Fire Emblem Pet Peeves and Petty Complaints!

Thane

7 minutes ago, KoimanZX said:

I also think that many of the weapons are too bulky to have any practical use (the Armorslayer is essentially a steel paddle and the head of the hammer looks like it could snap off with one swing). If anything, the Armorslayer should be thin as, historically, those were the preferred types of blades for dealing with plate armor (it made it easier to exploit gaps in the armor). Making the Armorslayer look like an estoc would be great (the lack of an edge even makes halfswording easier). Intelligent Systems were on the right track with the stiletto in Path of Radiance as its long, thin design made it great against armored foes, yet they failed to make the thing long and thin. The head of the hammer only needs to be the size of a hardware store hammer to be effective as the length of the handle works as a good lever that generates enough power to dent the armor and concuss or outright kill the opponent (because going for the head is always the best policy).    

But how are you going to make pancakes of your enemies?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

But how are you going to make pancakes of your enemies?

Just have a dragon sit on them (the hammer is not going to accomplish that goal if the head is too big for the handle, and a weapon that throws the user around is no good).

46 minutes ago, KoimanZX said:

Just have a dragon sit on them (the hammer is not going to accomplish that goal if the head is too big for the handle, and a weapon that throws the user around is no good).

...I'll admit it's unrelated, but I think the bulkiness of anti-armour is intentional, for the purposes of weapon weight. I mean, it is called the HEAVY Spear.

In no particular order...

The new art-style from the recent games.

RNG

FE6's growth rates (Seriously I have gotten level ups where nothing goes up multiple times in that game. And I mean on "good" growth characters with no maxed stats.)

FE11's side-quest requirements.

Needless localization changes that come and bite them in the ass in a later game (Ettard/Alondite issue, calling dragons wyverns in the first English release, removal of FE9 maniac mode screwing up FE10 save data, etc.)

Payed DLC, though to be fair this goes for any game. If I pay $50+ for a game, I want the content that goes with it. I don't mind it on F2P games as all, but not on a game you already payed for.

RNG

FE4s weapon and class balance (or lack of it)

The GBAs magic sword system, FE6 Runesword was the only good one.

No gold weapons yet, if there were no silver it might make sense, but come on, unless you have were-<creatures> in a game, I don't see why you would have silver but not gold.

Speaking of silver weapons, silver weapons being A-rank (or equivalent) in any games besides FE1-4, B rank is what they should be.

RNG

This last one is more a fandom thing, but people who want easier games, the series has been softened more then enough already, how could it be "hard" when not playing hard-mode? Yes that sounded rude so I apologize. Maybe Thracia 776, FE9 Maniac, and FE12 Lunatic spoiled me too much.

1. Redundant Classes. One of the things that bothered me about FE4 was that we had Classes like Fire Mage, and Wind Mage, and Thunder Mage. And then there was the regular Mage. Why so many Mages? This applies to the Sword, Lance, and Axe Cavaliers too.

I wouldn't say the knights were redundant considering how weapons and blood worked in that game, but yeah the mages kind of were.

10 hours ago, Camus The Dark Knight said:

calling dragons wyverns in the first English release

In fairness, there's a rather obvious reason for this change.  The protagonists' goal in FE7 is to prevent Nergal from bringing dragons to Elibe.  They were trying to distinguish the "dragons" the class rides from that, as otherwise it's pretty much Fridge Logic.

Okay, here goes. Big spoilers for most games:

FE4:

- I can't stand the fact that the only reason the good guys win is because Manfroy fucks up. The guy that basically set all the events of the game in motion makes the dumbest mistake in the series. Not sure if this qualifies as petty since it's kind of a big plot point, but it's such a dumb moment that it ruins the whole story for me.

- Also the way to trade weapons (selling and have another character buy it) is dumb. I understand it's required for gameplay reasons, but it's still stupid.

FE5:

- The fact that it's never explained why it's required for Olwen to be dead so you can recruit Eyrios. I guess they noticed in the last minute they added an extra character in Route A so they added a random requirement so that the routes could even out, but they forgot to add some extra text to explain it. And it's Karin who recruits him, who has no relation to Olwen either.

