Fire Emblem Pet Peeves and Petty Complaints!

Thane

Hello everyone.

I think the name of the thread is pretty self-explanatory: we'll talk about our pet peeves and petty complaints surrounding the series in a hopefully lighthearted manner. This is not a place for serious complaints or being (overly) negative. 

I'll start with some of the things that bug me.

1) The term Beorc

Oh I've got nothing against the word. What bothers me far more than it should is how that's the standard word for humans. They could've just made the Laguz call humans Beorc as a fantasy insult, which would've made much more sense, but no, the humans of Tellius are Beorcs and just call themselves humans. It's beyond silly to call regular humans something else and then have the word human be an insult.

2) When you equip a weapon in Shadows of Valentia, the text bar slightly enters the skill/attribute menu.

3) Midoriko's eyebrows are always green, often clashing with her hair color.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright for a genuine thing that vaguely bothers me (that one was just as a joke because I knew a lot of people noticed it):

in laurent and severa's S support, severa says "You say you've started to understand my tastes, right? ...But can you guess what I want right now?

to which laurent replies "...I don't understand. Is this a riddle of some kind? Are you going to ask me what is in your pocket next?"

now I don't have a problem with pop culture references in video games based in times or worlds where the thing they're referencing doesn't exist (yet)

but here, it's not just a reference to the thing, laurent says it as if he's referencing it himself. laurent has read the hobbit. jrr tolkien exists in fire emblem world I guess

i guess this is more amusing than annoying but still it's the kind of thing I thought too hard about

Edited by unique

Supports in PoR do not build from fighting near each other.  Characters can be fighting on opposite ends of the map basically the whole time and they still get support points because it's deployment based only.  That always really bothered me about FE9's support system.

FE10 added sword equivalents of hand axes, javelins, etc. and yet they took them away in Awakening for no apparent reason.  I can see not putting them in the remakes but come on, Awakening has no excuse.  

Speaking of Awakening and ranged swords, the throwing thing looked ridiculous, what was wrong with the sword beam things FE10 had?

The lack of supports for Spotpass characters in Awakening was really silly, there's really no good reason for Emm to not support Chrom/Lissa for instance.

Yeah, throwing swords is one of my more recent complaints, too. It looks so silly. The blade beam looked way better, and I don't think anyone had problems with it. 

Gender locked classes are back with SoV. Sure, it's a remake but it's really stupid how I won't be able to make Faye a Baron just because of it. I wanted to make every villager a Baron. Especially Faye.

I have a lot of nitpicks. Bare with me.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

3) Midoriko's eyebrows are always green, often clashing with her hair color.

Ugh, I hate this, too. Honestly, the fact that her eyebrows are always green makes me contemplate not getting her most of the time.

Spoiler

1) Sumia not being able support Stahl. Yes, it's very specific. No, I don't hate Sumia. Her and Stahl just should have been able to support each other.

2) Generic weapon icons in Fates. It really annoys me that I have to equip the weapon, then look at the unit's close up just to see how a weapon looks when I could have just glanced at the icon for literally one second and got the same result.

3) The laguz gauge in PoR. Like, it isn't something that keeps me from using laguz units and the particular units that I tend to use aren't really hampered by it, but it's existence annoys me so much.

4) Ena being classified as a Red Dragon - who are STR based - but having the growths of a White Dragon - who are MAG oriented. What kind of backwards-assed thinking was that? Did the developers think it funny making me dislike a character that I genuinely enjoyed in the story?

5) Fiona existing.

6) Avatarsexuals being locked to only a support with the Avatar. It figures they tend to have some interesting backstories or roles in the game, but they can't be expanded by having supports.

7) Lancers not being a playable class since PoR's Soldier class (or possibly before). Yes, I know Fates has the Spear Fighter. No, I don't want that. No, I don't have anything against the Japanese inspiration. I just want my Halberdier design back.

8) Stefan being on a specific tile and having to use a laguz to recruit him or you'll just get a sword one of your units may or may not ever be able to use. Never have I gotten a unit to S rank besides Ike and he has a personal weapon that better anyways.

9) Pit falls in PoR. Yes, I know the exploit with flying units, but they still piss me off.

10) The animations for magic swords in Fates when an infantry unit uses them. When Ryoma uses Raijinto, it looks like he's squatting to take a royal shit.

