Fire Emblem Echoes sold less on its first week in Japan than either Shadow Dragon or New Mystery did.

Nobody

22 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'm talking to the Source Gaming guys and literally the only people worried about these lower sales numbers are devoted FE people, everyone else is like "this seems alright". 

Kinda interesting to me I guess.

Makes sense to me. 3DS game sales, in general, are lower than their DS counterparts, often significantly so. And 131K week 1 is more than fine compared to other 3DS RPGs - Bravely Second sold 100K week one for a comparison, and that was two years ago.

Awakening and Fates were exceptions to 3DS trends, which is what made them such a big deal even though they their raw numbers were well short of Mystery of the Emblem in Japan alone. Echos isn't performing like a blockbuster in JP, but its sales are still quite good for a 3DS RPG.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Harvey said:

So comparing sales between the original gaiden and the remake.

Gaiden:  324,699 

Echoes: 131.668

Even the original did good interms of sales......

Except that's Gaiden's lifetime sales vs. a game that's been out for maybe three days at best and a week at the latest.

People really are trying their hardest to frame Echoes as a sales failure and I can't for the life of me figure out why, especially when we have games like Thracia (75,000 units sold in the first week), Path of Radiance (100,000 copies sold in the first week), Radiant Dawn (75,000 copies sold in the first week), and TMS (~23,000 units sold in the first week) to show us what actual bad first-week sales look like.

We spend all this time talking about how Echoes' sales aren't actually that bad when you look at the big picture.

1 minute ago, PolygonsandVideoGames said:

It's nice to know we won't get a Genealogy remake anytime soon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Seriously though, i wouldn't rule out a Genealogy remake just yet. And even if Echoes did somehow manage to break Awakening or Fates sells, we still wouldn't get a Genealogy remake for a while because Intelligent Systems is focusing on FE Switch right now.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

We spend all this time talking about how Echoes' sales aren't actually that bad when you look at the big picture.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Seriously though, i wouldn't rule out a Genealogy remake just yet. And even if Echoes did somehow manage to break Awakening or Fates sells, we still wouldn't get a Genealogy remake for a while because Intelligent Systems is focusing on FE Switch right now.

We both know they like to pump out FE games once a year. They'll most likely get back into that pattern with how mainstream the series has gotten lately.

6 minutes ago, PolygonsandVideoGames said:

We both know they like to pump out FE games once a year. They'll most likely get back into that pattern with how mainstream the series has gotten lately.

More like, every two-three years. New Mystery came out in 2010, Awakening came out in Japan in 2012, Fates in 2015, and Echoes in 2017. And of course, FE Switch is 2018.

Guys, 2008.8.7, 2010.7.15 and 2017.04.2 were all thursdays, so the first week sales of Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem were also only three days.

Again, Japanese sales are extremely front loaded. You can bet the week 2 sales for Gaiden will be at least 70% lower than its first week's, since that's basically the norm.

Edited by Nobody

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Guys, 2008.8.7, 2010.7.15 and 2017.04.2 were all thursdays, so the first week sales of Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem were also only three days.

Again, Japanese sales are extremely front loaded. You can bet the week 2 sales for Gaiden will be at least 70% lower than its first week's, since that's basically the norm.

idk...I mean compared to Echoes, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery don't have digital downloads..so the idea of not seeing the digital sales is surprising if you ask me whether digital is major in Japan or not.

Also known fact is that SD and NE were released when the DS still had life in it and weren't released on the last years of the DS unlike Echoes which was released in the time that the Switch just got released.

And since the New 2DS XL just showed up, you can bet that Echoes is mostly going to do some major to it as it is briefly advertised within the trailer.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

idk...I mean compared to Echoes, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery don't have digital downloads..so the idea of not seeing the digital sales is surprising if you ask me whether digital is major in Japan or not.

Also known fact is that SD and NE were released when the DS still had life in it and weren't released on the last years of the DS unlike Echoes which was released in the time that the Switch just got released.

And since the New 2DS XL just showed up, you can bet that Echoes is mostly going to do some major to it as it is briefly advertised within the trailer.

Well I mean they are trying to make money off the game and  since it only sold like 100K+ plus in Japan I think they are banking on the west to buy it. America I can see buying like 200k Europe maybe like 100k and that it.

Edited by mikethepokemaster

Not to sound culturally insensitive, so correct me if I'm wrong but I thought gaming in Japan isn't as popular because it takes too much time now which is why mobile games are so popular over there. I was under the impression that most of the companies rely on global sales now.