FE7:

- Ninian being randomly revived at the end of the game. It really neuters the emotion of her death scene before.

FE9:

- Maniac mode getting removed for no other reason than apparently Nintendo thinking it's too difficult for western gamers.

FE10:

- Tons of characters appearing in one or two Base Convos, hinting at some nice backstory but then doing nothing with it. Aran and Laura were childhood friends but they were separated when Aran was taken to Begnion? Zihark and Meg are supposed to be engaged? Fiona is the daughter of one of Daien's greatest knights? Heather is looting to help her mother? Yeah, let's completely forget we started a backstory for these characters and instead focus on this ridiculously messy plot.

FE14:

Why oh WHY can't the royal princesses support their nephews? They had the balls to tease Elise x Forrest in his Paralogue, but then we go back to My Castle and see they can't Support? Awful, awful missed opportunity here.

I'm pretty appreciative of things by nature so basically anything you see me complaining about will fall into this category.

Shadow Dragon

Spoiler

*No surprise but the Gaiden requirements. And not only the Gaiden requirements but the actually Gaiden content. Sure the new characters aren't bad by any measure but that's important development and gameplay time that could have been used to expanding upon the characters we already have like Minerva and Hardin. Especially Hardin. He's a super major character in the next game but he can die within the first few turns of recruiting him and not a single line of the story is changed.

*Characters only having one quote when you fight them even if they have multiple programmed (that is to say the first time you fight them they'll say something and then will never speak again until killed even if you engage them with another character).

*Now irrelevant but the online ship being...well online. I played Shadow Dragon a lot during release and at the time the internet everywhere in my country was incompatible with the regular DS. It really sucked knowing there was a lot of cool content available only online even though it has nothing to do with online features. Could have thrown an elysian whip and a brave sword in there somewhere.

Gaiden/Shadows Of Valencia

Spoiler

*Alm's more generic and boring nice guy personality.

*Celica only getting one villager. I feel even a second would do great for increasing the diversity of her army.

*Rudolf's redesign

*The fact that basically every class is mono weapon even though multiple weapons is a tangible feature in the game that they just choose to ignore.

*Axes getting the shaft (pun partially intended)

*Skills being so restrictive

*No Anna or no dancers

New Mystery (as I haven't played Old Mystery)

Spoiler

*How haphazardly the BS characters are integrated. I absolutely love that they're there and you can play the Gaiden maps but they just show up without making a whole lot of sense or impact.

*Michalis surviving (after Shadow Dragon). He only had a scant few lines in the original but he made an impact on me and I felt like his death really meant something. Don't think much was added to bring him back only to kill him again (yeah I know you can save him in New Mystery but that doesn't resolve the core issue. And just makes it odd that he can't save Maria).

*Dismounting wasn't brought back

*Tiki's other Dragon Stones being completely unavailable on harder difficulties.

Genealogy of Holy War

Spoiler

*Julius, Julia and Celice only having two holy blood types even though they should have three. Sure Celice is the prince of light but he can have some darkness (lopt) in him too.

*Not getting to use every Holy Weapon. I know it's thematic that the bloodlines have broken out into civil war so to speak but still, I feel sort of cheated the breeding mechanics can't let me make a Major Blood Fala or Neir.

Thracia 776

Spoiler

*Faval, Ishtar and the Mage Sisters don't appear to take back Leinster after you reunite with Seliph. That's just basic continuity that wasn't ignored. Plus if Faval joined Leif it would have really emphasised his Holy Weapon envy he sort of starts developing towards the end.

*Brigid being Evyel. I feel Evyel is a strong enough character on her own and it adds very little to make her Briggid (and contributes towards cheapening the impact of the Barbara Massacre).

*Staves being able to miss...Why IS? Why? I can deal with infinite poison, fatigue, trap tiles, leadership stars and even glitches heroes. But this just sucks beyond belief.

Sword of Seals

Spoiler

*The inability to buy weapons for the Trial Maps. Specifically Roy's solo trial map where the challenge is conserving enough weapon uses instead of combat related.