11) There not being varied elemental weapons. PoR had the Sonic Sword, Flame Lance and probably some elemental axe that I can't remember. What does Awakening/Fates have? Lightning Sword. Lightning Lance. Lighting Axe. Then Ryoma gets a personal Lightning Sword. Really, guys?

12) The diamond cutouts on some uniforms' pants in Fates. Looks dumb.

13) Fem!Corrin's default hair clips through her cape. Looking at it makes me angry.

14) Shinon's recruitment being needlessly convoluted just to justify some in-story shit.

15) I hate that wyverns don't have arms in Awakening/Fates. Looks stupid.

16) That Odin's Grimoire reuses Siegfried's animation.

17) That Tsubaki's personal weapon is the only good one that was made with unit's growths in mind.

18) The facial markings in Fates doesn't appear on the 3D model of the Avatar. Did they just forget that or something? Was Fates rushed?

19) That Tsubaki's name was localized as "Subaki." Seriously?

20) Mozu's name is Mozu. Why did they change "Mozume" to "Mozu"?

21) Caeldori's name.

22) Most of the localized names in Fates besides Xander, to be honest.

23) Azura not being able to wear the dark costume during CQ. Or ever again.

24) Being able to kill Shura for Boots. Damn, you kill a man and all you get are some Boots? Do you know where those Boot come from? You kill a man and you steal his shoes right off his damn feet. Talk about cold-blooded, Corrin.

25) Flora being able to produce a mixtape to roast herself during BR. Did she use the Flame Shuriken to, like, catch her clothes on fire? Is her mom a part of the Fire Tribe or something?

26) The toilets on the Cavaliers necks in Awakening.

27) Not being able to equip the Malig Knight's mask triggers me. Speaking of which, the accessory feature of Fates just being completely gutted in the NA version.

28) Nah and Inigo's support.

29) The Royal Royale DLC. My patience is running extremely thin with Team Sakura. I've beaten it with Team Ryoma, Team Hinoka (surprisingly) and Team Takumi. Hana's shitty personal weapon keeps me from doubling and it makes my blood pressure go up thinking about.

30) That Sages can use knives in PoR.

31) Lyre existing.

32) Heather existing.

33) Hinata being an afterthought on Team Takumi. Damn, Takumi has another retainer besides Oboro, people. Geez.

34) Kyza being a shitty unit because I really like him.

35) The Wyvern Rider secondary class being called "Dragon" during character creation in Fates.

36) Ike being slower in games after PoR/RD when he was actually one of the faster units.

37) The Merchant portrait in Fates. Smug bastard.

38) When a unit's promotion doesn't retain the original color scheme. I hate seeing Camilla in Blue/Silver as a Wyvern Lord when I want her in Black/Gold.

39) No male manaketes being introduced in the newer games. Corrin doesn't count.

40) That Oboro can't support Arthur.

I think I'm finished now. I feel a little better, too.

Edited by saisymbolic

Some of my FE pet peeves.

1. Redundant Classes. One of the things that bothered me about FE4 was that we had Classes like Fire Mage, and Wind Mage, and Thunder Mage. And then there was the regular Mage. Why so many Mages? This applies to the Sword, Lance, and Axe Cavaliers too.

2. Desert maps.

3. Fog of War.

4. In Binding Blade, only characters who fought in the final battle get proper endings. Those who didn't get like, a 5-word ending.

5. Peri

6. How Azura can Support with both sets of royal sibilings, EXCEPT Camilla.

7. The Pawn Shop in FE4. Just have regular trading like in other FE games, geez.

Spoiler

8. Izana's death in Revelation. I actually have a headcanon in which he just faked his death because "it's just a prank bro".

9. How only Dragonstone is obtainable in Binding Blade and Sacred Stones. Once it breaks, that's it.

10. The Knight Class (and General)'s movement. This is unfair. #KnightMovementMatters

11. Legendary weapons in the GBA games having durability. I think FE4/5 had it too.

The Fire Dragon's battle entrance is kinda off- why does it turn its eyes back for a moment for before yelling?

No recruitable Fargus. I liked him!

Brammimond not being playable despite having his own unique class with unique stats data. I'm his no. 1 devotee.

That Vigarde and Mansel aren't recruitable in Creature Campaign.

Greil ever being shown with his unused "strong version" stats, it would have been impressive to see in like C5 or something Greil's 20+ stats when you're lucky to be breaking 10.

