's posture, especially in RD, makes me cringe. Not that the previous game is any better. When I first encountered him, I genuinely thought he was a cute little grandma because of that uncomfortable slouch. (And he's an all-time favourite too so I get to look at that a lot hoohoo)

Reveal hidden contents

download.png

His name is Isles and I repurposed him for a different story because I loved him so much. Look at this giant man. What a guy.

In regards to Corrin's customization options, Corrin is (believed to be) the middle child of both of the royal families, meaning (s)he can't look any older than Camilla/Hinoka or any younger than Leo/Takumi , so I think that Is the reason for the lack of an older build. Skin color for a similar reason too, as it would be jarring if one of the "siblings" had darker Skin than literally everyone else for some reason (Robin's got no excuse though).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Blade_of_Light said:

In regards to Corrin's customization options, Corrin is (believed to be) the middle child of both of the royal families, meaning (s)he can't look any older than Camilla/Hinoka or any younger than Leo/Takumi , so I think that Is the reason for the lack of an older build. Skin color for a similar reason too, as it would be jarring if one of the "siblings" had darker Skin than literally everyone else for some reason (Robin's got no excuse though).

For sure, like, I get the restrictions on Corrin specifically. I do hope it gets updated for future games though, if we continue with avatar creation. (I'm not even speaking from a "we need x amount of y representation" point of view here, it's literally just, some of the hair colours on that pasty skin aargh) LOL 

14 hours ago, Res said:

- In Fates, there's not even a single word of acknowledgement of the physical toll having kids would take on the mothers

The only reasonable explaination is that pregnancy in Fatesland lasts about two hours, three tops. After all, the paralogues are available as soon as the S support is unlocked, so you can't even assume that the mothers go to the babyrealms themselves as soon as they notice their pregnancy so that they don't miss the next battle.

The fact that Male Robin can't marry Chrom despite their touching, deep, and emotional supports, but the insipid, anime tropey and cliche supports from Female Robin are the basis for a marriage proposal.

I get it, I get it. Lucina. But still, if Morgan apparently comes from a different timeline that's different from the other kids' and gets treated the same, I don't know why they couldn't give the same treatment to Lucina.

But that's just me being petty.

Also, Priam's existence.

Deeprealms in general for the children and stuff really make no sense.  I get that time works differently in the Deeprealms, but the kids are so angsty towards their dads.  Also I just have issues with children being in Fates anyway, it doesn't really work in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Doof said:

Also, Priam's existence.

'nough said.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:25 PM, ping said:

The only reasonable explaination is that pregnancy in Fatesland lasts about two hours, three tops. After all, the paralogues are available as soon as the S support is unlocked, so you can't even assume that the mothers go to the babyrealms themselves as soon as they notice their pregnancy so that they don't miss the next battle.

The only way it works is if humans in Fates are oviparous.

I do not like fatigue in Echoes. It's a pretty small pet peeve, and I've only ever had one or two of my units become completely tired, but I still don't like it.

And as for pairings... I do not like that Scarlet and Ryoma cannot support, Jakob and Flora cannot support, Sumia and Stahl cannot support, and Cordelia and Chrom can't support. Oh and also it bothers me that there is no male character in Awakening that has the same hair color as Cordelia, and Severa can't get Cordelia's hair color. The same goes for the other children that cannot have the same hair color as his/her mother.

In Sacred Stones, I dislike that you have to complete both routes at least once before getting access to the super trainee classes.

On April 30, 2017 at 1:35 AM, eclipse said:

Would it kill the series to depict women who wear actual pants?  Especially those who are on mounts - imagine the saddle sores!

Yee. Im glad folks in SoV are trousering it up. No assless chaps to be found. 

Ill do mine by game. 

FE7:

Rath only having like two people to support with. I get hes a quiet dude but...

Lyn having zero relevance after Noble Lady of Caelin. Argh. 

Lyn constantly making tsundere noises at Hector. Its kinda out of character sometimes. 

The game punishing you to H E L L if you dont train your lords. What if i want to do a no Eliwood run, eh?

Karla's recruitment, oiiiiii. 

FE8:

Ephraim not really growing as a character irks the shit out of me. 

L'Arachel reintroducing herself in the end of the Scorched Sand level, on Ephraim route. It makes sense for her to say something in Eirika route but...ugh

Marisa sucking real bad. 