*I'm okay with Idoun being a pushover final boss for plot reasons but if that's the route they wanted to go then Yahn should have been the true final boss in terms of gameplay.

*Getting Roy promoted after the Apocalypse Gaiden rather than before it.

Blazing Blade

Spoiler

*Lyn not getting Murgleis when her other lord buddies get proper legendary weapons.

*Hector's extra chapters being treated as full chapters even though polities they're as important as Gaiden. It just throws the whole numbering system out of balance.

Sacred Stones

Spoiler

*The fact that you have to play the game twice to see both stories (and thus the entire plot). Kaiden was made like fifteen years earlier and even that let you actually play both lords paths simultaneously.

*Even if you could play both paths at once I still feel the games a bit on the short side. People praise Lyon but I find the whole final act to be very rushed.

Path of Radiance

Spoiler

*The difficulty. Manic would have been nice.

*Even though I didn't play it originally on normal mode, it irks me to no end that Ashford neither moves nor goes berserk on normal mode. Let him do at least one and then add to the difficulty by piling on the second.

*Losing skills for good when you unequal them. Even if they're permanently attached to one unit I should still have the freedom to equip them later should I choose.

Radiant Dawn

Spoiler

*Sephiran's backstory being cut slightly in the English version (though I suppose you could say the extended script in general but that's the only instance I know of that seems like it would really make a difference).

*1st tiers basically not existing. A three tier system is cool but it's not all that meaningful if 90% of the cast are pre promotes.

*Pelleas' availability. I'm not actually all that bothered you need to play the game twice to get him but I why does he only start fighting at that point? Even getting him from base at 4-2 would go a long way as you could equip paragon to him. Instead he just walks onto the battlefield for no real reason.

*Tormod and co's avilaibility are also excessively limited. They really couldn't have shoved them into the plot at some earlier point? Not like their arrival was all that elegant in the end.

*Kind of disappointed there was no chapter where you actually enter Siene. Fighting in a city just like the start of the game would have a nice sort of full circle thing going for it. In fact I would have liked it to be the End Game for Part 4 and then dedicated the actual endgame to its own part 5. Having endgame part 1,2,3 etc is weird to me.

Awakening

Spoiler

*Walhart not using Alm's Falchion is a massive disappointment to me. It would have been so thematically appropriate.

*Valm arc overall I would have liked as an independent game. Everything about it just feels so trite the way its done even though I like a lot of it in concept.

*Walhart having ONE MILLION SOLDIERS! It's so completely and utterly ridiculous. I've been thinking of making a thread about how monstrously exaggerated and unresearched that figure is.

*I don't mind half the villains coming back to life and joining your team, but it does bother me they bring Emmeryn back. There was absolutely no reason too and it breaks so many rules of logic that it even happened. Or at least if you were going to bring her back, pull a Yen'Fey and have her be from an alternate timeline or something. Then she could actually speak and be a character. Rather than Robin seducing a disabled person.

*Spotpass characters not having any supports outside of the avatar is pretty grating.

*Tiki and Nowi not having a natural support. Though on that point I suppose I can be thankful because the pseudo support they did get in Harvest Scramble is probably better written than any support they could have rushed to finish during the main game.

*Tiki saying Nah is the first manakete hybrid even if she already gave birth to one herself -_-

*Like none of the geography being consistent with the earlier games.

*Did nobody notice how out of place that one prologue after Emmeryn's death was? Seriously guys context. Not only is it a mood swing but it directly violates the plot since in the next chapter your still desperately escaping!

Fates

Spoiler

*Elise not being temporarily playable in Birthright. Would have made her death extra surprising.

*Owen, Inigo and Severa not being important. I like the idea of them cameoing and the DLC does give sort of good reason for them to be there, but then they do fuck all throughout the actual story. Which I suppose is down to...