Unused content/dropped ideas in general- I'm too fascinated by what could have been.

That we never get anything on Stefan's Branded village.

Florete not being magical damage. Cards being useless.

No Rescue feature/Marth being the only one able to visit villages in SD. Makes things slower than it has to be.

That Anna's Paralogue opens up just after Emmy goes skydiving.

No playable Barbarian.

No handsome grown Xane.

No kids for either Say'ri or Anna (but i'm okay Tiki and Flavia not having any). I would have liked an Annette (Thief) and Gor'yeo (Barbarian). Or a Jos'eon (custom outfit Dark Mage) and Jacques (Fighter).

No recruitable Nina if you do NilesxM!Corrin. Not so much b/c her, as I want that free Shining Bow from her chapter.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Let's see...

1. Midori's evergreen eyebrows.

2. Inigo not getting a unique portrait in Awakening if he's Chrom's son. He has the Mark of Naga, for cripes' sake, don't draw attention to it if you're not going to have it reflected in the sprites.

3. Related, but none of Chrom's other kids getting Lord.

4. Generic weapon icons in Fates.

5. Fates' arbitrary name changes in localization. Subaki? Mozu? What even is this garbage, Treehouse? And don't even get me started on Niles.

6. No male playable manaketes since Bantu (Kamui doesn't count).

7. The vast amount of inventory cluttering weapons from Fates.

8. Fates' DLC forcing you to use largely terrible premade units and teams.

9. The recurring lack of 1-2 range swords in the series aside from the Levin Sword, which most sword units can't use well anyway.

10. Gaius and Maribelle's paired ending. What the hell, IntSys?

11. Chrom and Sumia being restricted to a limited support pool for no good reason.

12. 20 durability legendary weapons in Binding Blade.

13. The incredibly slow WEXP rate in Fates.

14. The lack of paired endings for characters other than Roy in Binding Blade.

5 hours ago, unique said:

but here, it's not just a reference to the thing, laurent says it as if he's referencing it himself. laurent has read the hobbit. jrr tolkien exists in fire emblem world I guess

i guess this is more amusing than annoying but still it's the kind of thing I thought too hard about

Awakening's localization is full of pop-culture references because reasons. Like the Princess Bride references in Inigo's paralogue, or the out of nowhere Mystery Science Theater 3000 reference in Lissa or Owain's support, or the Final Fantasy VII reference in Maribelle and Brady's support, or the American Pie reference in Henry and Miriel's support, etc. etc. Actually...

15. The out of nowhere pop culture references in Awakening. Why do they exist? I get the ones to other FE games, but there are a baffling number of them that refer to non-FE games.

Just now, AzureSen said:

Awakening's localization is full of pop-culture references because reasons. Like the Princess Bride references in Inigo's paralogue, or the out of nowhere Mystery Science Theater 3000 reference in Lissa or Owain's support, or the Final Fantasy VII reference in Maribelle and Brady's support, or the American Pie reference in Henry and Miriel's support, etc. etc. Actually...

i'm aware of that, and I honestly find most of them pretty funny

it's just that one in particular that I find weird because while with the others you can just assume that inigo really does call random girls "buttercup", and that brady just really wants his dad to drink his damn tea

but with laurent and severa's support, he makes a joke about the hobbit. laurent has read the hobbit

Can't think of many off the top of my head but:

1. None of the Nohrian siblings comment on Corrin's dragon form. No one questions his lineage. Ryoma never brings up his status as not being blood related to the Hoshidans in Birthright unless you S-support him.

2. The Awakening Trio never actually do anyway towards their mission.

3. Color palletes aren't customized even though enemy generics can have a separate color pallete.

4. No Scarlet x Ryoma support despite their shared story involvement. No support for Chrom/Lisa x Emmeryn.

36 minutes ago, unique said:

but with laurent and severa's support, he makes a joke about the hobbit. laurent has read the hobbit

I don't know, I think it works for the same reason why it works in the hobbit. Laurent thinks Severa is asking him something he has no way of knowing just like Bilbo asked Gollum a "riddle" that he'd have no way of answering.

Does this include pet peeves with fire emblem players? Hm, I'll save those for when somebody re-does the "unpopular opinions about Fire Emblem" thread.