5 hours ago, PolygonsandVideoGames said:

Why do you have to be like this?

We know literally nothing about the thought process of IS going forward.

These aren't "bad sales". People are severely overreacting, and it shows that there's people outside the FE community are impressed or at least content at how Echoes in selling in Japan (not to say that it couldn't be doing better and they're completely right, but once again no-one should have set their bar at Fates sales or such).

Edited by Tryhard

There's a difference between discussion and preaching.

I see the latter in here.  I don't like it.

If all you want to do is push a narrative, please consider why it's so important that EVERYONE hears it over and over.

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

I just don't get what the "failure" of echoes has anything to do with FE4 remake to begin with. Wasn't interest in making an FE4 remake happened before this even happened?

22 minutes ago, eclipse said:

There's a difference between discussion and preaching.

I see the latter in here.  I don't like it.

If all you want to do is push a narrative, please consider why it's so important that EVERYONE hears it over and over.

Well to be fair, FE kinda is under the niche genre despite being a Nintendo IP. Heck, Awakening/Fates sales numbers were not even mentioned in Nintendo's recent financial meeting

I'm in the camp who thinks that they didn't have huge expectations for Echoes. The game barely had any coverage in Japan until that long 7 minute video and they didn't start to advertise it until 2 weeks before the release. In fact I've seen people on twitter only remembering about the release date because they saw commercials on TV.

People should worry more about FE Switch. It will be the first HD mainline Fire Emblem game which means more expensive development and if you remember about IS' struggles with 3D, there is a real possibility of it ending up a badly optimised and somewhat rushed game.

35 minutes ago, Cat Villager said:

People should worry more about FE Switch. It will be the first HD mainline Fire Emblem game which means more expensive development and if you remember about IS' struggles with 3D, there is a real possibility of it ending up a badly optimised and somewhat rushed game.

They don't need to go to the expensive route if they feel its not worth it though. Awakening/Fates/Echoes while lacking in the graphics department sure looks lovely on the visual sides of things. 

My best bet is that they will mostly use Mirrage Sessions graphics and just stick to that.

Another point of contention, claiming that Echoes success is compounded by the notion that the 3DS is a dead platform couldn't be further from the truth it seems.

Just yesterday, Nintendo announced a series of New Nintendo 2DS XL systems, supporting a sleek, clean and pretty clamshell design with all the feature of the New 3DS, simply minus the 3D. 

Fire Emblem Echoes also isn't some sort of last hurrah for the system either, as several first party titles, from Hey Pikmin and an unannounced Kirby 25th anniversary multiplayer game are headed for 3DS after Echoes. 

Plus, I think that the rumored Pokemon Stars, will infact not launch exclusively on 3DS, or maybe both 3DS and Switch (which would be weird). Remember, Pokmon Black and White 2 came out well into a year after the launch of the 3DS for the OG DS. 

The 3DS is far from dead, as it seems to be getting hardcore support from Nintendo not only this year but possibly even next year. 

Thus, there are really only one of two factors for Echoes being a financial failure: 1) Classic/Old FE based gameplay, mechanics, thematic structures, simply have no place in 2017, an era where Awakening and Fates and their new mechanics spurred a seemingly golden era for FE. 

2)Literally no one cares about Echoes, since it is a remake of Gaiden (which is perhaps the most hated and divisive game in the franchise, falling apart of the infamous "number two" sequel that plagued the NES, like Zelda II and Mario II being a Doki Doki Panic reskin). 

Edited by Dandee Leone

3 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Another point of contention, claiming that Echoes success is compounded by the notion that the 3DS is a dead platform couldn't be further from the truth it seems.

Just yesterday, Nintendo announced a series of New Nintendo 2DS XL systems, supporting a sleek, clean and pretty clamshell design with all the feature of the New 3DS, simply minus the 3D. 

Fire Emblem Echoes also isn't some sort of last hurrah for the system either, as several first party titles, from Hey Pikmin and an unannounced Kirby 25th anniversary multiplayer game are headed for 3DS after Echoes. 

Plus, I think that the rumored Pokemon Stars, will infact not launch exclusively on 3DS, or maybe both 3DS and Switch (which would be weird). Remember, Pokmon Black and White 2 came out well into a year after the launch of the 3DS for the OG DS. 

The 3DS is far from dead, as it seems to be getting hardcore support from Nintendo not only this year but possibly even next year. 