*The Stupid Valla Curse. Forget blood pacts and Erika handing away macguffins. This is by far the worst plot point in the entire series and I would be very surprised if it's ever surpassed. I struggle to think of anything more contrived or ridiculous. And it wouldn't even be all that hard to edit out! Just make Azura in the dark about Valla too! It's not like she ever uses her knowledge about it to do anything!

*Not fighting Garon in Revelations.

*The Kitsune chapter in Conquest. Fighting enemies that are invincible on alternate turns and are equipped with pass is not fun -_- At the very least give me that bullshit ability.

*Izana's death in Revelations...Why? Just why? Was it meant to be tragic? Was it meant to show how harsh the world is? Would it really had made any difference at all if he survived and you just never went back there again?

*That Sakura was not Corrin's sister. Just makes Mikoto's connection to Hoshido feel really weak (ditto for Arete and Nohr).

*Why can't Reina and Scarlet support with anyone but Corrin? Like I don't agree with it but I get Tiki and Say'Ri in Awakening can't reproduce but there's no such stipulation in Fates. They just can't support with anyone because they're obtained just a little bit later than the rest of the cast! And the game even seems to ship Ryoma and Scarlet a bit!

*Oh yeah, speaking of, the whole kids and deep realm thing to begin with. So unnecessary.

Edited by Jotari

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

*Walhart having ONE MILLION SOLDIERS! It's so completely and utterly ridiculous. I've been thinking of making a thread about how monstrously exaggerated and unresearched that figure is.

I agree, that number is ridiculous. IS has no idea of real medieval European population totals, Napoleon in his 1812 invasion of Russia, which was long after the Middle Ages, had a mere 500,000+ soldiers. I mean China, with its historically gigantic population probably would have been able to muster 1 mil during a couple of its dynasties, but Europe, which FE is based on, absolutely not!

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

*Did nobody notice how out of place that one prologue after Emmeryn's death was? Seriously guys context. Not only is it a mood swing but it directly violates the plot since in the next chapter your still desperately escaping!

Oh I've noticed it. IS really botched the timing of that Paralogue, and it doesn't help that's when Anna joins. Who to add insult to injury actually has a line in the team rally that takes place after the desperate escape chapter- IS expected we'd go and get her! It's an extreme case of the immersion breaking a free-roam world map can inflict. And mind you, Sacred Stones, which also had a world map, did at times lock you into two consecutive battles- why didn't IS do the same with Awakening?

I also agree that the Valm Arc was trite but with some good ideas. I liked the idea of a Korean setting in FE in the form of Chon'sin, even though we have nothing more than a loose idea of its location and its name. I like criticizing the execution of Yen'fay, there is no buildup of his fighting abilities or anything else prior to his one lava-filled chapter. Zelgius in RD on the other hand was splendidly portrayed from chapters 3-2 to 3-10.

Walhart was also fairly interesting as egotistical, ambitious, and bellicose, while also being an atheist humanist with some likability- a poor man's Cao Cao.

I really wanted to see Siene too! And Tormod should've joined the GMs before 3-2, with Haar, Ilyana and the others. And in the eventual FE4 remake, I want C10 Saias, with Valflame honorably taken from Arvis's dead hands for the final chapter. And final chapter playable Arion (just tweak his status from red to blue instead of green after Altenna talks with him), Ishtar can get some form of recruitment- defeat with Tinny/Arthur? And for Helswath, maybe have Iuchar/Iucharba kill the brother you don't recruit, which causes the other brother to yield without hatred as they die, and magically the living brother's blood is increased to Major (Major BS yes, but I can't see us getting Helswath any other way).

Seeing Charlotte's Cipher art as a Hero (in spoiler) makes me upset that characters in Fates don't keep their color scheme when promoting to a certain class:

Spoiler

Ohmsu2z.jpg

Like wtf? The white/aqua color scheme would've looked so cool on Charlotte if she were a Hero. And people would've definitely stopped complaining about the lack of clothes she wore if Hero was her "canon" promotion.

Palla being pronounced "Pal-uh" instead of like the name "Paula". I was very shocked and disappointed when hearing Catria say Palla's name in Echoes lol

On 5/31/2017 at 11:25 AM, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Faye being an archer in Heroes when she can't become one in Echoes. I know it's minor, but it gets under my skin so badly. WHAT THE FUCK GAME????