Ewan. 

Wyvern Knight class. It sucks and lance lock on promotion is ass. 

FE9:

Shinon's re-recruitment. Omg, who the fuck is even using Rolf, let alone letting him talk to Shinon in that level. 

Ilyana. 

Nephanee's base lance rank. 

The fact only mounts are worth using. 

FE10:

Astrid being hung up on Makalov is dingo's kidneys. 

Sothe often. Not taking Micaiah's actual feelings into account about a lot of shit. (Also, the fact transfers for him can fuck him up so bad, he's unusable)

How did Oliver survive?

FE11:

Everything is muddy looking. 

Having to murder your guys to get more guys and chapters. 

Battle animations. 

FE13:

Emmeryn. Just..Emmeryn. 

Lack of custum palettes for characters. 

No facial hair for MaMU. 

Gangrel's shitty ass support with FeMU. O m g my rage.

Priam. Like, why. 

Severa and Cordelia are just the worst  

FE14:

No one talks about Corn being a dragon. Its not even plot relevant. Ugh. 

Princesses not having legendary weapons. 

Hinoka being a crap character in story. 

Garon not having real motive. 

Iago being named Iago, but nothing he does warrants the symbolism of his name.

Kid units. I like some of them but ugh, they dont need to exist.

Camilla's design.

SoV:

Faye. She didnt even exist in the original Gaiden, so wtf is she here? 

The fact theres TWO grinding DLC packs. Like, w h y.

Maps are really big  like, too big sometimes.

Theres more gripes, but ill post more when i think of them.

1 hour ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Shinon's re-recruitment. Omg, who the fuck is even using Rolf, let alone letting him talk to Shinon in that level. 

*raises hand*

Um, I use Rolf every time I play PoR. I tend to grind up both him, Mist and Marcia (also just about everyone I bring as well) in that map you recruit them. He surprisingly works pretty well, though I do understand that most will likely pass him over because of the need to grind and archers being relatively subpar.

1 hour ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Priam. Like, why. 

what is wrong with priam

not that I like him or anything I just actually don't remember so I'm curious

2 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Iago being named Iago, but nothing he does warrants the symbolism of his name.

Makes more sense then him being named Macbeth, which was his name in the Japanese version.

4 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Lyn having zero relevance after Noble Lady of Caelin. Argh. 

Something that bothers me is how her whole vendetta thing amounts to nothing. Wallace has already killed all the bandits that killed her tribe or whatever it was, but he doesn't tell her that until the A support, so not only won't that subplot lead anywhere, Lyn isn't given any time to reflect on the fact that she just lost some of her purpose in life. Like, what the hell?

On 26/04/2017 at 6:09 AM, NekoKnight said:

I have orange hair and blue eyes. My brother has brown hair and brown eyes. Welcome to the exciting world of genetics.

Fun fact: assuming children weren't born to incest, and ignoring identical twins, a set of two biological siblings has a 1/8388608 chance of having NO blood relationship! While 8388607:1 odds are pretty slim, it's more likely that you're not related to your brother/sister than you are to win ANY national lottery.

3 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

Fun fact: assuming children weren't born to incest, and ignoring identical twins, a set of two biological siblings has a 1/8388608 chance of having NO blood relationship! While 8388607:1 odds are pretty slim, it's more likely that you're not related to your brother/sister than you are to win ANY national lottery.

Don't give Intelligent Systems any ideas now.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Don't give Intelligent Systems any ideas now.

Sibling incest is so vanilla at this point. Give me something daring.
I will regret these words.

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

Sibling incest is so vanilla at this point. Give me something daring.
I will regret these words.

"Actually, Corrin, I'm not your mother at all! My grandmother gave me this letter in case I..."

7 hours ago, AzureSen said:

Makes more sense then him being named Macbeth, which was his name in the Japanese version.

Macbeth and Iago alike would have been fine if the diabolical masked staff savant did the whole "prime minister who betrays his liege" thing. He either seeks to kill Garon and seize Nohr for himself, or discredit Corrin and Garon's other children so as to become the sole advisor and thus manipulator of the king. And it isn't like IS hasn't done this thing before- Lekain (there's two actually in RD), Leptor, and I haven't started Gaiden yet, but isn't there another one of these in that game?