Thus, there are really only two factors for Echoes being a financial failure: 1) Classic/Old FE based gameplay, mechanics, thematic structures, simply have no place in 2017, an era where Awakening and Fates and their new mechanics spurred a seemingly golden era for FE. 

2)Literally no one cares about Echoes, since it is a remake of Gaiden (which is perhaps the most hated and divisive game in the franchise, falling apart of the infamous "number two" sequel that plagued the NES, like Zelda II and Mario II being a Doki Doki Panic reskin). 

1. The New 2DS is meant for people who don't have a 3DS already (somehow).

2. Yeah but Echoes will likely sell more than Hey Pikmin.

3. Pokemon is Pokemon. It's release period is irrelevant because Pokemon will always sell amazingly.

4. The 3DS is still dying. It's just slowly dying.

5. No and no. Classic FE elements can still work today. Echoes is just more different than classic. And "literally no one cares about Gaiden/Echoes" is the biggest lie i have ever heard.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

1. The New 2DS is meant for people who don't have a 3DS already (somehow).

2. Yeah but Echoes will likely sell more than Hey Pikmin.

3. Pokemon is Pokemon. It's release period is irrelevant because Pokemon will always sell amazingly.

4. The 3DS is still dying. It's just slowly dying.

5. No and no. Classic FE elements can still work today. Echoes is just more different than classic. And "literally no one cares about Gaiden/Echoes" is the biggest lie i have ever heard.

Ofcourse the New 2DS is for people who don't already have and existing system within the 3DS family, but the fact that it releases in 2017 speaks something larger, that Nintendo is still serious about supporting the 3DS, at the very least this year, and very likely next year as well, meaning that the 3DS still has about a year and half of life in it. That's what I was saing, that as of right, the 3DS isn't dead, and still has a healthy life going for it. Infact, this year's release are already better than the 3DS launch year, as well as 2015 (where we literally got crap games for the most part).

25 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Thus, there are really only two factors for Echoes being a financial failure: 1) Classic/Old FE based gameplay, mechanics, thematic structures, simply have no place in 2017, an era where Awakening and Fates and their new mechanics spurred a seemingly golden era for FE. 

Echoes does not have classic fire emblem gameplay, quite the contrary.

7 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Ofcourse the New 2DS is for people who don't already have and existing system within the 3DS family, but the fact that it releases in 2017 speaks something larger, that Nintendo is still serious about supporting the 3DS, at the very least this year, and very likely next year as well, meaning that the 3DS still has about a year and half of life in it. That's what I was saing, that as of right, the 3DS isn't dead, and still has a healthy life going for it. Infact, this year's release are already better than the 3DS launch year, as well as 2015 (where we literally got crap games for the most part).

The 3DS doesn't have a healthy life right now actually. It's in it's twilight years. I doubt we'll see much 3DS games in 2018.

Also, 2015 sucked for gaming in general.

"financial failure"

just fucking lol

i have a feeling that you are not privy to how much budget they spent and how much profit they are currently making especially at such an early time

Edited by Tryhard

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The 3DS doesn't have a healthy life right now actually. It's in it's twilight years. I doubt we'll see much 3DS games in 2018.

Also, 2015 sucked for gaming in general.

If that's the case, then why did it sell 66 million? And why are there still a lot of games coming from the system? Sure compared to the switch, the list of games don't mean much but if Nintendo wanted to ditch the 3DS, then they wouldn't have even revealed 3DS games for the direct now would they? I mean if what you're saying is true, then it would only make sense for Nintendo to bench out echoes into switch instead of releasing to the 3DS right?

It is dying but that doesn't mean it doesn't have games still...and even if its dead, it wouldn't matter since majority of the games are not backwards compatible with the Switch even. So there will be people who would rather game with a 70$ 2DS and just play games for that reason. And sure, maybe Nintendo might want people to get the Switch but they themselves stated that they want to support the 3DS as much as possible.

And yes...2015 was just horrible...both for gaming and personally for Nintendo as well.....*sniff*.

16 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Echoes does not have classic fire emblem gameplay, quite the contrary.

He did make a choice of points though...so it could possibly be the second point.

37 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Thus, there are really only two factors for Echoes being a financial failure:

131,000 copies sold with an 80-100% sell-through rate is a financial failure only if you don't know anything about game sales. At this point, the only people who think Echoes is a financial failure are the people who are invested into making it one, ignoring facts and logic in favor of doom and gloom mongering.