YES WTF

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I agree, that number is ridiculous. IS has no idea of real medieval European population totals, Napoleon in his 1812 invasion of Russia, which was long after the Middle Ages, had a mere 500,000+ soldiers. I mean China, with its historically gigantic population probably would have been able to muster 1 mil during a couple of its dynasties, but Europe, which FE is based on, absolutely not!

Oh I've noticed it. IS really botched the timing of that Paralogue, and it doesn't help that's when Anna joins. Who to add insult to injury actually has a line in the team rally that takes place after the desperate escape chapter- IS expected we'd go and get her! It's an extreme case of the immersion breaking a free-roam world map can inflict. And mind you, Sacred Stones, which also had a world map, did at times lock you into two consecutive battles- why didn't IS do the same with Awakening?

I also agree that the Valm Arc was trite but with some good ideas. I liked the idea of a Korean setting in FE in the form of Chon'sin, even though we have nothing more than a loose idea of its location and its name. I like criticizing the execution of Yen'fay, there is no buildup of his fighting abilities or anything else prior to his one lava-filled chapter. Zelgius in RD on the other hand was splendidly portrayed from chapters 3-2 to 3-10.

Walhart was also fairly interesting as egotistical, ambitious, and bellicose, while also being an atheist humanist with some likability- a poor man's Cao Cao.

I really wanted to see Siene too! And Tormod should've joined the GMs before 3-2, with Haar, Ilyana and the others. And in the eventual FE4 remake, I want C10 Saias, with Valflame honorably taken from Arvis's dead hands for the final chapter. And final chapter playable Arion (just tweak his status from red to blue instead of green after Altenna talks with him), Ishtar can get some form of recruitment- defeat with Tinny/Arthur? And for Helswath, maybe have Iuchar/Iucharba kill the brother you don't recruit, which causes the other brother to yield without hatred as they die, and magically the living brother's blood is increased to Major (Major BS yes, but I can't see us getting Helswath any other way).

I doubt even China could muster a million soldiers during any point before industrialisation. The Mongol Hoard, who's name is synonymous with high numbers and became arguably the largest empire on the planet, barely managed to break one hundred thousand if I recall correctly.

I meant did nobody on the development team notice how out of place that paralogue is. Because I know the players noticed because it sticks out like a sore thumb severed hand.

I'm actually quite sure that Arion didn't become playable because he wouldn't fit in the castle. There's like exactly 24 units for both generation and all of them have their own personalised position in the home castle. Arion would have broken that limit so if by some crazy reason you wanted to repopulate your home castle that late in the game you wouldn't be able to. Sounds like a silly reason but those things matter in programming. Of course the other option would be to simply disable him from entering personally. Though credit to them him being an ally rather than a playable really displays how he's fighting for Altena and not Seliph.

I know a lot of people would probably complain but I reckon Holy War could do well with an avatar. The plot's already entered around Sigurd and Seliph enough that they wouldn't be able to steal it all that much and the Marry Everyone mentality would actually have a lot of use, particularly if you could determine a minor holy blood for them to have.

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Carter said:

Palla being pronounced "Pal-uh" instead of like the name "Paula". I was very shocked and disappointed when hearing Catria say Palla's name in Echoes lol

I mean, if she were supposed to be Paula she would have been localised as Paula and not as Palla back in Shadon Dragon.

Ahem, does Catria’s name get said? I desperately need to know it is pronounced. Is it CAT-ree-uh, cat-REE-uh, CUT-ree-uh, or cut-REE-uh?
(or even KATE-ree-uh?)

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I mean, if she were supposed to be Paula she would have been localised as Paula and not as Palla back in Shadon Dragon.

Ahem, does Catria’s name get said? I desperately need to know it is pronounced. Is it CAT-ree-uh, cat-REE-uh, CUT-ree-uh, or cut-REE-uh?
(or even KATE-ree-uh?)