Also, would it be fair to call Conquest Corrin Hamlet? Procrastinates on doing the right thing (killing Claudius/Garon) until the very end and moans about it all the way, with the end results of this procrastination being the total destruction of Hoshido, and every major character dying. Don't get me wrong, I love Hamlet, for the very reason he is so talented, so aware of his terrible procrastination, so wanting to overcome it, and yet falls into it again and again. Much like myself.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

54 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I haven't started Gaiden yet, but isn't there another one of these in that game?

Closest I can think of is Desaix/Dozer, a Zofian Chancellor who betrayed the King, killed all his kids sans one, and tried to take over Zofia with help from Rigel.

He's basically the most despicable guy in the game.

16 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

*raises hand*

Um, I use Rolf every time I play PoR. I tend to grind up both him, Mist and Marcia (also just about everyone I bring as well) in that map you recruit them. He surprisingly works pretty well, though I do understand that most will likely pass him over because of the need to grind and archers being relatively subpar.

7 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Rolf is basically the only reason I have to ever play Path of Boredom ever.

Well, him and Soren, I guess.

I think you two might be the only Rolf fans left  hes not worth it in PoR (he can be in RD but its still effort and why when Shinon is zero effort. Still, better than PoR Rolf). But that convoluted bs to get Shinon back when yer not using Rolf is A Thing, my dudes. 

6 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Closest I can think of is Desaix/Dozer, a Zofian Chancellor who betrayed the King, killed all his kids sans one, and tried to take over Zofia with help from Rigel.

He's basically the most despicable guy in the game.

This is in a game where Berkut The Reigning Champion Of Piss Babies(tm) exists, that is saying something. Yeah Desaix is a really nasty fucker who actually has that whole Iago shit going on. Even Slayde is nicer than this guy. 

16 hours ago, unique said:

what is wrong with priam

not that I like him or anything I just actually don't remember so I'm curious

Hes really pointless and basically just Ike fanservice  there's literally nothing to him, other than "being the descendant of the Radiant Hero". Him existing is really inexplicable, to the point of lunacy. I guess hes fun, but mang..so wtf.

14 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Weeeeeeeeell...

It's a step up from the thongs though lmao.

Ehh, i havent seen female barons or anything, but lady cavs in that game are wearing pants. Yeah theres a lot of Fantasy Boob Plate going on but ill take that over assless wyvern rider gear any day. 

40 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Ehh, i havent seen female barons or anything, but lady cavs in that game are wearing pants. Yeah theres a lot of Fantasy Boob Plate going on but ill take that over assless wyvern rider gear any

That's the female Paladin concept art. Lengthwise, it's more like they're wearing panties underneath, but the butt is covered.

I guess I am a weird sort as I like having restrictions on which types of characters can be certain classes as it gives me more justification to use different characters. I guess it has to do with my enjoyment of the Ogre Battle games, but sex-locking classes is fine with me. It really helps that I see the characters more as sets of numbers and attributes than actual characters. Wyvrens having wings in the place of front legs makes a whole lot of biological sense as the only winged creatures in real life that have more than two legs are insects (besides that being what a proper wyvren looks like).

For actual pet peeves, I guess my main one is the weapon grade system with the different metals. From what I have found, silver is pretty bad for making weapons as it is simply too soft. Bronze only works for making short swords and the like as making a bronze weapon too long means that it will bend when used. Iron weapons need to be thicker in order to have the same tensile strength as steel, making the iron effectively heavier. Steel is the only rational choice for material. A good way to fix this is just to rename the weapon grades Economy, Standard/Common, Heavy/Bulky, and Quality as that is basically what grades are respectively.

I also think that many of the weapons are too bulky to have any practical use (the Armorslayer is essentially a steel paddle and the head of the hammer looks like it could snap off with one swing). If anything, the Armorslayer should be thin as, historically, those were the preferred types of blades for dealing with plate armor (it made it easier to exploit gaps in the armor). Making the Armorslayer look like an estoc would be great (the lack of an edge even makes halfswording easier). Intelligent Systems were on the right track with the stiletto in Path of Radiance as its long, thin design made it great against armored foes, yet they failed to make the thing long and thin. The head of the hammer only needs to be the size of a hardware store hammer to be effective as the length of the handle works as a good lever that generates enough power to dent the armor and concuss or outright kill the opponent (because going for the head is always the best policy).