Sibling characters with different features. Eirika and Ephraim have the same hair and eye color. What's up with the hoshidan siblings? They all had the same parents, and none of them with the same shade of hair as Sumeragi, and we don't know what Sumeragi's first wife looked like. Where are these genes coming from? Also Alfonse and Sharena - different eye and hair colors. Stop that.

Edited by Gustavos

45 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

OH MY GOD

HOW HAVE I NOT NOTICED THE "DEEP HURTING" REFERENCE IN THESE LAST 4 YEARS

3 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Sibling characters with different features. Eirika and Ephraim have the same hair and eye color. What's up with the hoshidan siblings? They all had the same parents, and none of them with the same shade of hair as Sumeragi, and we don't know what Sumeragi's first wife looked like. Where are these genes coming from? Also Alfonse and Sharena - different eye and hair colors. Stop that.

I have orange hair and blue eyes. My brother has brown hair and brown eyes. Welcome to the exciting world of genetics.

4 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I have orange hair and blue eyes. My brother has brown hair and brown eyes. Welcome to the exciting world of genetics.

Orange hair is a bit of a different story, since it's a recessive gene that can just randomly pop up after many generations. That stuff happens here and there, but to have siblings share so few traits is a rarity.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Bro, explain how four unique phenotypes spawn from an unknown parent and a father that has a fifth. That is scientifically opposed to the concept of genetics.

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Orange hair is a bit of a different story, since it's a recessive gene that can just randomly pop up after many generations. That stuff happens here and there, but to have siblings share so few traits is a rarity.

7 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Bro, explain how four unique phenotypes spawn from an unknown parent and a father that has a fifth. That is scientifically opposed to the concept of genetics.

I also have a blonde haired, blue eyed sister. I was responding more to the part about the Heroes characters than the Hoshidans, but even in the latter case, we don't know what their mother looked like or what strange recessive genes exist in fantasy land. If their mother looked like Mikoto, I'd be calling shenanigans. 

3 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

I hate that wyverns don't have arms in Awakening/Fates. Looks stupid.

That's because wyverns don't have forelegs at all. Other than the Wyvern Knight in Sacred Stones their designs actually fit the class name in Awakening and Fates.

I don't think we should delve into anime genetics, especially in a series where Catria, Est and Palla have existed since day one. I mean, three impossible hair colors split among three sisters is pretty telling that aesthetics come first.

This does bring me to something else that bugs me: Micaiah being the "Silver-haired maiden". In a series with so many impossible hair colors, it's silly to make a certain hair color a distinct feature. 

"But Thane, there's no one in Tellius with silver hair, so she's special!"

That's not my point; my point is that it's odd for a teal-haired woman, accompanied by a green-haired woman, to express surprise at a silver-haired woman's hair color.

Edited by Thane

1. Range axes and spears with 20 weight in FE4.
  2. Warptiles in FE5's chapter 24x.
  3. Nerfing the accuracy of axes, lances and bows and make swords so OP in FE6.
  4. Only Ike can set the final blow in FE10.
  5. Sacrificing allies to recruit new ones in FE11.
  6. Introducing of an avatar who just steal the spotlight in the story. FE12 and 14 did it really badly.
  7. Removing of weapon weight in FE12.
  8. Removing of weapon durability in FE14.
  9. Armor knight design in FE13.
  10. Having a fantastic theme of more than four minutes for a boss who's beaten in a matter of seconds in FE13.
  11. Camilla
  12. Removing of berserk stave after FE8.
  13. Introduction of low leveled units in mid-late-game like Wendy, Sophia, Fiona or Nino.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

"But Thane, there's no one in Tellius with silver hair, so she's special!"

That's not my point; my point is that it's odd for a teal-haired woman, accompanied by a green-haired woman, to express surprise at a silver-haired woman's hair color.

Isn't that exactly the point? Silver hair is special relative to their world, not ours. No matter how exotic their hair color spectrum is to us, outside of silver, it's all naturally occurring.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

Isn't that exactly the point? Silver hair is special relative to their world, not ours. No matter how exotic their hair color spectrum is to us, outside of silver, it's all naturally occurring.

It's the point, but it's a silly one nevertheless. The impact of it is completely lost to us, who just assume that pretty much any hair color in that world goes. Had it actually meant something - say, we knew in Path of Radiance that only a select few had it and that it symbolized something important - then I wouldn't have minded it, but now it's just another anime hair color that's treated as special.