Palla pronounces Catria's name as CAT-ree-uh. (Cat-tree-uh)

I used to pronounce it as cut-REE-uh, like the name Katrina, but without the r.

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

Palla pronounces Catria's name as CAT-ree-uh. (Cat-tree-uh)

I used to pronounce it as cut-REE-uh, like the name Katrina, but without the r.

Same for me, actually. SInce the beginning, I was almost sure it’s CAT-ree-uh but I just can’t help prononucing it as cut-REE-uh.

the enemy landing 1% crits towards the end of a chapter, bs rng in general

I know this was mentioned earlier but the norhian siblings looking more related to each than the hoshidan siblings who are suppose to all have the same mother just ????

ryoma's hair

genealogy of the holy war's awful 90' anime look and the rest of the nes games for that matter

Edited by Alm(mond)

36 minutes ago, Alm(mond) said:

ryoma's hair

ryoma's hair

ryoma's hair

Spoiler

tumblr_mnzbz1FaTE1s8or22o3_250.gif

Edited by Tibarn's Distracting Lisp

4 minutes ago, Alm(mond) said:

with that mess he calls i hair it probably doesnt even come close to that

i hair. Is that some kind of fancy new Apple Brand hair?

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

i hair. Is that some kind of fancy new Apple Brand hair?

(making fun of my typo are we??) But with all those spikes I wouldn't be surprised if he does manage getting a decent signal lol

One stat level ups on characters with decent growth rates. The weight system becoming redundant with physical units later in the game in Path of Radiance. Same turn reinforcements in the games that have them. Also I tend to stockpile all my good weapons while still using iron and steel, so that's my fault. At least Fates made it easier by making iron weapons the ones you use in general. 

1 minute ago, Alm(mond) said:

(making fun of my typo are we??) But with all those spikes I wouldn't be surprised if he does manage getting a decent signal lol

Yeah, I vote Ryoma for the most ridiculous hair award in Fates. I looked at it again and it's a literal mess.

Another pet peeve I have is that, while Walhart is said to be vegetarian, nothing is done with it. I would love there to be a conversation with him and Paris/Priam arguing over eating meat (since Paris is a big carnivore and thus opposite to Walhart). I also dislike how Paris is called Priam in the localization as the name Paris is supposed to be a call back to Ike's beta name, furthering his connection with Ike.

It really annoys me that the options menu is not in the file select screen in Fates and Echoes (or in many of the games in the series) like most video games, but rather one needs to select the file and access it from the first battle. I dislike how I need to set the options to my liking every time I start a new file.

1 minute ago, KoimanZX said:

Another pet peeve I have is that, while Walhart is said to be vegetarian, nothing is done with it. I would love there to be a conversation with him and Paris/Priam arguing over eating meat (since Paris is a big carnivore and thus opposite to Walhart). I also dislike how Paris is called Priam in the localization as the name Paris is supposed to be a call back to Ike's beta name, furthering his connection with Ike.

It really annoys me that the options menu is not in the file select screen in Fates and Echoes (or in many of the games in the series) like most video games, but rather one needs to select the file and access it from the first battle. I dislike how I need to set the options to my liking every time I start a new file.

Going way off topic to another game but I disliked how the options weren't saved in Radiant Dawn. Specifically that I preferred to play the game with the WiiMote vertically in one h and rather than held sideways between two. Yet every time I entered the game it would reset to the default because the options were only stored to my file.

The interface complaints remind me of another one of mine I forgot- you can't return to the title screen/main menu once you select a file in any FE game barring a reset, closing from the home screen, or in-battle suspend/battle save. This is annoying when I have multiple files I'm playing at the same time and I want to switch between them.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The interface complaints remind me of another one of mine I forgot- you can't return to the title screen/main menu once you select a file in any FE game barring a reset, closing from the home screen, or in-battle suspend/battle save. This is annoying when I have multiple files I'm playing at the same time and I want to switch between them.

Forget multiple files. Even if screw up and get someone killed the only way to reset without going through all that preloading stuff is to make a bookmark. Seems really out of place given that the developers know people will be resetting a lot in these games.